Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
My local newspaper is full of this garbage. Here's one comparing "abortionists" to child molesters:

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/opinion/mailbag/where-s-outrage-action-concerning-abortions/article_7015defa-2061-11e1-9be5-0019bb2963f4.html

ignorance over Occupy Wall Street:
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/opinion/mailbag/anti-business-attitude-won-t-help-economy/article_2da6080e-1a19-11e1-8cef-001cc4c03286.html

Oh, and the end times are coming!
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/opinion/mailbag/article_e0e48614-f90f-11e0-a7a3-001cc4c002e0.html

This is a paper that published all of this, yet refused to publish my letter addressing the media bias regarding OWS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I don't even have words for this one:

quote:

Protesters use tactics of mayhem and bedlam

The editors of Time magazine have come to a rather bizarre decision in choosing their “Person of the Year” award for 2011. It is staggering. The oddity of their choice lessens respect for that publication.

Their choice? The “protesters.” Many of us recoil in exasperation at such an undeserving choice. Managing editor Rich Stengel said, “It felt right.”

The words “protesters,” “demonstrators” and “occupiers” all sound so innocent and well-meaning. These folks are counted by Time as noble, caring and only fighting for equality.

Not true! In many cases, these street occupiers start fires, flout the law, fight with police and engage in violence. Their actions indicate they disdain civility. They take over parks and public places — and leave mountains of trash and debris. Their general unkemptness is revolting.

They have no stated agenda. They have no validity. They have no credibility. Their tactics are mayhem and bedlam. They skirt the halls of Congress. They avoid civil discourse. They flee amiable debate. They are very disrespectful.

They seem to loathe those who are successful, who are ambitious, who work hard and who play by the rules in our economy-building capitalist system. Their general demeanor reflects bad manners and bad tactics.

Yet, Time magazine elevates them to a high honor in choosing them as “Person of the Year.” Time’s record in its annual choices is quite spotty. In 1938, its choice for “Person of the Year” was Adolf Hitler.

Love how it goes all :godwin: at the end there.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I think this was from a time capsule or something:

quote:

Spread the word about dangers of alcohol

Often under the guise of a “health food” or as an ingredient in many recipes, the promotion of alcoholic spirits is sadly overtaking our culture, as it insidiously lures individuals deeper and deeper into addiction. Promoted as a sign of “gourmet” or “fine cooking” many cookbooks, TV chefs and cooking magazines promote the use of alcohol in the preparation of food.

Whether through lack of knowledge or misinformation, many of these cooking “professionals” believe that alcohol, when subjected to the heat of cooking, somehow “boils away” leaving only the flavor.

This is a myth! According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture – Nutrient Data Laboratory, it takes about three hours to eliminate almost all traces of alcohol. In some recipes, as much as 85 percent of alcohol is retained.

Recipes calling for use of spirits present a clear and present danger. The potential serious problems associated with cooking with alcohol are fully realized when one considers the categories of people for whom even a minute amount of alcohol is detrimental and even dangerous. Examples include persons with weakened or diseased livers, expectant mothers and recovering alcoholics.

Many people may not be aware that alcohol use can increase their cancer risk. The website of the American Cancer Society lists several types of cancer linked to alcohol use, including cancers of the mouth, throat, voice box, esophagus, liver, breast, colon and rectum. Alcohol is a drug that kills cells.

Please spread the word about the harmful effects of alcohol during April’s Alcohol Awareness Month!

Loreta Jent

The writer is Illinois P.R. director of the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union

Oh yeah, and here's the response from the paper when some people were pissed to see they were one of the ones who didn't run the Doonesbury strips

quote:

There have been a few readers who have asked about The Pantagraph’s recent decision not to publish a series of strips of the Doonesbury comic.

For those not familiar with the issues, the six strips focused on a new Texas law that requires counseling and a sonogram before women can receive an abortion in Texas. The law is controversial. Some see it as an affront to their civil liberties and a woman’s right to choose. Others see it as a deterrent to abortion.

No one who reads Doonesbury on a regular basis will be surprised that author Garry Trudeau’s series was critical of the new law and he made the point that the law is representative of the way the Republican Party views women.

The distributors of the Doonesbury strip warned editors that the series of cartoons may be offensive to some readers and offered replacement strips if editors didn’t want to publish the original ones.

I want to use this column to explain how we made that decision at The Pantagraph and discuss the one mistake we made.

Such notices from the suppliers of comic strips are not unusual and the issue comes up more often with the Doonesbury strip than most others. No one worries too much about Family Circus nearing the boundaries of good taste.

The series by Trudeau dealt with the new Texas abortion law in such a way, however, that caused many editors here to question whether it was appropriate to print in the newspaper. The question centered around one strip, which was more explicit than made us comfortable. Although our issues were primarily with this one day’s strip, there was no way to run the others in a series and leave out one.

Several of us discussed the issue and decided that we wouldn’t publish the Texas abortion law strips. Instead, we opted for re-runs of former Doonesbury comics.

Our decision was based solely on the explicit content and not the political stance Trudeau took. A factor in the decision was that Doonesbury appears on the comics page, a page which could attract our youngest readers. If we didn’t want views like those portrayed in Doonesbury in The Pantagraph, we’d quit running the strip entirely.

The Doonesbury strip is published in 1,400 papers in the U.S. I haven’t seen an exact count, but most reports say that about 100 papers carried substitutes for the Texas abortion law strips. Others moved the strip for the week from the comics page to the editorial page.

The mistake I made was not ensuring that we let readers know of our decision at the time it was made. That allowed some readers — and the McLean County Democratic Party — to openly wonder if the newspaper’s stance was a political one. We should have given readers an explanation so they would know our decision was based on the explicit nature of the strip and not the politics. I’ll try not to make that mistake again.

As I wrote last week, I’m always open to suggestions, compliments or complaints. I’ve heard from many of you since then.

We thought it would offend people. Maybe it should?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Boxman posted:

I think the kid is just mourning the death of our space program, and is trying to get a movement going where people are calling for a return to the moon. At least, that's what i hope. :allears:

It's a shame that we can prove we went there with the mirrors that were left, thus negating any need to go back to prove this kid wrong.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

quote:

Do students need more math classes or better classes?

Requiring high school graduates to complete four years of math seems like a good idea on the surface.

But does it really add up in the long run?

It appears that the proposal will have to wait at least another year after the Senate recently approved the formation of a special task force to further study the four-year requirement.

The proposal has been floated by state Sen. Mike Freichs, D-Gifford, and others because students are going to college unprepared for math classes and entering the workforce without adequate math skills.

Under the proposal approved by a Senate committee, a panel of educators will submit a report to the General Assembly by March 2013 with an eye toward instituting new math requirements over the next four years. The legislation, Senate Bill 3244, is headed to the full Senate.

A fundamental question that the panel should address is whether the answer is more math classes or better math classes? Many students, and adults, have anecdotes about math teaching methods that simply don’t work. Since math generally builds on each concept, the student that fails to grasp one aspect of the curriculum can quickly fall behind and be lost.

So does it make sense to require an additional year of math if the teaching methods may be at least part of the problem?

In addition, the idea of students not being prepared for college-level math classes needs to be examined more closely. While the “blame” is often placed on high school math preparedness, it could also be a case of misplaced expectations by college instructors. The dividing line between what constitutes high school math and what is “college-level math” is blurry at best.

There are other, practical ramifications to an additional year of math. It may cost schools more to provide the instructors for additional classes. Given the state’s current budget situation and the budget constraints felt by many schools districts, that could be a huge factor. Adding a year of math could also affect the ability of students to take other classes, including some students who are earning college credits by taking dual credit courses.

There is plenty of evidence that high school graduates are not meeting the requirements that colleges and employers expect in the subject of math.

The problem is a real one. The solution, however, may not be as simple as adding more requirements. The discussion needs to center around whether students need more math classes, better math classes or a combination of both.

You know, I expect this kind of thing to be written in, but this is actually what the paper's staff thinks.

Notice that they don't define "better"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Indiana doesn't deserve democracy.

This is the story. I'll spare you the Facebook posts but they're poo poo too.

Is there a link to that poll? I'm not seeing it in the AP article.

• Locked thread