Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP
I fully expected the media to rally around their BFF, Tony Perkins, but Dana Milbank's latest column takes the loving cake.

Dana Milbank posted:

Human Rights Campaign isn’t responsible for the shooting. Neither should the organization that deemed the FRC a “hate group,” the Southern Poverty Law Center, be blamed for a madman’s act. But both are reckless in labeling as a “hate group” a policy shop that advocates for a full range of conservative Christian positions, on issues from stem cells to euthanasia.

I disagree with the Family Research Council’s views on gays and lesbians. But it’s absurd to put the group, as the law center does, in the same category as Aryan Nations, Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, Stormfront and the Westboro Baptist Church. The center says the FRC “often makes false claims about the LGBT community based on discredited research and junk science.” Exhibit A in its dossier is a quote by an FRC official from 1999 (!) saying that “gaining access to children has been a long-term goal of the homosexual movement.”

Offensive, certainly. But in the same category as the KKK?

Honestly, I should post the entire thing and bold every word. It's not even just a matter of false equivalency, he cherry picked one example from a long list to mislead readers into thinking that the SPLC labeled the FRC a hate group based on statements from more than a decade ago which is a lie. It's also ironic that he would harp on comparisons to white supremacist groups when it was Tony's dealings with David Duke and the Council of Conservative Citizens that helped tank his 2002 Senate run.

Dana Milbank posted:

Late Thursday, the law center fired back at Perkins, defending its categorization of the FRC as a hate group because it “has knowingly spread false and denigrating propaganda about LGBT people.” The center said that Perkins should stop putting out “claims that are provably false” about gay people.

Yes, Perkins should stop doing that. But even if he doesn’t, the Southern Poverty Law Center should stop listing a mainstream Christian advocacy group alongside neo-Nazis and Klansmen.

So the FRC can continue to incite fear and hatred of LGBT people without consequence but the "reckless" Southern Poverty Law Center and the Human Rights Campaign must stop labeling them a hate group this instant. Oh, and those decades where the Ku Klux Klan were considered a "mainstream Christian advocacy group" apparently never happened. :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

KomradeX posted:

I don't think this is really a terrible editorial, but for lack of a better place for discussion

[Url] http://www.salon.com/2014/04/01/my_white_liberal_frenemies_when_twitter_exchanges_reveal_untrustworthy_allies/?source=newsletter[/url]

While she is right that there are plenty of liberals who ate racist or just dismissive of minorities opinions I think #CancelColbert is shaky ground to build that on.

It was on shaky ground because the "activist" behind it is a profoundly ill person that has latched on to various social justice causes. I don't understand how you can openly be internet BFFs with Michelle Malkin who, aside from writing a book supporting Japanese internment in order to make the case for Muslim internment, has contributed articles to loving VDARE since 2002, and have any credibility as an anti-racist activist. She's like the second coming of Hugo Schwyzer. :psyduck:

• Locked thread