Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Gearbox has picked up the shambles of the 15 year long running joke that is the release of Duke Nukem Forever and actually turned out a game that is real, went gold and has a playable demo available right now. We had a long running thread that was tracking, mocking and glorifying the return of Duke. With the demo out and the release days away, it's time we move on and talk about the actual game now. This is not the one sides Bro fest of the previous title, this is for everyone, who either likes or doesn't like the title. This is the new Duke Nukem thread, talk about what you like or didn't like, share your opinions and talk about the game here. If modding/scripting advances, we can make a seperate PC thread, but right now let's try to contain all of Duke in this thread.

What is Duke Nukem?

Duke Nukem is an over the top parody of action movies and machismo. He is crude, he isn't very deep and he speaks in stolen one liners and insists on making your mom jokes whenever possible. Duke is a giant 12 year old boy, the man we all wished we could be as kids and the symbol of unabashed juvenile humor.

You shoot monsters, look at babes, talk in quotes and generally do bad rear end stuff.

The original Duke Nukem 3D is available on GOG and Xbox Live, with an updated port in the works.

A dummy told me this game is ugly, is my stupid friend a virgin?
Probably, look at some of these screenshots from the demo

Cyborgmatt posted:

No-clipping around the first level, came across the hotel section they use for the cutscene, you can walk around/interact with doors, has a bunch of extra rooms you don't get to see. Click to see the fullsize version.

I heard you slap women and throw poop in this game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FV9ZF621uc
Yeah, you do. Sorry. This isn't very evolved gameplay, if you want something deeper go read a book. We suggest Duke Nukem's Guide to the Internet. The game is very crude and obviously based around how much you like Duke Nukem. If his antics don't appeal to you, the gameplay isn't enough to make you love this game. You kind of have to accept Duke for what he is to get the most of out this game.

My POV IS OFF! Gigabite the ram of my monitor! Techno nerd babble!

gibbed posted:

I figured out how to enable the console. Add -log to the command-line arguments, turn fullscreen off since the log window shows up as a separate window for easy access.

Unfortunately a lot of the console commands I'm trying are not really working. However, I did find a couple.

set Engine.PlayerPawn bInfiniteAmmo true
set Engine.PlayerPawn bInstaGib true
set Engine.PlayerPawn bGodMode true
set Engine.PlayerPawn bGhostMode true

:siren: set Engine.PlayerPawn DefaultFOV 120

A huge value like 200 causes the game to spaz, naturally. :v:
Hell yes! I figured out a way to hack up weapons not normally accessible in the demo.

This involves changing the spawn of pickups to a different weapon.

For example, change the Devastator pickup to be the Freeze Ray:

set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.Pistol'
set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.Shotgun'
set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.MachineGun'
set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.EnforcerGun'
set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.Railgun'
set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.RPG'
set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.FreezeRay'
set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.Devastator'
set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.FreezeRay'
set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.ATLaser'
set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.ATCaptainLaser'
set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.TripMine'
set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.WallBomb'
set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.PipeBomb'
set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.Steroids'
set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.Holoduke'

I've only actually tested the FreezeRay so far, setting it to a bad value will cause crashes.

set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.Nuke'

Jetpacks?! set dnGame.DevastatorPickup InventoryType Class'dnGame.Jetpack'
Seems to start with no fuel.

So talk about Duke, talk about the game, but don't bother trolling people who like the game and Duke's Bros show some balls of steel and don't let people goad you into things, every one has different opinions and this game isn't for everyone, respect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Why the gently caress didn't I bet on duke?

Wanna play that demo

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Always bet on Duke.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

For anyone who doesn't get the privilege of playing the demo for whatever reason, then I highly recommend playing through Duke3d (again) to prepare for the release.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If I preorder the game right now, do I get the demo, or has the window closed?

e: or is that not how it works at all and I'm just confused

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Some cheat codes:

Type in DNCLIP to activate no clipping.

Type in DNWEAPONS to have all the weapons spawn for you.

There's some sort of rhythm in order to type them in correctly, so keep trying at different speeds until you get it.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Have you played the demo, Axe or are you saving yourself?

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Game of the year 2011 - Duke Nukem 5.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Call of Dukey

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I can't wait to get home and try the demo. 15 long years.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
The turd was slightly disappointing, I threw it at the white board when the dude asked me if I had something I wanted to add. It did not smear.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I pre-ordered the game at Gamestop, how can I dl the demo, brothers?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I feel terrible about this (and what a lovely way to start this new glorious thread) but I have no other option but to cancel my BoS preorder. Got my paycheck today and realized I will probably need all the extra cash to survive through summer if I don't manage to get a new job, which at this point is too uncertain to count on.

...instead I'll be getting the Nordic-exclusive Kick rear end edition! I'll post all about it next week (provided it gets here on Friday), with pictures, for all you guys who are missing out on that particular edition and the crazy-rear end 3D poster thing.

Also we should probably have a post on the first page for multiplayer info so that people can hit goons up for jetpack shenanigans.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I do like the demo, although I find it a bit short. Did anyone else think the truck controls were a little off?

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Yeah definitely do the FOV stuff, the demo isn't bad, just the stock config :shobon: Click for huge

Default (75)

170 :pcgaming:

And before someone complains about vsync - DOWNLOAD AND RUN THIS AND FORCE VSYNC AND TRIPLE BUFFERING THROUGH IT, DISABLE IT IN-GAME

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
What are the chances of being able to pick up a BoS edition a few months down the road? Currently unemployed, but would love a bust of the king.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Ax, add this to the OP for improving demo performance:

- You can fix the mouse input by disabling vsync
- Turning off motion blur and post-processing sharpens the game up and looks much better IMO

quote:

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

An FOV of 100 is the sweet spot for 16:10 monitors, and 90 for 16:9, 120 is a little too I CAN SEE FOREVER, and thank god this is also relative to the gun model distance

Also, consider using FSAA over FXAA. Despite being easier on the rendering speed, FXAA tends to be blurrier than normal AA, especially in motion, so I'd just go with FSAA, as the speed tradeoff shouldn't be horrible if you have a recent card

And if you're still on the fence with vsync, D3Doverrider + forced vsync/triple buffering is sooooooooooo much nicer

And with all that, I liked the demo

Cheats:

dnclip
dndebug
dnrate
dnweapons

KungfooMF
Feb 21, 2002

This poo poo is now real. I am going to spend this whole summer drunk and playing this game. Getting it on PC, too, only because I hear it has better load times.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Xenaero posted:

I do like the demo, although I find it a bit short. Did anyone else think the truck controls were a little off?

If you use the 4WD control (space), it's a lot tighter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yall wanna see Duke's Duke?:
http://i.imgur.com/8n1Bd.jpg
Not this time, I suppose.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know this is pretty un-Bro of me, but I just cancelled my Balls of Steel Edition pre-order after playing the demo for the 3rd time.

The stuff that I don't like about the demo vastly outweighs what I do like, and I just don't think it lives up to the Duke name.

Maybe the retail release will be a lot better since this demo is a year old and a lot of things could have been changed between now and then, but if not and the demo is mostly indicative of how the final product will be, I can't justify paying more than bargain bin price for it, let alone the $100 I had set aside for the BoS edition.

I'll wait and see what the reviews are like on release day, maybe rent it later on to see if it's gotten any better. But unfortunately, the demo isn't doing much for me. The most fun I had in the demo was picking up the poo poo and running around with it, pissing in the urinal and writing on the whiteboard. Classic Duke stuff. But when it came to the actual gameplay, I just didn't really have that much fun, truth be told.

I wanted to love it, I honestly did. But it just isn't living up to the hype for me so far.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

RickDaedalus posted:

The turd was slightly disappointing, I threw it at the white board when the dude asked me if I had something I wanted to add. It did not smear.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who tried this. Kinda wish you got a reaction from it.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
I really hope we get a map editor at some point... duke3d was one of the first games I ever tried making content for, and I would love to make some terrible gimmick maps for DNF!

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
Will this come packaged with TEN, or do I need to download some third party client to play multiplayer?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Well I won't be able to buy the game for a while, but the demo is pretty good. Not great, but still :dukedog:

Also I think I spent like 20 minutes just laughing at duke's lines as I threw poo poo at walls and people and such.

mancide
May 2, 2007

Addicted to Gamerscore

PhattWebb posted:

What are the chances of being able to pick up a BoS edition a few months down the road? Currently unemployed, but would love a bust of the king.

I would guess pretty good since they negated the first introduction of BoS which was supposed to be "extremely limited" to an open-ended has been available for pre-order from Amazon forever type thing it currently is.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I'm very interested in what the Multiplayer will be like.

Very, very interested. I hope there is some co-op as well.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Will we be allowed to play multiplayer with tweaked FOV? What anti-cheat is it going to use? :ohdear:

Bash Ironfist posted:

Also I think I spent like 20 minutes just laughing at duke's lines as I threw poo poo at walls and people and such.

They still make me laugh. Tweak yourself to infinite ammo and toss the HoloDuke around and listen to it.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

A lifetime of wariness towards this game has been overwritten by the desire to make Duke throw poop everywhere.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

quote:

Log: STEAM Received overlay activated notification: Active: N
Log: Browse: Map01?Game=dnGame.dnSinglePlayer?Difficulty=2?peer#StartingPoint
Log: LoadMap: Map01?Game=dnGame.dnSinglePlayer?Difficulty=2?peer#StartingPoint

Looks like I went too far in Duke's Penthouse and Broke the game. It also saved here, so if I reload it tries to start Map01 again :(

I've played through the demo 3 times now, and will definitely be at gamestop for the midnight release. Demo only got me that much more excited.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I remember me and my friends making jokes about this game all the way back in middle school. Now the game is finally coming to life! (p.s. I'm in college).

wasianchickn
Sep 4, 2006

welp
Hopefully multi-monitor will work properly or be easily tweaked post-release; gotta maximize my Duke action.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I used to play co-op Duke Nukem 64 with my friends all the time. Loved that game. I am seriously pumped for this one, and I hope it does super well.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

KFCB posted:

Have you played the demo, Axe or are you saving yourself?

I loaded it up, it looks like what I played in vegas at Titty City, but I wasn't allowed to play past the first level. It was a bit different, they showed more of Duke's home, after the twins blow you, you could get up and walk around and check out the entire pad, which is what really sold me on the game. They nailed every little detail you could hope for, they got it and it was good.

I hope to see more of that in the full game, the demo was lacking a lot of the charm of the game, even from that press demo. Strange move, maybe they hobbled together a demo just to make good on the FAC promise, but they didn't do a good job on it.

Also a bit sad to see things like no footprints in the poo poo or blood. Made me feel a bit removed from the world, wonder if that is just a console thing or if the PC version will have that.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I still have a first access code or whatever they call it from buying Borderlands on Steam. Any word on how or when they're going to honor that? I'm really anxious to try this game out.

EDIT: poo poo! The demo is out? Why do I always learn about these things when I'm at work? :argh:

Commie Eggman
Oct 18, 2003

by Fistgrrl

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

I loaded it up, it looks like what I played in vegas at Titty City, but I wasn't allowed to play past the first level. It was a bit different, they showed more of Duke's home, after the twins blow you, you could get up and walk around and check out the entire pad, which is what really sold me on the game. They nailed every little detail you could hope for, they got it and it was good.

I hope to see more of that in the full game, the demo was lacking a lot of the charm of the game, even from that press demo. Strange move, maybe they hobbled together a demo just to make good on the FAC promise, but they didn't do a good job on it.

Also a bit sad to see things like no footprints in the poo poo or blood. Made me feel a bit removed from the world, wonder if that is just a console thing or if the PC version will have that.

You can do this in the demo sort of. If you noclip straight down from the start of the demo, you can get to the pad. Turning off the lights triggers everything.

When you play pool, the twins tell you to stop playing with your balls.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Does the shotgun feel like a proper shotgun?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I really do get the feeling that what we saw in the demo were some of the worst/most boring/mediocre parts of the game. And you know what? They were still pretty loving fun... not quite as fun as we may have built up in our heads, but still enjoyable unless you have a stick up your rear end.

They could've extended the opening "story" sequence just a bit longer and I would've been happy. Like the part where Duke goes on that talk show to plug his new book, and you can autograph a copy for the kid and his dad... have that part of the demo end at the mothership coming down. Then cut to the shrink-ray truck part. If they had to show off the vehicle gameplay they could've at least picked a more interesting level.

Basically the fact that the demo is just the PAX early-build tech demo smacks of laziness, since the game is complete and I'm sure there are far, far better parts in the game. But whatever, I'll still (re)buy this. But not right on release-day, I'm thinking maybe... 4th of July Weekend, baby. Steaks, explosives, and Duke.

And here, have my version of Duke's Plan for "Operation Cock Block":

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

It was amusing, but the whole loving game better be amusing to get my money because it didn't exactly have much else going for it.