Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oops. Yes. Battleminds MC Fighter :P

I knew what I was talking about. I wasn't being bleary because I got home at 2am. Not in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

dog kisser posted:

Isn't Polearm Momentum Fighter only? That's what the Character Builder says.

Yes it is, you'd have to pick up a multiclass fighter feat to have access to it. Not sure which one would be the best, wrathful warrior would give you a once per encounter temp hp boost

adaz fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 19, 2011

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

Knight

Okay, so first, don't pump Con, pump Wisdom instead. Your goal is the 15 required by Superior Will, which you really, really want. Knights can't do their job when they're dazed.

Battle Wrath is not actually very good, the bonus to damage is somewhat nominal. Poised Assault is a much better all-around stance, but you really ought to reconsider Hammer Hands. It lets you redefine the battlefield and is particularly good because the Knight's punishment triggers on shifting, so enemies tend to stay where you put them. While harder to use than something simple like Poised Assault, Hammer Hands can, when used well, make you a much more effective defender. Use it to clump the baddies up so you can maximize the number of enemies in your aura. Don't replace Defend the Line: you want to be in DtL as often as possible when it's not your turn.

Shield Edge Block looks good but unless you're using inherent bonuses it's kind of wonky in practice. I thinks it's okay until late paragon but others will disagree. The damage is always going to be low.

Get a neck slot item (Amulet of Life is good, Badge of the Berserker feels cheap), definitely grab the Braces of Mighty Striking, and check out the Demonskin Tattoo, which gives you resist 5 to a variable energy type when you AP. Can really turn certain fights around, and it's cheap and doesn't take up a slot.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
Hey all, I have... an interesting character build I want to get some critique on.

You see, I DM a 4e game... but I have yet to play in one beyond a one shot here and there. So, I have a bunch of ideas I want to try out. Recently, one of my games was cancelled due to too few players showing up. During that downtime, I decided to fiddle with the Star Pact Warlock and see what kind of build I could make with it. I was originally going for a crazed "The Sky is Falling" sort of approach initially, but it turned out quite a bit more interesting.

Using all the books at my disposal, I put together a build I call the "Revolving Doorlock." I haven't looked into equipment quite yet, but I have skills and feats all the way to 30th. Have a look and tell me what you think. I apologize a bit for the mess. I did this the old-fashioned way on a character sheet and didn't think to specify which levels what what, so it may be off here and there.

==================================================

Chicken Little the Revolving Doorlock
Kenku Warlock/Student of Caiphon/Radiant One
Warlock Pact: Star Pact
Twofold Pact Choice: Vestige Pact
Background: Followed a Cult (Stealth Class Skill)

Starting Scores: 10 STR, 13 CON, 14 DEX, 14 INT, 11 WIS, 18 CHA
Final Scores: 12 STR, 17 CON, 16 DEC, 20 INT, 13 WIS, 26 CHA

AC: 41, Fort: 41, Ref: 45, Will: 43
HP: 174, Surges: 9, Surge Value: 43

Trained Skills:
Arcana +25, Bluff +36, Stealth +25, Thievery +23

Untrained Skills:
Acrobatics +18, Athletics +16, Diplomacy +23, Dungeoneering +16, Endurance +18, Heal +16, History +20, Insight +21, Intimidate +29, Nature + 16, Perception +21, Religion + 20, Streetwise +23.

Powers:
Warlock At-Will: Eldritch Blast
Star Pact At-Will: Dire Radiance
Fey Pact At-Will: Eyes of the Vestige
Encounter 1: Dreadful Word
Daily 1: Prophecy of Zhudun
Utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Encounter 3: Delban's Deadly Attention
Daily 5: Fury of Gibbeth
Utility 6: Fate's Frayed Thread
Encounter 7: All the Sand, All the Stars
Daily 9: Thief of Five Fates
Utility 10: Accursed Souls
Paragon Path Encounter 11: Trust in the Guide Star
Paragon Path Utility 12: Steps on the Purple Stair
Encounter 13: Dark Reach of Xevut (Replacing Delban's Deadly Distraction)
Daily 15: Far Realm Glimpse (Replacing Prophecy of Zhudun)
Utility 16: Vile Resonance
Encounter 17: Strand of Fate (Replacing Dreadful Word)
Daily 19: Wrath of Acamar (Replaces Fury of Gibbeth)
Paragon Path Daily 20: Caiphon's Hungry Mercy
Utility 22: Ulban's Shiny Cloak
Encounter 23: Maddening Whispers (Replaces All the Sand, All the Stars)
Daily 25: Instruction to Darkness (Replaces Thief of Five Fates)
Epic Destiny Utility 26: Star Flesh
Encounter 27: Banish to the Void (Replaces Strand of Fate)
Daily 29: Caiphon's Abominable Melody (Replaces Far Realm Glimpse)

Feats:
Feat 1: Rod Expertise
Feat 2: Improved Defenses
Feat 4: Hidden Sniper
Feat 6: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Feat 8: Sacrifice to Caiphon
Feat 10: Improved Fate of the Void
Feat 11: Relentless Curse
Feat 12: Twofold Curse
Feat 14: Veil of Waking Dreams
Feat 16: Psychic Lock
Feat 18: Twofold Pact (Vestige)
Feat 20: Bleak Guide's Return
Feat 21: Warlock Implement Expertise
Feat 22: Student of the Athanaeum
Feat 24: Epic Resurgence
Feat 26: Cursed Spells
Feat 28: Curse of Doom Ensured
Feat 30: Epic Fortitude

Equipment:
Rod of Ulban +6, Rod of Vulnerability +6, Leather Armor of Dark Majesty +6, Skull Bracers +6, Boots of Caiphon, Hands of Hadar, Skull Mask, Torc of Power Preservation +6, Ring of Khirad, Ring of Greater Spell Storing, Baldric of Valor, Resurgence Tattoo

==================================================

It's definitely an odd build, I'll say that much. It really doesn't show anything special until mid-Paragon to near the start of Epic - where the Revolving Door concept starts coming into play. Basically, this build focuses on using save ends abilities that shunt targets out of play, then punishing them with Dark Reach of Xevut when they return and use the secondary effect to banish another target.

Since this build relies heavily on one specific power - Dark Reach of Xevut - to function, both the feats and the PP involve methods of getting powers back. Sacrifice to Caiphon, Bleak Guide's Return, Student of the Athanaeum, and Epic Resurgence (along with the standard feats to improve hit chances, criticals and damage) focus on getting back Dark Reach on either a miss or critical, while Student of the Athanaeum focuses on getting back Caiphon's Hungry Mercy.

Hungry Mercy is the fun one in this, making this build a potential power battery. Everyone in the effect gets to roll a d6, regaining an encounter on a 1-5, and a daily on a 6. The Revolving Doorlock will most likely recover Dark Reach on a 1-5, or recover Hungry Mercy right back on a d6... using the Athanaeum feat to recover it if it's needed again and it's not available. Obviously, this would be further improved with equipment that reduces saving throws on the target, or also allows the recovery of powers (I believe there's an armor that lets you recover a power by burning a healing surge, but the name escapes me).

It's not the most reliable or deadly build out there, but it strikes me as a lot of fun. Also, for optimization you'd probably want a Tiefling or Gnome... or something else that has CON/CHA or INT/CHA bonuses... but I really liked the idea of a bird talking about the sky trying to kill everyone.

... Thoughts?

EDIT: vvvvvvv Aha, good suggestion! I completely overlooked that feat. Adjusted.
EDIT 2: Went back and built him back up in the Character Builder in order to look for some good items. Ended up changing a couple Utility powers and Feats as well due to it listing options I was unaware of.

Kobold fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 20, 2011

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'd take Hidden Sniper instead of Distant Advantage.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Another option to consider would be the Planeshifter PP, which gives you a banishing power every encounter at level 11. Everything else about it sucks, but it does get the gimmick online much earlier, and every encounter.

If you do stick with Student of Caiphon, take AIP for heavy blades and use a radiant longsword as a weapliment so that all of your attacks get the 18-20 crit range.

Salve of Power recharges an encounter power at the cost of a surge. Orb of Impenetrable Escape forces a target to reroll a save as a daily. Orb of Fickle Fate imposes a -2 penalty to saving throws (save ends) as a daily. A Phrenic Crown may or may not be useful depending on the power in question. Alternatively, a Crown of Equilibrium will turn you into a save-granting engine.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm working on a warforged artificer. Is there a reason I shouldn't put 20 in my intelligence stat after the racial bonus? I was thinking 10/16/10/20/11/8 after racials. Character concept would focus on a superior crossbow and not use implement powers.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Another option to consider would be the Planeshifter PP, which gives you a banishing power every encounter at level 11. Everything else about it sucks, but it does get the gimmick online much earlier, and every encounter.

If you do stick with Student of Caiphon, take AIP for heavy blades and use a radiant longsword as a weapliment so that all of your attacks get the 18-20 crit range.

Salve of Power recharges an encounter power at the cost of a surge. Orb of Impenetrable Escape forces a target to reroll a save as a daily. Orb of Fickle Fate imposes a -2 penalty to saving throws (save ends) as a daily. A Phrenic Crown may or may not be useful depending on the power in question. Alternatively, a Crown of Equilibrium will turn you into a save-granting engine.
Planeshifter looked interesting, but I really like Caiphon's Hungry Mercy for recharging powers both for myself and my allies... and the other perks it gives are pretty nice as well. Salve of Power sounds like a good thing to pick up, though, for sure. I was just positive there was a magic armor that had a similar effect. Perhaps it's just not available in leather?

Also, do you think that threat range boost from getting a radiant longsword would be worth dropping one of the two rods (In this case, probably the Rod of Vulnerability) and burning a feat on it? Caiphon's Guidance gives that threat range to radiant AND fear... most of my powers being the latter, save for a couple irregulars. Hence why I thought picking up the Skull Helm would be a good idea, since it'd make those harder to save against... which is actually the only reason I picked it up over the Phrenic Crown. The Crown of Equilibrium sounds like it'd make for a hilarious situation if the Doorlock ended up in a battle where a lot of saves were needed.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Well, you spend a feat on Warlock Implement Expertise anyway. AIP and a radiant weapon gives you double that benefit AND means you don't have to sink points into pumping Con, giving you more points for Int and Cursed Spells. Plus the actual item Radiant Weapon is really good too (double enhancement bonus to damage) and radiant is one of the best damage types to deal.

And you're probably thinking of pre-errata Veteran's Armor.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Ah, that must've been it. I knew one of my players had armor that did allowed the recovered power. I must've missed the errata.

Also, you make a good point. Why waste a feat for a 19-20 crit on all my spells when I can start critting with a wider range on all my spells right at the start of Paragon?

Hm. If I'm going to do that, though, picking up Font of Radiance at Epic would probably be a good idea as well. I was looking a Bleak Guide's Return anyway and thinking that it's pretty useless with Sacrifice to Caiphon giving me the exact same result with a minor hit to HP instead of having to crit with a Con-based at-will. I was thinking about swapping it out instead for Diminished Spirit Curse; it's a Heroic feat, but it'll give a -2 to the next save of the target if their both bloodied and subject to the Curse (which is quite possible with how I have this guy built). Might be good for keeping them out of play.

So, Arcane Implement Proficiency, Diminishing Spirit Curse, and Font of Radiance at the three tiers. I was also looking at Contagious Curse, but I don't know what to swap out for it in Epic - maybe Epic Fortitude? I'm thinking it'd work well with the Accursed Souls utility by killing a target, then marking everything around it and causing them to take both Necrotic and Curse damage simultaneously. Would that even work?

EDIT:
The final result would be something like this:

Feat 1: Rod Expertise
Feat 2: Improved Defenses
Feat 4: Hidden Sniper
Feat 6: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Feat 8: Sacrifice to Caiphon
Feat 10: Improved Fate of the Void
Feat 11: Arcane Implement Proficiency (Heavy Blades)
Feat 12: Relentless Curse
Feat 14: Twofold Curse
Feat 16: Veil of Waking Dreams
Feat 18: Twofold Pact (Vestige)
Feat 20: Diminishing Spirit Curse
Feat 21: Epic Resurgence
Feat 22: Student of the Athanaeum
Feat 24: Font of Radiance
Feat 26: Contagious Curse
Feat 28: Cursed Spells
Feat 30: Curse of Doom Ensured

I also have Killing and Brutal Curse sideboarded in case it's a game where the DM allows a couple free feats, which I would spend on getting the feat taxes out of the way.

Kobold fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 20, 2011

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Shield Edge Block looks good but unless you're using inherent bonuses it's kind of wonky in practice. I thinks it's okay until late paragon but others will disagree. The damage is always going to be low.

Shield edge block is a pretty decent power if your DM is the kind that Obeys Defender Marks all the time. As it burns up your immediate to make an attack miss you, if there's any hint that the DM likes to attack your allies, it's a bad power.

If you and and the monster you've marked get into a slugging match though, it can be useful.

The level 3 encounters for the Sword and board Fighter aren't anything really special, as the "recommended" power from the Fighter handbook, Parry and Riposte is also an immediate, although granting CA (and more damage than shield edge block) is better than forcing a miss for a class that is meant to take them.

All in all, Parry and Riposte is better, but look at Bull Charge or Probing Attack, I would suggest.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

All in all, Parry and Riposte is better, but look at Bull Charge or Probing Attack, I would suggest.

And at level 7, swap it for Come and Get It and never look back.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

I'm always the DM (usually 3-3.5) and never the player so frankly I could use some advice on this one. After consulting with the charop wiki and making a number of non-optimal choices for the purposes of Fun, I've built up most of my character. However, we're about to hit 6th level and non of the class utilities speak to me, really.

I starting looking at the skill powers and was trying to narrow it down a bit, so maybe this thread can help.

I'm playing a chasing avenger planning to go zealous assassin and then avatar of death, eventually, with a focus on mobility. I already have Distracting Flare for 6 invisible movement, and I feel like Aspect of Agility might be redundant (move, shift 5, +2 AC/Ref). I was debating between picking up Agile Recovery (stand as a minor at will) or else Tumbling Dodge (interrupt on hit, roll acrobatics for a bonus to defences) or else Anticipate Maneuver (minor, Insight v Bluff > combat advantage on success) to make using zealous assassin powers easier. I have overwhelming strike and deadly draw, but I'm finding that I often lose combat advantage after a round where I use an encounter or daily that doesn't slide the target. Thoughts?

Also, if consensus is that Aspect of Agility might be worth it, should I still consider getting Wings of Vengeance (move, fly 7 hover for 2 turns)?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Really Pants posted:

And at level 7, swap it for Come and Get It and never look back.

Pretty much this. Coming and/or Getting It, is the best thing a Defender can do for a round. It's ridiculous.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Drewjitsu posted:

Pretty much this. Coming and/or Getting It, is the best thing a Defender can do for a round. It's ridiculous.

I will relay this information to my brother. Thanks everyone for the advice, btw.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
It's also worth noting that the old way of getting CaGI on a knight (taking a fighter PP and Reserve Maneuver-swapping the path power) still works as well, so if you like you can get two Fighter encounter powers (or CaGI + one power from a class you multiclass into, though this costs an extra feat).

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

This isn't so much an optimization question as a "turn this concept into a functional striker" query.

I'm trying to build a level 2 character that is essentially a native american night-fighter.
So far I'm thinking an Executioner hybrid Barbarian (tempest) multiclass Monk (stone fist) with the Iron Wolf theme, dual-wielding kukris that have been refluffed as tomahawks. (the group is using a weapon patch for Assassins, which bumps up the damage dice of smaller weapons so Assassins have a reason to use things like daggers instead of giant warhammers).

I like the idea of the drow executioner|barb/monk:iron wolf, but I'm not totally fixated on it just yet. Rogue is out at the moment, mainly because everyone in the current group is sick to death of Rogues.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Short swords are straight better than kukri and don't require a feat to use.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
A player in my upcoming Paragon tier campaign wants to be, in his words, "a lancer" - a heavily armoured warrior with some sort of lance. I'm more of a DM than a player, really, what would the venerable Charop people recommend for this kind of build? Anything goes, we're using CB Oct 2010 update.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Lord Twisted posted:

Anything goes, we're using CB Oct 2010 update.

Well, I'd probably recommend a Cavalier who wields a Greatspear and uses his Call Celestial Steed for his mount, but I don't know if that is viable with your outdated version of the Character Builder... Perhaps a Paladin with a mundane mount?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jade Horse item.

Slayer.

Gouge (or Greatspear).

Impaling Spear.

Surprising Charge.

Etc.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I think I was unclear, he means something like a huge brute with a tower shield and a massive lance (not mounted). Like a walking tank, something like this:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j156/robertninja/Site/WK.jpg

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Much easier.

Pretty much any Fighter, Paladin, Warden, Warlord, Blackguard etc etc etc. Not so much the Slayers, sword-and-board doesn't work on them. Knight maybe, but you sacrifice a lot (although there is a brilliant non-standard spear-using Knight build based on CON and Polearm Momentum which is pretty solid).

e: Which role does he want to play?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Probably defender. I just hadn't heard of a build involving lances AND shields, and wondered if there were any feats or particular things he should be focusing on.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Lord Twisted posted:

I think I was unclear, he means something like a huge brute with a tower shield and a massive lance (not mounted). Like a walking tank, something like this:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j156/robertninja/Site/WK.jpg

As far as the race, Goliaths are about as big as you get in 4e. But with a shield/spear combo. As far as what weapon to use, that's kind of an issue because most of the good spears are two handed. For one handed spears you have the Spear,Trident,Tratnyr annd that's it as far as I know.

Trying to think of spear feats, the Eladrin and Elves have some I know, but the polearm feats require him to use something that's two-handed, not a one of the one handed spears is also a polearm

adaz fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 23, 2011

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lord Twisted posted:

Probably defender. I just hadn't heard of a build involving lances AND shields, and wondered if there were any feats or particular things he should be focusing on.

The most obvious use (or abuse) of Spears is Polearm Momentum.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
I built a spear/shield fighter once that was a lot of fun. It didn't involve a lot of cheese though (I think the "build" was me just picking the shield/spear fighter powers). I recall that he wasn't so good at dealing damage but excelled at controlling the battlefield.

i do NOT like BBQ
Jun 2, 2008
My 4th ed group recently finished our campaign, and after starting anew I settled on a brawler fighter. To this end I'm taking as many grappling powers as I can to maximize my to hit (+2/+4/+6 for grappling powers/moving grabbed targets/unarmed attacks) and using spiked gauntlets (count as unarmed) for free hand bonuses. For a race I chose a squole, because of the distribution of stats and the benefit of rolling twice on strength check grapples. The char is as follows.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
The Champ, level 1
Squole, Fighter
Fighter: Combat Agility
Fighter Talents: Brawler Style
Elemental Oozing: Elemental Oozing Cold
Background: Wandering Duelist (Wandering Duelist Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10.

AC: 17 Fort: 18 Reflex: 12 Will: 11
HP: 31 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +8, Athletics +12, Intimidate +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana -1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering, Heal, History -1, Insight, Nature, Perception +2, Religion -1, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery

FEATS
Level 1: Brutal Brawler

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Grappling Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Knockdown Assault
Fighter encounter 1: Bears Tenacious Grab
Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack

ITEMS
Spiked gauntlet (2), Scale Armor
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

A few questions to maximize potential;
spiked gauntlets seem to be the best choice, are there other weapons I should focus on getting?

I get a lot of bonuses to grappling, rolling twice for my attacks not withstanding. Should I use an 18/18 or stick with 20/14? This would allow me to increase dex for powers like brash and pinion with the obvious -1 deficiency that comes with.

What feats should I take next? I have brutal brawler selected for additional attack, some others I was thinking of was brawler guard, power ooze, and inescapable hold were the immediate ones I thought of.

I'm looking for input on how to maximize the potential sans changing brawler and squole (fits the characters story).

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
Just hit a big level in my weekly campaign, Level 16. Here's my Paladin|Warlock, Morninglord.

Draekyn, level 16
Human, Paladin/Warlock, Morninglord
Hybrid Paladin Option: Hybrid Paladin Reflex
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Sorcerer-King Pact (Hybrid)
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Hybrid Talent Option: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Holy Symbol)
Twofold Pact Option: Dark Pact
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Cold
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 18, DEX 9, INT 10, WIS 11, CHA 24

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 14, DEX 8, INT 9, WIS 10, CHA 18

AC: 31 Fort: 26 Ref: 26 Will: 29
HP: 112 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 28

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +13, Insight +13, Intimidate +20, Religion +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana +8, Athletics +5, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +8, Heal +8, History +8, Nature +8, Perception +8, Stealth +3, Streetwise +15, Thievery +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
Paladin Attack 1: Virtuous Strike
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Warlock Attack 1: Spiteful Glamor
Warlock Pact Boon 1: Darkspiral Aura
Paladin Utility 2: Virtue
Warlock Attack 3: Delban's Deadly Attention
Warlock Attack 5: Hellsworn Blessing
Religion Utility 6: Deliverance of Faith
Paladin Attack 7: Price of Cowardice
Paladin Attack 9: Ray of Reprisal
Warlock Utility 10: Shielding Shades
Morninglord Attack 11: Pure Glow
Morninglord Utility 12: Rising Sun
Paladin Attack 13: Eye for an Eye
Warlock Attack 15: Armor of Summer's Glory
Insight Utility 16: Insightful Riposte

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Mindbite Scorn
Level 6: Crimson Fire
Level 8: Versatile Expertise
Level 11: Twofold Pact
Level 11: Pervasive Light
Level 12: Bloodied Boon
Level 14: White Lotus Riposte
Level 15: Wintertouched
Level 16: Arcane Admixture
Level 16: Lasting Frost

ITEMS
Radiant Longsword +3 x1
Symbol of Divine Light +4
Heavy Shield x1
Gloves of Recovery (heroic tier) x1
Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 3)
Siberys Shard of Radiance (paragon tier)
Verve Layered Plate Armor +2 x1
Amulet of Life +3 x1
====== End ======

I'm pretty sure I want to take Demonweb Spiral at 18 to make sure that enemies can't shift away from me once engaged.

I'm not sure what to take at 20, because I know as soon as I hit 21 I'm going to train it away so I can have both Paladin's Truth and Warlock Implement Expertise ASAP. Should it just be Weapon Focus for a pinch of extra damage?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a L17 Encounter Power? I'm not seeing anything better than Reassuring Strike to give me another way to heal myself.

In combat I end up working solo, despite being in a party of 6 or 7. I grab a monster and use THP and self-healing to grind one guy down with Eldritch Strike before moving onto another. This doesn't seem to be too hard; early calculations put my DPR around 81.

Red Hood fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 24, 2011

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Okay, so what's up with the WinterFrost feat combo? Far as I can tell you're looking to do radiant damage (Radiant Weapon, Morninglord PP). Also you want to spend a feat to use weapons as implements, whether it's cold or radiant (Arcane Implement Proficiency gets you heavy or light blades).

Basically, radiant and cold are the two best damage types, but you really have to pick one or the other and stick with it. So either take Morninglord and a Radiant Weapon or take the WinterFrost combo and a Frost Weapon. For this concept, I'd go radiant, which means, obviously, dropping the cold feats.

Also re: taking both Eldritch Strike and Virtuous Strike. You take one or the other, not both (Eldritch Strike is the better of the two, and Spiteful Glamor gives you a Cha-based ranged attack). Swap Virtuous Strike for Enfeebling Strike.

Reassuring Strike isn't all that great and you've got Virtue and Deliverance to keep you alive anyway, which should be enough. Additionally, Thirsting Tendrils does most of what Reassuring Strike does while also applying curse damage.

Frozen Shackles can be tricky to use but when you use it well it's simply massive. Of course, Frozen Shackles does not at all fit with the theme you've got for your character ("Isolate and Destroy") but it is really quite strong. Otherwise, I'd pick a Warlock power with high damage dice. The Paladin half of your hybrid functions regardless of what attack you use, while the Warlock half only works if you make a Warlock attack.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Squidicus posted:

My 4th ed group recently finished our campaign, and after starting anew I settled on a brawler fighter. To this end I'm taking as many grappling powers as I can to maximize my to hit (+2/+4/+6 for grappling powers/moving grabbed targets/unarmed attacks) and using spiked gauntlets (count as unarmed) for free hand bonuses. For a race I chose a squole, because of the distribution of stats and the benefit of rolling twice on strength check grapples. The char is as follows.

The Champ, level 1
Squole, Fighter
Fighter: Combat Agility
Fighter Talents: Brawler Style
Elemental Oozing: Elemental Oozing Cold
Background: Wandering Duelist (Wandering Duelist Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10.

AC: 17 Fort: 18 Reflex: 12 Will: 11
HP: 31 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +8, Athletics +12, Intimidate +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana -1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering, Heal, History -1, Insight, Nature, Perception +2, Religion -1, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery

FEATS
Level 1: Brutal Brawler

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Grappling Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Knockdown Assault
Fighter encounter 1: Bears Tenacious Grab
Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack

ITEMS
Spiked gauntlet (2), Scale Armor
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

A few questions to maximize potential;
spiked gauntlets seem to be the best choice, are there other weapons I should focus on getting?

I get a lot of bonuses to grappling, rolling twice for my attacks not withstanding. Should I use an 18/18 or stick with 20/14? This would allow me to increase dex for powers like brash and pinion with the obvious -1 deficiency that comes with.

What feats should I take next? I have brutal brawler selected for additional attack, some others I was thinking of was brawler guard, power ooze, and inescapable hold were the immediate ones I thought of.

I'm looking for input on how to maximize the potential sans changing brawler and squole (fits the characters story).

WTF is a Squole?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Squidicus posted:

Yeah, I'm confused about what a Squole is as well, but this build should have all the information you are looking for. I'm playing this on the forums right now and having a lot of fun with it.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
What's the best weapon set up for a Battlevigor tanky-Fighter? I'm playing one in my friend's Dark Sun campaign right now, and I'm currently axe and shield (carrikal, actually, totally awesome weapon), just level 2, but I'm wondering if I should dual-wield or get a big 2hander or something? I just don't know if my THP is enough to keep me protected or if I should stick to the shield and heavy armor as well.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
What race and how long do you plan on playing this character? (is it an ongoing 1-30 campaign?)

For a battlerager, I typically side on extra damage over extra defense because you're going to be rediculously survivable anyway (esp if Dwarf).

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Dr Nick posted:

What race and how long do you plan on playing this character? (is it an ongoing 1-30 campaign?)

For a battlerager, I typically side on extra damage over extra defense because you're going to be rediculously survivable anyway (esp if Dwarf).

I'm playing as a Human with the Dune Trader background from Dark Sun. I think the campaign is supposed to go at least into the paragon tier, if not farther. Not sure about all the way to 30, but possibly.

i do NOT like BBQ
Jun 2, 2008

Mr Beens posted:

WTF is a Squole?

Squole is a primordial ooze with humanoid shape, its sole advantage over something else is that it roles twice with strength based grappling. Melee basic attacks also get added damageIts kind of poo poo for everything except that because it only has blindsight for 8 squares but it works with the story. Anywho, thanks for the links, I'll try tailoring from the advice.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Gay Polymers posted:

What's the best weapon set up for a Battlevigor tanky-Fighter? I'm playing one in my friend's Dark Sun campaign right now, and I'm currently axe and shield (carrikal, actually, totally awesome weapon), just level 2, but I'm wondering if I should dual-wield or get a big 2hander or something? I just don't know if my THP is enough to keep me protected or if I should stick to the shield and heavy armor as well.

I'd stick with a +3 weapon because getting your THPs requires you to hit.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

-Fish- posted:

This isn't so much an optimization question as a "turn this concept into a functional striker" query.

I'm trying to build a level 2 character that is essentially a native american night-fighter.
So far I'm thinking an Executioner hybrid Barbarian (tempest) multiclass Monk (stone fist) with the Iron Wolf theme, dual-wielding kukris that have been refluffed as tomahawks. (the group is using a weapon patch for Assassins, which bumps up the damage dice of smaller weapons so Assassins have a reason to use things like daggers instead of giant warhammers).

I like the idea of the drow executioner|barb/monk:iron wolf, but I'm not totally fixated on it just yet. Rogue is out at the moment, mainly because everyone in the current group is sick to death of Rogues.

Why not a maurader ranger? Two tomohawks, chucking one when you feel like it and running around all the time. Feels native americanish to me. Then you can take the Snow Tiger paragon path and reskin it to whatever.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

Okay, so what's up with the WinterFrost feat combo? Far as I can tell you're looking to do radiant damage (Radiant Weapon, Morninglord PP). Also you want to spend a feat to use weapons as implements, whether it's cold or radiant (Arcane Implement Proficiency gets you heavy or light blades).

Basically, radiant and cold are the two best damage types, but you really have to pick one or the other and stick with it. So either take Morninglord and a Radiant Weapon or take the WinterFrost combo and a Frost Weapon. For this concept, I'd go radiant, which means, obviously, dropping the cold feats.

Also re: taking both Eldritch Strike and Virtuous Strike. You take one or the other, not both (Eldritch Strike is the better of the two, and Spiteful Glamor gives you a Cha-based ranged attack). Swap Virtuous Strike for Enfeebling Strike.

Reassuring Strike isn't all that great and you've got Virtue and Deliverance to keep you alive anyway, which should be enough. Additionally, Thirsting Tendrils does most of what Reassuring Strike does while also applying curse damage.

Frozen Shackles can be tricky to use but when you use it well it's simply massive. Of course, Frozen Shackles does not at all fit with the theme you've got for your character ("Isolate and Destroy") but it is really quite strong. Otherwise, I'd pick a Warlock power with high damage dice. The Paladin half of your hybrid functions regardless of what attack you use, while the Warlock half only works if you make a Warlock attack.

Woah, awesome, thanks.

Is there a problem with doing both Radiant and Cold damage? Imposing vulnerable 5 cold and vulnerable 10 radiant is 15 extra damage, on top of all the other junk that triggers when I hit an enemy vulnerable to radiant. Is there a big reason to not use both vulnerabilities?

Thanks for the catch on Virtuous Strike. I meant to retrain it to something else. Enfeebling Strike looks awesome.

Frozen Shackles is great. It would allow me to engage 2 enemies and completely debilitate a melee opponent while I wear down another.

I have a question about taking Arcane Implement Proficiency to get Heavy Blades as an implement. My character sheet is allowing me to use my Holy Symbol for my Warlock powers; what's the advantage of switching the implement type? EDIT: Or is it because I have to take Arcane Implement Proficiency to make use of Warlock Implement Proficiency at 21?

Red Hood fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Gunfighter_IX posted:

Woah, awesome, thanks.

Is there a problem with doing both Radiant and Cold damage? Imposing vulnerable 5 cold and vulnerable 10 radiant is 15 extra damage, on top of all the other junk that triggers when I hit an enemy vulnerable to radiant. Is there a big reason to not use both vulnerabilities?

To make full use of Morninglord, you want to do radiant damage with every attack. To make full use of the WinterFrost combo, you want to do cold damage with every attack. It is easy to do radiant damage with every attack, and it is easy to do cold damage with every attack.

How, exactly, do you plan to do BOTH cold AND radiant damage with near every attack? There are precious few powers that do both cold AND radiant damage, and using a weapliment to change all the damage types means you have to pick one or the other.

Gunfighter_IX posted:

I have a question about taking Arcane Implement Proficiency to get Heavy Blades as an implement. My character sheet is allowing me to use my Holy Symbol for my Warlock powers; what's the advantage of switching the implement type?

Morninglord rewards you for using radiant powers. A Radiant Weapon turn any power into a radiant power. Similarly, WinterFrost rewards you for using cold powers, and a Frost Weapon turns any power into a cold power. You want to get the reward from your PP and/or feat combo as often as possible.

If you go radiant, you can use a Sun Disk of Pelor to change all your implement powers into radiant powers. However, using a Radiant Weapon as a weapliment has two advantages over the Sun Disk: (a) it allows you to also change weapon powers (like Eldritch Strike) into radiant powers, and (b) Radiant Weapon gives you 2x the enhancement bonus to damage rolls, which, in terms of feat:damage is worth roughly twice weapon/implement focus, making it a really good deal.

• Locked thread