Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Strikebacks are gauntlets I think, and are usually the preferred defender gauntlet.

However, Feyslaughter talids/spiked gauntlets are way better. You can also Kensei PP them, although I know you went for shock trooper for the bigger damage dice.

Are talids superior to spiked gauntlets? I forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Strikebacks are solid, but you have a lot of competition for your immediates as a fighter.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Yeah, most fighters want Strikebacks, but brawlers need to start looking into Feyslaughter Gauntlets. Talids are the light blade arm slot ones, right? Unfortunately, as a melee weapon user, your arm slots are better put to use for Iron Armbands' item bonus to damage.

Other thoughts: Dwarven Greaves I think is the name of the anti-forced movement item I think. If you were playing a minotaur, I would have suggested Beastblooded Minotaur for reach 2 at level 16, giving you an extra square to play with without breaking your grab.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Mecha Gojira posted:

Talids are the light blade arm slot ones, right?

No, you're thinking of wrist razors. The talid is from Dark Sun, they're identical to Spiked Gauntlets except
1) they can be enchanted as hand slot items
2) when enchanted as weapons, they don't take up the arms slot

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
If you can't reduce forced movement (or if you're capped out on magic item slots with forced movement reduction options) increasing your grabs' reach is functionally equivalent (for grabs affecting creatures adjacent to you). There's the Sash of Ensnarement, which turns Grab into a Reach 2 attack but doesn't affect other powers under strict rules interpretation. The Misshappen theme also gives a Melee 2 encounter power as the starting feature, but Grasping Limb has +2/4/6 advancement – which I can't remember if that's the correct math for attacks vs. NADs that don't have the weapon keyword.

Obviously, an increase to your reach is better than an increase to a specific power's range. And keep in mind that personal reach increases will affect Melee Touch or Melee Weapon ranges and weapon reach increases will affect the latter, but nothing can alter a Melee X range.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Hm, Dwarven Greaves vs my current Boots of the Mighty Charge. Tough call. I may just eat the forced movement since as pointed out upthread wasting monster actions to break grabs is good defending. Hadn't thought of it that way.

Hand slot item is currently Grizzly Gloves - grab action is usually worthless but I didn't have any better hand slot stuff and it lets Body Shield work much more reliably, and that power is hilarious. Strikebacks look solid though; I'll have to add those to the wish list.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Other forced movement reduction options:

-Resolute armor (lvl 8+ Plate) reduces all forced movement by 1 square or by two squares if you have Mark of Warding.
-Ring of Personal Gravity (lvl 16) reduces all forced movement by 1 square, comes with a potentially valuable daily ability if you use it correctly
-Dwarfstride Boots (lvl 18) also reduce forced movement by 1 square
-Mordin's Blessing of Iron (lvl 3+ boon) reduces push distance by 2 and lets you make an MBA as an OA if you get pulled adjacent, but doesn't do anything against slides.
-Melora's Storm (lvl 3+ boon) lets you shift one square as a free action after being subject to forced movement. Won't always help, but it's something. (Roll With It feat in paragon does the same thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

LightWarden posted:

Other forced movement reduction options:

-Resolute armor (lvl 8+ Plate) reduces all forced movement by 1 square or by two squares if you have Mark of Warding.
-Ring of Personal Gravity (lvl 16) reduces all forced movement by 1 square, comes with a potentially valuable daily ability if you use it correctly
-Dwarfstride Boots (lvl 18) also reduce forced movement by 1 square
-Mordin's Blessing of Iron (lvl 3+ boon) reduces push distance by 2 and lets you make an MBA as an OA if you get pulled adjacent, but doesn't do anything against slides.
-Melora's Storm (lvl 3+ boon) lets you shift one square as a free action after being subject to forced movement. Won't always help, but it's something. (Roll With It feat in paragon does the same thing)

Oh yeah Ring of Personal Gravity is a nice one, though in 15 levels I never once actually used its daily. Between needing to move, playing an Eladrin Knight, and enemies all being able to teleport or ignore conditions, it was just never worth the action.

• Locked thread