Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I just want to chime in to say that K Prime has been doing a pretty great job keeping the action escalating in his Super Robot Wars game. We started out capturing single sleeper agents, and now we're saving Italy from nuclear annihilation. A big shout out to all of the other players as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Whenever I play Betrayal, I always houserule that the haunt can't happen before an appreciable amount of the house is explored because of exactly this situation. God drat.

Edit: The zombie lord is one of the easier haunts, though.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 3, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

RandallODim posted:

With my group it's usually just a matter of seeing a Haunt trigger and all agreeing 'nope, way too soon for that bullshit'.

We also house rule that any time we'd get the treasure hunt haunt, we skip it for something else, because what is even the point in calling it Betrayal at House on the Hill if there's no betrayal?

Yep. It's generally by group consensus, aka "nope, this will be total bullshit without more of the house discovered." I'd say having between a third and half of the tiles laid out gives a decently-sized house usually? I haven't played Betrayal in a while. In one game we explored nearly the entire house because everyone kept rolling 2s on their haunt rolls.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I've played Betrayal with 6 people IRL, and it's pretty surprising how quickly you can empty the stack of room tiles (and find every single omen in the process).

Imagine having a nearly completed house when the Blob Haunt is chosen, except that there are two different secret passages which allow the blob to completely surround the players
(blacktext to prevent current players from possibly being spoiled)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Jefepato posted:

I've only played Betrayal 2-3 times, but at an educated guess, it's less that there's too many omen rooms or anything, and more that the game has enough different variables going on that things can easily become unbalanced depending on how things are laid out and what haunt you get.

I remember one game where the house was sinking into a swamp or something, but the non-traitors were laughably close to the rooms needed to escape, and they sailed away laughing while the traitor had no chance to stop them. I can't really complain, it was fun anyway.

I think you're thinking of the scenario where the house is falling into hell?

And yeah, sometimes the traitor gets ultimate power through the scenario and stomps the heroes, and sometimes they don't and everything is already in place for a quick hero-win.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

No, there's a scenario which involves a water level rising and you have to find a boat and get to the right room to escape. I had to endure that one once, but due to a misreading of the rules we had the water rise every turn instead of every round. Meaning that the house was underwater within one round, and we we were absolutely hosed right out the gate. I forget what it's called, but it's in there.

Oh wait, poo poo, you're right. Played that scenario as a psychotic little girl with a spear and 8 strength. I put on my best Captain Ahab impersonation.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

The difficulty comes entirely from the fact that none of the required rooms have been found yet, and a couple of the heroes are dangerously close to the kill-zone pentagram chamber. It's likely to snowball pretty quickly in favor of the traitor.

Edit: this kind of situation is really common in Betrayal, in my experience.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Orokos at least lets you enter a campaign name to track rolls. If you're concerned about someone cheating, make sure they're tracking their poo poo properly first!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

if you fake your die rolls do everyone a favor and :frogout: of tg

Yeah, also this.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

There's already some Fantasy Pro Wrestling/Bloodsport games running currently, so probably yeah.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I haven't read any of the thread, but I assume the entire thing takes place over the course of a single dinner party, judging by the pace of other PBP games.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Big thanks to Comrade Gorbash for running his Nausicca AW game. I had a great time being a painful and insistent reminder of the past.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

I never got to reveal my character's gender...

Tema was male and I was going to have his picture after the reveal be BISHONEN AS gently caress. The bishiest thing that I could find.

I'm laughing anyway at the mental image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Roll +Beauty