Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Crap shoulda posted this here and not in main forum:

I have a project I've been working on for a while now and I'm waffling on getting it going so I suppose I'll do an interest check here first. I really dig DND 4E and other tactics games (Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc) and I've always wanted to try my hand at one. I also really like choose your own adventure games like Paradise Lost here on the forums. So - I figured I'd combine them and try something new.

Character Concept
My issue with 4E is you have so many options on each turn that it takes forever, so I've cut it down to a bare minimum of options.
code:
Club	Deals 1d6 Damage	
Sling	Deals 1d4 Damage / base range 5					
Grab	Deals 2 damage and target is grabbed
Pulse	Deals 1 damage and -2 Penalty to hit / base range 5
Every character starts out as a recruit, but you'll hit a point where you choose between 4 classes, each keyed to one of those abilities - the aligned ability gets a slight boost in power or function, but you still get to use all of them.

As your characters progress, each of those abilities can gain different variations depending on class (Club Deals 1d6 Damage + slows target by 2, for instance), but you'll always have the 4 abilities to choose from. The idea is that you'll always know exactly what move you'll be making.

Pictured: 2 of the classes (Reaver and Taker respectively) iterating through the different levels of experience. Each character has 6 levels from Unblooded to Master, each has a different sprite (for male and female, of course) and unlocks different tweaks to your abilities.

Multiplayer
The way I'd want to do it is to have a small group of people (10 or so) be the main players - soldiers in an army advancing into enemy territory. Each person would get 3 characters to create, leading to an army of 30 units (though not all would be fielded at once because that could get unwieldy!). If the player loses all 3 characters, they're out, and someone else can jump in with 3 new guys.

But what about the others, the people in the thread who don't get to play? They can watch and read and do whatever, or they can take part by playing as the Mandagot - powerful spirits that hang around battlefields and bless or curse either side. Their magic comes with a price, however - if they buff someone, they have to debuff one of their allies. But if your tank is about to die, it may be worth pulling HP off your safely entrenched archer and giving it to them. And if one of your soldiers is on their last legs, it may be worth draining their Defense to buff another soldiers Attack...

The World

I'm planning to run it on a strangely familiar-looking (repurposed Zelda/FFT sprites!) grid based world - those who play 4E or tactics games will feel right at home. I plan to do the actual meat of the game in Roll20, but the interaction with the players and whatnot in the thread. Each turn the players will post what each of their characters are planning to do, then I'll simulate the moves of both sides all at once in my next post.

Character Creation

I've done up a pretty thorough Excel file Character Sheet (need to have Office 2007 or higher, I think?) that lets you create three characters. It's all completely automated - the only stuff you'll need to fill in is your Player Name, your Character Name (Which also generates a little backstory for them), your Class (drop down menu) and your XP (400 is the XP cap, so play around with that). Also, the little red arrows are comments, so hover over them to get details.

Items and Weapons are also drop down menus, and they'll cause your attack names to change when you change em'. Neat, eh?

Also at the bottom are emblems - achievements gained through battle that give bonuses.

Start Date
I'm planning to start this in the next month or two (have a few other things I want to set up, but most maps are complete already).

END
So - questions, comments, interest? I've never done a CYOA before, but I'm trying to frontload all the work so it'll just be like putting all the Lego pieces together and then writing the story. I have the combat/character creation system in my head, but quite likely I haven't explained enough of it here for this to make sense, but if you want to know something, just ask!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Arivia posted:

tip 1: do not adopt aboriginal words and concepts like manitou for anime spirits

tip 2: just make a thread

Fine ya stick in the mud!

edit: Also yes the spirits probably need a different name, though in my defence it pops up a lot in French Canadian culture - regardless, still not really a good enough reason to use it!

edit: Swappin' it out for Mandagot which is a different kind of French spirit

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 21, 2014

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Puppies are dicks posted:

With a side order of crazy time travel shenanigans and aliens too if you're playing it right. Game concept sounds neat though.

Arrrthritis posted:

I think it looks pretty cool, bud. Go for it!

Alright, glad to hear there's at least some interest! Take a look at the character creation excel file in my post - I need testers to try to break it so I can semi balance before release.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Bikindok posted:

I've been reading through The Prometheus Cycle thread, and just reached the part where the thread got overconfident, walked into a fusion bomb and got literally every character our PC cared about killed and currently appears to be playing a broken husk of a person. . It's not that it's necessarily bad writing, but I'm honestly just not up for that level of negativity/depression. The thread getting understandably salty isn't helping either. Can anyone who's kept reading indicate whether this new tone is a permanent shift? I was really enjoying the thread, but I think I might have to stop.

The tone certainly doesn't stay that dour forever, but the event is definitely foundational for stuff that comes afterwards. But yes, there is hope and laughter on the horizon, after a period of understandable sadness!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Bikindok posted:

Thanks for the advice. Pressed on until Amacita's execution before I had to stop. The author does a great job, but the direction votes take in that thread just sucks the fun right out of it for me. I'll have to look for something lighter.

Read my Fragile Gods of Somewhere, then. It's a CYOA/Godgame mashup that's fully illustrated and the theme is so light the Gods are lording over cartoon turtles and cats. There's moments of darkness and bleakness, but overall it's light and silly.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

Is asking "I have a cool idea for a Pbp, would goons here be interested?" okay, or is that get a ban like the LP sandcastle thread?

I've personally never seen anyone banned and I'm interested to see your idea, so you could go ahead and post here... or you could just post the thread and see what happens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

blaise rascal posted:

Could anyone recommend me a good, old, finished, play-by-post thread to check out? I'm more interested in a game with a ruleset and a party of PCs, than a CYOA. Thanks in advance!
Might be a bit of a stretch, but my game Break Down That Gate was somewhere in the middle, an attempt to write a Black Company/Malazan Book of the Fallen type game with a group of 20-40 people (varied throughout the game). Actually finished with an epilogue and everything, and fully illustrated if that's your jam.