Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gotta keep that pooper clean for when the aliens arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
loving Acura cares all of a sudden.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I've now seen ads from three different toilet paper companies telling me they're working hard to keep my rear end clean.

loving Charmin bears

OH GOD THERES UNDERWEAR ON THE FLOOR!!!!

Which brings up another point. If this child bear wears underwear which is kept clean by this amazing toilet paper, then why is he not wearing any!?!? Following their logic, you are showing us a nude child!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They're not bears at all.

Those are fursuits.

Evidence: bears aren't blue, so?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I've now seen ads from three different toilet paper companies telling me they're working hard to keep my rear end clean.

Given how scarce TP still is (at least where I live) that seems just cruel.

"Here look at this product that we still don't have enough of!"

(I realize it's down to the industry being used to steady demand and not having a very elastic manufacturing/supply chain but it's still irritating.)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

They're not bears at all.

Those are fursuits.

Evidence: bears aren't blue, so?

:stonk:

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Every single goddamned company trying to profit off the Corvid-19 pandemic. But there is a special place in hell for state farm just for playing that "Rise Up" song over, and over, and over. I swear there is not a commercial break that goes by that I don't hear that loving ear worm.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Every single goddamned company trying to profit off the Corvid-19 pandemic. But there is a special place in hell for state farm just for playing that "Rise Up" song over, and over, and over. I swear there is not a commercial break that goes by that I don't hear that loving ear worm.

There’s a plague of crows?

I will never not be annoyed by people calling it corvid-19. I know it’s autocorrect being dumb but it’s a pet peeve.

The insurance company commercials are the goddamn worst though. They’re making bank since no one is driving but they do a stand-with-you thing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s a plague of crows?

No it's a plague of grackles. Crows is a murder.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
For the first time in a long time, I'm actually watching broadcast TV. I just need some sort of background noise during the day, and dumb poo poo like Rachel Ray, or Price is Right (which is actualkly awesome and not dumb) fits the bill since I don't want to have to decide on a REAL thing from a streaming service.

There is a REALLY weird Windex commercial that I don't care for.

It starts normally, a woman cleaning a window...then for some reason there's a loving marching band outside with a VERY falsetto voiced singer/parade leader dude singing something. His voice is so high-pitched (I suspect it might be tone shifted, but maybe he does sing that high) it's hard to make out. It SOUNDS like he's saying,
"LADIES' night!"
But that makes no sense.

Only on like the fourth or fifth time I started to hear the ad did I finally manage to turn my head from my work to the TV in time to see what I assume is the Windex slogan,
"Light is Life" on the screen.

I assume that's what he's singing, but I will never not hear "Ladies' night!"

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oG9Q/windex-light-is-life

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

The insurance company commercials are the goddamn worst though. They’re making bank since no one is driving but they do a stand-with-you thing.

State Farm at least does some kind of refund, don't know if any others do. Which they made sure to run an ad saying so. :v:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

American Family is giving out $50 per car. I’m sure whatever amount they give out is about 10% of what they’re saving right now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Polygynous posted:

State Farm at least does some kind of refund, don't know if any others do. Which they made sure to run an ad saying so. :v:

Allstate says they will do the same. I haven't seen it yet, though.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Farmers is also there for you TM. Though they busted out JK Simmons doing his senior insurance agent shtick, which doesn't really work for a serious commerical. poo poo, even progressive is hiding Flo in there commericals.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

DrBouvenstein posted:

For the first time in a long time, I'm actually watching broadcast TV. I just need some sort of background noise during the day, and dumb poo poo like Rachel Ray, or Price is Right (which is actualkly awesome and not dumb) fits the bill since I don't want to have to decide on a REAL thing from a streaming service.

There is a REALLY weird Windex commercial that I don't care for.

It starts normally, a woman cleaning a window...then for some reason there's a loving marching band outside with a VERY falsetto voiced singer/parade leader dude singing something. His voice is so high-pitched (I suspect it might be tone shifted, but maybe he does sing that high) it's hard to make out. It SOUNDS like he's saying,
"LADIES' night!"
But that makes no sense.

Only on like the fourth or fifth time I started to hear the ad did I finally manage to turn my head from my work to the TV in time to see what I assume is the Windex slogan,
"Light is Life" on the screen.

I assume that's what he's singing, but I will never not hear "Ladies' night!"

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oG9Q/windex-light-is-life

I am cracking up at how nonsensical this would be if he were saying ladies night

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I've been listening to Spotify at work today. Spotify has played the same Ralph's "thanks to our employees for helping out during These Uncertain Times" during every ad break. It feels like it lasts about fifteen minutes, without saying a single thing.

The advert did make me look up just how Ralph's is thanking their employees IRL. They're only giving their employees a one-time $150 bonus (or a one-time $300 bonus for full-time employees, but as anyone who's ever worked at a grocery store knows, they will do anything to keep you from being full-time). I don't think this ad is going to work the way they want it to.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ghost emoji posted:

I've been listening to Spotify at work today. Spotify has played the same Ralph's "thanks to our employees for helping out during These Uncertain Times" during every ad break. It feels like it lasts about fifteen minutes, without saying a single thing.

The advert did make me look up just how Ralph's is thanking their employees IRL. They're only giving their employees a one-time $150 bonus (or a one-time $300 bonus for full-time employees, but as anyone who's ever worked at a grocery store knows, they will do anything to keep you from being full-time). I don't think this ad is going to work the way they want it to.

Those ads aren't for the employees. They're for the general public because people are stupid and will say "gee isn't that nice" and slightly tip the balance towards Ralph's as opposed to whatever competitor they have in the area.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw an ad for a colon cancer screening by mail product and the disclaimer showed that it was completely useless because it had both false positives and false negatives. Great test there guys.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

muscles like this! posted:

Saw an ad for a colon cancer screening by mail product and the disclaimer showed that it was completely useless because it had both false positives and false negatives. Great test there guys.

Nothing's 100% accurate, did it say the rate?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've been seeing ads for Cologuard for a few years. Who would have thought popping in a box would become a business?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bruceski posted:

Nothing's 100% accurate, did it say the rate?

I heard the false positive rate is slightly higher than a colonoscopy, but the false negative is like 50 percent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sash! posted:

I heard the false positive rate is slightly higher than a colonoscopy, but the false negative is like 50 percent.

Yeah, Cologuard still has a lot of issues with false positives (about 13 percent), but last I heard the company has re-worked the test's formulation and gotten the false negative rate down to below 8 percent.

Exact Sciences has been a fascinating company to watch over the years. Five years ago, they were angling hard to get some free money from the City of Madison to relocate its headquarters downtown, but they backed out after learning they'd need to put $15 million into an escrow account. At the same time, their stock price plummeted to just a few dollars after an FDA task force listed Cologuard as an "alternative" screening method, rather than a recommended or primary option. The price eventually rebounded, it's trading around $70 nowadays, but it's still a risky company to be invested in, because they're still a one-product company and the soonest any of their other screening products that are in the pipeline could begin clinical trials is like 2024.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
so do you send your poop through the mail

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Just poo poo me to the lab!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Riptor posted:

so do you send your poop through the mail

Yes.

Wait, you mean for the test. I think that’s also a yes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

One of my favorite bad commercial tropes is songs getting appropriated for commercial use by taking one line out of the song and playing it over and over again to match their message, and wondering if the band ever considered while writing the song that some day they're gonna get a fat check from Chevy because they'll want to use this song for sure. I'm thinking of a car commercial from the 00's that I heard a million times where they played the line from the song Walkin' on the Sun "So don't delay.. act now.." then something about APR for 15 seconds, then ".. so don't delay, act now.." again.

Anyway, I found my new favorite example of this last night at like 2AM while watching Guy's Grocery Games: an ad for UMMC, a hospital out of Baltimore, took a snippet out of Metallica's Nothing Else Matters and turned that into a touching commercial about how Nothing Else Matters [to us but you?]. It caught me off guard but man, I laaaughed.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I feel the same way when I see that loving Sarah McLaughlin commercial.

Isn't "Angel" about overdosing on heroin? Am I the only one who is seeing the dark bitterness in the lyrics? Why is it that we just key in on "in the arms of the angel" and ignore the verses that talk about vultures and thieves and being tired of the straight life.

In the arms of the angel - that's loving heroin man. I don't want to see sad animals.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Every time Fortunate Son is in an ad and the lyrics stop after the first line I die a little.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Carnival Cruise's use of Lust for Life will remain the ultimate example of this, never to be beaten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITdiptTiFyc

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Changing the line “Blow a kiss, fire a gun” to “blow a kiss into the sun” is kind of weird.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Modern Leper posted:

Carnival Cruise's use of Lust for Life will remain the ultimate example of this, never to be beaten.

:lmao: I completely forgot about this commercial until now and yeah this might be the best one. I certainly had no idea this song was about being a heroin addict until much later in life. This is also one of those like the Sears air conditioner commercial that after seeing the first two seconds of it can remember almost the whole thing shot for shot.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
"Yesterday you said you'd call Sears!"
"I'll call tomorrow."
"You'll call today."
"I'll call today."

I can't remember the sound of my late mother's voice, but that will be with me until I die.

EDIT--Also, love that I pulled the video and still got the cruise company's name wrong. :doh:

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
in my memory that commercial was on the air for 10 years though I'm sure that isn't true

I do enjoy how that ad, and really *only* that ad, seems to be imprinted in my generation's collective memory. like we all kinda remember the Zoobooks ad or Pure Moods or whatever but I feel like every #90skid could do a shot for shot reproduction of "Yesterday you said you'd call Sears!". I even remember exactly how the outside of the house looked

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It was on the air for more than 10 years, I’m pretty sure. Between that and how frequently it aired (occasionally more than once per ad break) I’m not shocked it stayed in everyone’s brains so hard. It also aired weird places like Nickelodeon.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The Modern Leper posted:

Semi-Charmed Life (about meth) was used for The Tigger Movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bba-dK_nS-M

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

It was on the air for more than 10 years, I’m pretty sure. Between that and how frequently it aired (occasionally more than once per ad break) I’m not shocked it stayed in everyone’s brains so hard. It also aired weird places like Nickelodeon.

That commercial airing during Tiny Toons’ How I Spent my Summer Vacation was the indicator had school either just ended or would be coming up soon. It definitely aired on Nickelodeon a ton during the late 90’s and into the early 00’s for the same reason you’ll see adds for vacuums and cleaning crap along side toys and cereal, they were targeted for the parents of the kids who were watching and might be in the same room and see it or overhear the ad.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I would pay money to never see another Progressive ad in my life.

The commercials wouldn’t be as intolerable as they are if they didn’t have that smug “aren’t we wacky and self deprecating” vibe. It makes all of the commercials drag on endlessly. It feels like when your least favorite coworker is making you watch a “funny” YouTube video and they keep looking over at you waiting for you to laugh.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The Modern Leper posted:

My favorite has still gotta be GE using Sixteen Tons in their models mining clean coal commercial: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J1A146sANdg

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DrBouvenstein posted:

Semi-Charmed Life (about meth) was used for The Tigger Movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bba-dK_nS-M

It's hilarious because the song doesn't even try to hide the fact that it's about crystal meth, and the radio edit is missing only one line, that has nothing directly to do about crystal meth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

explosivo posted:

wondering if the band ever considered while writing the song that some day they're gonna get a fat check from Chevy because they'll want to use this song for sure.

Not a lyric, but Buick has been bumping that Matt and Kim intro for at least a decade. I hope they’re getting paid.