Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

explosivo posted:

One of my favorite bad commercial tropes is songs getting appropriated for commercial use by taking one line out of the song and playing it over and over again to match their message, and wondering if the band ever considered while writing the song that some day they're gonna get a fat check from Chevy because they'll want to use this song for sure.

I sincerely believe that the "don't believe me just watch" hook in Uptown Funk was written with something like this in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Oh oh oh Ozempic

Oh I put a bullet in my tv

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Jesus Christ I just saw that Budweiser brought back "waaaaazzzzzuuuuuppppp" for a quarantine ad. That was awful.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Budweiser created the coronavirus to harm their biggest competitor and bring back their most popular ad. It all makes sense.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Elmo's Wash Your Hands song has been airing as a public service ad here. Part of the music sounds like Ring My Bell and I can't unhear it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

Oh oh oh Ozempic

Oh I put a bullet in my tv

im beginning to finally accept the parody-commercial-Demolition-Man-World we've created

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Parachute posted:

im beginning to finally accept the parody-commercial-Demolition-Man-World we've created

Join me, friend. At Taco Bell.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Crosspost from the USPOL thread:

Fart Amplifier posted:

https://twitter.com/baraGodzilla/status/1258682943716782080

For a fun game, watch this whole video and see if a) You can guess the product and/or service being sold before the end b) if you can avoid screaming

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jesus Christ.

Isepic
May 7, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Elmo's Wash Your Hands song has been airing as a public service ad here. Part of the music sounds like Ring My Bell and I can't unhear it.

Every time I hear it I keep thinking of a "U Can't Touch This" rip-off.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
OoooOOOoooOoooh Ozempic! "Ozempic can help you lose up to 12 pounds!" [cut] "Since I started Ozempic I've lost 12 pounds!" "...oh! :haw: " :smithicide:

The diaper commercial with the rap about going from bottles to sippy cups.

All of the Charmin bear commercials, but ESPECIALLY the one with the bear cub singing to his parents about having a clean asscrack. Ugh.

Like those terrible "lol adulting is hard waahh" memes. :rolleyes:

Smiling Mandrill posted:

But there is a special place in hell for state farm just for playing that "Rise Up" song over, and over, and over. I swear there is not a commercial break that goes by that I don't hear that loving ear worm.

Oh that was State Farm? Guess I won't be giving them money any time soon.

ghost emoji posted:

I've been listening to Spotify at work today. Spotify has played the same Ralph's "thanks to our employees for helping out during These Uncertain Times" during every ad break. It feels like it lasts about fifteen minutes, without saying a single thing.

In my experience, Spotify has this Jack Daniels ad that's also really annoying, but of course I can't find it now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Which circle of hell are you in?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

In my neck of the woods, I get a quasi-crunchy women singing that I have to be "go clean, go clean...go clean, go clean!" to the tune of Jolene.

https://twitter.com/VTAgencyofAg/status/1240235628480155649

It's actually done well, but Jolene is a drat perfect song and I will not stand by this desecration of Ms Dolly Parton!

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Promoted Pawn posted:

I, then my older brother watched this and neither of us were even close to guessing correctly. Amazing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Dolly Parton wrote Jolene and I Will Always Love You on the same day. Imagine being that talented.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Promoted Pawn posted:

This is a parody edit, right?

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

McSpanky posted:

This is a parody edit, right?

No, it's the actual commercial. It's just cut early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtug5an4L8E&t=102s

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I almost feel bad for the actors in the Progressive ads working during quarantine.

Almost.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Promoted Pawn posted:

This must be a comedy bit. That's the only way this makes sense.

Honestly though, there's a special place in hell for "woke" advertising. Yeah, you're selling me razors because you want to tell me how to be a better man. Like, it's a good message to spread, but advertising by it's nature is disengengious. It just feels cheap, and post bate for the most annoying social media users on both sides. Because you'll see a million posts linking to low quality articles about how important the ads are, and then posts complaining about how their razors are now political.

It's still not as bad as those cable commercials where they sing the phone number in an incredibly awkward way that doesn't match the rest of the song.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Goddammit, Dennis Haysbert, have some self-respect.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

The Modern Leper posted:

I sincerely believe that the "don't believe me just watch" hook in Uptown Funk was written with something like this in mind.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/w8nJ/skippy-creamy-peanut-butter-be-smooth-like-skippy

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
A) That's awful.

B) I admit that I had forgotten it, but remember when Chris Brown native advertised a Top 10 hit for Doublemint gum?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/surprise-your-favorite-chris-brown-song-is-a-gum-ad-179494/

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cemetry Gator posted:

This must be a comedy bit. That's the only way this makes sense.

Honestly though, there's a special place in hell for "woke" advertising. Yeah, you're selling me razors because you want to tell me how to be a better man. Like, it's a good message to spread, but advertising by it's nature is disengengious. It just feels cheap, and post bate for the most annoying social media users on both sides. Because you'll see a million posts linking to low quality articles about how important the ads are, and then posts complaining about how their razors are now political.

Plus it is a Boston company, so it was hypocritical anyhow. There's probably brawls in the Gillette parking lot after work.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

A) That's awful.

B) I admit that I had forgotten it, but remember when Chris Brown native advertised a Top 10 hit for Doublemint gum?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/surprise-your-favorite-chris-brown-song-is-a-gum-ad-179494/

Should i be embarrassed the song is still on my cardio playlist?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My least favorite of the Covid-era ads is probably Microsoft Teams. It just feels extra exploitative, like “look how useful we are in the midst of a global emergency with countless dead!”

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I'm getting tired of John Legend telling me to eat more.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Progressive's new "lol our salespeople are in a Zoom meeting" commercials are so loving annoying.

Being reminded that we have to have Zoom meetings instead of talking to people face-to-face is vaguely stressful, especially when those commercials have poo poo like video/audio choppiness and people accidentally talking over each other.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
im just trying to figure out if the lady with the braids is drunk or tired or what?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
That's just Natalie Palamides' vibe. She's a weirdo.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pontius Pilate posted:

My favorite has still gotta be GE using Sixteen Tons in their models mining clean coal commercial: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J1A146sANdg

Coming in late, but my personal favorite is JC Penney's using "99 Red Balloons" for a Valentine's Day commercial. Because nothing says "I love you" like global nuclear war.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Laurie Anderson's O Superman is one of my favorite songs, and I was legit angry when that got used in a cellphone commercial years back.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 21, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This goddamned Hidden Valley Ranch commercial with the guy drinking the poo poo out of the bottle with a straw makes me physically ill.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
On the flipside of using real songs in commecials, I liked the one used in the Heineken "we-burned-the-dinner" ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRBWx5BteFc

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Well, there it is folks, a commercial for curvy dick syndrome
https://youtu.be/fryBnFSYlLw

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
this just ran during Fallon and I thought I was having a fever dream, despite not having a fever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6xDv8RX87A

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I just caught a Walmart commercial using Bittersweet Symphony as its background music.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/nuqK/walmart-a-million-reasons

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I just caught a Walmart commercial using Bittersweet Symphony as its background music.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/nuqK/walmart-a-million-reasons

And The Verve doesn't get a dime from it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

SolarFire2 posted:

And The Verve doesn't get a dime from it.

As of last year, I do think they own the rights again.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Mahoning posted:

As of last year, I do think they own the rights again.

I did not know that! Also explains why they're so hot to license the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
The ad about Sprint and T-Mobile merging has Gary Glitter's "Do You Want to Touch Me?" in the background. Hopefully the kiddie-diddler doesn't get royalties from it.