Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Oh yeah, the "Waaazzuuuuup!" ads in the late '90s. That got old really fast.

Not just that, but the frogs, the Bud Ice penguin...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Insurance is notorious for carpet bombing meme ads because being the first brand to come to mind when you're buying insurance is huge. It's a product you purchase infrequently and that's pretty much the same from one company to another.

Yes I chuckle at the "becoming your parents" ads.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zakharov posted:

Yes I chuckle at the "becoming your parents" ads.

:same:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Timby posted:

Not just that, but the frogs, the Bud Ice penguin...

They also had Bud Bowl for football, the three little toy hockey players (Sven, Guy, and Murph!), plus all the Real American Heroes/Real Men of Genius ads on both TV and radio. And those are just ones that came to me off hand, since I know there’s more.

There was also some of that during the time in the early 00s when all the boner pill ads were everywhere. Smiling Bob for Enzyte feels like it was around the same time as Geico was starting the Cavemen, the gecko, Bob WeHadABabyItsABoy and all their other stuff, and that’s before you get to other companies. The whole “but I just saved 15% on my car insurance” non sequitur was very much a widespread joke for a while there.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I remember morning drivetime radio guys in my area playing and reacting to new Real Men of Genius ads when they'd drop.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Because of the commercials I actively stayed away from Geico, the commercials annoyed me.

Although when I bought my most recent car, the salesman said he was an ex Geico guy and said to just take a look while getting my new car and it was $110 a month cheaper than my previous rate and I wasn't even using an expensive brand. Like we even stopped to make sure that it didn't make a mistake and offer me partial coverage but nope, full coverage.

drat too bad they didn't have less annoying commercials, I would have saved so much money over the years.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There's a small exhibit with Smilin' Bob and a packet of Enzyte pills in the US Postal Museum.

Part of the mail fraud exhibit.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

explosivo posted:

Could do without these Uber Eats commercials with people taking bites out of soap and diapers and eating cat litter out of a bowl. Nobody is confused about uber eats and these commercials are disgusting :(

Yeah gently caress that commercial super hard, I sure want to use a food delivery service that grosses me out and makes me lose my appetite.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

explosivo posted:

I was thinking about this the other day with regards to commercials gradually morphing into complete non-sequitur jokes like Geico's commercials basically being Family Guy "Wouldn't it be weird if..." segments until the end where they say Geico and show the lizard. It had to be Geico that really pioneered that whole trend, right? People like (:sigh:) my gf and her parents start hootin and hollering every time the Limu Emu is on screen and because of that stupid commercial they'll probably always remember "liberty mutual" when thinking of existing insurance companies so I guess it's gotta be working.

I think part of it too is over editing. Like I’m sure an ad is shot with a particular vision in mind, but by the time it’s edited down to a 30 second spot it’s lost a lot of it’s coherence. Then when it’s further cut down to like a 15 or even 5 second ad it’s completely incoherent. It’s happened to me a couple of times where I’ve seen the shorter ad first and thought “what the gently caress was that?” and then later see the full ad and I’m like “ohhhhh ok” but they edited out everything that made it make sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sash! posted:

There's a small exhibit with Smilin' Bob and a packet of Enzyte pills in the US Postal Museum.

There was also a weird thing where the guy who played Smilin' Bob just disappeared at one point.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
"Funny" beer ads have a storied history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFG_UB1YMr0

muscles like this! posted:

There was also a weird thing where the guy who played Smilin' Bob just disappeared at one point.

Probably difficult getting acting gigs when you're the face of fake boner pills.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Failson posted:

"Funny" beer ads have a storied history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFG_UB1YMr0

Probably difficult getting acting gigs when you're the face of fake boner pills.

He was/is actually a missing person

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

He was/is actually a missing person

boat accident missing, not missing missing

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Do you think Capital One will ever make new commercials? It's the same handful of commercials that have been playing for over a year. Eugene Levy, Samuel L Jackson, and that one with the bearded guy who is the worst actor in the history of acting. Say what you will about Progressive but at least they have very varied ads they put in and out of rotation (I really liked the Progressive Land commercial, it had good comedic timing).
Geico also does varied ads but man the two ads in current rotation, the one with the yuppie couple eating burritos and the other one with the self-diagnosed introvert are the most aggravating ads known to man.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Progressive ads went into "theater of the absurd" territory for a while there which was... interesting?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Thanks, Vrbo, for ruining a song from a classic Muppet movie for me through sheer repetition.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I am 100% certain that Hulu plays the most annoying and aggravating commercials produced to force you to go premium

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It also sucks that at least a year or so back they'd only have a couple for some markets, so you'd get the same 3 ads over and over and over until they maxed out. It was bad enough that I just upgraded since the commercials were such a drag.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It also sucks that at least a year or so back they'd only have a couple for some markets, so you'd get the same 3 ads over and over and over until they maxed out. It was bad enough that I just upgraded since the commercials were such a drag.

There are two types of ads on Hulu that are the worst.

The first is the pick your poison ad, where they throw three ads up there and you either let the timer run out and they play the first one, or you press the button and save yourself 30 seconds.

The second is the one where they force you interact with it. Sure I can press right three times and get past it, but every time it just fucks up requiring me to exit Hulu, and start whatever I was watching again. Thankfully I haven't seen this type in a minute, as I assume that I wasn't the only one with this issue. I do have no doubt it'll make a return when they master the technology.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Sash! posted:

The fact that Megatron from Beast Wars was the voice of those commercials will never not be funny to me.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I don't know if I necessarily HATE these ads, and people are certainly allowed to wed anyway & anywhere they'd like, but McDonald's using weddings in their ads still feels weird.

explosivo posted:

I was thinking about this the other day with regards to commercials gradually morphing into complete non-sequitur jokes like Geico's commercials basically being Family Guy "Wouldn't it be weird if..." segments until the end where they say Geico and show the lizard. It had to be Geico that really pioneered that whole trend, right? People like (:sigh:) my gf and her parents start hootin and hollering every time the Limu Emu is on screen and because of that stupid commercial they'll probably always remember "liberty mutual" when thinking of existing insurance companies so I guess it's gotta be working.

I actually forgot that Limu Emu was a Liberty Mutual thing, and I also didn't remember that Liberty Mutual was an insurance company. I only remembered their increasingly annoying commercials. That's not how commercials are supposed to work, right? "Liberty biberty" -- shut the gently caress up. :rolleyes:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Doublepost and all, but the commercial where they say all the acronyms makes me want to stab myself in the eardrums with knitting needles.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

YeahTubaMike posted:

Doublepost and all, but the commercial where they say all the acronyms makes me want to stab myself in the eardrums with knitting needles.

Just as soon as I opened this thread, that commercial came on.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

YeahTubaMike posted:

I actually forgot that Limu Emu was a Liberty Mutual thing, and I also didn't remember that Liberty Mutual was an insurance company.

I frequently see a truck at the supermarket bearing a bumper sticker reading "gently caress Doug and the emu he rode in on." What compels someone to seek out such a product?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
gently caress you Buick and your "dad calls it an Alexa" ad.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know I've posted before about how it's hosed up to have Charles Barkley making online sports book ads, but the newest one is just new types of weird on top. It features Chris Redd from SNL as Charles Barkley's conscience giving him betting advice and they've ADA'd Chris' voice into someone else's that isn't Charles Barkley.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

YeahTubaMike posted:

It's like they're going out of their way to have the most obnoxious commercials as possible. It's a tactic, I guess, since it does make your ads memorable.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

YeahTubaMike posted:

Idk my BFF Jill?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mister Kingdom posted:

gently caress you Buick and your "dad calls it an Alexa" ad.

Seriously, that poo poo was loving annoying before it finished the first time I saw it.

StormDrain posted:

Idk my BFF Jill?

I liked that one and still drop that line every now and then even after all these years :kiddo:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

It's like they're going out of their way to have the most obnoxious commercials as possible. It's a tactic, I guess, since it does make your ads memorable.

Maybe my brain is broken, but it makes ads memorable in the wrong way. Like, what is the acronym commercial for? I have no god drat clue. Some sort of office thing, I presume.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

YeahTubaMike posted:

Maybe my brain is broken, but it makes ads memorable in the wrong way. Like, what is the acronym commercial for? I have no god drat clue. Some sort of office thing, I presume.

You'd think that companies would want potential consumers to have pleasant associations with their products, and not to associate them with wanting to drive an axe through their TV. These days, though, I guess the idea is that even negative attention is attention.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
The whole thing behind Elsagate is that makers of children's youtube videos noticed that kids would click like crazy on videos that featured weird poo poo like needles, losing teeth, pregnant Minnie Mouse, and Spider-Man being covered in slime. What was ascribed to a concerted effort by evil people to mess with kids is actually just the logical extension of content creators wanting views.

Anyway this is why I think I'm seeing those disgusting loving Uber ads of people eating office supplies.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
To be fair most of those at least made a certain degree of sense. Kids have a vague interest in needles because they're getting shots a lot, pregnant characters because their mom/their friends moms are having kids and teeth because they're gaining/losing teeth or have older siblings losing teeth.

I'm not sure who needed to see someone choking on tape or just biting into a diaper like it's an apple. gently caress those ads.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I can't stand watching Discovery Channel at night anymore as every ad break has to contain at least one for their terrible "house flipping" shows on H+Gtv. I swear they're all the same, it's either 2 sisters or a husband and his wife. I have to sit thru those shows at my doctor's waiting room and it's hell.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

To be fair most of those at least made a certain degree of sense. Kids have a vague interest in needles because they're getting shots a lot, pregnant characters because their mom/their friends moms are having kids and teeth because they're gaining/losing teeth or have older siblings losing teeth.

I'm not sure who needed to see someone choking on tape or just biting into a diaper like it's an apple. gently caress those ads.

"can I eats it?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hector Delgado posted:

I can't stand watching Discovery Channel at night anymore as every ad break has to contain at least one for their terrible "house flipping" shows on H+Gtv. I swear they're all the same, it's either 2 sisters or a husband and his wife. I have to sit thru those shows at my doctor's waiting room and it's hell.

I have to sit through those when I visit my parents. They loving love those shows and how all these "dumb kids reject a perfectly good house because it doesn't have stainless steel appliances."

I envy you, because you can at least escape from boomer hell

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

You'd think that companies would want potential consumers to have pleasant associations with their products, and not to associate them with wanting to drive an axe through their TV. These days, though, I guess the idea is that even negative attention is attention.
There's this ancient bit of advertiser-thought that it doesn't matter how people think of your product, so long as they think of it.

The theory is that when you're in the store, you're not going to remember why you recognize Brand X, just that you do, and since products you recognize are more trustworthy than whatever store brand is there or whatever, you'll buy it. Somehow nobody ever thinks "oh yeah, these are the guys who made me angry, literally anyone but them".

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I've had to give up watching ShoutFactory TV on anything but a computer, due to them playing the same ad SIX TIMES IN A ROW.

Every time, same ad, it's maddening.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I've never had to poo poo out a "pineapple or two" but it's good to know there's something I can take for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

I envy you, because you can at least escape from boomer hell

I suspect that you may not be married.