Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

FuzzySkinner posted:

god I forgot to post the original.

Yeah, it's such a dead on satire of Colonial Penn it's scary.

I keep seeing the Colonial Penn Ads, and I keep cracking up thinking of that SNL skit.

Speaking of SNL, it looks like State Farm has decided to resurrect one of their skits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I know this is my fault for never looking up one of those Youtube ad blockers, but ads on Youtube have started doing the whole "louder than the regular videos" thing that commercials on TV did. I guess I need to start lobbying my senator.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Tupping Liberty posted:

I know this is my fault for never looking up one of those Youtube ad blockers, but ads on Youtube have started doing the whole "louder than the regular videos" thing that commercials on TV did. I guess I need to start lobbying my senator.

I'm also getting a thing where, if I click to skip the ad, the audio for the ad runs over the beginning of the actual video. Maybe that's just me, though.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Kimmalah posted:

Speaking of SNL, it looks like State Farm has decided to resurrect one of their skits.

George Wendt, noooo :smith: I guess that Cheers lucre must finally be gone after all these years.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

SpacePig posted:

I'm also getting a thing where, if I click to skip the ad, the audio for the ad runs over the beginning of the actual video. Maybe that's just me, though.

It's been happening to me as well.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know where I can find that commercial that plays on Pandora & Spotify all the time for the.. I think Toyota C?

The woman rambles about how she likes her car because she likes to show off, literally compares an automatic seat to magic and ends it by talking about the "Earth's blood." It's such a massive train wreck of cliche I've wanted to share it, but keep finding the extended, far less hilarious version when I look.

It seriously sounds like a parody ad.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Mid eighties when I was a kid there was a series of ads for either a food or a cleaning product I'm thinking that all had this musical tagline at the end:

"Something something something, makes it ronno-right"

About 99% sure the word isn't ronno just that's what my mind heard it as. Anyone have a clue what I'm taking about?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Mid eighties when I was a kid there was a series of ads for either a food or a cleaning product I'm thinking that all had this musical tagline at the end:

About 99% sure the word isn't ronno just that's what my mind heard it as. Anyone have a clue what I'm taking about?

No idea of specifics, but maybe it was "Ronco?" Ron Popeil/Ronco was big in the infomercial world of the 80s and 90s.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Not ronco, this was for 1 certain product consumable, not a rotisserie oven, and just a normal commercial.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

No idea of specifics, but maybe it was "Ronco?" Ron Popeil/Ronco was big in the infomercial world of the 80s and 90s.

I have the ad for their food dehydrator burned into my childhood memory. :v:

There was also that counter-top rotisserie I remember them advertising like 5 times a day before they became commonplace in B&M stores.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

All the Wonderful Pistachio commercials are pretty bad, but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPzLvPbqm_E
:stare:

Virgil Thatcher
Mar 3, 2008

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I'm going to go ahead and posit that "ronno-right"="wrong or right'. I mean, Michael Jackson was still big at the time, right?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Virgil Thatcher posted:

I'm going to go ahead and posit that "ronno-right"="wrong or right'. I mean, Michael Jackson was still big at the time, right?

Definitely not Michael Jackson. I don't think anyone got to use him in commercials except Pepsi. I should've put this in my 1st post, but it was sung almost the same way as and tacked onto the end just like "like a good neighbor, state farm is there". Those ads may be subconsciously causing me to think of it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WS3hM-vetI

"sup girl". both guys look like they have the IQ and personality of Frankenstein.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I'm surprised those terrible Orea "wonder-filled" commercials haven't been mentioned here. They're just so incredibly twee and for some reason every voice sounds massively autotuned.

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WS3hM-vetI

"sup girl". both guys look like they have the IQ and personality of Frankenstein.

The most offensive part of this is that neither of the boys have any idea how to say 'Sup Girl?' They sound so white and bland. Seeing a female you're drawn to enough to say sup girl surpasses all that, it should feel natural and primal. Those are some bad actors under bad direction.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8IAkbWJNfY

I loving despise this commercial, not because it's a commercial for an Apple product but because I spend the first 20 seconds expecting to hear Funkadelic but it turns out to be some talentless indie shitbag who's shamelessly plagiarizing Funkadelic.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

raditts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8IAkbWJNfY

I loving despise this commercial, not because it's a commercial for an Apple product but because I spend the first 20 seconds expecting to hear Funkadelic but it turns out to be some talentless indie shitbag who's shamelessly plagiarizing Funkadelic.

That's Sleigh Bells in the commercial playing a song called Rill Rill from their first album Treats, which came out 3 years ago. They sampled Can You Get To That. I can see how you don't like it since the sampling is so blatant. Sort of like Blurred Lines and Got To Give It Up.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 18, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

raditts posted:

All the Wonderful Pistachio commercials are pretty bad, but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPzLvPbqm_E
:stare:

I don't have videos embedded, so I thought it was going to be this OTHER Wonderful Pistachios ad that is also worthy of :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3lRp1vivSo

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Beardless Riker posted:

The most offensive part of this is that neither of the boys have any idea how to say 'Sup Girl?' They sound so white and bland. Seeing a female you're drawn to enough to say sup girl surpasses all that, it should feel natural and primal. Those are some bad actors under bad direction.

I just kind of want to inquire more about this guy. Does he have friends? Does have a normal home life? Does he have hobbies? He comes off as someone who you wouldn't have a good time with. Like he wouldn't be the type you'd slam beers with at the bar, etc.

I've seen this type of guy cast on TV shows being pitched to teen girls (Twilight, Teen Wolf, etc), and I kind of want to know some answers. Is this literally a male stereotype in this day and age?

Of course I'm male so my understanding is rather confusing. Is there any goonnette that could explain this to me? Has anyone met guys like this?

Sorry for asking questions but I keep seeing this stereotype pop up again and again in pop culture, and it's kind of driving me crazy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I just kind of want to inquire more about this guy. Does he have friends? Does have a normal home life? Does he have hobbies? He comes off as someone who you wouldn't have a good time with. Like he wouldn't be the type you'd slam beers with at the bar, etc.

Think of it this way; he exists to be an object. He has no externalities or concerns and simply exists to do what you want and be gorgeous. He's completely blank other than looks and baseline "I care" attitudes because it allows you to project what you want onto him. Its something you'll see a lot more of in the future.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gaunab posted:

That's Sleigh Bells in the commercial playing a song called Rill Rill from their first album Treats, which came out 3 years ago. They sampled Can You Get To That. I can see how you don't like it since the sampling is so blatant. Sort of like Blurred Lines and Got To Give It Up.

Yeah, between those two I feel like a line needs to be drawn between "sampling" and "singing your own lovely lyrics over a track for somebody else's much better song."

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't have videos embedded, so I thought it was going to be this OTHER Wonderful Pistachios ad that is also worthy of :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3lRp1vivSo

loving seriously? That Prancercise thing was popular on the internet for like two days at the most, wasn't it? I'm surprised they never did a Harlem Shake commercial.

...please tell me they never did a Harlem Shake commercial.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 18, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Nope. I guess the closest we get is this little number

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyWpC3144AU

I wonder though, how much money do the pistachio people have to be able to afford all the recognizable celebrities and intellectual properties they also use for little 20 second ads? Because there's a shitton of them.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

raditts posted:

loving seriously? That Prancercise thing was popular on the internet for like two days at the most, wasn't it? I'm surprised they never did a Harlem Shake commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8CGQHAqSrE
Keyboard Cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnAbtsKg14A
Honeybadger

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, I know they've done plenty of lovely commercials based on shittier internet memes (also a Gangnam Style one like 6 months after that ship had sailed), but the Prancercise thing, I wouldn't even have known about it if I hadn't seen a passing reference to it as local evening news filler once.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
For an idea of how late the Gangnam Style pistachio commercial was, I'm pretty sure it was a Superbowl commercial

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

raditts posted:

Yeah, between those two I feel like a line needs to be drawn between "sampling" and "singing your own lovely lyrics over a track for somebody else's much better song."

Man I bet you're going to be really upset when you here Kanye's "Stronger"

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I really want to know how well this whole pistachios campaign is doing for them, I wonder if "throw a billion dollars at advertising a random product and people will buy it" works.

Coincidentally I quite like pistachios

I buy them from Costco for much less and the pistachios commercial people get no money :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the pistachio thing is because the company that runs them has a virtual monopoly on them.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

I think the pistachio thing is because the company that runs them has a virtual monopoly on them.

Yeah, to me it just seems like the kind of thing you don't really need to advertise. If you don't already like them, you're probably not going to run out and try them because of some stupid commercial. Same with the ads that are just for certain foods in general like pork or milk.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah, to me it just seems like the kind of thing you don't really need to advertise. If you don't already like them, you're probably not going to run out and try them because of some stupid commercial. Same with the ads that are just for certain foods in general like pork or milk.

That's true, but both Coke and Pepsi have said that when they stop advertising in an area, their sales goes down.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I remember Levi Johnston being featured in one of those pistachio commercials shortly after he knocked up Bristol Palin. He had a security guard with him and its line was, "Now Levi Johnston does it with protection." It was kind of amusing because at that time, it was about the only legacy of Sarah Palin's political career.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alpha3KV posted:

I remember Levi Johnston being featured in one of those pistachio commercials shortly after he knocked up Bristol Palin. He had a security guard with him and its line was, "Now Levi Johnston does it with protection." It was kind of amusing because at that time, it was about the only legacy of Sarah Palin's political career.

This was in the relevant links...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVyvNS8Ld3s

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I don't necessarily know if it's an ad I hate, but watching an A-list star go from starring roles to Nyquil commercials in the span of a couple of years is worth a mention.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

ElectricSheep posted:

I don't necessarily know if it's an ad I hate, but watching an A-list star go from starring roles to Nyquil commercials in the span of a couple of years is worth a mention.

In Canada they run some with Jarome Iginla so it's probably more of a case of NyQuil just willing to shell out a big fat sack of cash than desperation.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

ElectricSheep posted:

To be fair, she did it to herself.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
An ad for an Opt-Out thing for Obamacare... Dear God, tell me this is parody and not a real ad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1ZFPmiSA74

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ElectricSheep posted:

I dunno, was she really ever an "A-list star"? I mean she's been in a lot of forgettable movies but her most recognizable role was on a TV show.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I always thought of her as a B-List Amy Adams myself.

But Nyquil has been using celebrities in commercials for a few years now. There's one with a football player.

Edit:

JediTalentAgent posted:

An ad for an Opt-Out thing for Obamacare... Dear God, tell me this is parody and not a real ad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1ZFPmiSA74

Thanks for that nightmare.

Tupping Liberty fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I just saw a subway ad making fun of infomercials with a guy claiming that getting Sushi for lunch cost 29.99

:psyduck:. Not that's it high end or anything, but I've seen places selling it for it 7-8 bucks.

Also, he was being all :smug: about how a subway sandwich was better than a home made one. I guarantee I could make a better sandwich cheaper and of higher quality than anything subway could make.