Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
We've already had "You don't have an iPhone" and "Dr. Pepper tastes like Dr. Pepper", but in the last half hour or so, I've seen Dunkin' Donuts' Frozen Hot Chocolate tastes like frozen hot chocolate at least 5 times. It was annoying te first time, and it gets moreso each time.

Also, DQ ads are just getting more and more annoying. It'd almost be impressive if it didn't drive me so crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

The Steak Justice posted:

Look at that thing! People are goldfish so I'll point out every mundane detail of our WAAACKY commercial! Otherwise they might miss that the cloud is talking or that my torso is on backwards!

Seriously. While they'd still be dumb, they'd be far less insufferable if they guy would jsut shut up. Just have him think everything going on is mundane except for the DQ stuff which he finds amazing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

vyst posted:

I always turn the channel for those ASPCA commercials. I know they are cute, battered animals but i can't watch :ohdear:

The song is depressing, as are the dogs. The only one I've watched without immediately reaching for the remote was one with Jason Alexander in it, because it was just so bizarre to me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Dalai Lamacide posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehjo28X5JY8

Keith Stone is hilarious.

See, this is everything that those DQ and Edge commericals want to be. This is random "awesome" stuff done right. Don't explain anything, jsut let it happen.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

CobiWann posted:

Eh, the guy retired from acting to coach kids' softball in New Jersey. I can't hate on him for that. And that commercial is a lot funnier than the Richard Lewis/Rosanne one...

I think the best one wasdefinitely the Aretha Franklin/Liza Minnelli one, but only because I love Lucielle 2Liza Minnelli.

And I may be remembering the commercial wrong, but I don't know if Dominos is saying "Kids hate this pizza, but cool adults will" so much as they're saying "Get this pizza, and get a second one discounted in case you or someone you're eating with doesn't like it. Probably kids."

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Moose Bigelow posted:

Just realized today that annoying girl from e-surance ad is now in an ad for dog treats. I must learn her name so I can destroy her career.

I think she's adorable. Please don't kill her.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

raditts posted:

She's also in a Metamucil commercial.
The shape of her head bothers me, it's like a giant fleshtoned pumpkin.

Something about the phrase "giant fleshtoned pumpkin" mas kept me laughing for the last few minutes.

I dunno, I just find her to be cute. She kinda bothered me at first, but then she grew on me, I guess. She's not overly quirky like most girls in commericals, so maybe that's why.

Back on topic, I forget what phone it's for, but whoever thought the commercial with the girl screaming at the top of her lungs at a picture of a spider was a good idea can gently caress right off. Commericals are loud enough in the first place, now this one just has screaming.

e: Oh, man, a Farmers insurance commerical just played on the radio with J.K. Simmonds, and it was kind of like listening to a Cave Johnson bit. I like that commercial.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 5, 2011

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Oh, man, I couldn't make it 10 seconds into that video. Boy was that bad. I am convinced that McDonald's will never have a commercial that I like.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

SamBishop posted:

I hate both of you so much for having to look this up. Everything about it gives me a full body shiver.

WHAT THE gently caress AHHHHHHHHH

I don't know what it is, I don't care what it is, I just want this loving commercial off my goddamn TV.

Oh, man, I have no idea how to properly react to that besides AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Dammit, Sam.

vyst posted:

Someone in the sports subforum has that Ovetchkin laugh as an avatar gif and it cracks me up every time. Nice to see the original commercial.

That's mcvey, and I'm very glad he got it because it brightens my day every time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

muscles like this? posted:

After midnight Eastern time CC's ads get all pervy and weird.

All Girls Gone Wild, all the time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Y-Hat posted:

You can't tell me that this wasn't made to appeal to furries.

If you mean appeal to he commerical director, who is a furry, then yes.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ALFbrot posted:

Speaking of these, if you were one of the girls in the videos, wouldn't you be mad if you were the one girl in the commercials whose tits get censored by "MONEY BACK GUARANTEE" instead of "SO HOT" or whatever?

I think I'd be OK with it if the "MONEY BACK GUARANTEE" thing also had a ~boioioioioing~ sound effect, or maybe a slide whistle.

e: I am a dude, though, so I can't really say what I'd do in that situation, since it'd never happen.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Mister E posted:

How do you convince people to adopt alternative energy solutions? How about getting a kid to act like a condescending douchenozzle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAoLBlVizY8

Move over Highlander kid, you've been outsmugged by the new king.

Oh, man. Like, I know what they're going for in the "You're destroying our planet, kids are our future", but if there's one thing people hate more than nearly anything, it's kids trying to teach them things.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

DJExile posted:

Audi is running a radio ad where some guy has come out of nowhere to sit in some woman's car because he's going to own it next. It's really loving creepy.

They have a few of these for TV, too. Or at the very least, for Hulu. They're really troubling, and hella stupid. Like, I get what they're trying to say, but it's not really a reason to buy an Audi.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

raditts posted:

:what: Have they had a caveman commercial in like, the last year?

They come on all of the time when they play NHL games on Versus, because they're the official sponsor of it. There are a few different ones, and they're all "Let's go to the caveman for a reports on hockey!", and every time he tries to talk, there's something Geico nearby so he gets all offended. They're pretty insufferable, because there would be at least one every break.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

vyst posted:

I got 15 bucks from the activia class action lawsuit :smug:

Did you use it to buy more yogurt?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

DJExile posted:

Geico's caveman was all over NHL coverage last season and I expect that to continue :sigh:

Seriously the worst part of watching hockey games. I think the only one I laughed at was the Mike Green one, and even that one was way overdone, considering Green's acting ability.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

MillionsV posted:

The long-form version of this commercial drives me loving berserk.

Douche chef: I can do that.

Judge: For 99 cents?

Douche chef: Probably not.

Grrrr! OF COURSE you can do it for 99 cents, jerkoff! THAT'S WHAT IT COSTS!

I know the thing they're going for is "You wouldn't find somehting like this for 99c elsewhere!", but what that says to me is "We make these things with 99c worth of ingredients and effort".

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

big business sloth posted:

I don't know if it's actually a television ad or not, but has anyone been listening to last.fm and continuously seen that loving starburst commercial with the dog and the two guys in the car?

Fat idiot moron: "snk...heh... you're dog's quite the contradiction...!"

No he isn't you insufferable twat I am going to find and kill you

It comes on about once every 10 songs and this smug moron just keeps announcing his incredibly lofty insight which is completely moronic and false. It's not even a contradiction at all, you goddamn dicksplashes! I'm so surprised at how mad I can get at a dumb ad, but sweet hell, Starburst, you've done it.

I'm sure y'all have voiced how awful those Starburst: A Juicy Contradiction! ads are, but since I don't have TV I rarely see them. There are lots more, I assume.

Yeah, that one's pretty bad. They're not all bad, though. The Scotch-Korean kid get a chuckle out of me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

big business sloth posted:

That's still not a contradiction though. That's what gets me most.

Neither is a Starburst. It's like how none of Alanis Morissette's ironies were actually ironic.

If the things are delivered humorously enough, like the Scotch-Korean kid, or that mime posted above, then it doesn't really matter what it really is. What makes the dog one especially bad is that monotone "Hey, how about that dog, huh?" way it's deliviered.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I can't see JLo the same anymore after I saw a picture of her in a snakeskin suit, and she looked like Stephen Tyler.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Wagonburner posted:

Maybe it's just a regional thing? I dunno, for me they have white meat that pulls apart in strings/fibers just like any real chicken, not the gross poo poo they used to be made of.

I think they've changed it in the last year or so to be more real chicken than mechanically seperated whatever, but so many people got so frightened from finding out about that pink goop they used to make it out of that they haven't gone back since. I know I haven't.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Peanut President posted:

Nah I'm with you.

I honestly thought the commercial would flip around at the end and the guy with the pen would have the last laugh but nope.

Yeah, I was really hoping this, but by halfway through it, I figured it would be an "awesome tablet" ad. And then I was wrong again, as it was an eBay ad! That had so little to do with eBay that it was honestly mind-boggling!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I like those eBay commercials, but I can't say that I agree with the core concept of them. There are a lot of ads out there that take a well-know song, change the lyrics to fit their thing, and then do some dumb series of ads with it. While I was watching that "That's on eBay!" commercial just now, all I could think of was UPS's dumb "That's Logistics!" campaign, and I got kind of angry.

e: I think the difference is that the eBay commercials have people that seem to know how ridiculous it is, and are trying to have fun doing it, while others actually try to get the ads taken seriously.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ElwoodCuse posted:

Why is this so terrible? "We're cheaper than the other guy" is one of the oldest, simplest forms of advertising. Should Blockbuster not try to turn their company around by going after the millions of people who just quit Netflix?

Yeah, if anything, I think it's a really good strike back at them. I don't see why they shouldn't be bragging about their low rates when Netflix just lost a bunch of customers because of price, and about how all of the stuff can be gotten in one place instead of by 2 or more services. It actually made me laugh because it was obvious what they were going for.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Bodnoirbabe posted:

The reason behind the splitting and cost hikes is to be able to offer more and better streaming content. For the price, Blockbuster simply will not be able to offer as much as Netflix. Anyone who signs on with them is going to be sorely disappointed. This is a last ditch effort by Blockbuster to remain relevant and it's going to crash and burn.

Blockbuster isn't targeting the well-informed, they're targeting the people who had Netflix, and had knee-jerk reaction to abandon ship. And even then, some people just want a cheap service that'll give them most things, but not in every medium, rather than a more expensive service that will give them more things, but in one medium.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Pierce and Pierce posted:

OH GOD THE CREEPY SNICKERS COMMERCIAL WITH THE KIDS IN THE OLD LADY COSTUME IS BACK! :gonk:

Yessssss. So creepy, it's hilarious.

Has anyone seen those new Saints' Row the Third commercials taht make no sense? Because I think they're by Tim & Eirc, and I love them.

e: Ends up it might just be one commercial that I saw 2 times and didn't fully process it either time. It's this one.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 5, 2011

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

The Merkinman posted:

Am i the only one bothered by the Vonage commercial with the barista(?). Now talk on your phone and spin instead of doing your job even though it's visibly pissing off your customers!

Also the consumerist is doing voting for the worst commercial
http://consumerist.com/2011/10/vote-here-for-the-worst-ad-in-america-awards.html

Oh, man. I'm torn between "Men Barley Tolerating their Wives and Girlfriends" and "Old Spice Copycats" for Trends that Nedd to Stop Being Trends. Decisions, decisions.

e: Oh, after looking at their examples, it's not what I thought it was. I thought they were talking about things like the Chase Freedom or the AT&T Unlimited Plan ones. Old Spice Copycats it is.

And yeah, the spider one is easily more annoying, even if "Poop there it is" is creepy.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 6, 2011

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

NaturalLow posted:

Yes. She's also in some commercial for dog treats. There is no escaping Suzi Barrett.

I find her adroable, honestly. I find the Metamucil commerical a bit annoying, but not necessarily because of her.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

DJExile posted:

There are countless market studies out there that point to women as the main decision maker for household day-to-day spending, especially as regards food and beverages. There's a drat good reason advertising for so many things are aimed at women, they're the ones going out to buy the items.

While I won't argue the study or its affects on advertising, this only make me think of that AT&T Commercial where the wife freaks out because the husband went out and bought something. Who is that geared towards? Like, how does that make the product or service appealing to anyone?

Also, it makes me think of the Sears air conditioning commercial of yesteryear.
:j:You said you'd call yesterday!
:v:I'll call today!
:j:You'll call now!
:v:... I'll call now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Captain Kickass posted:

I....think he wants to sell it for several million and then kick his owner to the curb? That's my guess. In which case the owner is a dumbass for keeping an intelligent talking dog around who is trying to ruin his business.

But if he lets the dog go, he will run amok and sell off what he knows of the recipe! The guy's keeping him under as close of a watch as he can, and is simply waiting for him to die.

Hey, those Old Navy "Wiggle It" ar pretty annoying. I don't think there's been a single Old Navy commerical that hasn't bee undearable right out of the gate.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Yeah, I don't get the hate for that commercial. The commercial's not exactly painting her in a positive light.

Why would I want to buy this AT&T plan when the one guy they're showing with one almost destroyed his family doing just that?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Vicas posted:

There's this Pepsi Throwback commercial on the radio when I listen to Flyers games that annoys the poo poo out of. gently caress you, Devo.

Yeah, as much as I like the WIP roadcasts, that ad got tiresome very quickly.
e: WIP Appreciation Station up in here.

On another "They ruined this song" note, I saw an ad this morning for Party City, I think, that used a poorly re-done Thriller in it. It was kids dancing around seemingly at random, singing Thriller. I've never been sadder about a commercial in my life.

My sister told me it was an old commercial but it was the first time I saw it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

That's a good point: I think I've only seen the Truvia ones on cable stations like the Cooking Channel.

I'm still not sure which is worse - original jingles that try to sound like real (pop) songs, or real songs that are re-purposed into jingles. Probably the latter, especially when they just play the chorus over and over (like in that creepy Hershey's "I Melt with You" commercial).

I can't see any of those "I Melt With You" commercials anymore without thinking of this thread. It always seemed pretty innocuous to me because I had never really listened to the song before, and now I just think of a goon the psoted "IT'S NOT ABOUT CHOCOLATE, HERSHEY! IT'S ABOUT loving!", and I laugh.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I have more than a sneaking suspicion that the announcer from the Scrubbing Bubbles commercial is the Professor from the Powerpuff Girls. It bothers me.

I'm pretty sure it is. The guy does a lot of commercial voice work, from what I understand. I heard it, too, and it unsettles me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's not my problem, it's the woman who they have talking at them like she's there. It sounds strange to me and I don't like it.

I never got the feeling that she was supposed to be talking to them in that commercial. Like, there's no back and forth between them. It's more like she's commenting on the comments they give the chicken.

That said, I do hate that series of commercial, though. They just seem so fake overall.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Promoted Pawn posted:

In addition to all that other fakeness, I'm convinced that whenever you see a hand come into the frame holding a little card (that says something like 'only ¢99') over a shot of a sandwich, that its been superimposed there in post production. I can't quite figure out why they would go through the trouble of doing that instead of just doing it for real in the shot, but something about the way the hand moves makes me think it's not really there.

I think it's so that they can change the price, if need be. Like, suddenly it's not 99c for a chicken sandwich, but is 1.99 for a chicken sandwich and a coke. Go get that stock footage and put a new hand in there!

I think the last time Wendy's filmed entirely new commercials for different things was when Dave Thomas was still around.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Rhyno posted:

Well, just talking about it made me crave it.

I think this might be the least appetizing picture of food I've seen in awhile. At least the put it on a nicer bun than their regular burgers.

Will there ever be a McDonalds commercial that isn't horribly annoying, and that also makes some sort of sense? I don't think so, but I'd really like them to surprise me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Wagonburner posted:

That episode had an incredible Requiem for a Dream reference in it with the fat from the sandwich hitting homer's bloodstream.

I don't know why I go to Mcdonalds. Their fries are the best, but I'm a meat-eater and would never go somewhere just for fries. Every time I take that 1st bite of a Mcds burger (or mcrib) I think "oh yeah this is what it tastes like, and what it's tasted like every single time I've been here, why the gently caress did I get a craving to come here?" It doesn't taste like normal meat but somehow I'm drawn to it and thinking about it until I get that 1st disappointing bite.

They're putting something in it I swear, the corporations and their chemicals man. I mean wendy's and BK aren't great but their burgers DO taste like actual beef, they're just as close to work as Mcds if I'm wanting something fast, why do I even consider Mcd's an option? (a: addictive chemicals. put there by corporations.)

You go for the Happy Meal toys, don't you? They always had the best toys, even if it was the worst food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Hey, now. Hot dogs are delicious, and scrapple is one of the best things about living in Pennsylvania.