Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
IIRC, Apple had a big push into schools with the iMac so they ended up being pretty ubiquitous school computers, even if people at home were using Windows machines. I hated working on them because I knew what I needed to know from my home computer, but I at least learned to type pretty well from those classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

I remember an embarrassing number of ads that used to air on Nickelodeon when I was a kid, especially if they were ads for things I didn't have.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Gonz posted:

The Sears air conditioning ad is quite possibly the worst ad ever devised in the history of television.

"I'll call now!"

Call a garbage truck, you human trash.

You remember it, don't you? Seems like a pretty good ad in that case.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Gonz posted:

I remember the Challenger disaster, too.

And I bet you remember the brand of shuttle, don't you?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Please note that it's a comedy central roast and not a Friar's Club roast. Anybody can get a CC roast and they are basically meaningless.

e: I say that with a quote from one in my avatar.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Mahoning posted:

And the Friar's Club roasted Bruce Willis in 1989...so.......

Haha, well, nevermind then. Roasts themselves are for anybody, then.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Beastie posted:

All you need to know about Geico is that 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance. The other content of the ad is irrelevant.

Actually the most important part of a Geico commercial is Dikembe Mutumbo slamming a box of cereal into the ground.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Majorian posted:

Dear Samsung - ever since I first heard the song "Que Sera Sera," I felt as though it was missing something. No song deserves a horrible remix like a sleepy old Doris Day standard. Thank you for putting a lovely beat beneath it for your dumb commercial and making my terrible dream a reality.

I also really appreciated YouTube making it basically the only ad I got on every video for about a week.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Anyone remember an ad for pet urine cleaner but instead of animals it was women in sexy Halloween costumes? For some reason I had a dream about it last night and I’m 90% sure it was real but I can’t find it.

I don't have it handy, but I can at least tell you that it does exist, or we have a shared false memory.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Peanut President posted:

I hate insurance companies and BRANDS but isn't the joke that you only pay for what you need. As in they paid for an emu mascot when the dude works just fine, just as you are with your car insurance?

If that's the point, then it's very poorly communicated, with the emu being the focus of the campaign and all

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Bruceski posted:

Anyone else see "Trivago spokesperson" and immediately think they were talking about the gnome?

The gnome was Travelocity, which goes to show what wonders it did for their branding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n3pFFPSlW4

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Iron Crowned posted:

Maximum Fun is really a misnomer for that podcast network.

There's plenty of fun to be had, it's just incredibly poorly conveyed in 30 second summaries.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Fabulousity posted:

Those pistachio commercials with the CGI elephant that wanders around being an unrepentant rear end in a top hat in public.

I don't know what it is, but this one was the first CGI animal in a while to give me chills. I can't explain it. I wish commercial CGI would go back to The General level stuff.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Sash! posted:

If you dislike seeing Dikembe Mutombo obliterate a cereal box, then taunt a child, I posit you are incapable of appreciating humor.

I hold that this is the lone exception to Geico's bad ads. It's incredibly good and the only knock against it is that it is a Geico ad.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Iron Crowned posted:

You forgot Pinktober

And Honda Days

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s a plague of crows?

No it's a plague of grackles. Crows is a murder.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Enough to switch to Geico?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

muscles like this! posted:

Ubisoft is doing a terrible Youtube ad campaign for the new Assassin's Creed game with commercials that tell you to search Youtube for another video and also include Brett Gellman yelling at you.

Makes sense they'd get Gelman. The logical conclusion of Animus designs is basically just the iBrain.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
They still do jingles, you just forget them until something triggers them in your mind. You hear the word "farmers" or "liberty", or "buy" and "car" in the same sentence, and your brain is off to the races. They're just not as involved as they used to be.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I still remember the mailing address for Nick in the Afternoon because it was set to a song. Jingles are both a great joy, and an inescapable hell.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Did anybody else have VHS tapes of commercials from, like, the 50s and 60s when they were growing up? Someone got them for my parents and I watched them a lot and know a few jingles that weren't being used by the time I was born because of it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
There's a Wawa ad on YouTube right now for free coffee as customer appreciation. There's an exchange in it that is the customer saying "thank you", and the cashier saying "no, thank you". This happens at about the 5 second mark, so if you skip it, you get "Thank you", "No". I hate most Wawa ads these days, but this one has been cracking my poo poo up for a week now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Bird in a Blender posted:

I see ads for Hims, which is more or less dick pills. The I see ads for Hers, which looks to be online mental health treatment for women. This seems very spot-on for our society.

Women, sort yourself out.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I feel like we've been making fun of drug ads since I was a kid, at least, and they're getting worse all the time. It all feels just as bad as Happy Fun Ball, and that was supposed to be a joke. The real solution is just to not advertise prescription drugs to consumers, but that's also not profitable to do so we'll keep getting this poo poo.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
They also sell potato chips.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Nobody likes them, but you definitely recognized them as charmin bears. That's what's important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Billy Mays died the same week as Michael Jackson, and they were both apparently the same age.