Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Macy's has paired Martha Stewart and Puff Daddy in the same commercial. Am I the only one who thinks that these two people are light years apart on the demographic ad spectrum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Industrial posted:

It's a really good thing Lexus plays their ads so often, because it took me at least 10 times to figure out what the people were even responding to.

I'm the same way. They portray the ad as if the Lexus jingle is as recognizable as the theme from the Olympics, James Bond, or the 1st few bars of Beethoven's 5th symphony. "Hey, I know that song!"

Before they had the spot running twice every commercial break on every single station there is, it wasn't.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
"I'm not going to be the person I'm expected to be anymore"

Oh, really, Mr. pretentious, self-centered douchebag supermodel, who will walk out of a press conference when I dont like the questions presented to me?

Go gently caress yourself.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I hate this :smug: woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnWXQGYsReQ

I hate all these commercials that imply that just because you are now saving what? $10-$15 on your cell phone bill, you can now buy a Rolls or the Crown Jewels. "I saved ten bucks, so that puts me in the Bill Gates wealth zone". Just stop, already.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
The DiGiorno ads where the husband tries to blame the muddy carpet on the pizza delivery guy make no sense.

Wife: "the carpet is hosed up and we just had it cleaned"
Husband: "the pizza guy did it, sweetie, see these cheesy bread sticks? You cant get those with frozen pizza"

At this point, if the wife believes him, who cleans up the carpet? The pizza guy who left ten minutes ago? Does douchebag husband continue to eat pizza and watch the game with his friends while the wife cleans it up?

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
There is this shaver ad that has Adrian Brody, Andre 3000, and some random eurotrash. My issue with this ad is that Andre's straw hat looks like it got ran over by a lawnmower. Why is he wearing a straw hat with holes in it?

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
The ad for the new sandwich at Burger King makes zero sense. The guy is waving the sandwich around, and the dog is staring at it, but then so is everyone else. The dog gets a pass, but why is everyone else under a spell? I am assuming the the guy is eating his sandwich at a Burger King, just like everyone else there. Did they not go inside and order like he did? Did they not see the ads plastered all over the inside of the store?

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
If 2 Aleve last all day long, why are you taking the bottle with you to work today? If it lasts all day, you wont need it anymore.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
If you are going to Subway on prom night, you might as well fill out an employment application while you are there.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

ElwoodCuse posted:

If you are owed a refund you have three years to claim it, or it's gone.

The commercial mentions that the customer has not filed taxes for 8 years, and implies that they can get a refund.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
"You have 3 years to claim a tax refund.
This is measured from the original deadline of the tax return, plus three years. For example, your 2010 tax return is due on April 15th, 2011. Add three years to this filing deadline, and you have until April 15th, 2014, to file your 2010 tax return and still get a tax refund. If you file your 2010 return after April 15th, 2014, then your refund "expires." It goes away forever because the statute of limitations for claiming a refund has closed.

If you already filed a tax return, you can claim any additional refunds by sending in corrections with an amended return. Amended returns claiming additional refunds must be filed with the IRS before the statute of the limitations expires three years from the original April 15th due date.

Filing an extension may extend the period for claiming refunds. Under code section 6511(b)(2)(A), the IRS can issue refunds for a particular year if you requested an extension and subsequently file a tax return within three years from the extended deadline."

"The IRS has 10 years to collect outstanding tax liabilities.
This is measured from the day a tax liability has been finalized. A tax liability can be finalized in a number of ways. It could be a balance due on a tax return, an assessment from an audit, or a proposed assessment that has become final. From that day, the IRS has ten years to collect the full amount, plus any penalties and interest. If the IRS doesn't collect the full amount in the 10-year period, then the remaining balance on the account disappears forever because the statute of limitations on collecting the tax has expired."

We have 3 years to get our money, but the IRS has 10 to get theirs.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
"Professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt. Cars cannot fly."

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
If you are going mountain climbing, it does not matter if you have your Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance card with you, because that is for health insurance. If you have an accident and fall 100 feet to a granite faceplant, your health insurance card being on your person does not help anyone, because more than likely you (or rather your loved ones) will need the information off of your life insurance card, so take that with you instead.

Also, this: "Look at my health insurance card! See that I have it in my hand? See that it is Blue Cross/Blue Shield?" What is this about? Are people actually as proud/loyal/dedicated to their health insurance company as they are to their local sports teams that they feel the need to display it to everyone? Honestly, I cant make sense of this, even in the alternate reality of commercial land.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

muscles like this? posted:

The thing that I find most annoying about that commercial is that the guy doesn't just say he wants a coffee and an Egg McMuffin from McDonalds but that he uses the term "Premium Roasted" or whatever it is that McDonald's brands it.

I can't stand any commercial where the actor uses some long name, a prefix or suffix that no one in the real world uses when ordering a product. Nobody orders a "premium roasted coffee", nobody gives a gently caress what "premium roasted" means, and if they do they are not going to McDonalds for it. Same goes for "Ice Cold Coca Cola" and "triple thick shake". No one uses these terms except actors in your commercials, so just loving stop already.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

rotinaj posted:

They keep saying Alaskan Pollock like that's something to be proud of. Pollock is what they use in fish sticks. Come on now.

This is because if they give a specific name to it, it doesn't sound like it's the stuff they sweep off the floor and form into frankenchunks that people assume are combonations of 40 different types of fish

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
I don't understand the McDonalds radio ads for the "Filet-O-fish finder". I dont need a geiger counter-like device to find a filet-o-fish sandwich. Eating a random fish sandwich found laying around is a poor nutritonal choice. Maybe an app for a GPS that tells me where the closest McDonalds is would be more practical.

The TV spot on the fishing boat also does not make logical sense. The boat is out to sea. All of a sudden, the fish finder goes off. The Captain, in his zeal, runs to tell the crew in the galley that they have just hit the "mother load". As he runs to the galley, the beeping of the device increases in rhythm. When he enters the galley, he finds that the fish finder is not triggered by a school of fish underneath the boat, but by the crew eating Filet-o-fish sandwiches. A crew member even taunts the Captain by moving his sandwich closer to the device, causing it to increase in frequency.
When did the fish sandwiches appear on the boat? Since the fish finder did not trigger until now, the fish sandwiches did not arrive on the boat until just now. How did the fish sandwiches arrive on the boat? Helicoptor? Would not the Captain know that a helicoptor just dropped supplies on the ship (answer: yes)
Am I over the top in my train of thought? I have accepted that a fish finding device can be triggered by a fish sandwich (impossible, no such device currently exists), I just want the rest of the commercial to make logical sense.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Gonz posted:

The short answer: Jesus.

Jesus delivered all of those sandwiches.

With magic.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions - all on a sesame seed bun, I will fear no evil.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Gonz posted:

I dunno, i'd have to qualify a C-130 gunship spraying Washington DC with .50 cal bullets as an "emergency".

I think Fuzzy means that they should not use what might be interpreted as an actual EAS message in a commercial (War of the Worlds radio broadcast). Within the movie is fine, but dont use that in the commercial. Generating interest in a fictional film for the purpose of increased ticket sales is not an emergency.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

rotinaj posted:

or take some kind of daily pill

If your heartburn/reflux/GERDS is this much a negative influence in your life, why would you not take medication for it?

But, yes, you are correct. "X = X" is a stupid statement that means absolutely nothing.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
No, I am not going to the internet to hear the rest of your lame, pointless story about the 1st day of your retirement, how you are quitting smoking, dealing with diabetes, etc. I didnt give a poo poo about you in the 30 second spot, seeing a 10 minute commercial of you is not going to change that.
The fake ones are worse. The "Hangover" inspired webisode of your bromance weekend can go take a flying gently caress at a rolling doughnut. Same for the "ManTable" of macho jobs worthy enough to be honored by your booze.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

raditts posted:

So is the Priceline Negotiator dead, or did he just fake his death, or what? The plot progression of Priceline commercials is very confusing.

He faked his own death, then sent his own daughter into the mountains of Tibet for (X amount) of years to learn from monks (just like he did many years ago) how to be the Priceline negotiator. She then takes over (under his guidance from the shadows), and even teaches him some new methods. (The student has become the master/Your training has exceeded my expectations).

Or something.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

raditts posted:

I was under the impression that he sent her away as a child, then later became the Priceline Negotiator, then picked her up after faking his death.

Sure, that makes sense. That means the scene when he drops her off is a flashback
I remember the caption as well when the spot 1st aired.

Nerdfest X fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 10, 2013

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
If Dr J is inside the magical land within the Crown Royal bag, why is the first thing he does when he gets out is order a Crown Royal? They didn't have booze inside the alternate dimension inside the purple Crown Royal bag?

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Chuck Liddell can threaten people with bodily harm to get better seats at the game, be allowed to take flash photos when clearly against policy, or even ride a dolphin. He cannot make beer magically appear if the bar is sold out.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

ElwoodCuse posted:

They just pay for them, not create them

I'm fairly certain they have creative input.

I was always amused by the ones where they would put little signs next to dog poop on the sidewalk "Tobacco has the same stuff that's in this doggy-doo". You are not making the world a better place by putting those signs. In fact you are littering. Picking up all that crap would make the world a better place though.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

404GoonNotFound posted:

The best part is that due to a series of lawsuits, Five Hour Energy is no longer allowed to claim that they actually provide energy nor last a full five hours.

5 Hour Energy now has a campaign "Don't listen to all the bullshit, get the facts on our website, and decide for yourself"

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
T-mobile Frankenstein commercial? Same premise as the Geico caveman. Still dumb.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
CCR's "Fortunate Son" used in a commercials because if you truncate the lyrics, it sounds like a patriotic song. (It's an anti-war song about rich, privileged kids not having to fight in Vietnam, while the rest of us do)

Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" used in a "Rugrats" movie & Cruise ship ad campaign. (It's about being a heroin junkie)

I'm sure there are many more examples.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Ice coffee is black, so is ice cold cola. Since both these are good that makes the new Guinness which is black automatically good? The new asphalt in my driveway is black, so is that hotdog I forgot and left on the grill.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
No, you didn't eat the bones, nor do you think you ate the bones, unless you forgot the bucket of chicken that you bought was specifically called "boneless" and you can't read the word "boneless" that is printed on the side of the box in huge letters.

I wish you did eat the bones and one got caught in your throat, and EMT's had to perform an emergency tracheotomy with a kitchen knife and a ball point pen.

Nerdfest X fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 8, 2013

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Sash! posted:

Not necessarily. Did you know they actually have programming specifically to fit into the slots when other stations are doing pledge drives? They even announce it as such.

Do people actually believe this propaganda?

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
The Pepsi Challenge.
Avis "We Try Harder".

Any product whose main ad campaign amounts to "We are just as good (or better!) as the other, bigger company" positively equals No, you are not just as good or better, because if you were, you wouldn't be making commercials trying to convince customers that you are.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Hairspray. loving Hairspray.

Mega hold. Ultra hold. Maximum hold. Super hold. Extra hold.

Is there a chart listing what these terms mean? Is Ultra better than Super, or the other way around? Where on the scale is Half-rear end hold. Is there a Flimsy hold?

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Also not political, but from a practical standpoint, it makes no rational sense. If I were told "go to the back of the line", a line thousands of people long, I'm just not going to get in that line. And being forced to learn another language? I'll pass, thanks.

This has nothing to do with the immigration argument. It's about logic and human behavior.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
I was referring to the hassle of bureaucracy, and nothing to do with immigration per se, or becoming a citizen. It was about EFFORT -> REWARD.

The reward could be getting a drivers' license. I am already driving, why bother going to the DMV? It is common knowledge that DMV = Boring ALL DAY EVENT dealing with civil service fuckheads. I'm not down with that, so I skip it and keep on driving. If I get caught, they could give me a ticket, put me in jail, maybe even take my car (i.e. deported). I just ignore the ticket, post bail, or buy another car and keep driving (i.e. sneak back). The end result is the same: I am operating a motor vehicle (i.e. in the United States), without the headache of hours of paperwork.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
I clicked on that 1st link for Pacific Rim, and the thing that got me is there was one of those pop up boxes in the video to link to something about "Tribute to James Gandolfini". The guy isn't even loving cold yet, and these attention whores who define their lives by how many Youtube hits they get are posting these to prey on people's emotions.

A Hollywood celebrity dies and the first thing these Frankenstiens think of is "I must hurry and post a memorial tribute to this person, so I get lots of hits on my Youtube channel"

Nerdfest X fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 21, 2013

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Again, with the "go online and learn the rest of my story" bullshit. I could see the point about diabetes, surviving cancer, or your 1st day of retirement and what you did, plans you made to get there. Those in the same situation might watch and feel a comfort that they are not alone, and others have been in the same boat, your life isn't over, this is just a new chapter, etc. Not that I'm interested.

But buying a set of Wahl hair clippers did not change someone's life, nor does it require a long drawn out "It touched my heart, and I will never be the same, thank you so much Wahl hair clippers" webisode. JUST. loving. STOP.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
100,000 hours is over 11 years.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Cathis posted:

The new fresh and easy commercials.. love? Hate? Moatly hate but the whole "f'n easy way" part took me a bit by surprise...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt81i01sIvM

It's the same trend as "I've taken a sheet right in the cockpit" and K-mart's "Big Gas savings".

Sooner or later they will have exhausted every bad pun in existence, and this fad will be over.

Except I know this will never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Back in my day (3-4 years ago) we couldn't move our 64 inch plasma screen TV from room to room all willy-nilly, because that's totally a thing that I do like 17 times a day. You kids don't know how good you got it.

You are twelve loving years old. There is no "back in your day" you smug little brat. gently caress you and gently caress your parents for raising a self-centered douche with an unwarranted entitlement superiority complex.

Nerdfest X fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 15, 2013