Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Am I the only one annoyed by the Ford "news reporter" ads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The Straight Talk ads are starting to get under my skin. The most recent one has an elderly couple with the husband trying to take a picture of his wife in the park. Another lady in the background suddenly gets flustered, goes over to the husband and rips the film off his camera while demanding no more pictures. The voiceover after calls it the "believing you're followed by the papparazi because you feel richer" effect or something like that.

I don't know about you but going with a prepaid cell phone plan through Wal-Mart certainly wouldn't make me feel richer, or turn me into an rear end in a top hat.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Can I just say gently caress Curtis Stone?

You and me both.

At some point he became the spokesperson for the grocery store chain around my state and now I can't turn on a local station without seeing that punchable mug of his.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Gamestop ads, Hell everything about Gamestop, is a great distillation of everything that's wrong with the game industry.

A bunch of idiots in charge think they know what all us "young, hip" gamers like, how we think, etc... and do poo poo like that. See? It's random, so it's funny, right? It's quirky little song...all you kids like your quirky songs, right?

Also known as the loop that video game marketers have been stuck in for the last 20-some years.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

After seeing the Hardees cheddar biscuit commercial I think I need my ears cleaned. With an ice scraper.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Uncle Salty posted:

Can someone explain to me the idea behind the commercial scenario where you have average people doing something in an everyday setting, and a wacky guy comes up to them and barges in, insults them and offers them advice/a better product?

This maxwell House (I think) coffee ad keeps playing on hulu, with a boring white couple having French press coffee in a restaurant (think white tablecloth, a waiter in a tie is plunging their coffee). A dude (the guy is very familiar, can't place him) with a kind of 'blue-collar guy' jacket on comes up to the couple's table with a regular drip coffee machine stuck under his arm, complains about French press pots having plungers, talks about how he likes French fries and then asks the waiter to plug in his coffee machine, so he can make this couple a better cup of coffee.

It is amazingly annoying, and not even because of my particular taste in coffee. What is supposed to be going on in my mind during this ad, instead of 'if some dude cruised up to me and criticized my coffee to my face in front of my (wo)man I would ask him to GTFO'???

That commercial gets additional asinine points for their tagline "Stay Grounded". Hey idiots, both drip brewing and french presses use coffee grounds!

Also, am I the only one annoyed by the Truvia commercials for... I don't know, what do you call that voiceover? Sing-song? Sung poetry? Whatever the hell it is, it gets on my nerves.

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Not speech impediments. Just from the Northeast.

I'll be honest, at first I thought they were yelling "Hoffa!" and that it was gonna end up being an ad for the Teamsters.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

They've been using those idiots in their commercials forever.

I wouldn't mind going for some popcorn chicken but they closed both of the Sonics closest to me. :smith:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

Both? I can actually think of at least 6 Sonics within 50 miles of here. Overpriced mediocre hot dogs and flavor shots, as far as the eye can see.

You have to keep in mind that I live in Iowa and it's two hours to the nearest town that might still have one.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Palleon posted:

Little Caesars still exists? I haven't seen one in almost 20 years. And the last time I did, I thought they were a normal delivery place like everyone else.

They kind of disappeared off the face of the earth for awhile, but recently they've been coming back somehow. There was one in my hometown when I was growing up that closed down when I moved out about 7 years ago, but then a new one popped up in there about 2 years ago. Same thing goes for where I'm living now.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

raditts posted:

The one where they poo poo all over "She Blinded Me with Science" is on right now, and they can all burn in hell as far as I'm concerned.

I think all these commercials have some subliminal "old-school" message to them.

Seriously, I think someone in their marketing department threw out those two words and their diseased collective consciousness let it fester into this.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm fairly sure I just heard someone in an IHOP commercial say "This has swag!" in reference to a dish.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm not sure whether to consider the Windows 8 Tablet ads slamming the iPad using Siri's voice brilliant or off-putting, considering I'm not a big fan of either company.

One thing that I am sure about is that Gamestop still has yet to realize their skit ads suck.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Lately I've noticed some places running an alternate ad of that dumb Pepsi Next commercial with the parents fawning over the new flavor while their newborn tries to impress them. The original had the child doing a Russian dance and this new one has him trying to shred on guitar.

Probably the most offending part of the ad is with the dad trying to film the soda can. "This is going viral! :downs:"

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Sash! posted:

Allow me to show you how I read your post:

"I've noticed ... a ... dumb Pepsi commercial"

Point taken.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

No idea of specifics, but maybe it was "Ronco?" Ron Popeil/Ronco was big in the infomercial world of the 80s and 90s.

I have the ad for their food dehydrator burned into my childhood memory. :v:

There was also that counter-top rotisserie I remember them advertising like 5 times a day before they became commonplace in B&M stores.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

In addition, some networks have been picking out tweets and popping them up on screen while showing reruns. Face Off on Syfy started doing it this season.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Hazo posted:

Nah, the guy went to Ball State and got his business started from there. They're really proud of that. God help you if you talk poo poo about it in Muncie because they loving love Papa John.

That makes me feel a little better about my alma mater's football scheduling them for a free early season win every couple of years.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Arschlochkind posted:

I've seen the Pawn Stars one too, and it just made me think "Well I guess Chromebooks aren't that bad." Those "scroogled" ads are like the new I'm A PC/I'm A Mac.

I had the Pawn Stars one appear while watching news this morning. :geno:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

There's a new NTHSA car safety commercial with clips from the Wizard of Oz of all things spliced through it.

It's more :psyduck:-inducing than anything else.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm more surprised to see a new Monopoly variant that still uses paper money. I remember seeing someone at Christmas last year get one of the newer versions that uses a "credit card" instead of paper money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

Branching off into radio ads: any and all ads that use the dialogue recorded over a telephone line as if the person speaking was too busy to record in an actual studio.

A chain of car dealerships here and in a neighboring town do something very similar to this set-up, with the announcer pretending to interview the owner over the phone.

"Oh, we've got reasons why our prices are so low, but I'm not gonna tell you what they are!" :smug: