Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

raditts posted:

I'm more annoyed that there are still multiple commercials airing right now that use the Mac/PC "two people standing in front of a white background with tinkly music where one is all hey check out my awesome product! and the other is all duh-hyuk I'ma argue that mine is better but you'll show how dumb and wrong I am!" format. It wasn't clever when Apple was doing it and it's even less so when you do, T-Mobile, Kindle, and lovely local bank.

Even Imus is doing that for his commercials now since he has the show on ABC Radio or something like that.

(young, thin, white kid) We make our guests squirm by asking the tough questions.

(older, fat, white guy) ...well...we fluff our guests up and make them as comfortable as possible.

And Imus is just in the background reading the paper because I guess he's too good to deal with any of that poo poo I don't know its a really bad advertisement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

Darth Freddy posted:

I despise the target black Friday commercial.

I work at a Target, and it sucks having to hear like 95% of middle aged housewives guffawing over those commercials and how it's exactly how they feel and I'm just like

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

ThePlotChickens posted:

On the plus side, we weren't subjected to the halftime show.

That sucks because you missed some magic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

If the manager guy didn't say "David" I would not have guessed that was any particular celebrity at all. They must be hitting the panic button since Wendy's passed them.

I read an article a while back on how dumping The King character was basically them going, "Instead of having this creepy dude bring you food that's clearly very unhealthy, we'll instead now focus on the actual food being fresh and of a higher quality!" Once that didn't really do it, they threw a bunch of money at a talk show host and a soccer player. But I don't know, if it's either The King or Jay Leno, I'd much rather the first guy.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

Vicas posted:

I noticed it was different because they took out the subtitles. I think if your commercial needs subtitles in the first place you need to tone it down.

But that's the joke you see! The audience can't understand a word they're saying but the mother and daughter understand each other perfectly so we need subtitles because it's the equivalent of another language! Hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Honestly at this point it feels more like the big companies are racing to make themselves look progressive and feel-good by jumping onto the side of the issue that's obviously going to win.

this is such a bizarre way to think of it that I honestly don't know where to begin. like are you saying it's bad because these companies are showing gay/bi-racial couples, which are still by no means represented in the mainstream media anywhere near as much as white heterosexual couples, for the specific purpose of appearing cool and hip? and even if that somehow was the case behind the scenes, how would that be a bad thing? would you rather not have advertisements show the homosexual/bi-racial as completely ordinary people who also buy/use various products and services? does that need to be an idea firmly on the fringes of mainstream society? I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat I'm just so puzzled by that sentence.