Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That damned insurance company-or-whatever commercial ads showing the 'story' of a man vowing to never get married before getting married, vowing to never have kids before having kids, etc. Ends on the man looking over his happy family and vowing never to leave them. Unintentionally hilarious for all the wrong reasons. But plays all day every day incessantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That damnable ad for some corporate lawyer encouraging people to incorporate if they so much as mow a neighbor's lawn for :10bux: in the summer.

"You don't need a lawyer, and we don't offer legal advice!"

Hey, dumbasses! "You don't need a lawyer" is legal advice! :fuckoff:

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The way the disclaimer is phrased heavily implies "yo there is no reason to involve an attorney in your business decisions" much more so than "technically, yes, you no not legally require representation by an attorney".

It just irritates my the way it's juxtaposed with the okay-yes-not-legal-advice of "you, the listener, should create a legal entity".

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

That commercial is kind of weird because they did a pretty good job with casting the guy through the various time periods until he becomes an adult and all of a sudden they have somebody who doesn't look anything like the other actors.

That's because getting whatever convertible midlifecrisismobile it's advertising is something that physically transforms you into a newer, better person.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gaunab posted:

The buddy holly car commercial really sucks a lot.
They don't even get the drat song right because a happy family singsonging about anything with 'violent' in it wouldn't be good for a commercial.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Progressive insurance.

The "Flo the perky clerk" ads never really bothered me that much. But the current batch of "Flo does an 'impression' of _______" ads that are getting heavy radio/XM rotation make me want to claw my ears out.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

zimbomonkey posted:

The DISH "This is How We Do It" commercial is so bad, for so many reasons.

On the radio, it's even worse, because they just gently caress with the audio to make it sound like "Dish is how we do it". :argh:

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Sash! posted:

If you're badmouthing the AT&T girl, I will find a way to climb through the Internet and bedazzle your face

AT&T PerkyClerk is clearly a not-even-thinly-veiled copy of Progressive PerkyClerk. The AT&T ones aren't really irritating to me per se, but every time I see one, I'm wondering to myself how desperate AT&T's marketing division is that they can't come up with their own oversaturated marketing gimmick.

Progressive PerkyClerk's TV ads never really bothered me all that much, but those infernal radio "Hi, I'm going to give you an "impression" ads are absolutely grating.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There's another radio ad that I'm hearing a lot for some new hearing aid or medicine dietary supplement or something (I don't even know what the ad is for), but makes a point of how the listener doesn't want to "have a hearing aid that makes you look old". Every single time, I want to shout back "A hearing aid doesn't make you look old; it makes you look deaf, you nitwits!"

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
You know those traffic advisory signs that are supposed to warn you of lane blockages ahead due to Reasons three exits ahead on the highway? They're ads now.

quote:

AGGRESSIVE DRIVING
IS THE PATH TO
THE DARK SIDE

:barf:

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

TontoCorazon posted:

How is it that every single loving chevy commercial is so loving bad.

At least the quality of their ads reflects the quality of their cars?

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Actually, I wonder Weird Al could do something about this since you could make the argument that they're not really parodying the original song but just using his parody with the numbers filed off.

The argument could be made, but it wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

It's Al's (parody) song in the same style with new lyrics.

Most of Al's modern parody songs are songs in the same style with new lyrics.

The ad's still terrible though.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

[W]hy exactly does burger king think smothering [a burger] in a 'butter sauce' would be appetizing?

One of their execs went to Culver's one day and was inspired by their "butterburgers".

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Short Penguin posted:

don't diss culvers. Their butterburgers are amazing, as is their fries and shakes.

:colbert:

I'll give you the burgers - they are tasty, as are the shakes, but I've gotten better fries from the frozen potato section of my grocer.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SpacePig posted:

Saw one of those last night where a woman was sitting at a stop sign, and then went to make her turn with someone else already in the intersection, and the car stopped her. Like, I understand it's a useful feature, but every commercial is actively inattentive drivers rather than avoiding mistakes of other drivers.

The one (arguable) exception to this that I've seen is one of the really early ones for a Merc or Infiniti or something that was touting the virtues of its blind-spot checking.

Now if only more people would teach their kids how to set up the mirrors so that there is no blind spot, but that's another rant/thread, I suppose.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Sash! posted:

I fanatically obey traffic laws. I am literally the only person in America that does so, I think. I use my turn signal to change lanes in the middle of the night with no other cars in sight!

I think that makes exactly two of us. Actually had an interesting stand-off with a cop last night who was first at the a four-way-stop intersection to have stoped but wanted me to go first. I waited him out (and there was no traffic behind me to get annoyed at this).

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
So I guess either CBS or the NFL was demanding too much money this year, what with so much Superb Owl ad time ending up being ads for watching the Superb Owl. Though I guess with games as lopsided as this one, they might have to start advertising.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Y-Hat posted:

I thought the whole campaign started with Norm. So they're switching it up while each actor says that they're the "real Colonel Sanders?" That makes sense. Pretty clever.

They're just setting up for the Sanders Bowl ad in a few years. Mark my words.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Eventually Col. Sanders is gonna be played by Bernie Sanders, calling it now

Thank you for the mental image of Colonel Sanders hollering "For many years, the majority of our reserves of secret herbs and spices have gone to the top one percent! This is unacceptable!"

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

McSpanky posted:

Ahahaha, I have to know the context behind that "nailing a window" gif. There's got to be a better way!

I watched that like ten times wondering "even if the mentally incontinent nutter from Informercial Land didn't just whap the window with the hammer, what was supposed to be the goal here?"

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
On one hand, the new Verizon prepaid ad which largely consists of a totally timely and relevant and not at all lovely rewrite of "Milkshake" (or whatever it's called) makes me want to break things.

On the other hand, Sprint's new ad campaign is reminding me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnqJaSatN3M, which even after all this time and its potato quality, still makes me chuckle a bit.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gaunab posted:

People who were young that song when it first came out are now in positions of power.

They're finally old enough to give ironic answers in focus groups?

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have a specific ad to call out as detestable, but I have been finding some solace in deliberately seeing the unintentional messaging buried in ads.

The easy ones are the ilk of current Diet Coke ads where suddenly the surroundings are transmogrified into a musical wonderland. Or, alternatively, "Diet Coke is laced with LSD".

The aforementioned "Milky Way candy bars turn people into assholes".

"Subaru does not make cars that are good at stopping".

"Discover's CSRs are all incompetent idiots who get nothing done".

"If you can afford to live in New York City, you might be able to afford Liberty Mutual auto insurance".

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

dirksteadfast posted:

I know it's radio and I don't know if it's already been mentioned here. But good God, the Verizon Wireless ad that uses "Milkshake" is the most annoying thing I have ever heard and it goes on forever. I'll switch stations and wait, thinking "Surely it's done by now." It is not, and it is a plight upon humanity.

It wasn't just radio. *shudder*

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

How about taking a cancer drug that just helps you live longer but has the side effect of maybe killing you, even if you've stopped taking it.

I have this game I play with advertised medications and the like. If the litany of possible side effects and warnings is longer than the rest of the commercial, I "win".

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gaunab posted:

I'm not sure why Burger King is using douchebags to try and sell their burgers.

I don't know who is worse - the dudes who figured out how to spend ten bucks on bottom-tier fast food in one sitting, or the V/O smarm.

:v: Someone's going to get fired.
:smug: Fired and flame grilled

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Uber, the service that's so awful to the providers of the service that they don't advertise for the service anymore, but try to con people into providing the service itself. "Hustle", indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That loving shampoo with the ads that does a lovely job apeing the opening title sequence for Fringe. You're not ruining that show for me, assholes.