Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's a certain irony in having the dude that plays Barry Zuckerkorn trying to sell a mortgage scam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhhGparW6KQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tardcore posted:

I really like the new Little Caesars ad they've been showing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzv1KYjXHrI

Honk honk :v:

As my friend put it: "That was incredibly stupid, but I'm not going to forget it."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nerdfest X posted:

I can't stand any commercial where the actor uses some long name, a prefix or suffix that no one in the real world uses when ordering a product. Nobody orders a "premium roasted coffee", nobody gives a gently caress what "premium roasted" means, and if they do they are not going to McDonalds for it. Same goes for "Ice Cold Coca Cola" and "triple thick shake". No one uses these terms except actors in your commercials, so just loving stop already.

I dunno, I sometimes say "Mushroom and Swiss Angus Burger" but that's because I feel kind of like an rear end if I just say "number 11 meal" or whatever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I can't believe how many low-testosterone commercials I've seen. :suicide:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sash! posted:

It doesn't even make sense to me as a Catholic.

There's only about 67 million of us in the US. Easily half don't care enough to bother with the fish thing. So you've got 35 million people that have to figure out where to get 16 meals (lunch and dinner on Ash Wednesday and seven Fridays) that can't have meat. Literally any American already knows the McFish exists anyhow. Of those..560 million meals eaten by those people, how many does you figure are going to be at McDonalds? Probably not enough to justify the ad campaign.

Or I could be horribly wrong and McDonald's, one of the most successful companies in history, has better data than I do.

For the record, the last time I had McDonalds, or any fast food, on a Lenten Friday was in 1995. Not sure why I remember that day so vividly, but I do.

Fish is also supposed to be "healthy" so it also pushes to those people who are dumb enough to believe it while being lazy enough to not just buy their own fish.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vicas posted:

The biggest problem I have with them is that the message is pretty blatantly "only a child would be stupid and shortsighted enough to use AT&T."

No, it's "even a child gets that our poo poo is better you loving moron, go buy our phones".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQDRfG16g8A

I hate my cable company. :suicide:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I have been trying to wrap my brain around those Velveeta "eat like that guy you know" commercials. Are they supposed to be tongue in cheek, or is the company seriously advertising their product as allowing you to "eat like a limo driver or someone who works the helicopter kiosk at the mall."

They're meant to get you talking about them, so you remember Velveeta and the next time you want a snack you think of Velveeta. They're working great.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Magnatux posted:

I wonder why anybody should buy stuff from companies that think:

We are all clumsy, clueless, narcissistic, lazy assholes with no ability to learn or otherwise hold on to knowledge

For everything not directly relating to something that interests me (but that I have to do) this is basically me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kimmalah posted:

Well you see, God helps those who help themselves...by forking over tons of cash to various people. Not charities though, He hates charity.

It's literally the moneychangers part of the New Testament, which is funny as hell.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tupping Liberty posted:

Yeah, now that they can't do it on TV I have noticed they're really ramping up the volume on internet ads.

Has that been put into place? I notice my local NBC station the volume varies wildly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrBouvenstein posted:

That drat 1800 tequila commercial where it "pours you a shot" is back, and it still makes no sense.

If you pour the shot into the cap while the cap is still on by turning the bottle upside down, how the gently caress do you take the cap off without either:

1) Righting the bottle back up, and having the shot pour out of the cap back into the bottle

or 2) Having tequila pour onto the bar because you didn't tip the bottle back up because you're a dumbass and wanted that cap-shot?

Also, even if you do it the way it would work and pour the tequila into the cap to get a shot, that's nasty, don't put your mouth on the cap that goes back on the bottle. I don't care that the alcohol will likely kill any germs, it's just gross on principle to put your mouth on things other people might drink.

Maybe it's one of those squeeze bottles?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SubponticatePoster posted:

If the Republicans would properly fund public broadcasting like pretty much every other civilized nation they wouldn't have to beg for pocket change twice a month :argh:

They'd just do it anyway because hey free money and a culture of giving.

I remember they're playing ads now about how people are so happy with PBS that they put them in their will, which is only a little creepy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sagebrush posted:

Prescription pharmaceutical advertising should be outlawed.

It was until 1998.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Chuck E. Cheese is a little too animated now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cI3DAhVb5w

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm still bemused by their strategy of naming ALL their products "Galaxy". I mean, they've got "Galaxy S" and "Galaxy Tablet" and whatever so I guess you use that, but then what is the point?

It really strikes me as an idea somebody high up had and won't let go of even if it doesn't help them at all.

It's a brand, some people ask for "the latest Galaxy phone" every two years whenever they upgrade.

I remember people being asked about phone operating systems and aside from Apple the most popular options were "Droid", "Android", and "HTC".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mokinokaro posted:

It also helps that they release a ridiculously high number of models and have a new phone out at least every six months.

Last year they actually had 30 different models of phone released.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bull3964 posted:

It actually isn't just the pure number of models or components. The SGS3 specifically (that one model) has been the #1 selling smartphone and the SGS4 is on pace to beat it by a decent margin.

That was for the quarter before the iPhone 5 launched specifically.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wagonburner posted:

Has there ever been a TV commercial before for a hard drive or any kind of internal PC component?

You'd think Samsung would want to spend that time and money on ads for their laptops with the ssd drive already in them.

edit: How many people would actually take the time to upgrade an old laptop vs. run up a bit of debt and get something shiny and new? I would, I'm a PC tech, we do that kind of stuff anyway without needing a commercial to tell us this is available so myself and my co-worker probably don't count. I have a friend who's a mortgage guy but a fairly high level pc hobbyist who would, he's the only person I know of at all who this 6x-long commercial might have a demographic in.

I've seen ads for motherboards before. Hell I've seen ads for Qualcom chips and you can't even buy those outside of a factory.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Choco1980 posted:

There's always a fad food trend that everything has to have, yet isn't exactly hard to utilize. I recall a few years back when suddenly mango was everywhere, which pissed me off because I can't have mangoes due to a medicinal interaction, so like every new food was something I certainly couldn't have. Pretzel bread is just the current one. Which actually saddens me because that means it will go away. Pretzel bread is tasty yo.

Starting in a week or two thats going to be chicken wings (McDonald's is releasing the McWing or something like that) so that'll be an interesting fad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Choco1980 posted:

I swear the food trends have been declining in exoticness to the US as well. Sure, for a while we had stuff like Acai berry that most people in the US had never heard of, let alone tasted, but now we just have like, different bread and stuff you find in the produce aisle. Watch, eventually it's going to be something super simple like apples or something treated as the hot new flavor.

Considering that Greek Yogurt/Hummus/et all is less a food trend than an actual regular part of people's diet that might be technically true but not in the way you mean.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of weird food trends, looks like Burger King just upped the stakes, introducing a burger with french fries on it.

I got a giftcard in the mail for a pizza burger from Boston's.

Slight sidenote, but if you ever want to see sperging about fast food this site is pretty good.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

muscles like this? posted:

Haven't cell phones been required to be 911 compliant for years now?

Yes, but they have some bullshit reasoning, see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwsjHpD9cLg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvKKtBQfUos

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gonz posted:

Death to Subway and Quiznos.

Schlotzsky's Deli forever.

Their sandwiches are okay but their meat is very weird.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

piratepilates posted:

But they also sell a full on Windows 8 tablet that actually runs full Windows, which they don't bother to really distinguish from their fake-Windows tablets.
And it also costs $800 but they'll only compare the cheapest RT (non-real Windows) tablet to the iPad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mahoning posted:

Insinuating that the Windows tablet comes with a keyboard (it doesn't) and/or the iPad isn't able to use a keyboard (it is).

I mean, when you flat out compare two products on the screen but give YOUR product an extra accessory that's sold separately, it's pretty drat misleading.

That and the keyboard in question costs $100.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
And now time for some unintentional racism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVv9HIP0jLQ

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

They have these for virtually every demographic now (thanks, ChristianMingle!).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McSpanky posted:

The day that the number sign becomes formally recognized as "hashtag" in the US, I'll see myself off the planet.

Yes, this is :corsair: as gently caress, #getoffmylawn

To be fair, it's better than calling it the pound sign.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
On the other hand, Twitter has been an incredible revolution in sports hilarity.

Eg: http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/10/26/5033272/twitter-mentions-missouri-kicker-andrew-baggett

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shawn posted:

Anyone else see the new Thor 2 commercial with Loki talking to the kids like the guy from the AT&T commercial? I didn't just hallucinate that did I?

It seems you are not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIhR5eObvmo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FuzzySkinner posted:

There's some Kay Jewler's ad that makes me laugh for unknown reason.

It features an older african american couple sitting around while they're watching kids (presumably grandchildren) open up gifts.

"KIDS THESE DAYS! EVERY TOY NEEDS A BATTERY".

and then cuts to some african american couple with the husband/fiance/boyfriend giving a gift to his wife/fiance/girlfriend., as the older couple goes :allears:

The delivery of that line is just hilariously stupid. You're spending time with your family during a holiday, and the one thought you have is being a cranky rear end in a top hat about how you hate your drat grand kids.

Also, "Toys needing batteries" has been a thing since..I don't know..THE 70's?

I like the one with the mistletoe salesman that looks like Steve Ballmer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There appears to be a fad of "I want shiny thing, let me destroy my old thing to get it" ads. e.g.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1RtRDjecxk

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

eminkey2003 posted:

Also, what's up with Chinese (?) Walmart ads on Youtube?

I don't know if this is what you mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVxN65p0Aso

But I like how this one is basically the same ad as in the US, complete with "Back in Black" for the soundtrack.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

reagan posted:

My university switched to Office 365, and I'm sure they aren't the only ones to do so.

But I can't believe just how stupid it sounds. A monthly/yearly fee for Office? What the hell is this poo poo?

As for commercials: gently caress that K-Mart ad for all eternity. Holy poo poo that thing pisses me off.

Office365 is actually pretty tame as far as online services go. Go look up Adobe Creative Cloud for some real lovely service prices.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The most likely scenario would be something similar to HP spinning off their medical devices into a separate company, although hopefully Microsoft isn't dumb enough to do that since their equivalent to that part of the company is basically the Office Team.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Meltathon posted:

Pretty much every "buy our product and we'll give money to [charity name here]" is a shameless cash grab. Remember all the [red] stuff from a few years back? If I remember right, that was actually worse for AIDS fundraising.

And all the NFL stuff:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mister Kingdom posted:

How much do they gently caress you over with those deals anyway?

Usually the way settlements work is that you're paid $X per month for however long (say 5 years).

What they'll do is talk to the company, and have them give you $Y which might be greater than $X but they only have to pay it once.

Then they probably skim 10% off so you may or may not actually get more than you were getting in a single month.

e: based on this an example might be "Get $500/month for the next 35 years" or "Get $50,000 now, minus 10%".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Meltathon posted:

Are chocolate diamonds just trying to market really lovely diamonds?

Put it this way - a decade ago they would be considered lovely diamonds, but other than color there's not really a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Diamonds are good for cutting tools and drillbits but that's about it imo.

Diamonds are pretty but so's lots of other stuff.

If you want to give someone a pretty looking gem that's cheap nowadays you can just do Lapis Lazuli. It's even considered historically a rare gem on the level of sapphires so it's not like you're going cubic zirconium on your significant other.