Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Carnival Cruises used the Iggy Pop song "Lust for Life" in their commercials for several years, and I think used the only lines in the song that aren't directly about drinking and getting high. I guess that's not entirely inappropriate for people going on cruises, though.

GMC is using the song "Two Story House" while showing a house for a family being built. Give me a loving break. Its like no one knows how Google works to look poo poo up. A song about a failed marriage from one of the most famous domestic abuse cases in the country? Cool. Where do we sign up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Robnoxious posted:

I'm numb to those Ford ads. The ginger neckbeard in the wheat field plugging NFL Network games and NFL.com is currently the frontrunner for most irritating as hell ads of the football season and it's only week 2.

I know people bitch about the low budget local ads being bad, and they are, but I can understand how that happens. To have a MAJOR media property run ads like this is mind boggling. They are really some of the worst ads I've ever seen.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Pyroclastic posted:

I was watching the Iron Man movies instead of the Superbowl, but I was flipping back and forth. One superbowl commercial caught my attention for its sheer terribleness. It was a Dodge Ram commercial that was basically fellating farmers. It just kept going and going about how amazing and manly and religious and important and badass and American farmers were.
Just awful.

What kind of car do you drive? If you said a Prius, Civic, I ride a bicycle, Volvo, I ride the bus, or anything other than a US made truck, well then you'll probably not get the ad. That's OK because they really don't give a poo poo about catering to you, since you're not going to buy a Ram anyway. But the kind of people in the market for a truck who may consider a Ram are the kind of people who like the ad. Chrysler has been killing it the past few years and they've been putting out really good marketing materials and TV spots since the Eminem ad 2 years ago. They really refocused their attention and are catering only to likely customers instead of trying to convert die hard fans of the alternatives.

BigBoss fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 10, 2013

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Sash! posted:

They're responsible for the VW Unpimp the Auto commercial, so they're not all bad.

CP+B is like the Maxim magazine of agencies. They seemed really awesome and relevant in 2000 but have since become stale. They're that one 26 year old bro at a high school party.

The new Fiat 500L "Italians Are Coming" spot is awesome though.
http://youtu.be/hbRKAVZBlRc

The shot they take at the Tea Party was pretty funny, especially since the Tea Party A)wanted Chrysler (now part of Fiat) to go bankrupt and B) the Tea Party -Jeep factory moving China because of Obama- incident from 2012.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Arschlochkind posted:

That's kind of a reach. I mean, to me it's just a riff on the actual Boston Tea Party.

The kind of people that would consider a small Italian car are probably not the kind of people that would join, or even look favorably upon, the political Tea Party.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Cottonelle has been trying for the better part of a year now to make a "thing" out of the complex process of wiping your rear end then following up with a baby wipe. I can't imagine what they intend to accomplish other than selling baby wipes to adults.

Because a surprising amount of people, especially men, wet the toilet paper before wiping.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Iron Crowned posted:

My mom really loves this commcercial, I saw it a couple times when I visited. Every time when it was over "that is a good commercial."

I guess it works for people who really really want grandchildren?

Some of Apple's most potentially valuable and growing segments are Baby Boomers and older crowd. So in effect, yes.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Vicas posted:

The Super Bowl commercials were both boring and forgettable this year

Like I can't even remember one to hate it, I just remember too many CGI explosions and too much smug self awareness

They were really loving bad. It didn't help that the game was basically a snuff film, but this is supposed to be the best opportunity you have to pitch your poo poo to a hundred million people and instead we got cow sex, the same tired Clydesdale schmaltz, Morpheus singing, the guy from Big Bang that no one really likes, and the re-animated corpse of Bob Dylan.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

bean_shadow posted:

"Full House" was not funny back in the 90's and it's not funny now. It's going to be really irritating when the gang from "Big Bang Theory" (or some similar crappy sitcom) get together for a commercial in 20 years and people lose their poo poo over it.

Yeah, but the women in their 30's who are buying Greek yogurt now were 10 when Full House was on, so it makes sense.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

I'm strongly considering moving to Georgia and getting injured just hire him.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Don't forget Butterfinger cucking. :barf:

What about the "Welcome Home" Bud spot? I was sitting next to an Iraq vet when that played and they were legit pissed at the BS jingoism masturbation-fest.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

SporkOfTruth posted:

e: I guess what I'm saying is gently caress you, Apple.

This is probably the biggest thing to happen to the Pixies in 15 years.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Mahoning posted:

There's this awful radio ad that apparently is trying promote eating healthy for kids. What a wonderful idea. Except that it features some terrible hip hop jingle that was apparently written by some old white guy that still thinks rap sounds like it did 25 years ago. Not only that, but it airs on an AM radio station that no person under the age of 25 would listen to.

I just want to gently caress with your head for a second and let you know Straight Outta Compton came out 26 years ago.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

LeJackal posted:

What pisses me off about those is when hamster-dad squeals out "You can't mash two words together like that!" because you loving can and when you do its called a portmanteau! Like smog is smoke+fog and motel is motor+hotel, this poo poo is pretty well settled linguistically as a source for new words.
That campaign should be a career killer for the people who made it and the people who greenlit it.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Meltathon posted:

Well they don't really win because despite Bud owning some craft breweries, there are way way way more that they don't own. Craft beer sales as a total, just passed Budweiser not too long ago. Bud's problem is that the people who like to drink Bud are old and getting older, and so they're going to continue to lose market share unless they attract a younger crowd, which they won't with this ad because it insults that exact crowd.

I drink plenty of craft beer, but I also drink plenty of macro-brew beer when I want to drink something either cheap or light. Lots of people who drink craft beer do the same thing. To me this ad just says to me to never ever drink Bud, even if I want something cheap, which is why it's a bad ad.

The kind of people who got insulted are the kind of people who wouldn't consider Bud often anyway, so its no big loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but I've never been to a McDonald's that isn't clean, pleasantly decorated, and smelling of french fries. I still avoid the place, because they sell food that tastes bad and is so bad for you it's about two steps ahead of literal poison.

There is a certain segment of the population that is absolutely pointless to market to. You fit into that segment. Trying to get you into McDonalds is a waste of time. McDonalds shouldn't bother trying to convert people who think their food is two steps ahead of poison. They need to focus on people who consider McDonalds to be OK.