Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Is there some kind of rule that Black Friday commercials have to be terrible? Target is driving me insane this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f66exGdj4bs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAiE4KvioEs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYxHjdFWgAI

Edit: drat, too late. But there are more.

Parasol Prophet fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I am disheartened that that "Happier than Eddie Money running a travel agency" Geico commercial is still on. It's not so much the song (although I hate that song), it's the two people persistently trying to remind him of what they really wanted, as if they don't recognize that he's singing a song.

:v: I've got, two tickets to pawadise, pack your bags, we'll leave tonight--
:geno: Um, actually it's next month.
:v: --Two tickets to pawadiiiise!
:geno: No, four.

Either he's joking with you or he's too far gone and has no idea where he is! All five of you shut up and go away!

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
There's a Digiorno pizza commercial on that I can't stand, because it contains this line:

"Now the shortest distance between you and a fresh-baked pizza is your oven."

It could've been ".. is from your refrigerator to your oven" or ".. is the length of your kitchen" or ".. is no distance at all" or anything else. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but it bugs me. Your oven is not a distance.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I feel like a bad person for thinking it, but I can't stand the lady in the Chico's clothing store commercials. She's the one with short hair in the most recent spot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IlGQGVr4A0

I don't even know why. I'm sure she's probably a nice person in real life. I think maybe because her expression only seems to alternate between smugness and manic glee. Or I just don't like her "Oh, how fun and youthful am I!" dancing. The other woman in that spot isn't as bad to me, maybe because she hasn't been doing the same thing in Chico's commercials since the dawn of time. Because every Chico's commercial is like that, with that same woman dancing around in front of a minimal set/backdrop looking just so drat pleased to be wearing super-slimming jeans or something.

And there's a part of me that feels shame for devoting this much time and thought to Chico's commercials.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Speaking of seeing commercials over and over again, that McDonald's commercial with the guy in a studio getting distracted by people eating breakfast nearby. This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYcTY7WUiLg . But the version I've seen (which I can't find online) is trimmed down for maximum irritation to just this exchange:

"What about love, bacon all and leave me muffin--"
"Austin, you just said bacon and muffin."
"I can biscuit! I mean fix it!"
[V/O: Get a Sausage McMuffin value meal! Etc. etc.]
"Ba da ba ba ba~"

Austin Mahone must be some hip new pop star they're trying to promote, but if that's the case I don't know if it's working because literally the only place I've ever ever seen or heard his name is in this commercial. It used to play twice in a row (or with one other ad in between, separating the repeats), but that hasn't happened in a while-- so that's nice, I guess. Now it's just down to once every other break.

Still, even on regular TV I think this one's been playing all the drat time for what feels like a year. Why this commercial? Is this Austin person actually really popular? I don't understand!

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Is the target audience for Ancestry.com really people half-watching reruns of poo poo on Comedy Central while they get ready for work in the morning?

Well, Proactiv, X-Out, and Murad all seem to think that their target audience is people half-watching crappy movies on Comedy Central when they should be at work/school. Maybe the hip-yet-acne-ridden 18-35 demographic who are currently home sick also happen to start the day interested in their genealogy?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTc0Zr41LD0

This Honey Nut Cheerios commercial is the bane of my existence right now, not because of the song (which is bad) but this face the bee makes at the end, just before he breaks into a smile-- it just looks so weird for a cereal mascot to me. It's just a split second so I couldn't be sure he wasn't outright glaring at us for some reason.

I mean, look at this bee.

I don't like that bee.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Gaunab posted:

Miracle Whip is sticking to the idea that they're mayo alternative is for "badasses" with these strange commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gnf_NEliYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Won8Lx-hVrU

I like the what the gently caress are you doing look everyone has when the dishes are walked in.

Why on earth would you put Miracle Whip in artichoke dip? That sounds horrible.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

PT6A posted:

Now that Apple's playing that godawful exercise-app commercial with that lovely loving song, I want all y'all to admit that "Gigantic" was actually pretty good.

The only redeeming quality of the "Gigantic" campaign was that at least that's a relatively decent song to have playing over and over in your head for the entire workday.

Not so with this chicken fat nonsense. Not at all.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I know it's already been mentioned, but goddrat Apple, why do you keep discontinuing commercials I hate only to replace them with another commercial I hate? :argh: This has happened twice now.

I am so sick of having their stupid hipstery/musical/whatever songs stuck in my head all day. Because it's always a stupid hipstery/musical/whatever song that gets stuck in my head all day. When will it end?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I fully believe I got the brand wrong because I try to pay as little attention to them as possible once they come on. I think it looks like they're only using iPhones in each one, so that's probably where the confusion lies for me.

Also, now I just think it's funny that Apple's marketing team has established itself in my mind such that my first thought is "Annoying indie/obscure song and cutesy 'living your life of dreams' message? Must be Apple."

Of course, the other side of that coin is "Smug phone feature comparison? Must be Samsung."

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Last holiday season I was at an office job where the mandatory radio station was all-Christmas-all-the-time from December 1st to January 1st. About halfway through the month I started up a tally of how many different versions of each carol they played. Per day. 'Frosty the Snowman' was usually the winner (averaging 7-8 times), with 'Let it Snow' a close second. People freaking love to sing Let it Snow, apparently.

The first Christmas ad I saw this year was for K-Mart, which is kind of sad since our K-Mart is scheduled to close sometime in December. Everyone working there found out they were losing their job two months before Christmas.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Maxwell Lord posted:

So an ad for some medication starts with "I've had it up to here with my moderate to severe lower back psoriasis" and later has "and now I can be clearer for longer than days, weeks, or months."

If you're trying to frame something as a personal testimony you should probably figure out what the specifics are. I get that you have to impart a lot of specific things but it sounds like your spokesperson doesn't know what she has.

I love when they frame it as a bunch of friends or relatives talking casually to each other about their medical conditions, but still have to word it in the government-approved way. So there's one lady using the entire phrase "my moderate-to-severe chronic plaque psoriasis" multiple times while out for drinks with the gals. Because that's something humans do!

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Maybe they should actually pay their workers before trying to convince everybody how much they care about the community.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

PaganGoatPants posted:

They gave them a budget (without rent/mortgage in it). What more do you want?

The budget did have rent! (Also an assumed second job, and health insurance that costs $20 a month)

What it didn't include was heating.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I figured that was a given.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
What kind of self-respecting dystopia builds their ideology around breakfast?

This is the worst YA novel ever!

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I was seriously unaware that the word 'Pizza' was still in their official name-- I thought that was dropped as part of their whole "We don't suck anymore!" campaign a few years ago.

Everybody I know just says Domino's too.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I don't know when this happened, or if it's been posted yet, but I really don't like what they did to the Carfax fox. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOZD0qe1pVs

I think it's the eyes.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

TontoCorazon posted:

The fact that they made him a furry's wet dream have anything to do with it?

I thought furries all gave their characters massive cartoon eyes with like rainbow eyelashes and stuff, not tiny beady human eyes that rolled out of the Uncanny Valley and into the face of a possessed stuffed animal.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Kawalimus posted:

This one I keep seeing now is a car commercial some stupid family singing "Buddy Holly" by the band Weezer. I've seen three iterations of this sort of commercial and every one of them is completely cringeworthy. The other two were families singing "Sweet child of mine" and "Crazy Train".

The part that grates on me from that one is how everyone in the family perfectly enunciates the "WHOO HOO" every time it comes up.

No one sings that way!

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
"X needs Y-ed" is definitely Midwestern, and confused the hell out of me when I first moved here from the Southwest.

And the correct alternative is not "X needs Y-ing," it's "X needs TO BE Y-ed".

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
And that he is the most insufferable person at that party.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKFgyI9M27E

~*~Oh my God not this again~*~
~*~Peyton Manning, go away~*~
~*~Stop it, for the love of Christ~*~
~*~Now I want to kill myself~*~

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's great to imagine him singing horrible things to that tune, as Jason Concepcion pointed out on Twitter.

~*~Hitler had some good ideas~*~

Okay, you may have just fixed the commercial for me. I can't thank you enough.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Mister Kingdom posted:

The worst one in that series is the little girl with the thick glasses and raggedy teeth lisping her way through the song.

I hate that little girl's voice so much. Who said "Yeah, let's get the kid with the piercingly highest, squeakiest voice we can find and have them sing two verses of this song for the whole length of the commercial."

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Ladies, do you wish you were living in the 18th century? Do you like having your guts crammed together?

You can enjoy all the pain with Miss Belt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22X5_flsKgQ

Ah yes, the completely natural look of having your body swerve sharply inward right under the ribcage, and also those lumpy velcro flaps sticking out from under your shirt. Just like women have naturally!

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
What types of clothing have this problem? My work uniform (not officially, I'm just really boring) is slacks, some top and a cardigan, and I've encountered no/useless pockets at a rate waaay lower than all the complaints I've heard about it would suggest I should be. Dresses and skirts I understand the fuss about because they never have pockets, but as far as regular pants and jeans go all mine have pretty serviceable pockets. I can even put my phone and keys in them with no trouble.

Do other women want to carry way more stuff on their person, or have I just gotten lucky with my preferred brand, or what? Not denying it's a reality or anything, I'm genuinely curious if I've been blinded to the problem by either luck or circumstance.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I hate those Trans Union "Getting to Know You" ads.

Especially this:

Because all pickpockets take the time to admire their handy work.

I hate those commercials too (stop getting that loving song stuck in my head!), but at least one was made slightly better after someone pointed out that it made no sense.

There's one that follows a lady around as a bunch of people try to steal her identity. But the VERY first thing that happens to her is one of the identity thieves switches out her bag at a coffee shop. So now:

1) Whatever was in that bag is already gone no matter what, and
2) If anyone's poo poo is getting hacked into by the other thieves, it's not hers.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Corny Cornflake posted:

What is with Panera going on and on about how clean their food is? Did they have a E Coli scare alongside Chipotle?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds this strange. You just shouldn't have to tell people your food is clean. When I go in, I expect it to already be that way.

It's like running a whole campaign to advertise that your food is edible. Why do that? It's suspicious, not reassuring.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Vanderdeath posted:

Monae seems to be getting into acting more and more lately. If she goes into acting full-time that'll be a shame because I really liked her trilogy of albums. She's also from the same crappy area of the country I'm from and it's nice seeing anyone, much less a black lady, make it outta that crapsack and do well for themselves.

I remember reading someone a while back say that she is basically really ambitious and wants to do everything (acting/singing/I think even writing something based on her trilogy?), but unlike a lot of people she actually has the talent and commitment to back it up. I don't think she's abandoning music, just juggling a bunch of projects and getting her name out there. I love Janelle Monae.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I didn't realize the dilly-dilly thing was a Budweiser thing, I just know there's a local radio station that used it this year in a seasonal bumper that also included the phrase "I'm so happy I could shart in my Christmas pants!" *fart noise* ("Dilly dilly!")

And I hate that ad, so I now also hate the Budweiser ad by extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
There's a Party City (I think) ad that autoplays on YouTube that's literally just a screamer, and I wish it to go away.