Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The only thing funny about this one:

Is the way she poorly acts slipping on the stairs. Just last month the same thing happened to me. Wrenched my already arthritic knee, and could barely walk for at least a day. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lately? Clearly you haven't watch much daytime television in oh, five years. There are only three types of commercials that run during all that crap--Class action lawsuits, bankruptcy attorneys, and adult education career colleges. They know EXACTLY who's watching at that time slot.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

When I lived in Northern California for a little bit, I was delighted to see that she was still advertising there on that side of the country, only in Spanish.
"Yo Soy Ronnie Deutch!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Cup of Hemlock posted:

I did the same double-take and still do. Who the hell wrote that?

Car fuckers.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

MindlessHavok posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I03UmJbK0lA

New K-Mart ad. I'm a child and was giggling like one through the whole thing.

my faith in humanity is renewed.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Right up there with the recent line of Centrum multi-vitamin commercials. They spend the whole ad extolling how recently big time scientists did a study on the long term effect of multi-vitamins, and guess what? They used Centrum in the study! Of course, there's absolutely zero information in the ads about what the study found, but at least they used Centrum! :toot:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

Oh wow, the fact that there is a mixed race couple in the ad never registered for me until now.
I wonder if General Mills is being intentionally socially forward with that ad or if they are as surprised as I am that apparently there are thriving communities of time travelers from the pre-civil war era out there. :psyduck:

Actually, I'm guessing socially forward. Last summer, at the same time that Chick-fil-a was raising a huff against gay marriage, Big G got protested for supporting it, and having their employees' same sex partners receive benefits. In response, the employees went out to the protesters and offered them ice tea and water with lemon wedges. They'd have given them cookies, but the protesters were making "dumping" piles of their products, and the cookies would have gone there too.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

kittenmittons posted:

That stupid ad for some heart medication where there's an old guy driving and the GPS says go left at a fork in the road and the guy says, "I don't think so." :smug:

THEN WHY ARE YOU EVEN USING THE GPS, rear end in a top hat?!!!

heh, apparently that man is my GF's father. One year he told his kids he wanted a GPS. Both of them looked at each other in confusion, as this was a man that never asked for directions. He then elaborated that he wanted one so he could have someone to argue with in the car.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Nerdfest X posted:

Back in my day (3-4 years ago) we couldn't move our 64 inch plasma screen TV from room to room all willy-nilly, because that's totally a thing that I do like 17 times a day. You kids don't know how good you got it.

You are twelve loving years old. There is no "back in your day" you smug little brat. gently caress you and gently caress your parents for raising a self-centered douche with an unwarranted entitlement superiority complex.

Yeah, well back in MY day, we DID watch tv in whatever room we wanted. Because we used rabbit ears. Instead of expensive cable service. And the tvs were small enough to carry. And were black and white. And required pliers to change the vhf dial. And we liked it! Now get off my lawn! :corsair:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

As a parent, I find myself watching too much children's programming these days. Every frickin commercial break on Cartoon Network features this commercial for "Laser Pegs":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE8tMTdPH_M

The girl they got to sing and announce on the commercial is so dreadful that I can only assume she's the daughter of the commercial's director or something.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Redeye Flight posted:

Someone once told me "Pocketwatches have come back into style. The difference is, now they can play Angry Birds."

Yeah, I saw that commercial the other day, and this was honestly my train of thought: "You know, I don't wear a wrist watch anymore (long story) I bet I'd actually use a pocket watch if I had--oh wait, I have my phone already in my pocket."

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

computer parts posted:

Chuck E. Cheese is a little too animated now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cI3DAhVb5w

During his stay here this summer, my son complained that the redesign wasn't as good as the version that's still on their signs usually. Even six year olds know your redesign sucks.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

It was the same in the US.

T-Mobile had the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant
Verizon had the Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate
AT&T had the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
Sprint has the Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G

The Sprint one was the blacksheep of the family. In addition to being the only one that had "4G" (but since it was WiMAX, who cared?), it also had a slide-out keyboard, an LED flash, LED notification light, and front-camera.

Samsung's naming convention really got out of control with the Galaxy S2...Sprint's phone's full official name was, IIRC, the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch on Sprint...or something.

For the past year and a half, I've been using a Samsung Captivate Glide, which is basically a Galaxy S 2 with 4G, a front camera, and a pull out keyboard (the latter feature being why I got it). Yeah, Samsung's ridiculous.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

As someone with dialysis experience, I assure you there is no not-insane part of that ad. At-home dialysis usually doesn't resemble clinic dialysis in the least. Also, flash fact: most dialysis patients, due to all the weird crap it does to you, are incapable of "weeing water".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

Last night watching USA there were a couple of really horrible pro-milk commercials that they played every break. Now they're trying to pimp the fact that milk has protean in it for some reason. The stupid part was how they kept on comparing milk to things that were completely different. Like milk vs an omelet in travel capacity or milk in cereal vs orange juice in the cereal.

Oh god yeah, I saw those the other day. The omelette one is especially bad. Let's grossly stuff a loaded omelette as carelessly as we can into a travel mug, and when you see that, OBVIOUSLY you'll think Milk is the best source of protein.

And in good ad talk, am I alone in that I don't care that that guy interviewing kids is hocking ATT, I just want to see more of them?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

There's always a fad food trend that everything has to have, yet isn't exactly hard to utilize. I recall a few years back when suddenly mango was everywhere, which pissed me off because I can't have mangoes due to a medicinal interaction, so like every new food was something I certainly couldn't have. Pretzel bread is just the current one. Which actually saddens me because that means it will go away. Pretzel bread is tasty yo.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I swear the food trends have been declining in exoticness to the US as well. Sure, for a while we had stuff like Acai berry that most people in the US had never heard of, let alone tasted, but now we just have like, different bread and stuff you find in the produce aisle. Watch, eventually it's going to be something super simple like apples or something treated as the hot new flavor.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I want to be mad at that ad, because zombies have become about the most over-done thing today, but that actor at the very end gives pretty much a pitch perfect impression of the "Bub" look of Sherman Howard in Day of the Dead, that countless replicas have failed to do.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81303587/

Not a terrible ad per say..but everytime I see it, I can't stop laughing. Just mainly due to the most dead-on satire of a commercial I've ever seen via Saturday Night Live, Sam Watterson and Old Glory Insurance.

As a senior citizen, you're probably aware of the threat robots pose. Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel.

Aww fooey, it cut out the best part at the end. A little toy robot comes walking in on the group of ladies, and one picks it up laughing...
"Oh...this one was a NICE robot....THIS TIME!!"
Freeze frame on her worried face.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Sash! posted:

Jimmy John's cornerstones are basic sandwiches, a goofy sense of humor, and delivery drives that are blazed out of their minds.

If you order Jimmy John's and the delivery does not arrive in 1984 Honda Accord with body panels from at least two other Accords and leaving a Cheech and Chong-like contrail of weed smoke, it may not be an actual Jimmy John's delivery driver and you should act with caution.

This man tells the truth. Also, the secret to their speed is that they're basically subway without the customization complexity. They're all pretty much just one kind of coldcut or the other, so it takes like two minutes to get your food out the door. You want your food cooked? Go someplace else, jackass.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Nope. I guess the closest we get is this little number

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyWpC3144AU

I wonder though, how much money do the pistachio people have to be able to afford all the recognizable celebrities and intellectual properties they also use for little 20 second ads? Because there's a shitton of them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYEFwA443d0

FOUND IT.

I just want someone to edit this. It reminds me of the old Patton Oswalt bit about Stella D'Oro Breakfast treats for some reason:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-oxsMl3iCA

Here's the commercial that Oswalt's bit is about.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Not on TV, but around this neck of the woods, the butter council of all people have started putting up billboards, telling you to "GO BOLD WITH BUTTER!" and showing like, baked goods and stuff. I don't even know.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

computer parts posted:

There appears to be a fad of "I want shiny thing, let me destroy my old thing to get it" ads. e.g.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1RtRDjecxk

What's going on with the guy with the microwave at the end? Is he wearing a dress and pearls over his sweater or am I seeing things??

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Kaizoku posted:

Okay, but USPS ads? There isn't a corresponding way to send letters anymore (at a reasonable price, at least), now that the US no longer has any private telegram services.

You can send letters via FedEx and UPS, but not many people do...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Kaizoku posted:

I guess the reason you dislike them is pretty much the exact reason I like them. That's fair.

No, it's definitely ramming home how asinine the phrases are. And I can sadly say, there isn't a term in that ad that I don't hear said in earnest at least once a week. But hey, it's better than that valley girl poo poo that was going on twenty years ago.

I agree. While other commercials in the series may be less obvious, just one look at their faces (especially Jones's) makes it pretty clear how disgusted they are with these awful awful phrases.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Hope he doesn't get me a structured-settlement but if so there's a song with a cure for that too.

It's your money, and you need cash now!!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

computer parts posted:

Usually the way settlements work is that you're paid $X per month for however long (say 5 years).

What they'll do is talk to the company, and have them give you $Y which might be greater than $X but they only have to pay it once.

Then they probably skim 10% off so you may or may not actually get more than you were getting in a single month.

e: based on this an example might be "Get $500/month for the next 35 years" or "Get $50,000 now, minus 10%".

Huh, I thought it was a literal lowball buyout, like "You get a settlement of X distributed over such and such long term. We'll buy that settlement from you for like, 40% of the total payout right now, and they'll start paying us instead."

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

raditts posted:

That reminds me of this lovely DC Comics commercial that all the local comic shops would use in the '90s.
Even then I thought Lobo on Botox saying "THESE AINT YER DADDYS COMICS FANBOY" was pretty lame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9XhC0WB0aw

A local shop here, Fun4All, was still using the commercial in like, 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

raditts posted:

If you recognize the value of stones, then you know that the "value" of diamonds is a result of price fixing.

Fun fact: those rubies and emeralds are way more rare and intrinsically valuable than the overpriced diamonds. And probably are responsible for less deaths and maimings.