Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If there's one thing that's worse than seeing an awful commerical it's seeing the same bland spot during every...single...break. Like that Audi one during the Emmys last night.

I don't care about careless loving roads and people anymore! I just want Audi to die and stop showing this crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

The worst part of the recent Golden Corral commercials is a bit at the end that says 'come join us for Thanksgiving!'

The idea of someone going to Golden Corral for their Thanksgiving meal depresses me so much.

You'd be really surprised at just how many people go to Golden Corral/Old Country Buffet/All-You-Can-Eat places on Thanksgiving. It's crazy.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

I'm trying to figure out which car ads raise my blood pressure more, the Chevy Volt one where they seem to be mocking the drat thing:

"It's electric?"
"Yeah electric."
"wow, electric?"
"Yeah."
"So if it's electric why do you need gas?"
"To drive more than 20 miles"

Or Nissan's "What if everything was gas powered?" ad, like electricity is this magical substance that comes from nothing but the greenest of sources. (OK I get the lack of exhaust/smog thing but still)

At least the Volt ones are mildly funny.

"But it's got a gas tank"
"It's got an electric tank here"
"Electric tank? Really? Is that where you pour the electricity in?!"

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

So glad that douchebag from the Hanes commercial is back sticking his junk in MJ's face, but now he's got a new job as smug douchebag for Chase credit cards or something. Focus groups have proven: America loves douchebags!

gently caress your observation. All I can see when those Hanes commercials come on is that MJ is trying to bring the Hitler stache back.

I can't get over it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ProfessorGroove posted:

For Pepsi right? That might have been the worst commercial I've ever seen. It just reeked off "what do the kids these days think is cool?" Elton John might as well have announced he must go because his home planet needs him then flown off frame by frame at the end. At least then it would have been ironic instead of insulting.

I think he may have been referring to the general presentation of Elton John as a king of some realm.

That said, I disliked the commercial as a result of some contract for the X-Factor winner (Contest winner shall appear in a super bowl ad for pepsi). Pepsi shot themselves in the foot by throwing in this unknown (how many people watched X-Factor anyway?) to sing to Elton John. Now everyone is trying to figure out who this girl is instead of talking about the commercial/pepsi.

You put any main celebrity in there instead and you've got a decent commercial.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Doesn't make their commercials any better.

Or their coffee.

This whole Dunkin' thing reminds me of RadioShack trying desperately to have everyone call them The Shack. Did they ever actually change their name or was that also a marketing thing?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Fauxhawk Express posted:

This Citi commercial with the rock climbers is getting on my nerves because of the song. Sounds like that chick is yodeling "Somebody loves potatoes".

I was going to come into this thread to complain about this commercial but now I won't be able to not hear potatoes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Jimmy Johns talk: I also prefer JJ to subway almost every time.

Annoying ad talk: You know what annoys me now? THE HAAAAPAR! (Dish's Hopper DVR, in non-New England speak)

It doesn't help my mom thinks it's hilarious.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

iastudent posted:

They kind of disappeared off the face of the earth for awhile, but recently they've been coming back somehow. There was one in my hometown when I was growing up that closed down when I moved out about 7 years ago, but then a new one popped up in there about 2 years ago. Same thing goes for where I'm living now.

I think there was a time when Little Caesars was all about being both a pizza delivery service and a Chuck-E-Cheese style playground/party destination (at least in my area it was).

Then the business tanked and they closed a lot of locations and ditched the whole party thing. I think they've been slowly building up their network of cheap and fast pizza pick-up and delivery locations since.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My current bane: STREEEEEEAMMMM....STREAM STREAM STREEEEEEEEEEEEAM STREAM.

gently caress you Comcast.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I saw it more as an extension of the whole "let's put what were saying on the screen because people reading it mean it'll sink in more" trend like from the Ford Truck commercials was Denis Leary.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

And to contribute, gently caress VW for that stupid "slap-back" Beetle ad...which everyone else probably loves. But that song is terrible. Plus, at one point, the lyrics say something like 'right hand slap back!' but he's clearly slapping with his left, what with driving a US car and all.

This almost belongs in the "Things that unreasonably enrage you" thread.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

While I was on vacation Florida I kept seeing this awful ad for some used car lot named Courtesy. It had a bunch of people singing off key to a variation of the Ghostbuster theme, but about the crappy car lot instead. Can't find it on Youtube through.

I will never understand local car dealerships' obsession with using the Ghostbusters theme.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So it only took 2.5 days for NBC to go through all their available Olympic commercials. I'm already sick of them which is sad because some are alright.

But jesus, I do not need to see another Coke or BP commercial and...Oh...there it is again.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 31, 2012

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm so sick and tired of Verizon's stupid shared data commercial. The one with the tuba.

It's a horrible commercial about an absentee father who couldn't be bothered enough to show up to his son's lovely recital. It should be focused on the grandparents who presumably live very far away.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

RaspberryCommie posted:

But cards against humanity takes all the fun out of the game.

90% of the fun is taking the more innocent Apples to Apples cards and making something raunchy or bad out of them. If the cards already have that stuff on them, then it's not as fun.

I find that there's not enough opportunity to really turn Apples to Apples into something raunchy. It does happen (and when it does, its amazing) but Cards Against Humanity just takes it to a whole other level.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm just glad I'm not seeing Lexus christmas commercials with that loving jingle.

Or am I not watching enough TV?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Low production values, bad jingle, floozy T&A...

Sounds like a perfect local commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI-FC1XRgqI

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is up with this Verizon commercial with the over the top IT guy and the incredulous cubical worker. I don't understand the point of having either in the ad. Who is the audience supposed to relate to?

Also, it's on every other NFL commercial break. gently caress it and it's lovely tablets.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

EPG made a great front page article about Lexus commercials two years ago, which were even worse than the ones we have now. They operated under the assumption that everyone knows the "Lexus December to Remember" jingle.

Speaking of holiday car commercials, what the gently caress, Honda?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-mgkcXs7_M

Michael Bolton? Is the CEO one of ten people alive who like his music or something?

Someone at Honda really must've loved his Jack Sparrow bit on SNL and thought "this is how you sell cars to young people."

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Nissan commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiprDsiDvIQ

I wouldn't hate this so much if the NFL wasn't playing it every other break. Also, I don't care that there's a disclaimer, what's the point of showing the car doing something it clearly can't? How does that sell more cars?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

It's purely there to show off the car in a stylish way, not much more. Showing the car doing extreme things like that is basically what every pickup truck commercial has done for the last 20 years.

There's showing things that are plausible for a car/truck to do and then there's outright fantasy. And not fantasy like a Kia Soul zooming through space but a weird middle ground where it's impossible and not a part of some stylized theme.

Also, it doesn't help it just has bad CG. gently caress it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Among others I really enjoy, the Allstate Mayhem ads have been a really great example of memorable advertising.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Brian Moser posted:

What's so wrong with white people that I constantly hear Taco Bell ruins their insides? Is it serious, or is it a joke reference to a movie or cultural zeitgeist piece of humour? Here's a hint, if you stop eating canned food and mayo out of jars, you'll be able to handle Real World Food, and hell maybe even leave the country and eat Other Stuff, too! :dance: :ssh:

It is, literally, the only fast food chain that you can consistently bet on getting food poisoning from in less than 10 visits.

Ask any given 10 people who admit to having eaten there and you'll find nearly all of them have either had food poisoning or known someone who has.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Mixing two ads I hate: the Ford F150 Dennis Leary commercials and political ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZIbJdiL5Ew

But mixing them makes me....actually like it?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's too new even to find a link on YouTube but there's a new disturbing BP gas ad ("I'm giving you a gallon of BP has because you're my best friend.").

I only needed to see it once to be both confused and put off by it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
QuickenLoan's new-ish Rocket Mortgage commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to79_vIukA8

gently caress these for a couple of reasons.

1 - It's really dumb text with a repeating sound effect.
2 - The text is stupid bullshit (you like rockets right? So you'll love our ROCKET mortgages! :derp:)
3 - In this one in particular, the rocket keeps going and going when it is much smaller in wideshots. It makes me irrationally angry. :sperg:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Faustian Bargain posted:

All of the galaxy s8 commercials make me want to buy an iphone out of spite.

Just wait until all the iPhone 8/7S commercials start up in the fall.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

:stonk:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Not to say it isn't crazy but NFL games are also stop/start affairs. I'd be more interested in just ad-time versus field broadcast time (all broadcast time during regulation).

I mean, yeah, it's not soccer where play is non-stop for 45 minutes or hockey where play is only interrupted every now and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Regular Nintendo posted:

Has there ever been a story about unwanted backlash against people who appear in commercials

Uh, what about one of the younger Jenner/Kardashian girls who appeared in a Pepsi commercial right as the Black Lives Matter movement was in full swing?