Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Holy poo poo, The Noid cameo! It's like it's 1989 all over again!

Everything in the Cars universe is cars, even bugs.

Except Planes. Planes are their own thing, apparently.

So, do the planes build the cars, or the cars build the planes? Or is there something much more sinister at work manufacturing these sentient machines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MD2020 posted:

Cars is the logical conclusion to the end of the Stephen King short story "Trucks".

So it's the sequel to Maximum Overdrive then? :v:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kingtheninja posted:

My uncle showed me this commercial for an old beer called Rainier beer. I really wish there were more creative beer commercials like this today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz-WuLQz_ns

I remember that commercial from my childhood, if you didn't know already, the mountain at the end is Mount Rainier, pretty much a distant, visible staple in the Seattle landscape.

Vitamin R still exists, but it's not the same as it was back then. It was a local beer brewed in the Seattle area. The brewery was a big landmark with it's neon R on top.

Sadly it was bought out by one of the larger breweries, and Tully's Coffee owned the brewery when I left Seattle, replacing the big red "R" with a big green "T."

Last time I was in Seattle (2 years ago), Raineer was still available.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

stray posted:

I feel like at some point, Budweiser must have realized that no one cared about their lovely beer and said, "Let's just make commercials that are funny and/or sexy (but in a totally G-rated, network-friendly way) and then finish them off with, 'Bud Light!'"

51% of all beer consumed in the USA is a product of the Budweiser corporation. :smith:

What I find interesting is, I was watching season 1 of Cheers, and there was an episode where Norm and Cliff were worried about Cheers becoming a gay bar, and they made a joke about how everyone would start drinking light beer. It's amazing how in 29 years, (utterly tasteless, and generally terrible) light beer has become the preferred drink of the masses.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DJExile posted:

I worked in radio for about 5 years, heard that and got a good laugh out of it because it sounds like a jab at Art Bell and George Noory.

Nobody even knows who those guys are/were anymore, do they? :smith:

I do... I have a subscription to Coast Insider, for listening to while at work the next morning.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SamBishop posted:

I hate both of you so much for having to look this up. Everything about it gives me a full body shiver.

WHAT THE gently caress AHHHHHHHHH

I don't know what it is, I don't care what it is, I just want this loving commercial off my goddamn TV.

I don't know if I'll ever be the same again. :suicide:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

raditts posted:

You're out of your goddamned mind, the mango pineapple smoothie is the only good thing McDonalds has done in years.

I think he may be talking about, you know, the ad for it. You know, "When I say mango, you say pineapple!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

aquatic sideshow posted:

First of all, the very idea that anyone would ever have a webcam conversation with a fictional character created for the exclusive purpose of selling fast food is frankly disgusting.

I can't say I've seen the comercial in question, but for the record, Wendy does exist, or did exist, she's Dave Thomas's daughter.
:goonsay:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tupping Liberty posted:

Fred Meyer is the Pacific Northwest branch of Kroger,

I thought that was QFC. Of course with my experiences here with the Kansas arm of Kroger, Dillon's, the "Q" stands for something other than "Quality," of course, I'm not sure what yet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this? posted:

From my experience Kroger customers are loving retarded. The company I work for does some rebate processing for various companies and one of the subsets for a rebate is specifically from Kroger. Now the rebate form lists specifically what they're supposed to buy but I want to say that 90% of the ones we've gotten from them have the wrong purchase.

eh, Kroger is for retards, hence why other than Walmart, it's the only option I have for grocery shopping :smith:

Select Meat, for Choice Meat prices, that's all I have to say.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mister Kingdom posted:

The bathroom in my apartment is hosed up because the toilet paper holder is mounted in such a way that I would have to reach back to my left and down about a foot, so I keep the TP on top of the tank and the extra rolls under the sink.

I keep mine in an old CD spindle, because my cat likes to sit on the toilet and unroll or shred them, depending on which way I load it. I did have someone over once who decided that it needed to be back on the holder, she wasn't invited back.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sizzlechest posted:

I've never had luck with bagless vacs. The problem they describe in the commercial with the filter getting clogged and losing suction is spot on. Rather than buy a Dyson, I bought a reconditioned bag upright on the cheap and have been happy with it ever since.

The next vacuum I buy will actually be an industiral backpack similar to this one:
http://www.thinkvacuums.com/dustcarebp.htm

Backpacks are the best vacuums, because you don't have to push or pull them. That and you get to pretend you're a ghetto Ghostbuster :3:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mozi posted:

It's not a terrible commercial but there's still something strange about hearing that "nobody beats Cox for reliability."

Someone else in an area where Cox controls the cable?

How about the "facebook" one? That one annoys the poo poo out of me.

"your friend in the digital age" my rear end. Fuckers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Maxwell Lord posted:

Disaronno seems to be setting out to be the :smug: liqueur of choice. The point of this ad is "Our stuff is so drat good it's all you need!", delivered in the most condescending way possible.

I have yet to encounter anyone drinking it in the wild. (Granted I don't randomly ask strangers what they're drinking, but you figure you'd at least hear the name in a bar or two.)

I used to know someone that only drank Disaronno, she was really odd.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

404GoonNotFound posted:

I dunno if this is local or nationwide, but Conoco-Phillips is currently bombarding us with a "hydrofracking is PERFECTLY SAFE!" ad that feels just about as truthful and informative as the ol' "high fructose corn syrup comes from corn, therefore it's natural and good for you!" campaign.

"Tap water on fire? Urban legend! Tainted groundwater? SHUT UP HIPPIE! We wouldn't do this if it were unsafe, we're a REAL AMERICAN corporation. It's helping the economy!"

:suicide:

I've been getting them here too. I love how the "skeptic" in the commercial is about as staunch as a non-believer in a Chick Tract.

:byodame: Actually it's safer!

:j: I'm listening

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rhyno posted:

These Trident Layers commercials are so horrible.

Looks like someone is jealous that he's not getting paid in gum.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SpacePig posted:

Will there ever be a McDonalds commercial that isn't horribly annoying, and that also makes some sort of sense? I don't think so, but I'd really like them to surprise me.

As posted before, the "I married a 14 year old" comment makes perfect sense. She actually does a good job at portraying the fact that she feels like she might have made the biggest mistake of her life yet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wagonburner posted:

That episode had an incredible Requiem for a Dream reference in it with the fat from the sandwich hitting homer's bloodstream.

I don't know why I go to Mcdonalds. Their fries are the best, but I'm a meat-eater and would never go somewhere just for fries. Every time I take that 1st bite of a Mcds burger (or mcrib) I think "oh yeah this is what it tastes like, and what it's tasted like every single time I've been here, why the gently caress did I get a craving to come here?" It doesn't taste like normal meat but somehow I'm drawn to it and thinking about it until I get that 1st disappointing bite.

They're putting something in it I swear, the corporations and their chemicals man. I mean wendy's and BK aren't great but their burgers DO taste like actual beef, they're just as close to work as Mcds if I'm wanting something fast, why do I even consider Mcd's an option? (a: addictive chemicals. put there by corporations.)

Asside from the fact that Wendy's burgers leave a grease stain anywhere that comes near them, their new fries are pretty drat good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I was curious so I GIS'd "McRib without sauce." I've never eaten one, have never wanted to, and now I don't think I ever could.

It looks like a giant scab.

I don't recomend it, I got my first and last McRib for free today at lunch (3 hours ago), and I haven't felt well since.

It also had a disgusting rubbery texture to it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Steak Justice posted:

I think KFC has forgotten what "famous" means. You can't suddenly make something more famous on a whim. This is not how things work.

Hell, they never have, the first commercial I ever saw for the Failure Bowl, called them "Famous"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Doomsday Jesus posted:

This is one of the dumbest ads out there right now

I swore it was fake at first, now I know it is legit. It is one of the stupidest loving things out there. How can a company think this was a good idea?

I find it fascinating that the same thing could be achieved with a hoodie and sweat pants, and you'd still look like just as big of a tool.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

You Are A Elf posted:

I honestly don't know why I'm so mad at these two commercials; I mean, they're just commercials that will be gone by the New Year, but holy poo poo those are just mean-spirited for a time when people should be in good spirits. Also, seconding Santa bringing stuff for free :(

It's a specific targeted demographic that you're not part of, the Peggy Hill demographic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Moon Monster posted:

That entire commercial I was waiting for the robot to poke someone's eye out with its nose.

It makes me wish that Wafflebot was a real product. :smith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DJExile posted:

I've always looked at True Blood as one of those shows that is just so over-the-top bad (in the campy sense) that you can't help but love it. I haven't seen that spot though.

I saw half an episode once, one dude was like a werecollie for some reason.

I miss the days when vampire media was about killing vampires. :sigh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Compared to what, a Little Caesars $5 'fresh' pizza? Most local places around here charge around $10 for a large cheese so add a couple of toppings and you're looking at $15. Granted it's a better quality pie and probably twice the size of any chain place but not everyone has good small pizza places by them and Pizza Hut is their only option. It's better than Domino's at least.

Little Caesar's is "hot and ready." Just how long it's been hot and ready is what's generally in question, but if you get there at the right time, it can be pretty fresh.

I'm jealous that you have local places that aren't part of a chain, I think there's two where I live, nearest one is 20 minutes away.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Loving Life Partner posted:

It's been a rough transition for me. People say there's "no such thing as bad pizza", but they obviously have never had Dominos

Well, when your choices consist of either Dominos, Pizza Hut, or Little Ceasar's, it's all about the same.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Meltathon posted:

KFC and Taco Bell (I know they're owned by the same company) are essentially running the same ad now. Bring KFC/Taco Bell to your friend's party! You'll be a total hit!

I haven't been to a party where everyone was excited for fast food ever. You go get fast food after the party. You're not hitting on a girl after just eating a bean burrito.

Yeah, it's always irritated me when someone brings fast food to a potluck style anything. It just reeks of "oh poo poo, I'm on the way out the door and was too lazy to cook anything, quickly to KFC!"

Of course this probably stems from my days in Boyscouts when we'd have a potluck event where a good 50% of what was brought was from KFC. 80% of that was from the troop leaders and various other organizers of such events.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I saw this last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ntDYjS0Y3w

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DJExile posted:

Gonna go way out on a limb here and say that's why the ad is labelled as a teaser.

Hell it's not even a teaser for the car itself, it's a teaser for the ad that's going to sell the car.

Wheels within wheels oh god my head :psyduck:

I know it's very, strange. I saw it on live TV so I initially didn't get the luxury of seeing the title itself.

It took me about 20 seconds to even catch on that the tune was the Imperial March. By that time I was annoyed enough by a rehash of a late 90's fad of dogs barking christmas songs, so it just seemed to go on, and on, and on at that point.

Then VW logo out of nowhere. :psyduck:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm sure. Just like imitation crab mean that's made out of the shittiest fish blended together into a paste, bleached, and then molded into whatever shapes you'd like. I like that it's exactly 51% lobster though. The bare minimum required to be able to still call it lobster. loving gross.

I like imitation crab. I can sit there and eat a whole package in one sitting if I'm not paying attention.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DrBouvenstein posted:

Now I kind of want to take that drug.

Trust me if it's anything like my gabapentin abuse, you really won't know it happened until you're thinking about it the next day, and how out of character it was.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

jojoinnit posted:

Oh God you talked your rear end off all weekend didn't you? My dad got prescribed that and it was annoying beyond belief.

Yeah, if you were unlucky enough to talk to me I did, but it was nice, it shut off my self-consciousness, and I literally gave no fucks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MindlessHavok posted:

There is no way that car is equatable to that girl in any way. This is the only commercial on TV right now that gets me angry but I won't turn it because that woman is ridiculously hot.

I swear both Fiats I've seen advertised in the US look like the retarded love child of a Neon and a Beetle, and I own a Neon.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this? posted:

The most annoying part of their commercials is how they they always go "ooh, go to our website for the UNCENSORED version of the commercial!" acting like they show nudity in them.

I know I saw one of those at the behest of either the last thread or the thread before it. The UNCENSORED version is even more cringeworthy than what they show on TV because it has about a minute more of awkward gyrating.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

404GoonNotFound posted:

Both? I can actually think of at least 6 Sonics within 50 miles of here. Overpriced mediocre hot dogs and flavor shots, as far as the eye can see.

I think Sonic is based out of Oklahoma City, so the farther away you are from there, the scarcer they become. I was surprised a few years ago when I went to small town North Carolina and saw one.

Then again, I live in Wichita, Kansas, so there's a Sonic every 5 minutes.

And those two idiots were my first exposure to Sonic commercials, 8 years ago.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Palleon posted:

Jay Leno is the odder choice, since as far as I know, he's pretty much only popular with old people, who aren't the ones ads are usually targetted at. I'm not sure of anyone under the age of 50 who has a positive opinion of him.

Yeah, and if they're anything like my parents, they also love Burger King. On road trips growing up my dad would begrudgingly let us eat McDonald's, bitching the whole time about how much better Burger King is.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Farbtoner posted:

I've made it a point to never, ever eat Jimmy Johns solely because of how annoying it was in college to have their delivery people wallpaper the entire floor of my apartment complex in doorhangers and flyers every time they delivered. Their radio ads are just par for the course.

I have a vendetta against the local Jimmy Johns due to how terribly unprofessional they were when I applied there a few years back. The manager made me wait 20 minutes to take their menu test in an empty building while he wandered about, got stuff out of his truck, made sexual advances at one of his employees, went back to his truck. Then looked at my menu test while blatantly high as a kite, and told me that they weren't hiring.

EDIT to add:

This of course was after they had me fill out an application, briefly interviewed me and told me to memorize the menu and come back the next day. Upon coming back the next day, I was told that the guy I needed to speak with wasn't there and to come back again the next day.

I know I shouldn't judge an entire company by one store, but this was the manager and he couldn't be bothered to be even semi-professional, which leads me to believe that there's at least regional issues.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 6, 2012

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Leon Einstein posted:

They're franchises.

Franchises are still accountable to their franchiser on some level. I worked for a janitorial company that franchised out their cleaning cleaning contracts, no one liked to see me because I meant that the franchisees were going to lose money.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I know it's been discussed here before, but those Mio commercials creep me out more every time I see them. I suspect it's because of the sheer level of detail they put into them and I just notice more and more every time I see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SpacePig posted:

For the past while now, all of Bayer's ads, and even the packaging itself, proclaimed that it was great for heart health and was used to prevent heart attacks. I guess people forgot it was asprin or something, and now they're trying to remind them in the dumbest way possible.

It's a simple branding thing, if I recall correctly they don't ever refer to Bayer as aspirin. Basically it is to milk money out of everyone who doesn't realize that it's aspirin.