Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sash! posted:

I wish I could find a Terminator and send it back in time to find the person that first coined selfie and, well, you know what Terminators do so I don't need to explain this

Learn how to love and then commit suicide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

vyst posted:

The best part is 99% of the commercial is how it can fix you and then there's that part at the end where they list the side effects and it's basically yea, it could fix you---but it could kill you too

I think the best part is the visual filler they have to include. It's always at least half the commercial of people gardening, jogging, walking their dog, going to an outdoor concert, or walking on a beach (and slightly slowed down) while a guy lists off all the horrible things that can happen to you if you take their medication.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sorry there isn't.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I get mad enough when I get screwed in Fantasy Football, I don't need losing real money every week making that any worse.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Benne posted:

Once the political ads come back to football next fall we'll be begging for Draftkings and FanDuel

In the DC area there is no such thing as when the political ads "come back."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sash! posted:

But we also get the strange and fun kind that are like "WHY AMERICA SHOULD BUY THE KC-30 FOR ITS MIDAIR REFUELING NEEDS" or "RAYTHEON: LEADING SUPPLIER OF AIR AND MISSILE DEFENSE SYSTEMS."

I kinda miss the AM General JLTV commercials on the radio because those were the ultimate truck commercials.

Yeah when I listened to more radio I remember all the "HEY GOVERNMENT MILITARY CONTRACTORS! TELL YOUR BOSS ABOUT THIS COOL poo poo" commercials since there's enough of them here that it's worth it to market to them.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Lately there's been a commercial paid for by the National Association of Manufacturers about how any and all pollution regulation is bad and why should we do it anyway when China is worse?

The first time I saw it was mere hours before the Chinese president announced that his country would be enacting some new cap and trade legislation. Awkwarrrrd.

It's been showing here for weeks constantly among a few others with similar messages. We are importing Chinese pollution oh no! Usually they are also trying to pretend that as a liberal environmentalist you should be against new regulations on businesses since everything is great now and we don't want to rock the boat or anything.

There's a trend in commercials that's really irritating me. I can name four commercials off the top of my head recently where the plot is the same "child grows up using our product and bittersweet music plays while we show parts of his or her life."

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 7, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I really hate that loving pig.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TMMadman posted:

http://www.values.com/inspirational-stories-tv-spots

I'll just leave that there for everyone to peruse at their own leisure. Quite possibly the schmaltziest promos ever.

Saw the "Gratitude" one on TV with the daughter and her dad looking at each other longingly, her leaving, and then having to come back for more and was very suspicious. I initially thought it was some kind of parody the incest vibes were so over the top.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mulva posted:

Speaking of incest vibes, everyone's favorite was on again this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhfcWTZeP1k

Haha wasn't expecting the extended cut before clicking the link.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Liam Neeson's Clash of Clans superbowl commercial was legitimately good.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

The NFL now has an ad with kids in it who were supposed to be conceived because their parents had sex right after their favorite team won the Super Bowl

Yeah and Hyundai already did this idea (although I guess not with real people.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7v5pf0aN2Q

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Aren't anti-smoking ads funded by smoking companies because they are forced by law to do so. I've always felt those ads were so overpoweringly terrible and lame to intentionally get kids to smoke in defiance of them.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

drat. It was more fun to think it was a conspiracy that just being anti-smoking people believing vine memes, cat videos, and dub step was the way to get the kids off the cigarettes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't know how effective they are since they are kind of sensationalist, but the ones where they show the person who had his or her jaw removed from the cancer and died at 50 make me never want to start personally.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say I like the Sonic guys but once they opened up some restaurants within 600 miles of me I stopped getting angry at them.

Is there a reason they love to advertise in areas they have no restaurants near?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I guess that's possibly the reason. We just get tons of their ads in my area and there isn't a restaurant within about an hours drive.

I also hate those guys so much. The driver is apparently a comedian on NPR.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ok that one isn't bad.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

No kidding.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-pepsi-fire--jackson-20130509-story.html

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Timby posted:

Market research and pre-penetration is what I've heard -- they saturate markets where they have no presence so that when they do open a store, people have already been inundated with the commercials that their curiosity compels them to try it out (and then they discover it's a slightly better-tasting McDonald's).

Yeah but it's been like ten years of their dumbass ads and they still haven't moved in. :mad:

Doctor Butts posted:

Their food does not look appetizing at all. The desserts look OK, though.

Their dinner food is mediocre at best (and that's by the standard of fast food) and eating in your car is a pain, but their milkshakes and slushes are really good at least to me.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 14, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

raditts posted:

I don't like Sonic burgers or fries but calling them worse than McDonald's is harsh, it definitely never gave me the "I want to die" feeling that only McDonald's can deliver.

Sonic does have pretty good hot dogs, but then again it's really hard to gently caress up hot dogs.

For me it's Rally's/Checkers. I have never felt as terrible after eating there as any other fast food joint.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

RapCat was too good for this world.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zakharov posted:

The "Meet the Hoopers" jingle has been playing in my brain for the last 3 days. I hate you state farm.

The baby in that commercial is creepy in a way that makes me change the channel.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think Progressive knows everyone hates the box which is why there are a bunch of ones where he's pissing off people within the commercial. However like SNL sketches involving characters annoying other people it also is irritating to the audience so I wish they'd stop.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Beastie posted:

I didn't go through all 300+ pages but I'm going to add in every Sonic commercial ever. They've had the same format of two mopey loving losers delivering not jokes about sandwiches or shakes for over a decade.

Not a single one has elicited a chuckle out of me. Find a new loving campaign. God drat.

Edit: just saw page 310 where someone mentions Sonic.

Last time this got brought up someone pointed out the cool Sega Outrun Sonic commercial but yeah otherwise yeah those guys are terrible and I hate them. It's double annoying since they aren't even in my area so they are just loving with me by paying money to show me two people that piss me off.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bank money is insured, as long as they didn't shoot anyone on the way out I don't really care.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

raditts posted:

Why does Febreze love this loving commercial so much?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwEPKTn4ies

After 7 years of bringing it back over and over, they did a loving remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2HQJwoXC9o

That first one is from seven years ago? I had no idea I just see it all the time. It took me a while to figure out why the girl at the end creeps me out and I finally realized she talks just like Jan Brady.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I have to know what car cellphone holder that really bad car exploding gif is from.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Why do the toilet paper bears know enough about their friend's poo poo stains that they call him Skidz?

None of them actually wear underwear so I assume he just leaves a brown streak wherever he sits.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

DJExile posted:

Je suis la jeune fille!

That girl is probably like 40 years old now

This has been burned into my psyche. It comes up in my mind whenever I hear any French.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That first one is just a straight rip off of another car commercial.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

Sweeeeeet Caroline

honk honk honnnk

:suicide:

Seriously gently caress that commercial and gently caress the one where the dude sings It's My Life in the baseball stadium.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SpacePig posted:

I think it's safe to assume that any ad with a minor pre-2000 celebrity is either an annuity payment program or a class-action medical suit.

Or adult diapers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL0YcJ54Afc

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Unkempt posted:

That Progressive Insurance box is awfully chipper considering his destiny is to have someone mistake him for a ColoGuard box, rip the top of his head off and poo poo down it.

My personal head cannon is that they are brothers and it's a Sylvester and Frank Stallone situation. I'm not sure which is who yet.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Not since that Cadillac ad has there been such an accidental self own on the American capitalist system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2zkZgZYEng

I know this one isn't new but it's been on a bunch and when I don't mute it in time I get "THEY CALL ME D.J NANA" stuck in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Majorian posted:

This is how I wish that new Amazon Alexa ad ended:

*sweet old grandma opens up box and reads the note aloud*

Grandma: Alexa, call home!

*Goatse pops up on the screen*

Grandma: Oh nooooooo!

Less depressing than the original.