Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Polygynous posted:

dilly dilly

I hated the Dilly Dilly ads until Tim Dillard (Brewers minor league pitcher) showed on Infield Chatter how much he loved it, and now I tolerate it more easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
OoooOOOoooOoooh Ozempic! "Ozempic can help you lose up to 12 pounds!" [cut] "Since I started Ozempic I've lost 12 pounds!" "...oh! :haw: " :smithicide:

The diaper commercial with the rap about going from bottles to sippy cups.

All of the Charmin bear commercials, but ESPECIALLY the one with the bear cub singing to his parents about having a clean asscrack. Ugh.

Like those terrible "lol adulting is hard waahh" memes. :rolleyes:

Smiling Mandrill posted:

But there is a special place in hell for state farm just for playing that "Rise Up" song over, and over, and over. I swear there is not a commercial break that goes by that I don't hear that loving ear worm.

Oh that was State Farm? Guess I won't be giving them money any time soon.

ghost emoji posted:

I've been listening to Spotify at work today. Spotify has played the same Ralph's "thanks to our employees for helping out during These Uncertain Times" during every ad break. It feels like it lasts about fifteen minutes, without saying a single thing.

In my experience, Spotify has this Jack Daniels ad that's also really annoying, but of course I can't find it now.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Progressive's new "lol our salespeople are in a Zoom meeting" commercials are so loving annoying.

Being reminded that we have to have Zoom meetings instead of talking to people face-to-face is vaguely stressful, especially when those commercials have poo poo like video/audio choppiness and people accidentally talking over each other.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Finally, the answer to all of our prayers -- a commercial even more annoying than the Kars 4 Kids commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Q_BRorEEk

Also, the Seamless "beep boop bap beep boop uh" commercials are just so grating.

edit:

pwn posted:

this just ran during Fallon and I thought I was having a fever dream, despite not having a fever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6xDv8RX87A

Between Kars 4 Kids, Starbelly, and this, I'm starting to think that maybe children just shouldn't be allowed to sing on television.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 14, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

ftfy.

There's one commerical that is outright "I'm a cute kid, thus this food is delicious!" And it drives me up the wall everyone I see it.

Is it the commercial where the parents bribe their children into eating broccoli with copious amounts of macaroni & cheese?

edit: or the one commercial that's like "kids don't like anything, but they totally like this!"? I know that looks like an exaggeration to people who are unfamiliar with it, but I swear that's how on-the-nose that commercial actually is.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
edit: doublepost :ninja:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 23, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I'm boycotting Seamless until they cancel that commercial with the "beep bop op beep boop" background music. :smithicide:

Also, the Citi commercial with the America The Beautiful piano music can go to hell.

DamagedGoods posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uZ7PG3YPuM

This ad is playing constantly, every episode on IMDB.

An ant infestation is a terrible thing.

Expired condiments in the fridge is a nightmare

Those two conditions make me forget the point of the advert.

Im gonna be mad when I remember.

Oh, and pesky intrusive relatives make me even less inclined to purchase your product.

gently caress that insurance company.

Y'all are getting real close to being as lovely as that other one with that Flo chick.

I thought the Ratt infestation one was funny, then I thought the clogging one was kind of meh. The aunt one killed the joke an is dancing on its corpse. It's like commercials that heavily feature Zoom. I don't want to think about the unpleasantness of Zoom, just like I don't want to think about unpleasant nitpicky relatives.

edit:

packetmantis posted:

The new Jake From State Farm commercials are usually funny, but the one with the dollar store Nick Offerman is just obnoxious. The guy's voice is so annoying.

Good lord. :rolleyes:

The one where the guy is on the phone with Jake from State Farm in the middle of the night and his wife comes downstairs, takes the phone, and asks what Jake from State Farm is wearing is stupidly heteronormative. That guy could easily have been cheating on her, either with some random dude who was lying to her OR with Jake. It's not like lying over the phone about what you're wearing is against the law, nor is it like you can't have phone sex while fully clothed.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That reminds me: I had the TV muted when it came on, but there was a Captain Morgan's commercial where different bottles of liquor were in a Zoom meeting. I found it on iSpot.tv and it's pretty obnoxious: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/n5RS/captain-morgan-video-call-peeled-orange

I'm not even sure what the point is supposed to be except "Zoom meetings suck".

:psypop: It was literally just a conversation between ingredients, and they weren't talking about anything except the orange being naked. How is this supposed to make me want Captain Morgan? It seems like an orange commercial, if not some weird avant-garde YouTube video.

muscles like this! posted:

It is a super weird commercial because the stuff with the couple is old footage from the original version of the episode but when it cuts to "Jake from State Farm" it is new footage.

There was an original version of that commercial?

Also, I'm pretty sure that Jake from State Farm is just hoeing around the United States to get people to buy his insurance and then telling them that the insurance was going to be discounted anyway when he wants to break things off.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Gaunab posted:

This weekend I watched a movie I'd seen before on tv and not a streaming service. The movie was 90 minutes which is usually bumped up to 2 hours when you factor in commercials but the channel I watched it on must have been floundering for content or something because they took a 90 minute movie and stretched it out to THREE HOURS! Once I realized that I timed it out and they played 10 minutes of commercials for every 7 minutes of actual movie. That's probably what tv is like in hell.

When I watch baseball games, the stats have ads on them. The rosters have ads on them. The area behind home plate has ads on it. They minimize the display of the game to have little in-game commercials. Then there are the ACTUAL commercial breaks. If I didn't like baseball so much, I would just stop watching -- it's just sooooo much.

If you see the version where it cuts back to Jake and he asks another rep if it is normal for them to ask you what you're wearing the guy who answers was the original Jake from State Farm.

So Jake from State Farm is not only a ho, he's an identity thief. Nice.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I just saw this commercial for a hearing aid where this woman repeatedly whisper-asks her boyfriend if he brought condoms. The sound of the word "condoms" being whispered is distinctly unpleasant, and she does it like eight times.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

DrBouvenstein posted:

Dear Geico:

No one under 60 gives the tiniest poo poo about Casper or Rocky and Bullwinkle.

I can only assume whoever owns those IPs is actually paying Geico to be featured in their ads in some desperate attempt to not fade completely into obscurity.

That commercial is dark as hell when you consider that Casper is A DEAD CHILD. One who died from neglect & exposure, who wants to be loved.

fartknocker posted:

FWIW, I’m 30 and remember them. The Casper movie from the mid-90’s was okay (6-year old me had a huge crush on Christina Ricci in it) and spawned a bunch of typical mid-90’s direct to video sequels, while the original Rocky and Bullwinkle show was still on TBS, Cartoon Network, and such until like 2002. They may not be the most iconic stuff, and the ads are wearing thin pretty quickly, but it’s not like they were super obscure either.

I'm 33 and I feel like every millennial crushed on Christina Ricci, Devon Sawa, or both. That movie was a real sexuality determinant.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I'm starting to think that music in commercials should just be banned. There's no reason for me to hear Hey Ya or It's Oh So Quiet in the year of our lord 2020 in any context whatsoever, but especially not in unskippable inescapable commercials.

There's this commercial with a French song sung by someone with a super warbly style, and it's utter loving torture.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

whos that broooown posted:

Edith Piaf is a treasure.

Even more reason why her ugly songs shouldn't be in commercials. They're too good for them...or something!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm really tired of ads that use snippets of pop songs.

The latest ones using Icona Pop's "I Love It (I don't care)" and Pilot's "Magic".

The commercial with the kids singing Joy to the World has been added to my mute list. The only other commercials on the list are the Allstate one with the Edith Piaf song and a couple of commercials that have "Dynamite" by BTS. There's a commercial with an ugly stupid twee cover of Praise You that is borderline, and I suspect it'll go on the list soon too.

explosivo posted:

this progressive commercial where they're all singing Danny Boy..

:shepicide:

Oh dear god why :gonk: Weren't Progressive commercials good once upon a time? Their marketing department either got complacent or got too coked up.

edit:

Timby posted:

"You need a loan? Daddy, it's for youuuuuu."

RocketLoan, just go :fuckoff:

THAT'S what she's saying? Ugh, gently caress this commercial.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Flo used to be very beloved by the forums

Her appeal was definitely more universal than that or else she wouldn't still have a job.

Plus, I don't think she's the one ruining these commercials.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Personally, I blame Mara.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
This Colonial Penn where the wife mentions a guy, and her husband says "The 76-year old guy who still runs marathons?", and she says "not anymore" -- I have some concerns:

1) No one talks like that. I don't talk about people I know by specific age.
2) "Not anymore!" :owned: I thought this part was both funny and morbid, and it made me expect this commercial to be about his bum knee or something.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

DJExile posted:

the geico spot with billy blanks is trying way too hard. (OK, a lot of geico spots are trying way too hard)

Is Geico the one with the commercials about not turning into your parents? Because tbh I love those. :haw:

quote:

I also had it in my head for some reason that billy blanks died a while back

Timby posted:

Maybe you confused him with Billy Mays? :v:

I know I did, at first.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Out in Colorado we have similar ads for King Soopers where they're dancing to "Apple Bottom Jeans". If you told me 13 years ago that a hit song by T-Pain would be a commercial jingle for a local grocery store chain I wouldn't have believed it.

Same, but with that LG washer/dryer commercial with "Got Your Money" by ODB/Kelis.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

That70sHeidi posted:

I think its great to finally see. But they still don't have the consistency right, so it really still doesn't help. Blood isn't urine so it's not going to absorb immediately into the pads; and where are the clots and lumps? I was shocked and delighted that they mentioned "the gush" though. Steps forward!!

I've never seen a gush mention, but that's awesome. If bears can sing about their asscracks, gushes can be mentioned.

Also, I assume that the nice thin liquid absorbing seamlessly into the pad is just an upsell, like how Subway subs in commercials alway have heaping portions of perfectly layered cold cuts even though we all know that's bullshit.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Just popping in to say that I really hate the latest Progressive commercial with Flo at the laundromat

Same, but I don't know what exactly rubs me the wrong way about it, other than the whole thing. Like, I can't pinpoint what exactly I hate.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
If I see/hear the Go-Big Show ad with the acoustic guitar lady singing "Drop It Like It's Hot" one more time, I'm going to stab myself in the eardrums with knitting needles.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I want jingles to come back. Ban twee covers of pre-existing songs, ban variations of pre-existing songs, ban pre-existing songs altogether -- reintroduce jingles to the masses.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
gently caress, it just occurred to me that Kars 4 Kids is also a jingle.

Is it more annoying than twee bullshit? I'm honestly not sure.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

LadyPictureShow posted:

Speaking of jingles, I'm not sure if Cellino and Barnes operated outside of New York state, but I still remember their old phone number (before they changed to just repeatedly mashing 8).

RIP Barnes *pours a 40 out*

Cellino's solo jingle is ugly & annoying. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Zaroff posted:

It’s really weird watching ad breaks and seeing an ad for Cellino followed by one for Barnes and hearing them try to use a jingle that’s close but not quiet the same.

The "funny" thing is that the Barnes Firm jingle is so much less obnoxious so it's like Barnes is owning Cellino from beyond the grave

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I guess companies have decided to stop using euphemisms as I just saw a commercial for a lady razor that just straight up said it was for pubic hair.

I'm pretty sure I saw a Pedialyte commercial featuring a hung-over protagonist too.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Riptor posted:

how many loving progressive and geico commercials do we need

In the voice of Artie Lange impersonating Robin Leach, "EIGHT HUNDRED MILLION GRAND".

Seriously though, they never end. Same with Allstate. Same with Cellino and separate Barnes, in New York. They never loving end.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I said it before but Progressive's "don't become your parents" commercials are the funniest of the lot. Everything else reeks of unfunny try-hard

Oh man, I love those. Naturally, those are the ones I see the least.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

packetmantis posted:

There's an Alexa commercial where the dad asks it when Pompeii was destroyed, and a screaming Roman tells him it's 79 AD. Anno domini wasn't used until the sixth century; Romans just used the names of whatever consuls were in power at the time. This pisses me off because I am an insufferable nerd.

What pisses me off because I'm an insufferable nerd is that the screaming Roman spoke and understood modern English fluently.

Also, bothering people who are in the middle of dying horribly is just rude.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Vakal posted:

At this point I've probably seen that pedigree dog food ad with the dying girl in the hospital more than any other commercial in my life. It's just never going to go away.

I thought that commercial was cute and sweet the first hundred times I saw it, but it's starting to drive me insane.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I was neutral toward this song until the commercial, and now I hate it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
That Classico commercial where the children give their neighbor a bowl of pasta makes me wonder why the family didn't just invite him over for dinner.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Bag. Alert. Major baaag alert.

God, shut the gently caress UP.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Davros1 posted:

"Noid surrendered to the police shortly after After the incident, Police Chief Reed Miller told reporters, "He's paranoid.""

What a dick.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
If I see that commercial with the guy with the deaf parents one more time, I'm going to gouge my loving eyes out.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Fabulousity posted:

Why is this hosed up grill brush beard with janky teeth smugging at me so much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgvnpoqdfY

Don't you talk about my husband that way :mad:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
"Take a piece of chocolate if you love sharing."

No, gently caress you and your chocolate. Let the children starve. GOD.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
"in the sunshine" WEEEEEEOOOOOEEEEOOOEEOOHH

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
"Build Me Up Buttercup" should be banned from commercials forever.

edit:

Mahoning posted:

Radio commercials with police sirens in them should be outlawed.

This too.