Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Just saw that Kia Soul commercial. Whatever drugs these people are on, I want some. :stare: That's some potent poo poo.

The funniest part is that they're trying to meme it up with the hamsters, but if you haven't seen the first ad (with the 'normal' hamsters in their wheels etc), the joke kind of disappears and with that out of the equation, it's indisinguishable from a Jamster commercial.

Yep, got me some breakdancing hamsters here. Let's put a song that didn't even chart until four weeks ago as the music! That'll attract the kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku90R0xW520

Whoever put that package back with one cookie left is gettin a paddlin'.

Also, I guess the elf is named Ernie. Huh.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Chickens are barbaric little dinosaurs, I bet I could feed them nuggets and they would eat them.

I just saw some commercial for Toyota Prius that disturbed the hell out of me. It's some big man made up of people doing poo poo like brushing his teeth and whatnot. Then they get outside and break up and go to their separate cars. It was freaky as poo poo. Not as hosed up as that one commercial for honda or whatever where everything in it was a person (the flowers, the grass, etc) but still pretty hosed up.

The Prius has been a purchase that you make because you want to be a member of a group ever since its release. I'm just chuckling that they're now so openly blatant about it. Nobody who wants to 'go green' and does their homework ends up picking out a Prius.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

raditts posted:

It seems like that "I just came to say hello" song is the new "BABY UR A FIIIIIREWERRRK" for lovely commercials for lovely things. I never thought I'd find myself yearning for the good ol' days of Katy Perry songs.

The first time I ever heard that hello song, I instantly recognized it as a designed-to-be-ultimately-used-to-shill-cellphone commercials track. Even though it's a letdown song.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

You Are A Elf posted:

att histrionics

Jeez, calm down a bit.

Yes, it's true that a lot of the dynamics of many commercials now seems to be "couples loving hate each other. you are all in miserable loveless relationships and are constantly sniping at one another".

The commercial's punch line is at the very end when she makes the "oh poo poo I should NOT have said that. oh god." face. It's a terrible commercial, yes, but there's no reason to start spitting bile about it. We still have Poop There It Is for that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Maxwell Lord posted:

In other news, Wal-Mart is advertising the return of layaway.

Which is the most predatory thing ever.

They only do it for the holidays and they only brought it back because customers requested they do so.

In non-holiday seasons they are using the logistic power they used to use on the layaway network for their new "Pick Up Today" system, where you can order pretty much whatever the hell you want online and go down and pick it up in 45 minutes. Edit: ugh working for one of their vendors has turned me into such a shill. Still, layaway is far from 'predatory'.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Thought this was a good link for the thread:

Axe's marketing campaign backfire

cliffs notes: Axe did years of research to come to the shocking conclusion that insecure skinny dweebs want to be desired by hot girls. However, the skinny dweebs followed the commercial's advice too well and bathed in Axe, and as a result everybody now despises Axe and it is now a mineshaft canary for....insecure skinny dweebs.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Next gripe, and this is more audio than visual: The new trend of "Wacky Quiz Show Ads". Case in point: Netflix.

"What is blue plus seventeen?"
"A taco salad."

*DING*

"If pigs can fly, what can dogs do?"
"My taxes."

*DING*

And so on.

There's a local restaurant that ripped off the exact same format and it's really diluted and derivative.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mahoning posted:

Are you talking about Bonefish Grille? They use a somewhat similar concept in their ads, but I don't hate it.

Huh, had no idea they were a chain.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

aquatic sideshow posted:

Portlandia commercials make me want to avoid Portland like it's Detroit.

I agree. It's worse than when people post stupid and wrong articles from that Onion site. Worst. Editors. Ever.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I always had an amusing mental picture of some guy seeing the MESOTHELIOMA? CALL RELION GROUP lawsuit commercials, calling, winning an annuity and then it goes to tv-black-and-white YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG land until he picks up the phone to call JG Wentworth so he can get 20 cents on the dollar of the settlement he got 20 cents on the dollar of.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Meltathon posted:

It's pretty much the same tactic home security companies use. "Get ADT or robbers will break in and terrify your wife and kids!"

Mandatory repost of Target Women: Broadview Security (side note: watch every single Target Women episode if you haven't)

quote:

Edit: Also, is a 7 year old going to be sitting in the front seat and also know how to use Onstar?

Point. What are you going to do, tell the kid "When you need help, press the button" "OK" *presses button* I WANT SOME MILK

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

There was a cosmetics commercial a few months back that used "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars. "Girl you're amazing just the way you are. Now buy more makeup so you can be prettier and better!"

When that song came out, I thought "Oh god, in six months I'm going to hear this over every cosmetics commercial. And they're all going to do a matrix camera pan shot when the 'and when you smile...' line comes, and feel so clever about it. and nobody's going to get the irony of using this song." like, i visualized a theoretical makeup commerical. I still think that was his end game with that track.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

StormDrain posted:

I just heard some commercials for renting car wheels. I knew it was a thing, I just haven’t ever heard or seen an ad for it in Denver. What an awful way to spend $14 a week. You could save $14 a week and have a nice set by the end of the year, and if you can’t afford that then you can’t afford to rent wheels.

Here's the magic of this business:

You can repo your poo poo if you have a guy, 10 minutes, a jack and 4 cinder blocks.

If you do this, the renter is COMPLETELY turbofucked and can't get to work, because LOL if you think they kept their old rims around

It's incredible leverage on the renter while being near-zero-risk for the tire shop.

Rent and Roll is a fuckin monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

IRQ posted:

Airplane Repo used to be on Netflix, it's staged as gently caress but still fun.

Perhaps I'm stupid, but why would you get rid of your rims? I assumed that this business (being in Colorado) was aimed at renting people snow tires/rims for the winter, but of course it sounds like it's way more predatory than that.

Nah. people that plan ahead enough to buy winter tires do so in the middle of the summer. This poo poo is to put 22's on your thirteen year old Malibu