Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not really up to Pixar what Disney does with the marketing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vicas posted:

Oh hey, I was waiting for this thread to resurface.

Not really a hate ad, but if anyone else lives in the area of Jos. A Bank, their ad announcer is literally the most excited person who has ever sold me a suit. It's like he has an orgasm every time he says the store name or a low, low price.

I love these.

ALL SUITS! ARE!!! BUY ONE....!! GET! ONE! FREE!!

ONLY!! AT JOSEPH!!! A!!!! BANK!!!!!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
There was a discussion of ads that use 5 seconds of a song a few pages ago, and I thought of my favorite example. Unfortunately RIM took the original down, but the UK version that's half as long should give you an indication:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7uJXuKel_M

Of course, Flash being such an important selling point is high comedy in itself.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There's a Wendy's radio ad where they're talking to some firemen about their spicy chicken sandwich and the audio on the firemen is kinda crappy (clearly not recorded in a booth) while the narrator/spokesperson is professionally mixed and such. The thing that bugs the gently caress out of me is that the script has the two voices 'interacting' so there's some low quality audio of someone saying "this sandwich is hot" and then high quality audio of a woman responding like she's actually there talking to the guy. It's stupid and I don't like it and come to think of it the only fast food commercials I like are Burger King because at least they try to be funny and not push their crappy food like it's gourmet cuisine like everyone else.

They actually went to a fire house in Lowell, MA and gave the firefighters some sandwiches.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The quintessential "used until the end of time" commercial for me will be that commercial for central air conditioning from Sears that seemingly has aired every summer since 1993.

It may have been replaced, but it felt like it would never die.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

It could be worse, they could be playing that awful loving Alicia Keys song in the background.

Jay-Z song

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

DarklyDreaming posted:

Did I seriously just see a tourism add for the Gulf of Mexico sponsored by BP? :smithicide:

I think that and the Gulf Coast tourism ads are part of a settlement for the oil spill

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rirse posted:

Hate the Samsung Galaxy ad mocking the Apple Hipster waiting in line for the iPhone, only to show their lovely product that nobody gives a gently caress about when it comes out.

What do you mean, I thought insulting potential customers is a great strategy!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vicas posted:

Was she actually in New York for that one? I mean, I guess that is the nice part of town...

Makes sense since she grew up in a rich, well-off part of The Bronx.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Merkinman posted:

A phone commercial shows a feature implying you can't do the same/similar on a competing device?
Welcome to pretty much all iPhone ads.

The difference here is that the iPhone ads merely show off what you can do with the phone, whereas Samsung has been insulting potential customers in theirs.

And before you cite the ads with Justin Long and John Hodgman, those ads were insulting Windows, not Windows users.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
You guys should probably use it before you whine about it.

The appeal of Siri is that it understands natural language. With other voice activated programs, you have to enunciate very very very clearly and use preset phrases. On my old Android phone, I would have to say "CALL *contact name*" or "NAVIGATE TO *address*" and half of the time I would just do a Google search for "Navigate two Homer" or "Call

Siri allows you to talk to it naturally. You can ask or say things like you would to another person. For example, "Is it going to rain today?" "Remind me when I get home to call mom." "Tell Jason I'll be right there." And it all work. It tells you if it will rain, it creates a reminder for you, it texts Jason "I'll be right there."

The whole "Bah, OLD FEATURE DONTCARE" argument is so old, and yours is particularly crotchety and uninformed.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Lisa's internal voice in that Verizon/Lucid commercial is driving me insane.

They're actually reusing the footage, it was originally a Droid X2 commercial with the woman saying she could use it for productivity or some bullshit.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo I knew it looked familiar.

Found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsm1b3LiCNk

I don't think there's many ads written worse than Verizon's. There's never a sentence you'd hear coming out of a human's mouth.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Verizon mother's day ad is great because it shows a mother and daughter sobbing while pointing at one of their products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Apple had a year remaining on its license to use the Google Maps API. Jobs was pissed over Android and Google not allowing access to the turn-by-turn element of its API, though, so Apple started buying mapping companies in 2009.

When the contract would have run out, they would have been halfway through the 5's life. They had to do it then if they were going to do it at all.