Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mister Kingdom posted:

The latest Kayak commercial can go straight to hell.

Getting your eyes dilated does not give you Superman-like vision.

I hate this commercial so much. Not only because it's creepy looking but because getting your eyes dilated sucks and makes any nearby light source an insta-headache laser that drills directly into your brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Doctor Butts posted:

I have been watching a lot of hockey and this is one of the Skyline Chili commercials that are in constant rotation on my local channel.

I only bring this up because whoever edited the commercial didn't catch the fact that the kids mother is obviously coaching her kid on what to say, like its been rehearsed hundreds of times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJUyGcAnpNg
(20 seconds in)

Not that I don't expect it to be, but once you catch her mouthing the words he's saying you can't unsee it.

Not only is that commercial bad, Skyline Chili is the absolute worst chili I've ever had in my life. Maybe it's a regional thing but sweet chili is an affront to God.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Kimmalah posted:

Speaking of SNL, it looks like State Farm has decided to resurrect one of their skits.

George Wendt, noooo :smith: I guess that Cheers lucre must finally be gone after all these years.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I liked Uptown Funk when I heard for the first time a few months ago. Now I want everybody involved with that song to jump into a fiery pit. Thanks, commercials.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Nah it's still good. Just nice to get a Parliament song released in 2014

I'd argue it's more Morris Day and The Time but yeah, it's an amusing throwback. I'm sick of hearing it literally everywhere though.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

PaganGoatPants posted:

The HR Block ones with that one dude with the stupid voice annoy me. "Get your billions back Americuhhhh!"

gently caress him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2zCPgq_UR4

I love it when commercials use songs that are totally against what they're trying to sell or provide. Hell, the song's title is a shortening of "For the love of money is the root of all Evil."

I enjoyed AT&T's commercial with the two engineer dudes strutting into their headquarters with Turn Down for What playing, along with the lyrics being audible. I haven't seen in it a while but I enjoyed the notion that some corporate schmucks didn't understand that the "fire up the loud/another round of shots" was about smoking jazz cigarettes and imbibing the devil's juice.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

FuzzySkinner posted:

I love the beat in that commercial.

One of the best ever made. Adult Swim used it in a bump once.

I'm pretty sure that a hip-hop remix of the King's theme from Coming to America, which is pretty awesome in and of itself.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Riptor posted:

Fairly common in New England actually, especially Maine. But your point stands

I tried a Grape Nehi (which I had heard about from MASH) and a Moxie on the same day. The Nehi was unbearably sweet and the Moxie tasted like spiced mop water. I learned my lesson to never drink olden time pop* from there on out.

* Except for Dublin Dr. Pepper and Cel-Ray. Those are great.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

This is beautiful and makes me proud to be an American. :911: I grew up right down the street from a Sizzler in the very beating heart of the Midwest and remember it being packed even as a kid.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgjv-_s9BgU

Kevin Spacey looks like an embalmed corpse in this commercial and it's creepy as poo poo.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

raditts posted:

Hey you, yeah, you. Sign yourself in for a huge loan that you'll be paying back for the next 30 years. What's that, you don't want to? This is America, motherfucker, we crossed oceans and fought wars and all kinds of brave poo poo and putting yourself into debt is nothing next to those. What are you, some kind of pussy? Give us your money, bitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytx-U4XRrOI

I came here to post this exact ad. gently caress this ad and gently caress the assholes trying to bilk more people with the broken ideology that is the American Dream.

Also, "we crossed oceans" has a pretty different meaning to a black person, Quicken. Just saying. :v:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

RustyTrombone posted:

A botched botox injection for migraines made me permanently lose all fine discernible touch sensation in my entire body. Like if someone pokes me with ten or one fingers it feels the same, or draws a letter on my back I have no idea what they are drawing. gently caress botox. :(

My brother's fiancee has terrible migraines and she had this suggested to her by her primary physician. I was leery of it before but goddamn does that sound terrible.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Pomp posted:

the ad i love to hate is this smilie

Speaking of stuff on this forums, I really hate all of those Resume to Interviews banner ads. They're smarmy and self-congratulatory in a non-charming way.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Kawalimus posted:

This one I keep seeing now is a car commercial some stupid family singing "Buddy Holly" by the band Weezer. I've seen three iterations of this sort of commercial and every one of them is completely cringeworthy. The other two were families singing "Sweet child of mine" and "Crazy Train".

What annoys me is that no person under 20 is probably going to know who Weezer is nowadays. And then the Grandpa chimes in and no person over 60 is probably going to know who Weezer is.

That commercial made me realize that Weezer is loving Dad Music now and it made me feel old even though the Blue Album came out when I was like nine.

Sneeing Emu posted:

The newest TV spots for Ex Machina explicitly show scenes from the end of the movie and it's goddamn infuriating. They also promote the movie as "SEXY ROBOTS" when it's so much more than that stupid tag line.

Ex Machina is a good movie with terrible marketing. I was going to skip it until a friend told me that it was one of the better sci-fi movies he's seen in a while. The marketing made it seem like something completely different than what it is.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 13, 2015

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

raditts posted:

I fell asleep with the TV on the other night and woke up in at like 3am to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sSwgTG5XjU

I thought at first that I'd fallen asleep with Adult Swim on again, but much to my chagrin it was Comedy Central and was a real commercial.

My friend bought one of those on a lark and they work surprisingly well.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Tupping Liberty posted:

But don't you end up with random piles of salt in places (especially your food)?

It's not a ton of salt per shot but still enough that you need to clean it up along with the fly.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

AFewBricksShy posted:

Western PA?

I went to school in Pittsburgh and it threw me the first time I heard someone say "My shirt needs washed"

I went to school with someone from Erie and she would regularly say X needs Y-ed and it was strange as hell to me.

Ain't nothing right about Pennsylvania in the least.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Flagrant Abuse posted:

X needs Y-ed is very common in the Midwest.

Is it? I'm from Northeastern Kansas and honestly don't remember anyone saying that there.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I was raised almost my entire life in Lincoln and heard it there a lot.

Well, there's your problem. Nothing good's ever come from Nebraska. :colbert:

Including my family :smith:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I like Paint Your Wagon as much as the next loser-that-likes-terrible-musicals, but that damned Amazon Prime commercial with Wanderin' Star plays at least three times every single commercial break.

computer parts posted:

Huh, normally in the US it just takes one drop.

:golfclap:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Sash! posted:

Is there even tobacco in Swisher Sweets? I thought it was like maple leaves and poo poo.

I didn't even know people actually smoked Swisher Sweets. I've only ever seen them used as a means for cheap wraps for weed.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I thought this thread was for bad commercials, not :krad: ones. If I could practice law, I'd totally make something like this.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I hate the GMC commercials that pop up twice or more during every commercial break.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VizF-6UdWUE

But I find it hilarious that they use an instrumental version of The Who's Eminence Front which is about people using expensive poo poo to try and hide their pain. It's perfect.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I like the one that uses Sound and Color but that's mostly because I like the Alabama Shakes.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Quest For Glory II posted:

this is easily my least favorite ad of the year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHeEt1uc0O4

That video is dire. They should've just used the best thing Flula Borg's ever been a part of (and it's not Pitch Perfect):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wygLNFdUgtw

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah but "All Together Now" is only a bad song if you have very narrow tastes.

Man, I like the Beatles and even I think All Together Now is not good because it's just book end to a movie.

Now the worst Beatles song is Ob-La-Di. We can all agree on that, right?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

BlackJosh posted:

Why the gently caress do you spell pajamas so weird you loon

We're the outliers that spell pajamas the way we do. It's pyjamas in every other English-speaking country.

This confused me as a kid when I saw Bananas in Pyjamas.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

MrSlam posted:

The Bene Gensserit from Dune do a similar thing called the Missionaria Protectiva

computer parts posted:

Sonic is kind of your midtier "oh i'm hungry and i'm in the car" sort of restaurant. A lot of people like their Slushes though (and it is good in the heat).

Pro-tier fast food here is Whataburger though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4U3D701bFM

I grew up where Sonic was a local franchise and I agree. Their food is kinda greasy and not all that good, but they have really good shakes and slushes (Ocean Water is the best).

The one Whataburger I ever went to (in Dallas) was kinda meh though. I was disappointed by it after so much build-up from my cousins.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Shillary posted:

loving bougie white people. These fuckers are the same ones jizzing over that godawful Hanilton musical.

Hamilton loving owns though

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

raditts posted:

I was gonna say, is this a legit opinion based on actually seeing it or is this the usual "thing is popular, goon must hate" thing, because I've literally heard nothing bad about it.

broadway.txt

I honestly believe it's the whole "it's wildly popular so it's bad" mentality. It blew up outta nowhere and now it's popular to be the contrarian that thinks it's not good.

If it's not your cup of tea, that's cool and I can understand that. Saying it's terrible is just outright hyperbole.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

This is just an Art Major being crushed by mounting debt and the realization that he'll have no job.

source: i'm an idiot fucker art major

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Mister Kingdom posted:

Good, it's not just me. I cringe every time I see his smug face.

I've enjoyed him in several things but his public persona of "pompous rear end in a top hat" is not endearing in the least.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

DJExile posted:

that chef in the red hat fuckkn owns

Chef Tony is an American hero of late night infomercials.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

skooma512 posted:

Sprint has a new commercial saying that there's only a 1% difference in other networks.

Haha. They're saying they're poo poo, but not by a whole lot.

Sprint: Good Enough

My mom worked at Sprint HQ as middle management for a good long while so I can attest to this being pretty much true.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Vicas posted:

missing one of your top front teeth will get you turned down for an incredible number of jobs so I could honestly see even something as awkward as this having a pretty sizable number of use cases. Dental costs are pretty hosed up

I have a medical condition that's causing me a whole bunch of dental pain and stress on top of the rest of my other issues and I'm basically turbo-hosed for 12 months until my insurance kicks in and that still doesn't cover my co-pay which is going to be outrageous.

Healthcare in America is a loving joke.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

DopeGhoti posted:

Uber, the service that's so awful to the providers of the service that they don't advertise for the service anymore, but try to con people into providing the service itself. "Hustle", indeed.

Michael Scott posted:

Let's try to post the ads we poo poo talk, so we can all properly hate ourselves and the society we have become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsbWt6FjlTk

As a person that's done some teaching, showing a teacher having to work a second job to provide for his family is really loving sad and a little too real for me. :smith: In any other country that would be a loving condemnation and not something made light of and exploited by lovely hypercapitalists.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 2, 2016

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Did you guys know that Disaronno wears Etro this holiday season? Because I do. I hear it at least 30 loving times each commercial break.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Sash! posted:

I'm pretty sure its not supposed to be realistic

I just saw a commercial with a man verbally ejaculating over how awesome his new catheter is. It was uncomfortable.

To be fair, a catheter that hurts less is probably pretty nice to have because I've been catheter'd while hospitalized before and I wouldn't wish that poo poo upon my worst enemy

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

MrSlam posted:

Could've sworn I just saw an Xfinity teaser ad where they do the "Grandma's house is no fun without wifi" script but with black people instead, and then end the commercial by loudly playing X Gon Give It To Ya. I heard they started using that song in their commercials but it kind of took me by surprise.

I can't find it anywhere to prove it though.

I've seen it before so you're not crazy. It aired earlier this holiday season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Maxwell Lord posted:

Someone really needs to do something about the plague of downtempo covers of uptempo pop songs.

In ten years times, we're gonna hear a downtempo, maudlin version of Uptown Funk.