Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DJExile posted:

I have the regular Griptilian and I love it.

That looks like a mini to me, unless your handgun is HUGE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

You know what, yeah, it is a Mini. I bought it a while back and couldn't remember which one it was.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I have an OG (non-locking) Gerber Milti-Plier with the screwdriver bit kit. I've been using it off and on for close to 15 years, and it's still truckin'.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

Grimey Drawer

I have somehow accumulated 3 Kershaw Scallions that I carry every day.

Well, not all 3 at once, but whatever one is easiest to find on my way out the door. They tend to be scattered around the house.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

My sharp things

585 Mini-Barrage, 551SBKOD Griptiallian

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Is anything from this site any good? I've always wanted to buy a folder or a balisong kit from them, just to see how good terrible my woodworking skills are.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Airborne Viking posted:

For , Warriors and Wonders is a pretty good knife dealer with decent prices. I've bought most of my knives and multitools from there.

Seconding this, and if you're local stop by before he closes up his B&M store (he's moving to 100% online if he hasn't already). Jay is a great guy to chat with, super personable. I like giving him business.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

You should add the Edgepro to your list of sharpeners. http://www.edgeproinc.com/

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Laser Cow posted:

I'm going reindeer hunting, I want a fixed blade knife for all those animal specific jobs. What knife do I need? Bonus points for classy.
Quoting this so it doesn't get lost; I'm interested in hearing recommendations for hunting knives as well (bonus points for blaze orange).

OP is awesome Gtab, great work with the graphics. Maybe mention SOG's Arc Lock in the Axis Lock section as an example of the same idea/technology from another manufacturer.

Not a fanboy/sperglord, but I picked up a SOG Pentagon Elite for wild cheap (roughly 1/2 of MSRP with 2-3 day shipping) from Steep and Cheap months ago. It's the first edged tool I've bought for myself; all my other ones have been gifted (Old Timers that are almost too stiff to open) or found (piece of poo poo with Zippo branding). Plus, who doesn't love busting out an overpowered tool for opening boxes/envelopes, cutting duct tape, or other everyday work jobs? SOG also sends out replacement clips very fast; I got hip checked into equipment at work and my clip was basically ruined, got a replacement in under a business week.

This knife is probably illegal in many, many places; check your local regulations

VVV sky shark, you may know this as a seller, but does anyone know if ESEE-3 scales will fit on an ESEE-5?

e: answer to my own question is "gently caress, no"

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 8, 2011

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Laser Cow:
\Benchmade Bone Collector 15010 - http://www.benchmade.com/products/15010
Not super expensive, and pretty handy.

Alternate: Ontario RAT-3, ESEE-3 or 4, or if you wnat to get spendy, Chris Reeve Nyala (it's awesome)

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I really want to get a Himalayan Imports Kukri. I have no reason for it, at least until I start camping in the boonies more often. But gently caress, I want one. How does the metal compare on a Cold Steel versus a HI? I'm sure I could look it up elsewhere, but I'm worried about a bunch of obese rednecks arguing over quality versus knives made by the ancient eastern art (involving leaf springs and a dirtbike engine).

The steels aren't horribly different. Most of the time, a Himalayan Import will use 5160. The Cold Steel khukri machete uses 1055. In terms of composition, 5160 will have a little bit more carbon, and chromium (1055 has no chromium). But saying that it has .5% more carbon and 3% more chromium by weight tells you nothing, because the difference is night and day.
A Cold Steel khukri machete is .11" thick, uses a plastic handle, a nylon sheath, and has no distal taper or primary grind. The HT is uniform. True to the description, it's a khukri-shaped machete.
A Himalayan Import is hand forged and differentially heat treated. 3/8" is typical spine thickness, and they tend to distally taper. They usually have fullers or hollows in the blade to shift the overall balance. The scabbards are leather covered wood, and the handles are usually either satisal wood or buffalo horn. It's a completely traditional khukri; they receive a Hindu blessing before being shipped out. Call me crazy, but the knives almost exhibit a personality when you handle them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

How are the horn grips if your hands get sweaty and you don't have gloves? Always seemed like smooth horn would be prone to flying out of your hand if it got slick.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

make sure you prick your finger each time you unsheath it, or the blood god will be most displeased.

Isn't that some kind of urban legend?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

priznat posted:

Seconding this, and if you're local stop by before he closes up his B&M store (he's moving to 100% online if he hasn't already). Jay is a great guy to chat with, super personable. I like giving him business.

Ditto on the Warriors and Wonders love - I'm pretty sure the physical store is closed now, though. I bought a black Izula II there - it would be my absolute favourite knife as it's sleek, light, ridiculously sharp and really sturdy- but it's less convenient to carry than a Sage.

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

Glockamole posted:

The steels aren't horribly different. Most of the time, a Himalayan Import will use 5160. The Cold Steel khukri machete uses 1055. In terms of composition, 5160 will have a little bit more carbon, and chromium (1055 has no chromium). But saying that it has .5% more carbon and 3% more chromium by weight tells you nothing, because the difference is night and day.
A Cold Steel khukri machete is .11" thick, uses a plastic handle, a nylon sheath, and has no distal taper or primary grind. The HT is uniform. True to the description, it's a khukri-shaped machete.
A Himalayan Import is hand forged and differentially heat treated. 3/8" is typical spine thickness, and they tend to distally taper. They usually have fullers or hollows in the blade to shift the overall balance. The scabbards are leather covered wood, and the handles are usually either satisal wood or buffalo horn. It's a completely traditional khukri; they receive a Hindu blessing before being shipped out. Call me crazy, but the knives almost exhibit a personality when you handle them.

Cold Steel does make an actual kukri and there's a big difference between it and their so-called "kukri" machete. I bought one of their real kukris a few years back before I knew about HI, but I've been happy with it none the less. It's a monster, weighs a couple pounds and has a 5/16" spine. It has a rubberized grip and came with a pretty decent plastic sheath for about $80 new shipped iirc.

Looks like this is the closest thing they sell now, blade looks different but the price has shot way the hell up:

http://www.coldsteel.com/gurkhakukri.html

I eats my spinach fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 7, 2011

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Is there a classy way to carry a multitool without looking like Grandpa Bat Belt. I pocket carry and carry phone/wallet in other Jean pocket. Only requirement ONE HANDED OPERATION!

Domini Cane
Oct 21, 2002

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.

Que es eso?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Captain Log posted:

Is there a classy way to carry a multitool without looking like Grandpa Bat Belt. I pocket carry and carry phone/wallet in other Jean pocket. Only requirement ONE HANDED OPERATION!

You could make a krydex pocket holster for it.

I just suck it up and grandpa bat belt it. I have to much crap in my pockets to add a multitool and flashlight.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How are the horn grips if your hands get sweaty and you don't have gloves? Always seemed like smooth horn would be prone to flying out of your hand if it got slick.

The grip swells at the butt, and the handle has rings on it. Flying out of your hand won't be your biggest problem, it's the handle turning in your hand on a chop. An easy way to give it a little more security is to rough up the texture with sandpaper. That takes away from the aesthetics, though. I usually thin down the sides to give the handle a more ovoid shape. Gloves also help. Some guys just make new handles; I recall one guy who did stacked leather and another who wrapped fiberglass soaked in epoxy from a car body repair kit.

Professor Awesome posted:

Cold Steel does make an actual kukri and there's a big difference between it and their so-called "kukri" machete. I bought one of their real kukris a few years back before I knew about HI, but I've been happy with it none the less. It's a monster, weighs a couple pounds and has a 5/16" spine. It has a rubberized grip and came with a pretty decent plastic sheath for about $80 new shipped iirc.

Looks like this is the closest thing they sell now, blade looks different but the price has shot way the hell up:

http://www.coldsteel.com/gurkhakukri.html

The old ones made from Carbon V were great, and I'm sure the SK-5 ones aren't bad. I don't usually think of Cold Steel as an option because 1) I despise Lynn Thompson and 2) there are better options at the price point. Hell, you could probably find a Busse Killa Zilla out there for the MSRP of that loving San Mai Gurkha Khukri if you shop right.
I do have to concede that the handles on the higher end Cold Steel khukris feel more secure in the hand than the horn or wood, though. But, just look at that blubbering sonofabitch smile after using his Gurkha Khukri and tell me you don't wanna jam the thing up his rear end.

Mad Dragon posted:

make sure you prick your finger each time you unsheath it, or the blood god will be most displeased.

Isn't that some kind of urban legend?
The khukri needing to draw blood thing was an urban legend that soldiers told to tourists and foreigners. Ghurkas were so deadly with the khukri because it was used to do everything. It was the kitchen/camp/butcher/defense knife because they were probably too poor to own more than just that one knife.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Naramyth posted:

You could make a krydex pocket holster for it.

I just suck it up and grandpa bat belt it. I have to much crap in my pockets to add a multitool and flashlight.

But my carefully crafted Jean/t-shirt image!

I always try to clip a micra and a led to a S clip carbiner with keys and wear it when I'm just dicking around town.

I would kill a man for a classy key wallet thing that would make them lay flat in your pants. I'm a loving minimalist damnit. Less jingle more tingle! Less clunk more clack!

You may use those phrases for a quarter a use.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

twenty-six characters long

It's the beginning of a new month, which means I've got enough money to buy more knives! I opted for a multitool again, a SOG PowerAssist.

I like my Swisstool a little better, but it's just so goddamn gorgeous that I'm probably going to baby it. So I bought something that I'm okay kicking the poo poo out of. I like how the blades and the pliers can all be accessed one-handed, but the safeties for the assisted-opening blades are a bit of a hassle, so I'm going to try and get rid of them somehow. That's really the only complaint I have. The compound leverage pliers are awesome. This is the first time I've bought a black knife/multitool, but so far I like it. I'm actually surprised at how small these "full-sized" multitools are, as I was expecting a brick.

But the best part is INTERCHANGEABLE TOOLS

Not only can I add what I like, but if something breaks I can replace it myself! I've already added a saw and Robertson screwdriver because they're both more useful at work.

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I've had an SOG PowerLock for years, and it's continued to be solid. Mostly just carry it camping and farting around on four wheelers, and I use it at home all the time. For the past 2 or 3 years, I've used it fishing, too.

A buddy of mine worked on cell phone towers, and he used the poo poo outta one. Even dropped it once from about 500'; they watched where it fell, and he just dug it up from about 6 inches underground and knocked the dirt out of it. Everyone else he worked with used Leathermans, and they had to replace them several times a year and they were essentially useless for cutting most of their larger wires. (They hung drat-near thumb thick copper wire for lightning grounds) With the geared PowerLock, he could cut through the heavy lines one-handed, and it never wore out. He used it daily for over two years. They're heavy-duty.
Haven't used it much yet, but it feels pretty robust. Glad to hear so many good things about it.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 7, 2011

stik
Apr 19, 2008

Domini Cane posted:

Que es eso?

It's a Busse Combat knife of some kind. They make limited runs of some very cool and pretty expensive knives. I have a buddy who has 40 or 50 of them. I bought a couple from him over the years and they are truly awesome knives. They are around $150.00-$800.00 each though.

This is the only one I have left. My big one got stolen out of my truck. I hope the fuckers cut themselves with it.

They do not come with a sheath so you will need to have one made for it.

More info here: http://homepage.mac.com/zombiekiller/badmojo/index.html

stik fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 7, 2011

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

I think that's a Fusion Battle Mistress of some sort.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

I've had an SOG PowerLock for years, and it's continued to be solid. Mostly just carry it camping and farting around on four wheelers, and I use it at home all the time. For the past 2 or 3 years, I've used it fishing, too.

A buddy of mine worked on cell phone towers, and he used the poo poo outta one. Even dropped it once from about 500'; they watched where it fell, and he just dug it up from about 6 inches underground and knocked the dirt out of it. Everyone else he worked with used Leathermans, and they had to replace them several times a year and they were essentially useless for cutting most of their larger wires. (They hung drat-near thumb thick copper wire for lightning grounds) With the geared PowerLock, he could cut through the heavy lines one-handed, and it never wore out. He used it daily for over two years. They're heavy-duty.

On the hunting knife, look for a SOG Field Pup.

Despite what the SOG website shows, they really run about $35 or so online. Really tough, lightweight, sharp as poo poo. You could honestly use it to skin and dress a deer, or fillet a fish. It's not great for chopping wood or poo poo, but you oughta have a hatchet for that anyway. Handy tidbit: the pocket on the front of the sheath holds a multitool or a BHP magazine quite nicely.

http://sogknives.com/store/FP3.html

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 7, 2011

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Scott808 posted:

I think that's a Fusion Battle Mistress of some sort.

This reminds me, can someone explain what the hell it means when a Busse is double cut?

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Glockamole posted:

This reminds me, can someone explain what the hell it means when a Busse is double cut?

Pretty much a bead blasted finish.

quote:

A "double cut" is exactly like it sounds. We have set up two large blasting cabinets. One has an abrasive media and the other has a very fine glass bead media. We hit the blades in both cabinets and the combination seems to close off the pores of the steel much better than just a single blast. This seems to offer better resistance to the elements.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Also Gtab tou loving killed the OP. I haven't been up to date on knife steel in about ten years.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

So... Roadhouse, Gentleman Jim or CQC-8?

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Scarecrow411 posted:

So... Roadhouse, Gentleman Jim or CQC-8?

CQC-8. Did you not read about the evils of tanto points? Plus, I think I remembered reading that the CQC-8 is the preferred knife of the SAS.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Thoughts on the Zero Tolerance ZT0300 series? Always wanted one, specifically the 303. Cannot find one in stock right now, must be fairly popular or they don't make many of them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The rattling that the torsion bar makes drives me nuts. It also weighs half a pound. I never carry mine. Kershaw said they have been busy producing other knives but the ZT stuff should be going back to regular production.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

Miso Beno posted:

I need a video of heintron saying big ones and little ones while holding the appropriate knives.

Gtab posted:

If this doesnt happen I will be so mad

Of course I will assist in showing the difference between large and small objects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugkzOUAuDqA

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

That better go into the OP.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

When I was young, I had a horrible knife with a tanto blade and a terrible liner lock. It was also horribly uncomfortable to hold and dulled in a matter of days. Gtab would have loved it.

Now I have a Spyderco Native (after reading the previous knife megathread here in TFR). I really like it a lot.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Here's my Opinel No. 10. I love it for everyday carry. It's big enough that it feels like using a real knife, handles like a fixed blade when locked open, and is just all around classy as poo poo.

I'm not sure that I look like forced patina look, but it was a fun project and supposedly provides some corrosion resistance.

Other knives in my regular rotation include a Benchmade 672 (boring assisted opening knife) and a Benchmade 53 (balisong).

Fake edit: Balisongs are fun as hell and everyone should own one. Easily my most satisfying pointy poo poo purchase.

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo,

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I really want to get a Himalayan Imports Kukri. I have no reason for it, at least until I start camping in the boonies more often. But gently caress, I want one. How does the metal compare on a Cold Steel versus a HI? I'm sure I could look it up elsewhere, but I'm worried about a bunch of obese rednecks arguing over quality versus knives made by the ancient eastern art (involving leaf springs and a dirtbike engine).

I have one of the larger HI khukuris. It is an 18 inch Ang Khola. I bought it for heavy brush duty when I go camping out in BFE. Works like a champ and holds it's edge well. The blade does stain, but who cares as it is a working tool. The Khukuri is heavy, with the weight of the blade forward so one has to be careful using it or you will over swing and potentially wack yourself with it.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Gwamp posted:

I have one of the larger HI khukuris. It is an 18 inch Ang Khola. I bought it for heavy brush duty when I go camping out in BFE. Works like a champ and holds it's edge well. The blade does stain, but who cares as it is a working tool. The Khukuri is heavy, with the weight of the blade forward so one has to be careful using it or you will over swing and potentially wack yourself with it.

Welp, I've been eyeballing these since somebody posted a link to HI earlier in this thread. Looks like I may hafta have one for this camping season. How hard is it to sharpen, or have you had to yet? Is the sheath made well? How 'bout the little knives?

Anybody else have some of their khukuri's?

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Welp, I've been eyeballing these since somebody posted a link to HI earlier in this thread. Looks like I may hafta have one for this camping season. How hard is it to sharpen, or have you had to yet? Is the sheath made well? How 'bout the little knives?

Overall quality of Himalayan Imports is pretty good. But since they're handmade, one of the common complaints is out of the box fit and finish. Sometimes the blade is dull out of the box. Sometimes it's razor sharp. Usually it's somewhere in between. Same thing with sheaths. Sometimes they're too loose (although if your prefer loose that's not such a bad thing), sometimes too tight. Usually they're snug. On the plus side, though, the HT and overall edge geometry are rarely bad. I find HI more reliable than Benchmade for a good out-of-the-box edge, although that's probably not saying much.
If there is one thing HI does better than everyone, though, it's customer service. I don't think the owner ever took longer than 24 hours to respond to an e-mail, and there's a whole forum of people who will answer your questions and advise you on a purchase.

As far as sharpening a dull knife, sandpaper over a mousepad will do it. In fact, it's probably the most championed method to do it. You can even jury rig something in a pinch. Last night I taped a strip of 600 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper over some old cardboard. Got my khukri back to shaving sharp. Also, one of the little knives isn't a knife; it's a sharpening steel. If you chop a lot of wood, using the steel will vastly increase the life of the edge.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Heintron posted:

Of course I will assist in showing the difference between large and small objects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugkzOUAuDqA

My hero~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Pocket knives:

Auto:

Butterfly:

Misc:

There's a ton of other stuff too, including some cool Spyderco's, but everything's packed away.