Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

HidingFromGoro posted:

Butterfly: balisong

Funny thing, balisong is pronounced almost the same as "kalsong" in Swedish. Which means underpants.

Miso Beno posted:

My hero~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Heintron posted:

Funny thing, balisong is pronounced almost the same as "kalsong" in Swedish. Which means underpants.

I vill shtab you vit mein underpance, ja.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

HidingFromGoro posted:

Misc:

I have that same Gerber.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Heintron posted:

balisong

Yeah, it even says "balisong" on the box (and the knife too!) Calling them "butterfly knives" is a great way to catch pedants, though. Definitely going to get some mileage out of the "underpants" thing, for real.

also how dare you discriminate against the good folks of Batangas

Naramyth posted:

I have that same Gerber.

Courtesy of the US Navy. Your tax dollars at work!

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Goddamn do I love knives. Here's my meager collection: (Apologies for cell phone quality)

As you can probably guess I have a thing for kukri style blades. Been thinking about buying the actual article but I just haven't been able to rationalize the expense when my S&W kukri is already a champ at eating bush.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Carried my 710 for a long time. These days I carry a Microtech LUDT that I'm entirely too lazy to take a picture of right now.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

HidingFromGoro posted:

Butterfly:

I have a Benchmade 53 with your name all over it.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Feelin' blue

I would love to see the Collins bolt action lock on more knives.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

The OP should have a section on the mexican sacatripe. Are you...familiar with it?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

The OP should have a section on the mexican sacatripe. Are you...familiar with it?

Nope. Tell me about warm-blooded animals.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Scott808 posted:

Feelin' blue

I would love to see the Collins bolt action lock on more knives.

What is the bottom benchmade?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

c355n4 posted:

Looks like a 960

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Action-Bastard posted:

Goddamn do I love knives. Here's my meager collection: (Apologies for cell phone quality)

As you can probably guess I have a thing for kukri style blades. Been thinking about buying the actual article but I just haven't been able to rationalize the expense when my S&W kukri is already a champ at eating bush.

What's that big one on the far left?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

I'm an edgy edge boy! Look at how hard I am!

Ask me about being a racist!

Gtab posted:

Looks like a 960

Yep, I too think it's a 960. It's a shame that it's not produced anymore, one of my favorite Benchmade knives design wise.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Heintron posted:

I'm pretty sure I now need balisong underpants. Would really impress the guys at the urinal.

rabbitmonger
Jan 16, 2008

AAAUGH

Just got my ESEE Izula II, this thing fukken rules. Longer handle than the Izula I, super grippy canvas micarta scales, small enough to go in a pants pocket. Easily my favorite fixed blade I own now. I like it so much I'm considering getting a second one so I can have a beater and a pristine copy.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

strangemusic posted:

What's that big one on the far left?

It's a Smith & Wesson, doesn't have a model name though so to find it just google "Smith and Wesson Micarta" because micarta is apparently the material on the handle. Or here's the Amazon page for where I bought it Knife

It's a weird one, the handle is incredibly massive for starters. Also a little research shows that it wasn't a "true" S&W blade, as it was manufactured by Taylor cutlery, which outsourced the job to China. and for whatever reason these things have been sitting in storage for quite awhile. Regardless it razor sharp and tough as gently caress because of its girth.

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 9, 2011

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

c355n4 posted:

It's actually the 13960, so unfortunately it has the giant HARLEY DAVIDSON etch on the other side of the blade. I'd have preferred they left that off and just used the HD logo on the clip and scale as those are much more subtle. The clip and blade steels are also different compared to a normal 960.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Action-Bastard posted:

It's a weird one, the handle is incredibly massive for starters. Also a little research shows that it wasn't a "true" S&W blade, as it was manufactured by Taylor cutlery, which outsourced the job to China. and for whatever reason these things have been sitting in storage for quite awhile. Regardless it razor sharp and tough as gently caress because of its girth.

I'm pretty sure all S&W knives are made by Taylor Cutlery. I don't think there are any "true" S&W blades out there, but I could be wrong.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

I'm pretty sure all S&W knives are made by Taylor Cutlery. I don't think there are any "true" S&W blades out there, but I could be wrong.

Well I'm completely ignorant on the subject so apologies if I was sounding like I knew what I was talking about. My other S&W knife didn't have the Taylor Cutlery mark on the box so I just assumed.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Action-Bastard posted:

Well I'm completely ignorant on the subject so apologies if I was sounding like I knew what I was talking about. My other S&W knife didn't have the Taylor Cutlery mark on the box so I just assumed.

I bought one several years ago that was Taylor Cutlery. I'm talking like seven years ago I think? It was a good knife. Not the best, but still not bad at all.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

A tomahawk is a knife on a stick and the gloss black factory paint job on mine was terminally untactical.

So I did this:

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

There's a huge megathread on BFC in the Axe & Tomahawk forum that's all about modding CS hawks.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

sky shark posted:

There's a huge megathread on BFC in the Axe & Tomahawk forum that's all about modding CS hawks.

Just checked that out, there's a lot of time and effort sunk into some of those little $20 tomahawks. I've beaten mine to absolute poo poo since it gets used almost every day.

bij fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 10, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Spyderco Paramilitary 2, Emerson CQC-7, Sebenza with micarta inlays, GEC Scout slipjoint. Man I'm loving these old-school knives by Great Eastern Cutlery. They have monster backsprings and everything about it feels like a quality tool from the 1960s or something back when things were built right.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

I received my knife today, its a total beast. 1/4th inch thick 1095 steel, Green and black micarta handles. It's so beefy i feel like i could cut myself out of a wrecked car and kill bears with it. But because of the tanto blade hate here, I'm not sure pics would be appreciated..

TFR, Should i post pics of my newest stabbing implement, even though it goes against the "Don't buy a tanto ever" thing?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Omg50BMG posted:

I received my knife today, its a total beast. 1/4th inch thick 1095 steel, Green and black micarta handles. It's so beefy i feel like i could cut myself out of a wrecked car and kill bears with it. But because of the tanto blade hate here, I'm not sure pics would be appreciated..

TFR, Should i post pics of my newest stabbing implement, even though it goes against the "Don't buy a tanto ever" thing?

Sure, why not? Buy whatever you want. It's your money. The warning's there to hopefully stop Modern Warfare nerds from coming in here and asking what totally sick Strider they should buy.

Because I don't need a stroke.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Potential BFF posted:

A tomahawk is a knife on a stick and the gloss black factory paint job on mine was terminally untactical.

So I did this:

Tomahawks are pretty cool.

DSC_0066 by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Tomahawk and patch knife by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

All of these tomahawk pictures are making me want one. Suggestions?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

Tomahawks are pretty cool.

DSC_0066 by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Tomahawk and patch knife by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Every time someone says Tomahawk, this comes to my head.

stik
Apr 19, 2008

Does anybody here have a Moore Maker knife? I have been eying a couple of them and think they look really nice.

http://catalog.mooremaker.com/viewProduct.cfm?item_id=712353

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Black Stormy posted:

All of these tomahawk pictures are making me want one. Suggestions?

Cold Steel are decent for the price. Do you want something classic or tactical? The SOG Fusion is a good low price tactical hawk. Fort Turner is a good place to look toward a classic style. I really want their Rogers Rangers hawk. You could also look at Crazy Crow for classic hawks. That is where I get my handles.

Gtab posted:

Every time someone says Tomahawk, this comes to my head.

I hope that is a good thing. I have since broken that handle and need to refinish a new one and get new pictures of the tomahawk. I may do a short write up on my process if anyone is interested. It is fairly simple.

Also, here is an old picture of my patch knife featured in the previous pictures.

Patch Knife by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

T-T-T-Tactical T-T-T-Tanto

They were $20 each off the Matco truck

The only reason I have two of the tantos because I thought I lost one.

The silver one is pretty decent; the blade is nice and sharp and it flips out with almost no effort. Also, it is not a tanto.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TANTO CONFESSIONS

I have a cold steel recon tanto I got in a closeout sale. It's silly but I like it.

I wonder how many people have attempted to punch thru mild steel with it without a paracord loop keeping their hand secure

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

I hope that is a good thing. I have since broken that handle and need to refinish a new one and get new pictures of the tomahawk. I may do a short write up on my process if anyone is interested. It is fairly simple.

Absolutely is. They're great pictures and that's one of the only tomahawks I've ever seen -- and I've seen a buuuuunch -- that I don't innately hate for being dumb as balls.

Please do post the process and stuff whenever you get around to it. That'd be cool as hell.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Gtab posted:

Absolutely is. They're great pictures and that's one of the only tomahawks I've ever seen -- and I've seen a buuuuunch -- that I don't innately hate for being dumb as balls.

Please do post the process and stuff whenever you get around to it. That'd be cool as hell.

Alright. I will see if I can find my jewelers files and try to do something Sunday or Monday. I actually bought the tomahawk when I was working at Philmont scout ranch and since we had no electricity in the back country we would end up throwing hawks just about every night. They make a fun toy.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

Ok, so here is the knife i just recieved from Jericoh blade works. It's the Honor Mk IV. Made out of 1095 steel, this has the desert "Patina" applied to it. It's a 4 inch blade, 1/4th thick. Black and green handles.

This is my first semi custom knife and i love it alot, its also sharp as hell. I am in the midst of talking to him about getting one of my folding knife blades translated into one of his fixed blade designs. It'll probly be august before i even see that one. Otherwise if it wouldnt work out as a fixed blade i'm going to be getting a guardian II MKIV from him instead.

EDIT: Those pictures have been brightened a bit.

EDIT: To correct steel type.

Omg50BMG fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 10, 2011

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Gtab posted:

1They're great pictures and that's one of the only tomahawks I've ever seen -- and I've seen a buuuuunch -- that I don't innately hate for being dumb as balls.

What? You don't like tactical peace pipes, complete with Authentic Injun Beads and Feathers?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Mad Dragon posted:

What? You don't like tactical peace pipes, complete with Authentic Injun Beads and Feathers?

Only if they're made out of lead pipes and railroad spikes and wielded by White Legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

My occupation allows me to possess an automatic knife, and one of the instructors at my USAR class said it's definitely something you'd like to have if deployed. I know absolutely nothing about them, other than the Benchmade Infidel looks pretty tight.

Are there any for less than $200 USD that are worth buying?