Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends

Plaster Town Cop

mischief posted:

Most all the stuff I've bought in the last forever has been Torx. You can get a little multibit set pretty much anywhere, even Walmart and other big boxes carry them cheap now.

Thank you, it's sort of pre worn out so I didn't even recognize it as a torx screw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

If you talk about a cheap knife, you need to post pictures of the cheap knife.

For science.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Anyone have any opinions on Zombietools?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I do.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I've got their cleaver and their Bowie. I use the cleaver in the kitchen, mostly for cutting through frozen racks of ribs and similar stuff, and its edge still looks brand new though despite my best efforts (cleaning it immediately and occasionally putting food grade mineral oil on it) it appears it's developing a bit of a patina, which is probably to be expected.

Never actually used the Bowie for anything.

IIRC the consensus on the web amongst uber nerds was that they're super heavy and chunky which is great for utilitarian purposes but not so great if you actually wanted to do some sword fighting with them, and they're probably overpriced.

I'm not a huge fan of the splattered acid aesthetic which is why my two are largely their satin finish. The rumor is that when they first started their grind lines looked like poo poo so they did the acid washing and zombie apocalyptic stuff to hide that fact, but I would definitely say they no longer have that problem now as my Bowie looks perfect to me.

I really like the aluminum/leather handles, comfortable and grippy at least for my hands.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

bird with big dick posted:

I've got their cleaver and their Bowie. I use the cleaver in the kitchen, mostly for cutting through frozen racks of ribs and similar stuff, and its edge still looks brand new though despite my best efforts (cleaning it immediately and occasionally putting food grade mineral oil on it) it appears it's developing a bit of a patina, which is probably to be expected.

Never actually used the Bowie for anything.

IIRC the consensus on the web amongst uber nerds was that they're super heavy and chunky which is great for utilitarian purposes but not so great if you actually wanted to do some sword fighting with them, and they're probably overpriced.

I'm not a huge fan of the splattered acid aesthetic which is why my two are largely their satin finish. The rumor is that when they first started their grind lines looked like poo poo so they did the acid washing and zombie apocalyptic stuff to hide that fact, but I would definitely say they no longer have that problem now as my Bowie looks perfect to me.

I really like the aluminum/leather handles, comfortable and grippy at least for my hands.

I think those are pretty drat cool, for the record.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I ordered a knife from Nepal about a month ago and they're making it now and just emailed me a pic.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

I ordered a knife from Nepal about a month ago and they're making it now and just emailed me a pic.

Is that a Kailash?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It is.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

I'm looking forward to seeing both the finished product and your opinion of it. Their stuff looks very appealing.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Glockamole posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing both the finished product and your opinion of it. Their stuff looks very appealing.

I really like my Kailash. I use it for brush and it has performed well against buckthorn and small downed logs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

crazypeltast52 posted:

I really like my Kailash. I use it for brush and it has performed well against buckthorn and small downed logs.

Read that as "Kalash", forgot what thread I was in, had wonderful mental images.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

They donít call it a chopper for nothing!

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Thanks dude; I was looking into the cleaver and it looks rad.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Any of those deals active where you buy a sack Ďo surplus machetes for cheap and god only knows what you get?

Because I suddenly need to clear a bunch of brush and a sack Ďo machetes from god knows where would be useful.

Related: any suggestions on how to quickly sharpen a machete? The cheap ones at Home Depot have blades so dull I sawed one back and forth on my calf with heavy pressure to illustrate to the person with my why no, we werenít buying these loving 20 inch butter knives

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

^ Is the home shopping network still a thing?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Cyrano4747 posted:

Related: any suggestions on how to quickly sharpen a machete? The cheap ones at Home Depot have blades so dull I sawed one back and forth on my calf with heavy pressure to illustrate to the person with my why no, we werenít buying these loving 20 inch butter knives

Grinder or belt sander depending. If dull as hell you might need a grinder.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have an Ontario Knife USGI machete with a d handle that has been abused for the 20 some years I've owned it and is still kicking.

The handle rivets are a bit rattley because I decided to see if I could use it like a throwing axe back in high-school. It worked perfectly once I got the proper distance from the target figured out. however the trial and error involved the handle end hitting first quite a few times. I should fix it. Pretty sure I have the right punches and the skill to tighten them up that I lacked at 16.

I have always just used a bench grinder to quickly sharpen tools like machetes/axes/mower blades. No sense in putting too much effort into a perfect edge when it's a tool that needs to take abuse.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Any of those deals active where you buy a sack Ďo surplus machetes for cheap and god only knows what you get?

Because I suddenly need to clear a bunch of brush and a sack Ďo machetes from god knows where would be useful.

This one got posted a while back, $30 for 3 El Salvadoran made machetes or possibly a billhook.
https://www.baryonyxknife.com/imgrbag3.html

The next cheapest option is Tramontina machetes, which generally go for around $10-20 each on Amazon depending on style and length.

For sharpening I've always done it by hand with a sharpening stone (and a medium/fine hand file for if I need to reshape the blade or remove dings) but a Harbor Freight bench grinder will be enough if you want to get it done fast. Just don't overheat the metal by grinding in one spot.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah Iím not worried about getting a shaving sharp machete, just not that kind of dull.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

C.M. Kruger posted:

This one got posted a while back, $30 for 3 El Salvadoran made machetes or possibly a billhook.
https://www.baryonyxknife.com/imgrbag3.html

Perfect!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cheap machetes are sorta like razors. When they wear out, buy a new one.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Also - https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/colombian-military-surplus-assorted-machete-knives-5-pack-new?a=1923616

I got a couple boxes when they were even cheaper and they're all name brand decent machetes.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah Iím not worried about getting a shaving sharp machete, just not that kind of dull.

At least for Central and South American machetes, it's more the norm than the exception for them to come dull. They don't finish the edges in order to keep costs down for the end buyer. Condor Tool and Knife is an exception to that rule, but the higher fit and finish is reflected in the price. Just something to be aware of wherever you buy your machetes.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Related: any suggestions on how to quickly sharpen a machete? The cheap ones at Home Depot have blades so dull I sawed one back and forth on my calf with heavy pressure to illustrate to the person with my why no, we weren’t buying these loving 20 inch butter knives

Seconding or thirding the belt sander suggestion. I bought this 1x30 sander back when it was like $30 and it's done well for me. You can use a coarse stone or file; lots of people do. But the grinder will be faster and you can use both hands to focus on angle and pressure.
Alternately, seriously consider paying the extra money to have the machetes hand finished by Ben if you buy the three pack from Baryonyx Knife. They'll be shaving sharp out of the box.

crazypeltast52 posted:

What model did you get? Pictures would be good. I love pictures of khukuris.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Captain Log posted:

Cheap machetes are sorta like razors. When they wear out, buy a new one.

What's the best way to dispose of a machete?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I want to say throw it at things until it breaks

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:1

Mu Zeta posted:

Dispose of a machete by embedding it in the skull of a sworn enemy, obviously.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Glockamole posted:

At least for Central and South American machetes, it's more the norm than the exception for them to come dull. They don't finish the edges in order to keep costs down for the end buyer.

I've heard this referred to as a "courtesy edge". They only put on the most basic of bevels because how acute or obtuse the actual edge will need to be will vary widely depending on what the end user is doing with the machete.

The term you want to search for to get a file suitable for sharpening is "axe file". I've also used a Lansky Puck but for machete work I prefer the toothier edge that a file leaves.

Edit: a belt sander is obviously fastest, but machetes tend to be soft enough steel that you'll want a file for touching it up in the field anyway.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 15, 2021

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I've never heard of an axe file, I just have a bastard file and a sharp pebble for non power tool work

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

If you really want to get fancy you can get a scythe anvil or mini anvil and a ball peen hammer so you don't have to grind the blade back aggressively if you dent it by hitting a rock or something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Same a a razor blade: put it in your walls.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hey knife nerds - remember the fancy Space Force kabar?

Turns out the Russians are way ahead of us in stabbing space:

ZuluDashOne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTzJJxArxRY

Imagining all the people sitting in mission control making GBS threads bricks while Kononenko goes ham on the Soyuz with a knife.

(Sound on)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

(Sound on)

Well now Iím even more mad at the sheath. It needs a lanyard attaching it to the knife or Iím gonna lose it on a spacewalk.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

(Sound on)

Does anyone have an idea what the actual knife he used was? All I kept getting results for was a survival machete.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I found this auction that seems to be a match

Searching for the numbers on the handle doesn't give me any info on what the knife is officially called, and looking for "Soyuz knife" brings up results for the weird machete.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

I found this auction that seems to be a match

Searching for the numbers on the handle doesn't give me any info on what the knife is officially called, and looking for "Soyuz knife" brings up results for the weird machete.

That looks like a winner.

I like the look of it and want to make a few.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What's the story on this?(not my image)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

twenty-six characters long

The purpose of that notch has long been forgotten. You'll hear stuff like:
  • So blood drips off, instead of running down to the handle and making it slippery
  • So it looks like the hoof of a cow, as a reminder that cows aren't to be butchered
  • So when the blade flexes near the handle, it puts less stress on the cutting edge
But the real answer is "it's tradition".

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

And I had heard it was a religious symbol 🤷🏻‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I always assumed it had some kind of tool-like use. Most of the time when you see little bits and bobs added or subtracted from knives (or axes, or shovels, etc) it's because there's some specific use that might make zero sense to someone who isn't from that time and place.