Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I always assumed it had some kind of tool-like use. Most of the time when you see little bits and bobs added or subtracted from knives (or axes, or shovels, etc) it's because there's some specific use that might make zero sense to someone who isn't from that time and place.

I doubt many people use a spey blade in it's original role, or even connect the name with the act.

American traditional pocket knives are rife with this. Some of the shapes are obsolete for their intended use, or the reason for using a knife that way has disappeared. Some of it is surely old-timey marketing bullshit.

Then again, there are plenty of peoples around the world for whom the word ,"knife", means one design and one design only.

"Grampa, why do all our knives have holes in the handle?"
"We used to lash them to poles and make spears."
"Why do our table knives look like that?"
"Tradition. Now shut up and eat your peas!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

There are no men like me. There's only me.

So I'm looking for suggestions. I'm trying to find something in the $30 (give or take ten bucks range depending) that I can throw in a fanny pack for my walks that looks interesting or cool but is still functional. The donut knife would have been ideal but I missed the boat on that one. So far nothing has really grabbed me from the usual suspects.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Glockamole posted:

What model did you get? Pictures would be good. I love pictures of khukuris.

Modern service issue, I'll do a post with the progress pictures and the blade this weekend.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

TheKingslayer posted:

So I'm looking for suggestions. I'm trying to find something in the $30 (give or take ten bucks range depending) that I can throw in a fanny pack for my walks that looks interesting or cool but is still functional. The donut knife would have been ideal but I missed the boat on that one. So far nothing has really grabbed me from the usual suspects.

Are you looking for something modern, or more traditional? For the latter, I'd recommend an Opinel with whatever type of wood catches your fancy, or a Douk Douk.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maybe a Mercator K55K or a Svörd Peasant Mini?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Donut Knife, but shark instead of donut? https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Mini-Warhawk-Kalashnikov--113923

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Dang, I was going to suggest that one as soon as they asked.
They have some other pretty fun color ways, too; I'm a fan of the black scales yellow blade (yellowjacket) and black scales red blade (black widow). There's also the green mamba (nuclear zombie green blade with black scales) and blue scorpion (electric blue blade, black scales)

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

All of the above are great suggestions for something traditional; I'd also add the Case Sodbuster to that list.

If you want a more modern folder, the Chinese brands are absolutely killing it in the $20-30 range--look up some stuff from Ganzo and Eafengrow. Just be aware that whatever they claim the blade steel is, it's probably just a decent 440c.

If you're tossing it in a fanny pack, you can also think about a smaller fixed blade. The Morakniv Eldris comes in a bunch of fun colors.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:1

One of the things missing from my "collection" () was a traditional style pocket folding knife. I was drawn to the Buck 110, but that thing is actually pretty BIG. So, I ended up ordering a Buck 112 "Ranger," which still keeps the grandpa feel of the 110, but will actually disappear into a pocket. Can't wait for it to show up in my mailbox!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You need a Buck Stockman. Those really disappear into the pocket. The 112 is actually pretty heavy unless you buy a plastic version.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kukri from Kailash Blades/Nepal showed up far sooner than I expected. Ordered Feb 18th, finished March 15th, arrived March 22nd.

Very very happy with it. The factory edge on it is the sort of edge most would consider to be very good even on a high end pocket knife or chef's knife so the fact that it's on this big 13" blade is pretty impressive IMO. Micarta scales feel great. Scabbard is a work of art.

This is the Angkhola Dui Chirra with 13" blade length, polished blade finish, white metal hardware, full tang, Micarta scales, large (5.25") handle, and Salyani rubbed leather scabbard for a total with options of $277 plus $41 in shipping.

The only "criticism" I'd give it, and it's so minor I wouldn't actually call it a criticism, just an observation, is that it's not "mirror" polished, i.e. you can still barely see some grind line texture on the blade, and those grind lines aren't super consistent. Like towards the heel they're one direction and the rest of the blade they're mostly a different direction. It's only something you'd notice looking at it closely in the right light but its worth mentioning. A little effort with some polishing compound and you could probably eliminate this, if you cared.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

We now have an index thread so you can find megathreads fast. Bookmark it or something, IDK.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

Kukri from Kailash Blades/Nepal showed up far sooner than I expected. Ordered Feb 18th, finished March 15th, arrived March 22nd.

Very very happy with it. The factory edge on it is the sort of edge most would consider to be very good even on a high end pocket knife or chef's knife so the fact that it's on this big 13" blade is pretty impressive IMO. Micarta scales feel great. Scabbard is a work of art.

This is the Angkhola Dui Chirra with 13" blade length, polished blade finish, white metal hardware, full tang, Micarta scales, large (5.25") handle, and Salyani rubbed leather scabbard for a total with options of $277 plus $41 in shipping.

The only "criticism" I'd give it, and it's so minor I wouldn't actually call it a criticism, just an observation, is that it's not "mirror" polished, i.e. you can still barely see some grind line texture on the blade, and those grind lines aren't super consistent. Like towards the heel they're one direction and the rest of the blade they're mostly a different direction. It's only something you'd notice looking at it closely in the right light but its worth mentioning. A little effort with some polishing compound and you could probably eliminate this, if you cared.

Holy hell that's a nice looking knife. It really makes me want to pull the trigger on a Kailash.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:1

Mu Zeta posted:

The 112 is actually pretty heavy unless you buy a plastic version.
Go it in the mail yesterday. You were definitely right about it being heavy. I got the ebony handled one, and its weighs about as much as my Leatherman. Cripes. Anyway, this thing is loving sweet. It also came RAZOR sharp. Man, I love this thing. It's the "Dad" knife I wanted, for sure.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

If you've ever been like "oh I don't know if I'd like the Buck 110 and it's $50 and all," Ka-Bar sells a clone that usually goes for around $15. It's got a pocket clip and thumb stud too! Only downside is no shiny brass.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I've got a question for y'all.

About a year ago, all my beloved Chinese knock off makers disappeared from Ebay. When "nice" knives get into gun money territory, and I absolutely know they will never be used for anything, and I have two really nice Benchmade autos, I normally cannot justify big money on knives. There is too much other stuff I could get more enjoyment from.

But hot drat, do I love some knives.

I have no desire for actual counterfeits, because it makes me feel sleazy thinking about giving them business. But if I wanted some Zero Tolerance style knives, what are my options? I love Eafengrow. That's about all I know for quality knives in the $20-40 neighborhood.

I was told Wish is garbage. Where could I find Chinese type, low priced knives that won't explode when opened?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

These folks take PayPal for minimum fuckery

https://www.fasttech.com/category/1901/knives-for-outdoor-survival

I bought a bunch of cheap knives from them awhile back and all in all pretty good experience.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

There are no men like me. There's only me.

C.M. Kruger posted:

If you've ever been like "oh I don't know if I'd like the Buck 110 and it's $50 and all," Ka-Bar sells a clone that usually goes for around $15. It's got a pocket clip and thumb stud too! Only downside is no shiny brass.

Well this is fuckin' cool info. This thing looks neat.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Action-Bastard posted:

These folks take PayPal for minimum fuckery

https://www.fasttech.com/category/1901/knives-for-outdoor-survival

I bought a bunch of cheap knives from them awhile back and all in all pretty good experience.

I just tried to place a pretty big knife order, but was told knives cannot be shipped to the United States.

I opened the chat and talked to a rep, who said they could create the order manually, send me a PayPal Link, then ship though PostNL as an intermediary.

Is that normal? If I'm using PayPal, I'm not really worried about getting ripped off. But no knives to the US sounds bizarre.

If you have any other websites with Eafengrow level knives, let me know. I'll buy $20 all day, because I can sell the ones I don't like for a cool profit of literal dollars. Dollars, I say.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

The gently caress? Yeah I made an order no issue last time.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Action-Bastard posted:

The gently caress? Yeah I made an order no issue last time.

The website automatically flagged the knives (all Eafengrows) as unshippable to the US.

When I have a little more patience, I’ll probably place a small test order. I get the impression from what I read on the website it’s a PayPal thing.

Considering eBay is dropping PayPal, I wonder if they’re getting stricter on anything “scary.”

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

Ding!

I've developed a very bad and expensive habit of checking the new arrivals page on BladeHQ every day. As a result, I am now the proud owner of this extremely fancy piece of pocket art. Send help.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Neat. What is it?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

Ding!

Its an Olamic Wayfarer 247. They are a neat little semi-custom shop doing all kinds of weird things anodizing/carving/decorating to the titanium handles on their knives. They don't have a standard "style" for their knives. They pretty much just experiment constantly and never make the same exact knife twice. Extremely well made with high attention to detail.

I had been toying with doing a custom build through them for a few weeks, but I couldn't make up my mind on what I wanted. Here's their build assistant that shows all the wacky poo poo they do. This particular knife just hit on a lot of things I would have requested and I couldn't resist.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://v.redd.it/b5eznfbi8oq61/DASH_1080.mp4

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I have questions but I'm like 60% sure I don't want answers.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Everyone should just get a benchmade freek and a bottle of mineral oil and start living your best life.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Dip Viscous posted:

I have questions but I'm like 60% sure I don't want answers.

april fools

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Looking for recs on a $50-75 folding knife with some sort of lock mechanism and a pocket clip. Bonus if it has a bright handle color option.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

tangy yet delightful posted:

Looking for recs on a $50-75 folding knife with some sort of lock mechanism and a pocket clip. Bonus if it has a bright handle color option.

I’m enjoying my civivi elementum. Blade HQ has a couple bright handle options for $50-$60

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m enjoying my civivi elementum. Blade HQ has a couple bright handle options for $50-$60

Oh I'm liking this option. Looks sleek, other reviews seem positive about it also.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

Ding!

Civivi should have quite a few good options in that range. I love the wood handled Pintail I have. As stated, the Elementum is also pretty great for the money.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Civivi makes great stuff at that price. I love jade natural g-10, so you can pick up a qsp Penguin ($55) or a CJRB feldspar ($40) in that range as well that look dope and are super high quality for the price.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ended up ordering the elementum, it's a gift so I'll just hear second hand how liked it was but anything super interesting and I'll report back.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Sounds like were trying to get our hands on some CPM MagnaCut to see if its actually the miracle steel its being touted as.

Its supposed to have the best qualities of 4V, S35VN, and CPM154. Allegedly you can heat treat thin blades of it into mid-60s HRC and not have the brittleness that comes with other steels that are the same thick/hardness.

Im curious how it will be to machine.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.

Fun Shoe

poonchasta posted:

Everyone should just get a benchmade freek and a bottle of mineral oil and start living your best life.

Replace with the Super Freek and Ballistol, and I'm with you. Plus a Terava Skrama, a Silky saw, a Fiskars X7, and a Bradford Guardian 5 ... Oh lord, I'm that guy.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

Ding!

I'm the guy seriously considering a valet style display case for my knives. I'm really trying to reign this poo poo in, but I will absolutely buy a wharncliffe Pro-Tech Malibu instantly if they ever make anymore.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

insularis posted:

Replace with the Super Freek and Ballistol, and I'm with you. Plus a Terava Skrama, a Silky saw, a Fiskars X7, and a Bradford Guardian 5 ... Oh lord, I'm that guy.

I've got a Terava Jakaaripuuko with 5.5“ blade. I like that they offered a lefty sheath. I discovered Dutch Bushcraft Knives a few months ago and that's been guiding a lot of my purchases lately. Check out their videos on the Freek and Jakaaripuuko. Those knives are tough as balls.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

All my fixed blades are in an open cubby on the coffee table. Wife wants me to get a box or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Bandire posted:

I'm the guy seriously considering a valet style display case for my knives.

Oh thank gently caress, it's not just me!