Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Bandire posted:

I'm the guy seriously considering a valet style display case for my knives.

If burglars break in, you could recreate the knife fighting/throwing scene in the knife museum from John Wick 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

poonchasta posted:

If burglars break in, you could recreate the knife fighting/throwing scene in the knife museum from John Wick 3.

Apparently I was drunker than I thought when I saw this movie, because I have no memory of this scene. Time for a rewatch!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hayden posted:

Apparently I was drunker than I thought when I saw this movie, because I have no memory of this scene. Time for a rewatch!

It was in the first 20 minutes. You mustíve been blasted.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

I remember the scene with the random... Sheikh? Where John cuts off his finger, the scenes with Halle Berry and the dogs (rad) and the last shootout / twist / "are ya pissed off John?"

I'd been hanging out with my hard drinking FIL and my wife all day, we were in a theatre that served alcohol, and we were ubering.

I was smashed.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Quick Question -

I found this in my Uncle's things. He was apparently a Boy Scout for less than a year, so this isn't a sentimental item.

Is this salvageable? I'm not really looking for a project, but my father mentioned they always thought this knife was really cool. The main blade is easy to pick out and the awl/bottle opener both have actual liner locks. But they have to be pried out with something else.

If you were going to try to save this knife, what would be your mode of attack?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I don't know much about these but first thing I'd do is completely disassemble it and start cleaning up the metal.

How to disassemble and reassemble that is another task all together I imagine. There's got to be some videos out there with a how-to.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If you don't want to go as far as drilling out the pins, put your oil of choice into the pivots, let it soak for about an hour, then blow it out with compressed air. Repeat millions of times. Scrub out the inside with a paper towel wrapped around an old credit card or something, followed by dozens of paper towels covered in aluminum polish.

I'm not an expert, but buying old promo knives from flea markets and cleaning them up is something I enjoy.

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core

Captain Log posted:

Quick Question -

I found this in my Uncle's things. He was apparently a Boy Scout for less than a year, so this isn't a sentimental item.

Is this salvageable? I'm not really looking for a project, but my father mentioned they always thought this knife was really cool. The main blade is easy to pick out and the awl/bottle opener both have actual liner locks. But they have to be pried out with something else.

If you were going to try to save this knife, what would be your mode of attack?

I've got the exact same knife, but in somewhat better condition.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty skeptical of those pins coming out. I'll probably give it a soak and see how it looks on the other side, then decide.

I appreciate the advice.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

On many inexpensive knives, the bolsters are false and are hollow pieces of metal that have been epoxied over the real pins and it's nearly impossible to take it apart non-destructively.

85% chance that soaking it and working things open and closed will make it work fine.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I have that knife too!

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Hey Worksharp Ken Onion Sharpener havers:

I'm having A Time sharpening my S30V and D2 knives. Do I need to get a stouter belt than what comes with the sharpener? Perhaps a diamond one?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

D2 is p tough to sharpen. s30V, also kinda tough. Dunno about the work sharp specifically.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm having A Time sharpening my S30V and D2 knives. Do I need to get a stouter belt than what comes with the sharpener? Perhaps a diamond one?

have you tested it on kitchen knives yet?

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

Iíve had several pocket knives and multi tools for years, this is a good sampling:

Iíve long wanted something a little more robust and recently treated myself:

I know itís not as special or unique as a lot of blades posted in here but Iím really pleased with it, it certainly scratches the big knife itch I had.

I have a question: the little pamphlet that came with it said to NOT store it in the sheath. Whatís the reason for that? Is that actually something I should avoid?

MarquisDeCarabas fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 11, 2021

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Leather tends to lead to rust over time.

For the Work Sharp question there are tons of belt options for cheap on Amazon. The ones that come with it kind of limit the flexibility of the sharpener. Get one of the leather honing loops with some polishing compound to get impressively finish edges.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

mischief posted:

Leather tends to lead to rust over time.

I should have said: itís a plastic sheath.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

I should have said: it’s a plastic sheath.

Same problem with plastic (Kydex for your knife, I'm guessing) as any other material. The sheath tends to attact moisture and holds it close to the blade. What I do, if possible, is store it on the sheath with the retaining strap snapped over the handle like normal. That might not work with the lip on your sheath. Feel free to smear some vegetable oil or something along the edge.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Capn Beeb posted:

I don't know about the Worksharp in particular, but the lack of progress on D2 tends to lead to encouragement to push harder against the belt. This in turn ends up rounding over the edge. Use the lightest pressure you can use while still being sure the edge is making solid contact and be prepared to spend a while.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

Same problem with plastic (Kydex for your knife, I'm guessing) as any other material. The sheath tends to attact moisture and holds it close to the blade. What I do, if possible, is store it on the sheath with the retaining strap snapped over the handle like normal. That might not work with the lip on your sheath. Feel free to smear some vegetable oil or something along the edge.

Thatíll work, thanks for the help!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've stored knives in leather sheaths for years at a time and had no issues as long as the blade was lightly coated in mineral oil, but climate makes a huge difference.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Mu Zeta posted:

have you tested it on kitchen knives yet?

Yeah, it works great on kitchen knives.

Dip Viscous posted:

I don't know about the Worksharp in particular, but the lack of progress on D2 tends to lead to encouragement to push harder against the belt. This in turn ends up rounding over the edge. Use the lightest pressure you can use while still being sure the edge is making solid contact and be prepared to spend a while.

Yeah I remember the Sharpmaker taking a long time with D2 as well. Kinda wondering if my belts are dirty and need cleaning/replacing.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

Dip Viscous posted:

I've stored knives in leather sheaths for years at a time and had no issues as long as the blade was lightly coated in mineral oil, but climate makes a huge difference.

Good to know. I'm also mostly keeping it in my safe with a couple of these, so I imagine it will be fine:
https://smile.amazon.com/Improved-E...b6-3d7cb06022f2

Edit: I'm going to get some mineral oil, too, just to be responsible. Is there really any difference in mineral oils that claim to be specifically for steel? For example, this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Natural-Ma...e-garden&sr=1-5

Is ten times more expensive than this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Mineral-Cu...den&sr=1-4&th=1

MarquisDeCarabas fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 13, 2021

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

Ding!

Bandire posted:

I'm the guy seriously considering a valet style display case for my knives.

Welp.

It's a Drop Cache Display Valet. Kinda pricey but I like it. I'm not really a watch person, so I'm not sure what to do there. I need more fancy things to put in the box.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Finally, the luxury dessert warrior deserves.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Bandire posted:

Welp.

It's a Drop Cache Display Valet. Kinda pricey but I like it. I'm not really a watch person, so I'm not sure what to do there. I need more fancy things to put in the box.

Maybe a copper-plated Space Pen? Easy on the wallet, good in the hand, and forms a pleasant patina if used daily. Hygenic, too.

Comedy option: gold-plated 10mm socket.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

Ding!

madeintaipei posted:

Maybe a copper-plated Space Pen? Easy on the wallet, good in the hand, and forms a pleasant patina if used daily. Hygenic, too.

Comedy option: gold-plated 10mm socket.

I was thinking something similar since I don't have a remotely nice pen. I just bought a "reasonably" priced Fordite pen off Etsy. That will do nicely.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Bandire posted:

I was thinking something similar since I don't have a remotely nice pen. I just bought a "reasonably" priced Fordite pen off Etsy. That will do nicely.

We don't use the r-word ITT. Fordite is cool as poo poo, though.

As to something nice that you might want to stash in there so it doesn't go walkabout : may I recommend Concord nail clippers? It sounds silly, but I guard mine closely. After using a proper set of clippers, there is no going back. Plus, you'll see them every time you grab the keys and keep your nails in tip-top shape. No, I will not divulge where mine are kept. (It's not up my butt, btw.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Come on now.

Fountain Pen.

That's the classy way to carry a writing implement, unless you're specifically having to write on a lot of harsh surfaces.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Edit: I'm going to get some mineral oil, too, just to be responsible. Is there really any difference in mineral oils that claim to be specifically for steel? For example, this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Natural-Ma...e-garden&sr=1-5

Just get regular mineral oil from the pharmacy at your grocery store. I collect antique Japanese swords and it is what all the collectors use.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

Applesnots posted:

Just get regular mineral oil from the pharmacy at your grocery store. I collect antique Japanese swords and it is what all the collectors use.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice, y'all.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Bandire posted:

Welp.

Get an old non collector grade morgan silver dollar just for panache. They sell for spot price. So cheapish.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Bandire posted:

Welp.

If that had a proper wallet spot, I'd have bought one already.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Honestly, I like the Drop valet. It's a little too modern aesthetic for my tastes, but it's got clean lines and I appreciate the glass top. The Olamic looks particularly sharp in that style of case, I don't know why. I normally don't like their knives, but here it looks good.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

Ding!

Applesnots posted:

Get an old non collector grade morgan silver dollar just for panache. They sell for spot price. So cheapish.

The idea was to get everything I use on a semi-regular basis all in one place. My earbud case fits nicely in one of the watch slots thankfully.

Captain Log posted:

If that had a proper wallet spot, I'd have bought one already.

Freeee yourself and get a Ridge!

Morality_Police posted:

Honestly, I like the Drop valet. It's a little too modern aesthetic for my tastes, but it's got clean lines and I appreciate the glass top. The Olamic looks particularly sharp in that style of case, I don't know why. I normally don't like their knives, but here it looks good.

I tend to lean modern in my tastes, so I dig it. I had been eyeing Olamic's stuff for a while and nothing came along that quite did it for me. I was thinking about requesting a specific build but couldn't make up my mind. Then this one popped up on BladeHQ's new arrivals page and I snapped it up. The entropic finish is hard to photograph and washes out dark in excessive light, but it is really pretty when you catch it right.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bandire posted:

Welp.

I was looking at the exact same one after it was mentioned. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Bandire posted:

Freeee yourself and get a Ridge!

Story Time about How To Better Carry Wallets -

Ever since losing my wallet in an armed robbery, I carry two.

A fat one for cash and stupid overflow cards, then a tiny card wallet with my ID, debit cards, insurance cards, CCW, etc. The tiny one sits over my P3AT, turning the outline into a block.

When my poo poo got taken from the barrel end of a Taurus, I hit the bad luck lottery -

- I had a meeting with a lawyer earlier in the day, so my social security card was in there.
- Due to another meeting, I had $240 in cash on me.
- My CCW was in my car but I had my empty holster on my belt. Why? Because I'd been in a NO GUNS bar (not drinking).
- The reporting police officer who took the report was a person I'd fired from a restaurant a decade earlier.

From there on out, I keep my poo poo on me in layers. I even have a dummy wallet in my bag, with an expired license and debit cards. Once you get struck by an anvil, it feels less silly.