Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Bandire posted:

The idea was to get everything I use on a semi-regular basis all in one place. My earbud case fits nicely in one of the watch slots thankfully.

Never know when you need to do a coin flip. I keep one in my pocket, have a tough decesion? Flip a coin and let fate decide. That is how I ended up with a Uberti SAA instead of a Barretta M9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Applesnots posted:

Never know when you need to do a coin flip. I keep one in my pocket, have a tough decesion? Flip a coin and let fate decide. That is how I ended up with a Uberti SAA instead of a Barretta M9.

Well that's Sophie's Choice right there. If only Sophie had a coin.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

You know you could have become a member of SPACE FORCE by buying this version of this right

I'm a goober who doesn't like gun and preferred the all black. It was, though, my lurking of this thread and seeing that exact knife posted that prompted me to finally buy mine :p

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

https://i.imgur.com/ezmRvSq.gifv

Got me a Boker Kwaiken OTF to scratch the auto otf itch I've had for a little while. I've never handled another otf to compare it to, but it sure is fun to play with!

Final Blog Entry fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 15, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Final Blog Entry posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ezmRvSq.gifv

Got me a Boker Kwaiken OTF to scratch the auto otf itch I've had for a little while. I've never handled another otf to compare it to, but it sure is fun to play with!

Yes. Very, very yes.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Final Blog Entry posted:

...adds to cart.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

Ding!

I love my Microtech. The sound a good OTF makes is so satisfying.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Boy Scout Knife - Part Two

Here is what I've done so far -

Step One - Mineral Oil Joint Soak

Step Two - Bath in isopropyl alcohol mixed with water and salt

Step Three - Light, non-abrasive scrubbing

Two and three have been repeated a few time. Here is before and after -

Before -

After -

The photographs don't look like much, but a ton of gunk came out with the soaks and scrubbing.

Should I be stepping up to 000 Steel Wool? Or is this a lost cause?

My goal isn't to make it spotless, but to get it nice enough to give my Dad as a keepsake of his recently passed brother.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Ebay has a lot of random knives with dollar starts that are mostly made in Pakistan. I'll lowball these auctions with ten bucks when something looks cool. If the quality is "meh" I just resell them and make my cash back, normally more.

I'm happy with this eleven dollars shipped condition -

This sucker is HEAVY. But good heavy. While I don't think I got "real" Damascus for eleven bucks, it isn't the cheap rear end printed pattern you see. If it is printed on the blade, it's well done.

But I have a question -

The edge is pretty lovely, being ragged in a few places. With ??? grade steel, any recommendations for sharpening it? I do all my pocket knives freehand. I like this knife enough to pay five dollars (after Covid) to get it sharpened well if I need to. Is this something I can fix by eyeballing? Or worth five bucks done by a pro?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I like the chonky no-nonsense design. But looking at it, you should definitely add a sharpening choil. You can do it yourself with a file, but I think it would be worth the :5bux: to have a pro do it and put a good edge on it, so you'll have an easier time maintaining the edge yourself.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Ebay has a lot of random knives with dollar starts that are mostly made in Pakistan. I'll lowball these auctions with ten bucks when something looks cool. If the quality is "meh" I just resell them and make my cash back, normally more.

I'm happy with this eleven dollars shipped condition -

This sucker is HEAVY. But good heavy. While I don't think I got "real" Damascus for eleven bucks, it isn't the cheap rear end printed pattern you see. If it is printed on the blade, it's well done.

But I have a question -

The edge is pretty lovely, being ragged in a few places. With ??? grade steel, any recommendations for sharpening it? I do all my pocket knives freehand. I like this knife enough to pay five dollars (after Covid) to get it sharpened well if I need to. Is this something I can fix by eyeballing? Or worth five bucks done by a pro?

If it were me, I'd stay coarse. It seems like for me softer steel and poorly heat treated steel don't take a good polish. Like, stick to an extra coarse or coarse DMT or coarse Crystolon or India or whatever you have. Strop on a fine stone or even just your coarse stone and focus on completely removing the burr and just having a really clean yet coarse apex. Maybe run it a couple passes over whatever you use for a strop, but less would be more with that. If you want a number, I wouldn't go higher than 400 mesh or about 20 micron, but I wouldn't be rule out staying at 120 or 220 mesh either.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

I've been using a Kershaw link for a few years as my work knife (opening boxes, cutting packing straps, cutting plastic and cardboard) for a few years, and it's served me well. It's definitely seen better days in its 3 or so years of use. Am I better off investing in sharpening it and getting the appropriate tools to do that, or should I invest in a new knife, and at some point down the road get my hands on sharpening equipment?

I have access to fairly basic tools at work and I'm no stranger to a honing rod, but it's past the point that normie kitchen stuff will handle.

muike fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 23, 2021

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Pre-COVID if you paid shipping you could send it in and Kershaw would sharpen it for free. Not sure if they do it anymore, but it might be worth it to look into.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

muike posted:

I've been using a Kershaw link for a few years as my work knife (opening boxes, cutting packing straps, cutting plastic and cardboard) for a few years, and it's served me well. It's definitely seen better days in its 3 or so years of use. Am I better off investing in sharpening it and getting the appropriate tools to do that, or should I invest in a new knife, and at some point down the road get my hands on sharpening equipment?

I have access to fairly basic tools at work and I'm no stranger to a honing rod, but it's past the point that normie kitchen stuff will handle.

Get one of these. It'll sharpen drat near anything you have. It'll even put a good edge on your dull kitchen knives.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Sharpmaker is also a good basic option.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Dogen posted:

Sharpmaker is also a good basic option.

Especially if your knife has any kind of recurve shape on it. I refuse to buy anything with even a slight recurve.

Also, why don't more knives have a sharpening choil on them? If bloody Swiss Army Knives have them then all knives should have them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I snagged another one, from a seller called AJ Customs.

I messaged them beforehand, asking where they are made. The seller told me the US, but the typed English was a little wonky. He or she could have English as a second language, though. Shipped out of Maryland, at least.

Regardless of all that, I loving love this dagger I just got. All metal, all awesome.

I believe this listed for $40 and the person took my offer at $30. With this specific maker, I'd feel safe buying more random "Damascus" stuff.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Last weekend, when I turned in the texture sprayer to the hardware store, I bought a Stihl-branded pocket flash/flood light and a pocket knife. It's a cheap Chinese thing with a blade of magical "STAINLESS" steel, but it has a pocket clip and it's a lockback knife.

It's kinda neat.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

post the fukken pics

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Alright! (Assuming you're posting to me.)

I'm terrible about impulse buying. If they sold revolvers in the checkout lanes at grocery stores, I'd have more than the too many revolvers I already have. But a pocket knife from a company that in no uncertain terms did not manufacture the knife? Too much fun to pass up. Cheap pocket knives aren't too shabby most of the time, as long as your expectations are low. This lil' guy has already opened some packages and stuff, and it helped with removing the masking tape when I was done painting the baseboards in my house over the last week.

That light to the left was also on sale, right there on the other side of the rental cash register. It's a "penlight," and you can tell because of the pen clip. But, it's much larger than most. I may get a shirt with a pocket just to put this light on it when I'm doing stuff. As a penlight, it's OK enough--not as good as the AA battery Maglites, but penlights rarely are. The real neat thing is the flood light this thing has. It's surprisingly bright. I can use it to wash my dark-rear end bedroom with enough light to read by. This'll come in handy when I go camping.

Close-ups of the markings on the blade:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

There are no men like me. There's only me.

Anyone got any recs for budget knives around 5 inches or slightly smaller?

I have a Spyderco Squeak that I very much enjoy but I'd like something I wouldn't mind losing if I'm out on a stroll or that can just live in a bag.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

I have a Spyderco Squeak that I very much enjoy but I'd like something I wouldn't mind losing if I'm out on a stroll or that can just live in a bag.

Maybe one of the smaller stainless Opinels? I find the lightness and relatively fat handle great for moving around in light pants. It's unlikely to bounce out of the pocket. Nonthreatening, legal to carry most places, and less than $10. It doesn't lock, but neither does the Squeak. The only problem I've had with non-locking Opinels is the pivot being too loose, easily fixed by a few taps of a hammer.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Kershaw Shuffle (original or the II, though the II is noticeably bigger). Comes in tons of colors, great ergos, cheap as hell.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

twenty-six characters long

TheKingslayer posted:

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm a broken record at this point, but the Ka Bar Dozier checks all your boxes, is pretty drat cheap, and you picked a good time, because they've got a lot of colours out right now. I don't think you'd be a fan of the Mini-Dozier, but it's been my favourite knife for like, six years now.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

Ganzo knives, they're my go-to cheap but decent brand. Rocked one as an edc for years until I swapped it out for something smaller/easier for pocket carry.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

TheKingslayer posted:

Eafengrow is amazing quality for close to no money.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Kershaw Shuffle (original or the II, though the II is noticeably bigger). Comes in tons of colors, great ergos, cheap as hell.

The Kershaw Shuffle II is my EDC most of the time, when I don't feel the need for my Victorinox Spartan or Tinker. That said...

I'm a broken record at this point, but the Ka Bar Dozier checks all your boxes, is pretty drat cheap, and you picked a good time, because they've got a lot of colours out right now. I don't think you'd be a fan of the Mini-Dozier, but it's been my favourite knife for like, six years now.

That does look like a good knife. Lots of fun. Might get one. Is there any big advantage over getting the D2 variant instead of the Stainless?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Captain Log posted:

I snagged another one, from a seller called AJ Customs.

I messaged them beforehand, asking where they are made. The seller told me the US, but the typed English was a little wonky. He or she could have English as a second language, though. Shipped out of Maryland, at least.

Regardless of all that, I loving love this dagger I just got. All metal, all awesome.

I believe this listed for $40 and the person took my offer at $30. With this specific maker, I'd feel safe buying more random "Damascus" stuff.

I am becoming more and more impressed with the weighty, awesome knife. Impressed enough to post a link to AJ's Customs -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353245179572

For the record, asking price on this was $40 shipped and I talked him down to $30. I've tried similar deals on other knives without as much luck, but the seller seems pretty comfortable with at least a 5% discount on most things in his store.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

tarlibone posted:

That does look like a good knife. Lots of fun. Might get one. Is there any big advantage over getting the D2 variant instead of the Stainless?

I don't have personal experience with D2, but the early feedback seems to be it's harder to sharpen and more prone to corrosion, which makes me say "no". I'm very much about budget steels in EDC folders, and AUS-8 is great for that purpose.

Don't get me wrong. The Dozier probably won't blow you away (except for the price). What you do get is a budget package with some subtle features that all come together very well, imo.

Action-Bastard posted:

Ganzo knives, they're my go-to cheap but decent brand. Rocked one as an edc for years until I swapped it out for something smaller/easier for pocket carry.

Ganzo knives are really inexpensive too, and a great way to try-before-you-buy, because they copy lots of popular designs! The screws they use are really cheap (most of mine broke or stripped easily), but if you're not taking apart your knife at all, it's fine.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 25, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I don't have personal experience with D2, but the early feedback seems to be it's harder to sharpen and more prone to corrosion, which makes me say "no".

I have had absolutely no issues with my QSP Penguin, Civivi Exarch or Ganzo/Firebird FH41. Obviously they're not as easy to sharpen as carbon steel or something, but you also don't have to do it nearly as often. No issues with corrosion either.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

Worth noting is that lots of Ganzo knives feature the axis lock, which is my second favorite way to open and close a knife after auto OTF knives.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

I have had absolutely no issues with my QSP Penguin, Civivi Exarch or Ganzo/Firebird FH41. Obviously they're not as easy to sharpen as carbon steel or something, but you also don't have to do it nearly as often. No issues with corrosion either.

Yeah, I didn't mean to poo poo on D2. It's popular for a reason. It's just doesn't seem like anything I'd want to pay a premium for.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I've been chatting back and forth with a Fast Tech rep about the whole "knives to the US" thing. They recommend placing a small order first, because they've been having knives to America get seized.

I'm still going to put an order with them and see what happens, because the prices are rock bottom. But has anyone else had these issues with ordering from China?

I wish I could just drop a couple bills and get a box of knives. The ones I don't like could go to Ebay.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

tarlibone posted:

Get one of these. It'll sharpen drat near anything you have. It'll even put a good edge on your dull kitchen knives.

Lansky also makes a Sharpmaker ripoff that's probably 70% as good at 25% of the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-Turn-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B000B8FW0E

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Captain Log posted:

Quick Question -

I found this in my Uncle's things. He was apparently a Boy Scout for less than a year, so this isn't a sentimental item.

Is this salvageable? I'm not really looking for a project, but my father mentioned they always thought this knife was really cool. The main blade is easy to pick out and the awl/bottle opener both have actual liner locks. But they have to be pried out with something else.

If you were going to try to save this knife, what would be your mode of attack?

It's funny, because in the pictures it doesn't look different at all. But I've cleaned so much gunk and rust out of this sucker. After giving it soaks in isopropyl alcohol for an hour, the water is red.

I think I've got out about 75% of the active, fixable corrosion. Is there any way I could get the blade shining? Even if it involved a Dremel?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Maybe disassemble it, if you have the ability. Then a small electrolysis set up. Then, you could probably polish it, but I don't know how shiny it would ever get. That might ruin whatever value it has is a collectible, but it might also make it look really good. There are a lot of videos online where people take absolute junk, things like pocket knives, and turn it into some pretty amazing looking stuff. But watch out, because those videos are a rabbit hole, and before you know it you're going to be watching some guy who doesn't speak at all ever fixing Tonka after Tonka after Tonka.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I got that Dozier in blue with a shiny stainless steel blade. It's pretty sharp right out of the box. It's nice and light, the handle is easy to grip, and it's bigger than my Shuffle II. I could carry this, especially if I know opening bottles isn't going to be something I need to worry about.

It's a little harder to open one-handed, but I'm getting the hang of it. And I love the lockback. I have a nice Buck in my camping gear that's in amazing shape (and thus probably shouldn't be in my camping gear), and back when I was a kid it seems like all common locking folding knives were lockback. I can't fold it one-handed like I can the Shuffle II, but that's OK.

My only regret was that I couldn't use it to open the packaging it came in.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

tarlibone posted:

I can't fold it one-handed like I can the Shuffle II, but that's OK.

This how I one-handed close all of my lock backs, including my Dozier and Buck 112.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzu90gN8PGk

If you want to go old school, depress the lock bar and try to press the spine of the blade against your thigh but gently caress up and accidentally stab your thigh instead.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

tarlibone posted:

I got that Dozier in blue with a shiny stainless steel blade. It's pretty sharp right out of the box. It's nice and light, the handle is easy to grip, and it's bigger than my Shuffle II. I could carry this, especially if I know opening bottles isn't going to be something I need to worry about.

It's a little harder to open one-handed, but I'm getting the hang of it. And I love the lockback. I have a nice Buck in my camping gear that's in amazing shape (and thus probably shouldn't be in my camping gear), and back when I was a kid it seems like all common locking folding knives were lockback. I can't fold it one-handed like I can the Shuffle II, but that's OK.

My only regret was that I couldn't use it to open the packaging it came in.

Hell yeah dawg. I've been digging my full-sized Dozier, but I kinda wish I went for the studded version for the same reason you mentioned--opening it takes a little getting used to. They're so easy to clean and maintain it's awesome.

Closing a lockback will become so natural you won't even think about it. I push the lockbar in with my thumb, and laterally push the blade closed with my index finger, so it doesn't jump away and is fully controlled. Maybe I have monkey fingers.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019