Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Back in my day we had to use an electric stovetop and a couple of butter knives for knife hits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The lawyer who picks the locks tested a "safe" whose primary selling point is that it's slash resistant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3EdGpEQV58

Ha.

Black Mamba looks like a decent knife. And it better be, since it retails for one third of a revolver.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:1

No loving way!!!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

tarlibone posted:

The lawyer who picks the locks tested a "safe" whose primary selling point is that it's slash resistant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3EdGpEQV58

Ha.

Black Mamba looks like a decent knife. And it better be, since it retails for one third of a revolver.

it says SLASH resistant he CUT that's not fair he's supposed to flail at it with the knife

Reminds me of this kinda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_vvI26NnwE

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Maybe it's designed to keep Axl's heroin safe from 20% of Guns & Roses, and nothing else? I mean, as long as it's not shaped like a groupie's pants or a guitar case, the odds are better than average that Slash might not be able to get into it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Slash resistant foam, I should be selling poo poo like that. Àdd on microchip resistant and vagina scented.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Does anyone else get the SMKW catalogue? Because I just got my first one in decade and hoo boy, does it have some awful poo poo in it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Captain Log posted:

Does anyone else get the SMKW catalogue? Because I just got my first one in decade and hoo boy, does it have some awful poo poo in it.

Worse than BudK?

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Everyone should watch the new Dutch Bushcraft Knives video. They have finally unveiled the bushcraft knife they have spent 2 years designing. They took the best attributes from their favorite knives and legit have made the best bushcrafting knife in the world. I'm debating whether to back the Kickstarter and get this knife or not. It's about 425 American dollars. I'm gonna wait a little bit and see if new rewards or stretch goals pop up.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

poonchasta posted:

Everyone should watch the new Dutch Bushcraft Knives video. They have finally unveiled the bushcraft knife they have spent 2 years designing. They took the best attributes from their favorite knives and legit have made the best bushcrafting knife in the world. I'm debating whether to back the Kickstarter and get this knife or not. It's about 425 American dollars. I'm gonna wait a little bit and see if new rewards or stretch goals pop up.

Is good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGO0-g-wW0A

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I don't need it but I want it. gotta love it when nerds max out their nerd powers and do something awesome

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That really does look like a sick knife and if I was a big channel fan of theirs or something I'd probably buy it. But as I am without attachment to them I think the price is too high for me to splurge and have another bushcraft type knife to sit on my desk

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Thinking about the long winded rant I read on a bushcraft forum about how anytime somebody designs a bushcraft knife what they're really making is a Campfire Making Knife

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Whenever I see stuff like this, I always ask myself what about it makes it worth 400 bucks more than a Mora? The convex edge and micarta handle are nice, sure, but it just doesn't seem worth it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a mid tech knife so not mass produced. Basically a semi custom knife so $400 is normal for those.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I so badly wish I had a reason to use cool knives. But with how expensive a gun hobby can be, I can only justify so much for a knife.

Then there is that screeching OCD part of my brain that never wants to mark up a knife unless it is a specifically dedicated EDC knife.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

Lansky also makes a Sharpmaker ripoff that's probably 70% as good at 25% of the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-Turn-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B000B8FW0E

This is what I ended up buying and it's a really good piece of equipment. Unfortunately I let my knife go too long and the coarse rods weren't quite enough to get it back up to razor sharpness but definitely made an improvement. So if anyone needs something just for upkeep, the lansky kit is awesome.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

twenty-six characters long

Beardless posted:

Whenever I see stuff like this, I always ask myself what about it makes it worth 400 bucks more than a Mora? The convex edge and micarta handle are nice, sure, but it just doesn't seem worth it.

I'm like this with folders too. Budget steels with appropriate edge geometry are all I need.

I'd be all-over a (decent) pliers-based multitool that was priced like a Mora or a Ka-Bar Dozier. Victorinox 'aint bad, though.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

I just got a physical letter from BladeHQ about how they had a data breach affecting customer transaction information from Jan 7th to Mar 22nd. Haven't gotten anything on my email and there's nothing on their social media pages that I can see about it, so I'm reposting it here. Guess I shouldn't have bought that Dozier D2 that was on sale.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm like this with folders too. Budget steels with appropriate edge geometry are all I need.

I'd be all-over a (decent) pliers-based multitool that was priced like a Mora or a Ka-Bar Dozier. Victorinox 'aint bad, though.

Yeah... there's a lot of machining that goes in to multitools. Trying to get them that cheap will only lead to a lot of very lovely (and useless) tools.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

C.M. Kruger posted:

I just got a physical letter from BladeHQ about how they had a data breach affecting customer transaction information from Jan 7th to Mar 22nd. Haven't gotten anything on my email and there's nothing on their social media pages that I can see about it, so I'm reposting it here. Guess I shouldn't have bought that Dozier D2 that was on sale.

I bought from them in Dec and April.

boris_iaminvincible.gif

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

grack posted:

Yeah... there's a lot of machining that goes in to multitools. Trying to get them that cheap will only lead to a lot of very lovely (and useless) tools.

A man can dream.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

muike posted:

This is what I ended up buying and it's a really good piece of equipment. Unfortunately I let my knife go too long and the coarse rods weren't quite enough to get it back up to razor sharpness but definitely made an improvement. So if anyone needs something just for upkeep, the lansky kit is awesome.

Glad it worked out. If you need something more coarse, you can wrap the rods in sandpaper and secure it with a binder clip or something.

My solution for this at work was to carry a Leatherman Micra and tiny regular pliers.

https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-RT24CVS-Cresent-Tongue-Groove/dp/B01CDJCPUI/

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

Ding!

For those of you that missed out on prior donut themed knives:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Victorinox-Classic-SD-Swiss-Army--115113

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I'm not sure if it's as fun. The Dessert Warrior was a "tactical knife" themed in something silly and--OH MY GOD

IT'S A LONG JOHN

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm not sure if it's as fun. The Dessert Warrior was a "tactical knife" themed in something silly and--OH MY GOD

IT'S A LONG JOHN

I see an eclair.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Every donut has at least 2 or 3 different names depending on culture and region

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

I've never heard "long john" referring to a pastry and that absolutely ain't an éclair to me, let's pivot to pastry chat.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

A long john is a yeast doughnut that is long and usually filled with Bavarian creme or some other poo poo

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

titties posted:

A long john is a yeast doughnut that is long and usually filled with Bavarian creme or some other poo poo
This plus google has told me that what I call a "maple bar" is apparently a subspecies of long john. I definitely had no term for a non-maple maple bar.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Elysiume posted:

This plus google has told me that what I call a "maple bar" is apparently a subspecies of long john. I definitely had no term for a non-maple maple bar.

I don't like the maple one. The chocolate frosted Boston creme is ok but I'm a simple person and mostly i just want a lemon or blueberry filled or a regular raised glazed

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

When I read “Long John” my brain saw “Jimmy John” and then proclaimed “I guess that knife is supposed to look like a depressing overpriced fast food cold cut sub sandwich. Yeah, that’s it.”

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:1

BladeHQ having some kind of sale right now. They're selling the Cold Steel SRK for $40 and I'm mighty tempted.
Do I have a (practical) need for a massive fixed blade knife? OF COURSE NOT!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Is there a sharpening system worth spending money on under about $100 that can handle kitchen knives, pocket knives, and tomahawks, or should I just invest in a few stones and practice.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

I mean one of the recently mentioned lansky or spyderco things work well on most any knife. Axe you need a grinder, bastard file or particularly shaped stone.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

I got a Sharpmaker... Oh gently caress me, about nine years ago. I hated it for about a year, couldn't sharpen anything with it. Then I finally listened to this thread and watched the DVD that came with it. Something clicked and all the sudden I was sharpening everything I could get my hands on. I eventually sprung for the diamond ultra coarse rods to reprofile a knife, and then the ultra fine rods to get even sharper. All in I was around... $80? Maybe $100?

I love the thing, and use it on all my pocket and kitchen knives. I'd try it on a hatchet, and expect it to work, although I think the angle would be too steep for that and would much rather use something like this.

All that being said, the base Sharpmaker is $75 on Amazon these days. Add in the diamond and ultra fine rods, and you're in Work Sharp territory, price wise.

So while I really like my Sharpmaker, I'd say either go for a cheaper 5 stone Lansky or spend the extra cash on a Work Sharp, which I think is set up for hatchets and small tools from the factory.

Hayden fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 7, 2021

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Internet Wizard posted:

Is there a sharpening system worth spending money on under about $100 that can handle kitchen knives, pocket knives, and tomahawks, or should I just invest in a few stones and practice.

You should be able to find a Ken Onion Work Sharp around that price with the tool attachment. I use it on kitchen knives, pockets, axes, and other edged hand tools. Skip the official belt packages and order third party to save some more money.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm not a huge fan of the sharpmaker because I find it really easy to round the tip of knives. I guess you need really steady hands but I find it slipping a lot and getting a blunt tip.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X9KU3GO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This Work Sharp is my favorite and handles my scissors, kitchen, and folders.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have a work sharp guided sharpening system and I’ve literally never used it because for some reason right after I bought it I went insane and bought like $500 of wicked edge stuff. I should probably try it out. I think there’s a fair amount of value in learning how to hold an edge at the right angle manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Would this be the place to post knifes to trade, or is there another thread for that?