Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

QuantumNinja posted:

Would this be the place to post knifes to trade, or is there another thread for that?

Someone ask our mod. Typically there has to be a posting for the deal elsewhere, but I don't know how that applies to knives.

Sharpening Talk -- I'm not one for being able to put a microscope perfect edge on a knife. Most of my experience comes from being a bored kid with a single stone and kitchens. I still say the best method for freehand sharpening is to buy a Victorinox paring knife and use it for practice. You can make those shaving sharp and they cost gently caress all, so you can make mistakes.

One of these. If I only took two knives out of my bag for a full day's prep, it was this exact knife and a French six inch Chef's knife. - https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-6...ps%2C218&sr=8-4

Edit - Posted deals chat in the knife thread.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Captain Log posted:

Sharpening Talk -- I'm not one for being able to put a microscope perfect edge on a knife. Most of my experience comes from being a bored kid with a single stone and kitchens. I still say the best method for freehand sharpening is to buy a Victorinox paring knife and use it for practice. You can make those shaving sharp and they cost gently caress all, so you can make mistakes.

Yeah same, as in I bought some stones and tried sharpening my kitchen knives. At some point I got pretty good at it. Later I added a strop for the finishing touch.

Basic water stones in 240, 1000 and 3000 grit are what I use. I freehand the angle, one hand's fingers on the blade push while the other hand grips the handle and controls the angle. I always sharpen edge following/dragging, get a good burr going before flipping the knife over. Once I finish on the 3000 grit, I strop until the burr is gone and no longer roughs up the surface.

I don't care about getting perfect exact angles or mirror finishes. I don't do micro-surgery with my knives, so why bother?

For utility knives and other tools for rough use, I go straight from 240 grit to the strop. Still shaving sharp, but bites better into ropes and stuff.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

QuantumNinja posted:

Would this be the place to post knifes to trade, or is there another thread for that?

The rule of thumb for TFR is that we don't do business here, but if you want to link some off-site* stuff go for it as long as you aren't being annoying with it. Check the OP of the stickied classifieds thread for a deeper breakdown, but that's the tl;dr.

*Note that we also have the SA Mart forum. Guns are no-go there, but I don't know how they feel about knives. Probably OK? PM one of the mods for that place to ask them about that one.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

There have been a few knives for sale on SA Mart in the past few months (and actually there’s a stickied post with some leatherman tools at the top of the page) so I think that kind of stuff is alright...but probably wouldn’t hurt to double check.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The rule of thumb for TFR is that we don't do business here, but if you want to link some off-site* stuff go for it as long as you aren't being annoying with it. Check the OP of the stickied classifieds thread for a deeper breakdown, but that's the tl;dr.

*Note that we also have the SA Mart forum. Guns are no-go there, but I don't know how they feel about knives. Probably OK? PM one of the mods for that place to ask them about that one.

Thanks for clarifying! I think the classifieds thread is was I was looking for, I just didn't want to go posting knives there before checking.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 8, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

QuantumNinja posted:

Thanks for clarifying! I think the classifieds thread is was I was looking for, I just didn't want to go posting knives there before checking.

I'd still crosspost any knives for sale or trade here. I know a lot of happy goons, on both ends, from knife swaps and sales.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I guess this can go here.
I love fire axes and hello kitty.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

twenty-six characters long

Well I finally ran into this problem with Canadian Customs:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/cn-ad/cn18-01-eng.html posted:

2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT's recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:

a. knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and
b. It includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.

My girlfriend got me a knife subscription for Christmas. Only problem is they ship from the US. The first one showed up okay, but the other two have been held up. Finally, we got a notice that the first one was classified as "prohibited", citing Criminal Code 84.1; "1 x centrifugal knife".

We reached out to the company, and they indicated they're aware of the problem, refunded us, and indicated that they'll probably start only shipping fixed blades to Canada because they've had so many problems. They didn't say what model they were, just that they weren't automatic, and were technically allowed under Canadian guidelines.

I'm blaming Canada! gently caress you Canada!

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 12, 2021

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Well I finally ran into this problem with Canadian Customs:

My girlfriend got me a knife subscription for Christmas. Only problem is they ship from the US. The first one showed up okay, but the other two have been held up. Finally, we got a notice that the first one was classified as "prohibited", citing Criminal Code 84.1; "1 x centrifugal knife".

We reached out to the company, and they indicated they're aware of the problem, refunded us, and indicated that they'll probably start only shipping fixed blades to Canada because they've had so many problems. They didn't say what model they were, just that they weren't automatic, and were technically allowed under Canadian guidelines.

I'm blaming Canada! gently caress you Canada!

A) that sucks rear end

B) what knife subscription?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Snowmankilla posted:

B) what knife subscription?

Knife Subscription Club. There's a few different ones out there though.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Anyone have experience with the Leatherman Free T4?

Looking for primarily a knife + some other utility that can go in the pocket rather than a whole-rear end multitool that needs to go in a sheath.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Guys... I finally took the plunge and ordered a Sebenza. This is the only time I've felt blessed to be left handed, since Bladehq only had lefty Sebenzas in stock. I'll see you all on the other side.

Edit: It's a large lefty Sebenza 31. Plain with no fancy inlays or scales or damascus steel since that stuff adds a minimum of a couple hundo.

poonchasta fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 18, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

S45 steel ?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

poonchasta posted:

Guys... I finally took the plunge and ordered a Sebenza. This is the only time I've felt blessed to be left handed, since Bladehq only had lefty Sebenzas in stock. I'll see you all on the other side.

Edit: It's a large lefty Sebenza 31. Plain with no fancy inlays or scales or damascus steel since that stuff adds a minimum of a couple hundo.
It's so rare and nice when being a lefty actually works out. Congrats and enjoy.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Mu Zeta posted:

S45 steel ?

S35. When I make a decision this brash and impulsive, I have to do it right away. If I spent time hunting down s45 or waited for some lead time I would probably realize that I don't need a 450 dollar knife.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Speaking of brash and impulsive:

I decided that I wanted a 3" or smaller knife to carry around town. Went to my local outdoors-y store, and tried a few knives in-hand.
It came down to 3 Benchmades: Mini Bugout, Valet, and Mini Emissary.
I ended up going with the Mini Emissary.
The assisted open is crazy: it really KICKS and feels like an auto. Really digging it so far!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

Ding!

BladeHQ has more shredded carbon fiber/metal flake/resin handle knives from We/Civivi. I love the copper flake We Kitefin I bought last year. These are Civivi Imperium front flippers. I grabbed one with silver flakes because I can't help myself.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--CIVIVI-Imperium-Liner-Lock-Knife--123527
https://www.bladehq.com/item--CIVIVI-Imperium-Liner-Lock-Knife--123528
https://www.bladehq.com/item--CIVIVI-Imperium-Liner-Lock-Knife--123529

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Got my box of Smith and Wesson knives. All nine of them shipped.

When my cheap knife loving rear end gets a huge box of knives and feels no excitement, it says something about the brand.

I'm still salty the karambit sold out before I could order.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Got my box of Smith and Wesson knives. All nine of them shipped.

When my cheap knife loving rear end gets a huge box of knives and feels no excitement, it says something about the brand.

I'm still salty the karambit sold out before I could order.
Yeah... my first knife ever was a S&W "Swat" folder. What a piece of junk. Super heavy, and made of the finest Chinesium.
It was also my ONLY knife for 10 years or so, and never failed me. I guess even $20 gas station knives are pretty good. Just goes to show how absurd this hobby is, with respect to diminishing returns.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

betterinsodapop posted:

Yeah... my first knife ever was a S&W "Swat" folder. What a piece of junk. Super heavy, and made of the finest Chinesium.
It was also my ONLY knife for 10 years or so, and never failed me. I guess even $20 gas station knives are pretty good. Just goes to show how absurd this hobby is, with respect to diminishing returns.

MTech, for the price, is extremely good value. Especially versus name brands of lower quality, like S&W. They are the Taurus of the knife world, doing everything with exceeding mediocrity.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Captain Log posted:

MTech, for the price, is extremely good value. Especially versus name brands of lower quality, like S&W. They are the Taurus of the knife world, doing everything with exceeding mediocrity.
Interesting! I've never heard of that brand, nor handled any of their stuff. They seem like good little knives to leave in your car, toolbox, etc...
I've found similarly good value with CRKT and Kershaw. A lot of them are pretty cheap, but decent little things. CRKT Pilar comes to mind.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Let me add something - When I say MTech is a good value, I’m talking about paying $7 to $11 bucks.

Like you mentioned, Kershaws can be had for very cheap and are far above gas station knives. But if you’re gonna buy gas station knives, buy MTech.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

betterinsodapop posted:

I have a "First Production Run" large SWAT folder.

Wow, that was an acceptable knife for me back then?
I wouldn't give it away (to anyone I like). Still carry it from time to time.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

Mine says "Millennium Run" on it and it is beat to poo poo! For sure wouldn't give it away. Not only because it sucks so bad, but also because I've just had it for so drat long.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

madeintaipei posted:

lol I've got one of these as well. Heavy as poo poo

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I found something in the bottom of a box of old childhood stuff.

When I was thirteen, this was The Most Bad rear end thing that ever existed.

Hoo boy, now it's pretty

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Hoo boy, now it's pretty

unsheathing and then sheathing this repeatedly whilst watching Xena: Warrior Princess

which to be clear, owns

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Hoo boy, now it's pretty

Thirteen, forty, still loving bad rear end.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Captain Log posted:

Hoo boy, now it's pretty

As a teen i was super horny for any gil hibben design i saw. I got all of the catalogs and i used to imagine being a custom knife maker because of his bull poo poo.

Spoiler alert: I did not become a custom knife maker and also never bought a hibben knife. I regret both of these things

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

This one is going on the EBay chopping block to fund a Gil Hibben knife of that era I liked more.

Truth be told, that was my least favorite design of them as a kid, but as luck would have it I received it as a gift.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

The sick-rear end tribal motif embossed on the leather sheathe is just .

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

betterinsodapop posted:

The sick-rear end tribal motif embossed on the leather sheathe is just .

In 1997, that was Cutting Edge Awesome Bad Assery.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Hell yeah, I remember seeing knives like that - possibly that exact model - in the pages of old Bud K catalogs back in the old days. Thank god I didn't have knife money back then, my entire house would look like a mall ninja knife store today.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Morality_Police posted:

Hell yeah, I remember seeing knives like that - possibly that exact model - in the pages of old Bud K catalogs back in the old days. Thank god I didn't have knife money back then, my entire house would look like a mall ninja knife store today.

Oh, noooooo...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Anyone have a recommendation for something like a compact swiss army knife? Not opposed to a genuine one but not married to the brand either. Just a small blade, a couple screwdrivers, scissors or a bottle opener wouldn't be bad but not strictly necessary. I have a full-blown leatherman somewhere but it just takes up too much pocket space to regularly carry. Basically I want something to open boxes and obnoxious sealed plastic packaging and remove/tighten screws without having to dig around in my toolbox.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 29, 2021

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

A Victorinox Pioneer, Cadet, or Bantam, depending on how small you want to go. SAKWiki is nice for finding the model with the tool loadout you want, because at the bottom of each page they list other models that could be considered a variant of what you're looking at.

The Bantam is just a blade and a weird-assed combo flat/phillips/can opener/bottle opener/wire stripper thing and disappears in a pocket because it's only a single tool layer. Pioneer is a bit heavier, but still fine if you add a pocket clip to the split ring. Cadet is a Pioneer but 9mm shorter and with a nail file instead of an awl.

Bantam

Pioneer

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

I have an inox pioneer that I leave on a lanyard to throw around my neck and in a shirt pocket when I'm doing outdoorsy poo poo like fishing, hiking, camping, etc., and it is just incredibly useful. I'm actually amazed how often I use the awl.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Honestly the Swiss Army Classic might be right up your alley. I think the tip of the nail file fits in philips head screws. The nub on the can opener does, but I've never tried the nail file.

stealie72 posted:

I'm actually amazed how often I use the awl.

Hell yeah. It's an awesome pocket drill.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Hell yeah. It's an awesome pocket drill.
Also makes a serviceable marlin spike as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

looking at a civivi exarch for my first pocket knife purchase since an opinel i've been carrying for years.

I was about to buy the crkt ceo flipper then i saw this guy and it looks really nice.

seems like civivi has a good fanbase and makes a good product?

I still have a benchmade 510 in D2... one of my first nice knives.

i have heard that the civivi D2 isn't as good, but I don't even know what that means.

the 510 D2 is almost impossible to sharpen

I'm hearing reviews saying D2 isn't the best steel... man things have changed in 10 years lol

[edit]: i guess the Shamwari is the "fancy" version of the exarch made by WE instead of Civivi?

[double edit] and i guess it was limited edition and you can't get it anymore. exarch is still on my list.

real steel metamorph looks like a direct competitor but i can't find much info on it

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 30, 2021