Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's a comments section on VA-ONCE for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
BAH / 30 days = paid per day.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My last semester of grad school was fully paid with 6 days of GI Bill. Ended up being like uh, 20k or something total.

Thanks, GI Bill.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Did you receive BAH throughout the entire semester?

Yes.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
1 August

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You'll get paid on the 27th for the full month of Feb. It's always the last working day*

*funds are actually released a day early. Depending on your bank you may be paid 12:01 the 26th.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Don't live in the dorms.

Start calling people and don't stop til you get a waiver or the university president tells you to gently caress off.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The most important thing is to do very well in school. Being a vet and having a good gpa in a useful field is such an advantage in some places like holy poo poo.

It's highly suspect that being in a dorm/barracks will really permit that. Dorms are horrible poo poo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

Nobody has ever asked me for my GPA in a job interview. The only thing it'll probably affect is admission to grad school, but even then they won't give a poo poo if you have a few years of work experience under your belt.

The Feds and some state govs do. It's hilariously stupid but they do.

You also need a good gpa to get a chance at good internships, too. NYC finance internships for example will wipe their rear end with an application under 3.75.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Average undergrad GPA for most schools is a 2.7 FYI. Yeah it takes into account a bunch of poo poo that doesn't matter in practice but regardless, it's important enough if you don't have the experience to compensate.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You're giving up your MGIB for Post 9/11. That's what you want to do if your flight school will be covered by Post 9/11. MGIB covers more than Post 9/11 in that regard only. You should double check.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Ptolemaeus posted:

First, thanks for this badass thread Vasudus and what you do for vets.

I am currently having my ETS bumped dramatically forward and am pretty much being involuntary separated because my unit is closing and I refused to extend or re-enlist. It is looking like I will be out in June, and will have my DD214 a bit after that. I am accepted into a university and have already contacted their vets office who just needs my cert of eligibility. Will there be enough time to get everything together before August, or should I be budgeting to be out of pocket for a bit into the fall semester? Luckily I still have that sweet deployment money saved up so it won't kill me, I am just trying to get my finances in order (aka I really want a car but eating and attending university seems higher priority.)

Also, even after pleading that I am 25 years old and holy poo poo I don't want to live in the dorms, the state legislation states that all freshman will live in the dorms until 30 credits only waivable for medical or family reasons. They did do me the favor of waiving the credits needed for the upper class dorms so a least I won't be around 18 year olds. My financial aid allotment from the university came in, and it will pretty much cover my dorm fees and meal plan, because I and everyone I know is dirt poor. Will I just be pocketing the BAH? And, will it still be at the same rate? Once again, thanks!

Yes, it's possible to get it before August. You can technically apply now while on active duty, then make 110% sure that the VA knows you're out and a vet before August. Like seriously, they say it's automatic but it sure as gently caress isn't from what I've personally seen. Be aware that your first payment will always take longer than usual, so you might have to be out of pocket for 2-3 weeks depending on when your school starts.

You should appeal living in the dorms to whoever you have to. Keep on going until the university president says no. In the event that you do end up living there, yes you will continue to get BAH at the regular rate.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Zeris posted:

Goddamn I just got admitted to Columbia's creative nonfiction writing MFA program with 20k/year knocked off the tuition. GI Bill at 80% makes this pretty drat tempting.

Did anyone else submit for their Tillman scholarship? They said they won't have answers til mid-April, around the same time I'd have to make a grad school choice.

If you get accepted to an Ivy there's no decision to be made. You're absolutely braindead retarded if you decide to go anywhere else.

I would legit go 100% out of pocket and sell my soul to Sally Mae to have the opportunity to do an Ivy. The advantages of having just the school name alone is well worth the cost of admission.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Zeris posted:

I hear these points and agree. Counterpoint - not that I've been admitted elsewhere yet (2 waitlists at very small writing programs) - we're talking a fine arts degree here. Does the world still give as much of a poo poo? Publishers for example dont care about your MFA location when they're reading your manuscript. Obviously it's a great school still. Just thinking it thru and wondering if you had considered the above in your replies.

Getting a degree from an Ivy is better than not. In some fields, it's practically a free job at the end of graduation.

Connections are a pretty important thing in any industry. It's not about the degree, it's the connections that make an Ivy stand above everything.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Look at it this way:

Regular school: You read a book by a famous guy

Good School: The author of the book visited here once or twice

Ivy League: The author of the book is a regular lecturer

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're gonna get an MFA you might as well get it from an Ivy. The name of the school alone is worth more than quite a lot of others even with a more useful degree.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Deathy McDeath posted:

This is mostly for Vasudus but anyone can chime in: I hear a lot of chatter about how much graduate schools (especially professional programs, such as MBA/MPP) value veteran experience and leadership and whatever. Is that just fluff? Does being a vet really give you an edge over the typical high-achieving undergrads? Say you're a vet who did well in undergrad, but for whatever reason your GRE/GMAT wasn't so hot, and you didn't have a litany of high-powered internships to bolster your app. Were you anyone else, you'd probably be able to crack the 2nd tier MBA programs, maybe. Would vet status give you a better shot at the those top tier programs?

Yes and no. Graduate school is very much about the person as it is the qualifications. Being book smart doesn't tell the school who you are, or what potential you have. Remember that for graduate school, the school is investing in you. They aren't churning out thousands of degrees a year, they want a return on their investment. So having a good, but not amazing set of academic qualifications in addition to having a good personal qualification *may* get you in over someone with better academic qualifications but not always. So it's not a guaranteed thing, but it certainly helps. Especially if you can present yourself well.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Falli Wagga posted:

I've been trying to get all my paperwork in order to start this fall, but the cut off for turning in my Certificate of Eligibility for the post 9-11 is this Friday and I still have not gotten it in the mail. All that I get when I call the VA is some old fart who can't use a computer telling me that it is processing and that it will take some amount of time between now and the end of time then it will be mailed to me. When I first started I would check the website under status of my gi bill enrollment and it would pop up with an error, this last time I checked it had a page called Education Enrollment Status with my name and all this info including benefit level and remaining entitlement, does anyone know if this means my claim went through? Is this page good enough to give the vets center on campus? Is there like a signature or something on the Certificate of Eligibility that makes it so only that form works? Does the VA know its 2015 and they can email things?

Don't try to reason with the VA. It takes as long as it takes and there's nothing that anybody can do about it. The website status might be enough to satisfy the school for the time being, but they will obviously want the real deal when it arrives. Check with them.

The Slithery D posted:

So I applied for post-9/11 GI Bill benefits about 10 days ago, and have only received an email acknowledging it's being processed. I'm supposed to start an MBA next week. The normal payment date was apparently today.

Any idea when I get my letter of verification of benefits? I guess I'll try to call and find out in the morning. If I have to I can pay an installment (or the whole thing) and get reimbursed later, but I know that's not how the post 9/11 is supposed to work, so I'd like to avoid it. Late registration payment deadline is apparently August 28, so that might be the way to go.

Any advice on how long this takes, and whether you can actually get reimbursed?

...you applied for your benefits 14-ish days prior to your classes starting? Oh man, I hope that they teach risk avoidance in your MBA program. If you're incredibly lucky you'll have it sorted by the second or third week in September. It takes 5-7 weeks for a new claim to be processed, and it could be actually closer to 8ish weeks since the Fall semester is by far the busiest time. But yes, you can pay it up front and ultimately get the money back, so if you have to do that (or at least set up a payment plan) and it'll eventually get sorted.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Does the letter the VA sends after you sign up for classes have the months of the upcoming semester deducted already from your remaining benefits?

Yes. The letter will usually say 'after this certifying period, you will have [benefits left]'

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

blue squares posted:

One of my classes was unexpectedly cancelled yesterday and I had to sign up for a different one. The tuition was already paid for the first classes. The bill will be the exact same with the new class. Do I need to do anything to make sure everything is okay?

No, certification is only the number of credit hours and the cost. If none of that changes it's irrelevant.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Books, probably.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Grouchio posted:

I have a medical question: If I have high-functioning autism and have previously suffered chronic symptoms of PTSD from three separate occasions (from social turmoil) in the last few years, would it be respectable or dis-respectful to compare my PTSD to that of a shell-shocked war veteran's?

It's not the same, and I would heavily refrain from making any comparison to it in front of other people. What you say to your therapist is your own business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

2DCAT posted:

Derp question here: So I did my kicker thing, but I remember when I was going to school on the GI Bill thinking (this looks as though my kicker contributions never went through). I don't think I have a copy of my kicker contract anywhere, is that stuff posted online anywhere or something? I'm a GS dude now, so I can still log into some places with my CAC, not sure if my old AF records are accessible to me there. ...or do I merely go the 'Ask a Question' route and post everything, sans kicker contract (i.e., just the enlistment contract).

Then again, maybe it's just that... and that I did receive the money, but it looked as though I mind as well haven't? *shrugs*

Your enlistment contract SHOULD have proof on there, for me it was like "Option 9c" or some poo poo, I can't remember. But your online personnel poo poo should have all the necessary forms.

If you have a valid CAC, you can still access all your personnel records. I am a contractor and I can still get on everything Army related. So get whatever proof you have and submit a ticket.

• Locked thread