Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

spread mealworms on it, their need for chicken crack overrides distrust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

For the first time in 8 years, 8 months and three weeks, Pip drank tea from a cup (I had placed down in reach of her beak). It was cold tea and I think she liked it considering how long she was drinking from it.

Pip then turned around and pooped into the cup.

Update: Pip has refused a new cup of tea.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 19, 2020

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Pooping in food or drink is the chicken way of showing approval

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

hope and vaseline posted:

spread mealworms on it, their need for chicken crack overrides distrust

I tried this. They managed to hop up high enough to snag the mealies without actually landing on the perch. Silly birbs.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

snake and bake posted:

I tried this. They managed to hop up high enough to snag the mealies without actually landing on the perch. Silly birbs.
silly? it sounds like they flummoxed you :smug:

in other news...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Trying to will tasty treats from the earthen loam.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hey guys, I've got 4 ISA Browns that live in a large roll around pen in my backyard (they have to be in a pen because we have hawks, coyotes, racoons, and neighborhood pets). The weather is starting to get cold and I'm wondering what to offer them to keep warm.

They've got a couple of those plastic nesting boxes but I'm thinking of building them an actual enclosed box that's large/long enough for all four of them to roost in at night. Currently they just roost on a bar near the roof of their enclosure that's not enclosed.

I need to know if an enclosed roost with lots of nesting straw would be enough to keep them warm, or if I should put some kind of heating element in the floor? The temps here get down to the single digits F.

Thank you ahead of time!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it known for hens to mount another hen, or do I have a surprise silkie rooster on my hands?

E: okay I found this: http://www.scoopfromthecoop.com/why-do-hens-crouch-when-approached/ which explains the behavior. Still learning!

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 21, 2020

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

spacetoaster posted:

Hey guys, I've got 4 ISA Browns that live in a large roll around pen in my backyard (they have to be in a pen because we have hawks, coyotes, racoons, and neighborhood pets). The weather is starting to get cold and I'm wondering what to offer them to keep warm.

They've got a couple of those plastic nesting boxes but I'm thinking of building them an actual enclosed box that's large/long enough for all four of them to roost in at night. Currently they just roost on a bar near the roof of their enclosure that's not enclosed.

I need to know if an enclosed roost with lots of nesting straw would be enough to keep them warm, or if I should put some kind of heating element in the floor? The temps here get down to the single digits F.

Thank you ahead of time!

You don’t need heat, just make sure the box is vented. You don’t want wind blowing on them but you don’t want to trap the moisture in there

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You don’t need heat, just make sure the box is vented. You don’t want wind blowing on them but you don’t want to trap the moisture in there

Ok, thanks.

I didn't know if chickens were that cold tolerant.

Also, those browns lay 2 large eggs a day. We're getting swamped.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I started selling my extra eggs via NextDoor and Craigslist. It’s nice to get a few extra $ now and then. I really need to call my local food bank and see if I can donate eggs through their program.

In other news, I’ve just seen what looks like scaly leg mites on my Brahmas. :doh: I am going to try the gasoline method but with rubbing alcohol instead. My local sparrows are still hanging around and they must be covered with parasites, based on how many my chickens have caught. What a pain!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

That white chicken on the left, I think she’s a Pearl White Leghorn, has a weird neck. Looking back at my photos, she may have always held her head like this but I didn’t notice because with others do that sometimes. I felt it last night and it seems to be the same length as the other chicks’ necks but it doesn’t seem like she can straighten it fully. She can turn it fine, so it doesn’t seem to hinder her much. Obviously she is similar in size to the others and just as active so I don’t think it’s a big issue but it is strange. Has anyone seen this before?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

a new experience for the quail:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the apex predator. master of his domain. king of the meadow

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

fauna posted:

the apex predator. master of his domain. king of the meadow

Is that an ant?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Is that an ant?

/squints
With those log legs, probably a gnat or mosquito.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Is that an ant?
it's prey :black101:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I posted a while back about my neighbor calling code enforcement over my chickens. Recently he came over waving a paper from his insurance company and insisting that I needed to remove a dead tree that, while I think it is on the property line, he thinks is all mine. He said he'd allow access to the crew, and I decided I'd have it cut down so as to minimize my interaction with this doofus. While I was waiting to get scheduled from my tree guy, dumbass neighbor decided he wouldn't allow access, costing me another $300, because he was worried that there would be sawdust left over and that the logs would damage his BACK lawn. I think I'm gonna leave dog poo poo scooping bucket out in the rain and then pour it on his side of the fence. Also I might dump a wheelbarrow full of chicken crap on his front porch.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

That's fine, move the property line 3 yards towards his side all the way along and tell him that he told you that this was ok.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Huge panicked BKAWK chicken noises. I go out to see which dog is attacking them.

Nope, they're all freaking out because a squirrel is shouting at them. One of them jumped into my arms for pets while I stood under the tree and shouted at the squirrel to go away, quite surreal.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
We've finally got chickens again! :woop:

It feels like the start of lockdown when the previous 3 got foxed was years ago instead of just 5 months, and it probably feels even longer for my partner who insisted indulging her compulsions and doing as much of the labour herself as possible.

But today we reintroduced a new set of 3 to the new coop setup. 2 Hyline (Petal & Cheddar), and 1 Copper Black (Mabel). They're ~8 weeks away from laying so they're all gangly, curious, awkwardly big-footed and I love them. They even figured out putting themselves to bed in the correct place. :3:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Hylines are excellent layers, I have four and they don't often miss a day.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/nathanwpyle/status/1309652571271856129

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

it's about time birbs were recognised as a home decor essential

we're halfway through spring now and the quail are still in suspended animation. no eggs, no crowing. they know they're under no obligations whatsoever to earn their keep

e: matzo got butcherbirded a few days ago :( he was getting bold and exploring the furthest reaches of the garden - the others never stray far from cover. although his timing wasn't quite right, i choose to believe he offered himself up as sacrifice for yom kippur, and died for my sins

on the second morning of his time here, as a tiny chick, matzo escaped from the brooder box in the garage and i found him on the concrete floor, almost dead from cold, trying to snuggle up for warmth to the front tyre of mum's car. it was then that i knew he wasn't long for this world

anyway, this is where i give up on free-ranging the quail. it cannot work. quail life is sacred and there has been too much death

fauna fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 29, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

fauna posted:

it's about time birbs were recognised as a home decor essential

we're halfway through spring now and the quail are still in suspended animation. no eggs, no crowing. they know they're under no obligations whatsoever to earn their keep

e: matzo got butcherbirded a few days ago :( he was getting bold and exploring the furthest reaches of the garden - the others never stray far from cover. although his timing wasn't quite right, i choose to believe he offered himself up as sacrifice for yom kippur, and died for my sins

on the second morning of his time here, as a tiny chick, matzo escaped from the brooder box in the garage and i found him on the concrete floor, almost dead from cold, trying to snuggle up for warmth to the front tyre of mum's car. it was then that i knew he wasn't long for this world

anyway, this is where i give up on free-ranging the quail. it cannot work. quail life is sacred and there has been too much death

Oh that poor thing. At least he lived as a brave, happy animal who explored his yard like a limitless kingdom of excitement and treats.

Matzo, you will be missed.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It's starting to get cold and dark here so all the chickens around us are going off lay now. Ours are making themselves extra floofy but still laying for now. Bees are already getting ready for winter and so are the birds.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Captain Log posted:

Oh that poor thing. At least he lived as a brave, happy animal who explored his yard like a limitless kingdom of excitement and treats.

Matzo, you will be missed.
that's moose in the photo btw, he is still alive and well! matzo was a handsome golden boy.

i've lost nine birds this year. in the three previous years put together i lost six, so it's pretty crushing. five of those died because of my insistence on letting them roam around, and now i've realised it was never going to work, i feel like such an rear end in a top hat for wasting those lives. they love being out of the coop and having their freedom, but it's just not worth all the terrible ways it can go wrong, and there is no way to make it completely safe for them. they're too silly and too delicious. i'm so sorry, little guys :(

this last loss kind of brought it home to me that even though i think i'm doing it for the quails' benefit, i've had more than enough evidence now that free-ranging them is impossible and i'm not all that different to idiot cat owners who let their pets go out murdering and being murdered because "they want to be free"

the remaining seven i will protect with my life. the coops have been enriched, and they will never be allowed outside again without direct supervision. i feel like i've made this post before, but this time i'm serious, i will die for the quail! the only way i can atone for my sins is to enable many more tiny idiots to have long, happy lives.

:negative:

fauna fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 29, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

losing quail to predators is particularly traumatic, i don't know of any other animals that get so consistently decapitated

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
So sorry, fauna.

I’ve been pretty lucky with my chickens so far, only one predator attack. I think a lot of that comes from keeping a watchful rooster and from having some huge chickens. My colony rabbits have had one predator attack also, and without a big protector, the predator (feral cat?) was able to eat on the victim for a while :ohdear:

I think I’m about done with meat rabbits anyway. Chickens are a lot easier to catch for doctoring or culling, and they give eggs every day. I “only” have 24 rabbits left so once I’m down to my favorites they will just be outdoor pets.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

fauna posted:

losing quail to predators is particularly traumatic, i don't know of any other animals that get so consistently decapitated

:sympathy:

you're a great quail friend and a great person

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
:rip: dear Matzo, beautiful golden birb

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

fauna posted:

i've lost nine birds this year. .

Oh that's sad. RIP Matzo.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I'm so sorry, fauna. Don't be too hard on yourself, you are an amazing friend of the mysterious quail.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
:smith:

Oh no, not Matzo! Balls to being so hard on yourself, fauna. You're trying your best with the most fragile of lifeforms, and they obviously enjoy their time in your loving care.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Some little girls practicing being big girls.

In order front to back, Easter egger (Sphinx), blue laced red Wyandotte, exchequer leghorn (Checkers), cuckoo marans, brown leghorn.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 29, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

thanks for the support, all. i am still a vessel filled with shame and disgrace, but going forward my mission in life is to see every member of my flock live joyously to at least seven years old (unless they make the personal choice to die in some ridiculous way)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Hi thread.

Posted a couple weeks back with a sick chick, who got washed and iodined for a few days and is now thriving.

Currently finishing up building the coop so the now-6-week-old chicks can at least spend their days in it until they're big enough to actually live in it, Just planning to not put in the ramp to the hen house until they're ready and give them a little shelter in the corner. They're about the size of a junior nerf football at this point and rapidly outgrowing their coffin-sized pen. My kids took them out to play on the lawn over the weekend and they did a great job. One of them even caught her first worm.

But what I'm learning is the thread title should be "Backyard Chicken Keeping: There's Poop Everywhere!"

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'd definitely be more into keeping pet birds other than chickens if it wasn't for the poo poo.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

stealie72 posted:

Hi thread.

Posted a couple weeks back with a sick chick, who got washed and iodined for a few days and is now thriving.

Currently finishing up building the coop so the now-6-week-old chicks can at least spend their days in it until they're big enough to actually live in it, Just planning to not put in the ramp to the hen house until they're ready and give them a little shelter in the corner. They're about the size of a junior nerf football at this point and rapidly outgrowing their coffin-sized pen. My kids took them out to play on the lawn over the weekend and they did a great job. One of them even caught her first worm.

But what I'm learning is the thread title should be "Backyard Chicken Keeping: There's Poop Everywhere!"

Yes birds poo poo everywhere. It’s really pretty impressive how much poo poo they can create and where they can deposit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

stealie72 posted:

Hi thread.

:unsmith:

stealie72 posted:

Here you go, and there's photos too!
https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0