Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
gently caress, I used the exact same medication last year and I can't remember how much I ended up using. Trying to treat a sick chicken with meds made to be distributed to like a thousand chickens in their common waterer is a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Explosionface posted:

So my question is, do I need to consider getting rid of Phobos due to aggression, or am I overreacting to a hen trying to reorder the power structure?

One of my hens was extremely aggressive towards humans when we got her, charging and doing the jump attacks etc.

Spending time with them in the garden just chilling and hand feeding them made her chill out though, and then after that any time she'd forget and would get rowdy I'd just pick her up and carry her around for a bit while doing chores.

She was an ex-batt and pretty feral to start with so not quite the same situation, but treats count for a lot with chickens

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

LuckyCat posted:

Rad, thank you Joburg. I’ll do 1.5 tbsp per gallon to make it a happy middle. Poor little boo squeals when she pushes diarrhea out and it’s simultaneously cute af and breaks my heart :unsmith:

Oh, poor Boo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Enfys posted:

One of my hens was extremely aggressive towards humans when we got her, charging and doing the jump attacks etc.

Spending time with them in the garden just chilling and hand feeding them made her chill out though, and then after that any time she'd forget and would get rowdy I'd just pick her up and carry her around for a bit while doing chores.

She was an ex-batt and pretty feral to start with so not quite the same situation, but treats count for a lot with chickens

Can an angry hen do any damage to a person?

I'm used to parrots with bolt cutter faces, so a chicken appears pretty tame.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Angry chickens have killed people in the past.

https://www.livescience.com/rooster-attack-kills-woman-hemorrhage.html

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

LuckyCat posted:

Rad, thank you Joburg. I’ll do 1.5 tbsp per gallon to make it a happy middle. Poor little boo squeals when she pushes diarrhea out and it’s simultaneously cute af and breaks my heart :unsmith:
is boo still around?! omg :yayclod: i was just thinking about her and your heartbreaking dilemma this morning. how is her eye going?

Enfys posted:

:unsmith: :kimchi:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I can vouch for the peeper blinders for cutting down on aggro chicken threat... https://www.amazon.com/12-Pinless-Peepers-Pliers-Blinders/dp/B01HO0Y3MY There are plenty of testimonial videos up as to how they can keep a pissy hen from hurting other flock members while allowing them to still eat. Ella, my snack cop rear end in a top hat of a hen has had these on since July of last year. She's still a dedicated jerk so they aren't coming off any time soon.

Also y'all were not loving kidding about blue-kote and staining. I didn't get any on my kid who was holding my bird so I could apply it, but I got some of the stuff on my hands where I was holding the feathers out of the wound site. It must be the same blue dye from anti-theft dye packs, this poo poo doesn't want to come off.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Getting bit by a chicken isn't too bad, where with a bird of prey I would be scared of losing a big chunk of skin or maybe even a fingat a chicken bite is mostly just pinchy.

A hen usually doesn't have a roster's spurs though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I almost typed in "varicose vein" before I read the article.

Yep, sure nuff.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

perepelki posted:

is boo still around?! omg :yayclod: i was just thinking about her and your heartbreaking dilemma this morning. how is her eye going?

She is still around! Right after her big dip she had a big turnaround and her eyes are much healthier (but she’s permanently blind). Lately it has been lethargy and now diarrhea. Took her to a fancier vet and they did a battery of tests for infections, parasites, you name it. She’s adjusted to blind living just fine, but with our power being out for 2 days last week and temps that we’re sub zero we had to bring the whole flock inside. I think she picked something up from them coming in. That of course means they are carrying something 😫. Just need everyone to get to baseline health dammit. :)

E: here she is after a bath

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 22, 2021

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

LuckyCat posted:

E: here she is after a bath

i love this bird :h:

tigerlily has been carrying weight on both legs, eating, dust-bathing, pecking at the triplets when they're being annoying (this is most of the time), and today i found him doing tentative bird yoga in the sun. i think he's going to be okay! my miracle creature

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

perepelki posted:

tigerlily has been carrying weight on both legs, eating, dust-bathing, pecking at the triplets when they're being annoying (this is most of the time), and today i found him doing tentative bird yoga in the sun. i think he's going to be okay! my miracle creature

I'm so happy for you and him :h: you deserve something bad to go right for once!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Ask my left eyeball. Spent two days on percocet and a week on antibiotics after Kennedy giving me a lacerated cornea.

When everyone involved at the clinic asked "What happened? " and I said "Chicken pecked my eyeball" the response was without fail, "....What?"

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Captain Log posted:

Phobos is a big girl, and she's managed to break skin on my wife's hand twice within a week.

I've been so confused about her because she's typically been the friendliest of all three hens, frequently wanting to come in the house, and sometimes being allowed. She's also the easiest to pick up and cuddle.

Maybe due to so many things happening in our lives lately she's reacting to some neglect.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

eating only apples posted:

I'm so happy for you and him :h: you deserve something bad to go right for once!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

I’m glad for their improved health! They are both so pretty in very different ways.

I stuck a couple more farmers market eggs on top of the others in the incubator, I’m hand turning them until I make some space in there. After checking some eggs from that farm, they seemed infertile but then while making breakfast, they looked fertile :shrug: Those extras are pretty sure to be pure buff Orpington, so maybe I’ll get a beautiful yellow chick... all the others are a complete mystery. Sometime this afternoon I will candle them and maybe remove the duds, or give them a few more days to be sure. One carton was marked Feb. 5th so those probably won’t develop.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

tigerlily has left his sick bed and returned to the company of his siblings :unsmith: he's been walking more comfortably every day, and yesterday he became lustful of a moose and i knew he was officially on the road to recovery

part of my project is exploring quail as low-maintenance pets for residential settings and people with disabilities, so it was probably important for this to happen to me sooner rather than later. i always assumed they'd be too quick to get stepped on, but when they're blinded by the prospect of food, anything can happen. when slow reflexes or poor eyesight are involved, as a few people itt have mentioned, it creates a hazard for both quail and owner. tigerlily's accident happened late in the afternoon when the light was low, and when you look at their camouflage it's easy to see how the tragedy occurred

he doesn't seem to hold it against me, which is nice. i don't think they realise that my hands and my feet are all part of the same organism

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

When I opened the thread I thought tragedy had struck and there was an unspoilered picture of two dead quail :ohdear:

(:kimchi:)

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Enfys posted:

When I opened the thread I thought tragedy had struck and there was an unspoilered picture of two dead quail :ohdear:

(:kimchi:)

Me too, every drat time.

perepelki posted:

part of my project is exploring quail as low-maintenance pets for residential settings and people with disabilities, so it was probably important for this to happen to me sooner rather than later. i always assumed they'd be too quick to get stepped on, but when they're blinded by the prospect of food, anything can happen. when slow reflexes or poor eyesight are involved, as a few people itt have mentioned, it creates a hazard for both quail and owner. tigerlily's accident happened late in the afternoon when the light was low, and when you look at their camouflage it's easy to see how the tragedy occurred

They would contrast well against green vegetation at least, not much green in arid climates but hey it's something.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Went out this morning to feed the girls their scratch since there is over a foot of snow on the ground and they don’t come out of the run often and one of my Brahmas was hiding upstairs in the coop. I went to check on her and picked her up and she had a 3 inch hole in her back that the other chickens and pecked into her exposing her hip bone and muscles.

So an hour and half drive to the chicken vet’s house later and she has about 20 stitches in her and is quarantined inside for the next two weeks with some nice medication. Hopefully she bounces back fine.

Stupid rear end chickens.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm very upset.

The snow has mostly melted, but as a result the yard is a mud pit, so I left them cooped up. I went out to check on them this morning and Pluto was torn apart. She looked like she'd been hit by a car. Her head was missing completely and she was ripped down the middle like she'd been butterflied. I think that means a raccoon. My trap is still in the mail.

I don't know how it happened and I feel guilty and ashamed. I have to tell Kate when she gets up in an hour or so and she's not going to take it well. I'm not taking it well either.

Mars was killed barely more than 2 weeks ago. Since then I spent hours securing the coop, and somehow this happened. I'm posting these photos in the hopes that anyone has any insight. I saw some signs of digging around the front of the coop, but it doesn't look like anything was able to burrow in. Maybe she was close to the side of the cage, and it slashed her and yanked her head through the wire? But she usually slept alone in the nest box in the attached coop. I didn't find any blood anywhere, or any signs of blood or wounds on the other chickens. (Pluto has been a loner ever since her "twin sister" Mercury, my other banty mille de fleur, died of natural causes not quite a year ago. Is it possible the other chickens did it? I know chickens peck each other to death but I've never heard of them decapitating and eviscerating each other. I'm just rambling and spinning insane theories now.)

Edit: I found Pluto's severed head about a foot from where the body lay. I don't know if that means something definitely got into the coop and killed her, or if it decapitated her from outside of the coop and tbe body flopped around. It was horrifying and I don't like thinking about it.

I'm a little ashamed of my old, jury-rigged, patched-together coop. A couple years ago I said it was white trash looking and it's moreso now. You can see it's actually two coops that I screwed together back when we had a dozen chickens. I've kept a tarp on the roof and the back all winter, and that folded up tarp is one I tacked on the front when the weather dipped down to 10 degrees during the recent storm. The top of the lower door sort of crumbled away, The signs of digging I mentioned are obscured by the wire. You can see that the lower door started to disintegrate, so I zip-tied it to the coop wall and replaced the top with a board screwed to the frame. I haven't actually used the lower door in forever, so that board is basically for them to hop onto and hop out.

Here you can see some signs of digging on the outside. I should mention that when I put the coops in, I dug a little trench around the edges about 6 inches deep and tacked a skirt of chicken wire to it. I've never had any problems with snakes or digging animals getting in. The whole coop is a bit sunken into the ground--my yard slopes downward toward the lake, so erosion happens.

Same spot, view from the inside. The floor of the nest box fell in a few weeks ago. I haven't been able to get out and fix it since it's been raining or snowing, or the yard's been a sheet of ice or a mud pit. When Mars died I was afraid that it somehow got in through here, but no. The gap you see there was made by my hand; it doesn't feel like anything was able to burrow in.

You can still see BlueKote on Venus' head. The extra latch in the middle of the door is one I put on after something got into the other nest box to steal eggs. After Mars died I noticed that it was possible to push in the bottom of the door far enough for something to slip in. I put a heavy-duty staple in it until I can put a new latch down there.

The back. This tarp was used as a drop-cloth for spraypainting at one point. The little hole and the cord there is for their water heater. I don't know how well you can see it, but after Mars died I just took a big sheet of chicken wire and tacked it onto the back of the coop. It runs to a height of 6-8 inches across the back, and after I tacked it again at the bottom, I just let about 24 inches of chicken wire skirt along the ground. It's already mostly buried under the mud. I don't think anything broke in through the back, but a racoon could definitely slip under the tarp, and maybe it grabbed ahold of Pluto through the wire?

The main nest box of the original coop. After something opened it in the middle of the night, probably to steal eggs, I added two extra latches to the coop. After Mars died I noticed that occasionally the one on the left would be undone. Not wanting to take any chances, and not having a spare padlock, I tied the two latches together. I'm certain that nothing got in there, because that's where Judas and Jupiter sleep. The second picture just shows the bottom of the coop there--I don't see any signs of digging. The piece of tarp is a recent addition due to the ice storm.

This is a better look at the signs of digging around the front I mentioned. I don't think anything got in, but I'm not totally certain. Checking with my hands made the trench on the right a little wider and deeper than it was originally.

Edit: I went to every spot where it looked like something had been digging and jammed my hand as far down into the wet earth as possible, and also tried to jam my hand down through it on the inside of the coop. I couldn't so much as slip a finger underneath the bottom of the coop, so I'm confident that nothing dug its way in from underneath.

Dead chicken pictures ahead. These are pictures of where I found her. Venus usually sleeps on the perch above. Edit: You see the 2x4? That's filling in the gap where I think the raccoon got in and killed Mars. The gap is like precisely the size of a 2x4 so once I cut it to length, it filled it in practically airtight.

Here is the body. Don't know if there's anything to be gleaned from it. It still holds together in one piece, but the head was severed (no sign of it) and it looks like she was disemboweled.

Okay, Kate's awake and I have to tell her what happened. I feel like I'm going to throw up.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 24, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Just from your descriptions and from what you've shown I'd be more thinking its some kind of Fishercat, weasel, mink etc instead of a Racoon but I'm not an expert.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Weasels are liquids. They can definitely get into just about any hole a mouse can get into (makes sense, that's their natural prey), which is like... diameter of a quarter? And now that I think about it, when we fed our ferrets mice they would often just eat the head -- skull and all -- and leave the rest.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
That's horrible. So sorry for you, Halloween Jack.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I'm so sorry, that is a brutal and shocking loss :sympathy:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sorry Halloween Jack :( Your coop setup looks really nice, I hope you’re able to figure out the security breach.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I was going to suggest something in the weasel family too.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If you have chicken wire and not hardware cloth as your protection anywhere I would look at that more closely first. Also sorry about you losing your bird :(

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
That’s awful! I’m sorry!

I looked closely at your coop pictures and besides the digging area I didn’t see any obvious signs, so I’d agree with the weasel theory.

If you haven’t yet, you could push on those hardware cloth panels on the coop and see if any of the staples have come loose. I had a rabbit in a coop like that for quarantine and my dog managed to push a corner of the hardware cloth panel loose (completely pushing out the staples) and grab him :( After catching him, my dog lost interest and put him down and he was fine but it was very scary at the time.

I’m sorry again about your chicken :sympathy:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Quite possible the other chickens disemboweled her after she was killed. If she was killed from outside the cage and the chickens noticed when they got up they can do a lot of damage with their beaks as i was reminded yesterday.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
While we wait for Boo”s vet appointment tomorrow, I am concerned about her being dehydrated. She’s had so much diarrhea. I currently have her on meloxicam to manage pain, and trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole for coccidiosis.

Today she isn’t eating or drinking so I’ve been feeding her yogurt via syringe and water via syringe.

Would this homemade electrolyte recipe be good or nah?

https://www.communitychickens.com/homemade-electrolytes-for-chickens/

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

LuckyCat posted:

While we wait for Boo”s vet appointment tomorrow, I am concerned about her being dehydrated. She’s had so much diarrhea. I currently have her on meloxicam to manage pain, and trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole for coccidiosis.

Today she isn’t eating or drinking so I’ve been feeding her yogurt via syringe and water via syringe.

Would this homemade electrolyte recipe be good or nah?

https://www.communitychickens.com/homemade-electrolytes-for-chickens/

It is good. I’ve used that same recipe for a goat with diarrhea. I like to make it with lukewarm water so their bodies don’t have a bunch of cold water to warm up.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

oh hj i'm so sorry :sympathy: it's awful enough losing birds, somehow it's even worse when the predator leaves a mess. you are doing your best and you will solve this problem!

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the lily

he lived

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So. Round. O

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Tigerlily the Resilient.

We candled the eggs today and we see some development in 6 of 25 farmers market eggs! I was hoping for more but we will leave the blank eggs in for a few more days to be sure.

There is a small darker area in middle of the yolk. I’m sure I’m not imagining it.

I’ve been trying to convince Blazer that she wants to be broody. She always sits in a nest for half the day so I’ve been collecting eggs and sticking them under her. So far she’s smart enough not to want to have chicks in winter, so these will probably be house chicks.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm so sorry about the chicken losses. Getting a coop invaded like that sounds loving wretched.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Captain Log posted:

I'm so sorry about the chicken losses. Getting a coop invaded like that sounds loving wretched.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Get well soon, Boo, you beautiful birb.

perepelki posted:

the lily

he lived

Well done, tigerlily - the quail who wore their human as a hat (and survived).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A Cooper's hawk has built a nest in the tree overlooking the coop.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do when you discover that God hates you personally and wants you to suffer?