Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
moose

perepelki fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i actually didn't know she was going to be a jumbo of terrifying size* when i gave her that name, but it's very appropriate

*about as large as a bantam chicken

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

it is so profound when i hold friday quailo in my hand and we exchange slow blinks of trust and affection

i love her

i love them!

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

please forgive me for that outburst of spam, i was tired and emotional

here is the lily

quail roosters don't like being picked up any more than chicken roosters do, so it means a lot to me that he still lets me hold him like this :3:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

perepelki posted:

please forgive me for that outburst of spam, i was tired and emotional

here is the lily

quail roosters don't like being picked up any more than chicken roosters do, so it means a lot to me that he still lets me hold him like this :3:

Perfect little handful of feather

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

She wants to see the manager

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Enfys posted:

periscope neck :3: i can hear the interrogatory quoppling just looking at the photo

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Enfys posted:

Did she see the manager?

This is very important.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Enfys posted:

Chikaren is clearly upset with the quality of food and insistent on seeing the humans about getting the Good Treats.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

We're breaking into the chicken thing here. Or re-entering as it were, after a good long while.

The four older gals, demanding more treats. They're maybe a month off being old enough to start laying. Besides them we've got 6 chicks of various breeds, all growing like mad.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Chicks didn't approve but I took a ground eye picture of them yesterday. Now they're getting more wing feathers!

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

itt there are found, the most beautiful birds in the world.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

scrubtit appears to be courting quimmix :confuoot:

reprehensible creatures

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

ensemble shot! they all decided to go on an epic quest together around to the back of the house

to maintain their quality of life, when i move to the city i think i'm going to have to pack them all into a cat carrier once a week and take them to the park

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I decided not to go with the cattle fence custom built chicken pen for Ft. Clux and opted to buy a metal framed one that I'm going to put hardware cloth on instead of the flimsy chicken wire it comes with.

What size hardware cloth is recommended? Is 1" enough or should I spring for 1/2"? I would like to note that I am pretty sure I saw a mink in my yard and this is meant to be secure enough that if I go out of town overnight I don't need to close the coop door. This is one of the reasons I went with the metal frame. It'll be easier for me to dig a trench to set it down in.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Alterian posted:

What size hardware cloth is recommended? Is 1" enough or should I spring for 1/2"? I would like to note that I am pretty sure I saw a mink in my yard and this is meant to be secure enough that if I go out of town overnight I don't need to close the coop door. This is one of the reasons I went with the metal frame. It'll be easier for me to dig a trench to set it down in.
1 inch is likely still going to let a lot of stuff in.

I did my main coop in 1/2 inch, and did their new run in 1/4 inch. The 1/4 inch is SO MUCH easier to work with, but it's also not as strong as the 1/2, so I ended up having to put in a lot more poultry staples to spread any load out.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I found using 1/4" was easy and I had great luck attacking it using screws and washers. Not super cheap but hasn't needed any work in 2 years now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I did the second layer on my prefab coop in 1/4".

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Finished the coop. Need to complete the interior and add a door. Need to also enclose the top. The outside area is about 100 sq.ft, still need to get the hardware cloth on that.

How high up should I go?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm doing the whole thing in hardware cloth with a solid roof on mine because if it's something that needs hardware cloth to stop it, they can also climb.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Today is the seventh anniversary of Lady Molly Dashwell leaving her factory cage for freedom and coming home to be a retired garden hen.

Molly has come a long, long way from that first day. She still has the huge hernia, but it's kept in check with an implant that stops her laying eggs.
She also has a brilliant vet who has helped her through illness.

Adding in her time in the cage, she's about eight and a half years young.

Molly is a big, floofy hen that demands daily cuddles and gets grumpy when things don't go her way.
Note: she has had many treats today.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

spookygonk posted:

Today is the seventh anniversary of Lady Molly Dashwell leaving her factory cage for freedom and coming home to be a retired garden hen.

Molly has come a long, long way from that first day. She still has the huge hernia, but it's kept in check with an implant that stops her laying eggs.
She also has a brilliant vet who has helped her through illness.

Adding in her time in the cage, she's about eight and a half years young.

Molly is a big, floofy hen that demands daily cuddles and gets grumpy when things don't go her way.
Note: she has had many treats today.

What an adorable little Floof Orb. :kimchi:

It is always so downright amazing how much the animals can be rehabilitated.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

spookygonk posted:

wise, handsome and serene. a queen at the height of her powers.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

spookygonk posted:

She’s so lovely! Happy anniversary!

I’ve been thinking about your retired hens while I’m dealing with my little rooster dudes. Everything is new (and scary) to them. I wish they understood about treats already. Right now they still panic when I give them scratch. And you should have seen the pandemonium when I gave them a banana :(

They have started coming down the ramp though. Baby steps!

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Joburg posted:

I’ve been thinking about your retired hens while I’m dealing with my little rooster dudes. Everything is new (and scary) to them. I wish they understood about treats already. Right now they still panic when I give them scratch. And you should have seen the pandemonium when I gave them a banana :(

:3: poor little things. the outlook must be pretty bleak for leftover roosters at a farm store, so i'm glad they ended up with you. even if they don't end up having long lives, at least they will be cared-for and happy for the duration!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
One of my hens is sitting on a fertilized egg and from the time it started incubating it's been 23 days, so I figured it was kaput and brought it in to candle it and see if I could see anything. Put the light up to the egg - cheep cheep! What the... try it again... cheep cheep! :eek: back outside you go!

Wondering if it hasn't hatched by tomorrow if it might need an assist?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

One of my hens is sitting on a fertilized egg and from the time it started incubating it's been 23 days, so I figured it was kaput and brought it in to candle it and see if I could see anything. Put the light up to the egg - cheep cheep! What the... try it again... cheep cheep! :eek: back outside you go!

EEK is right! I think cheeping means that it has internally pipped so you should see an external pip very soon. Fingers crossed for your little one!

We have a bunch of eggs due to hatch Friday and Saturday, and I have a few pea-combed roosters on order for Friday. Hopefully that all goes well!

Here’s one of my broody hens in her new Broody Box :TM:

I have one other hen in a broody box and the last broody, Blue Leg Band (they all need real names) will move to Large Marge’s shed. She is very adventurous so she will need to be contained with her chicks for longer than the others. Last summer she continually hopped the rabbit fence and her poor chicks were left behind everyday.

Large Marge and the Babes got moved to an unused part of the rabbit yard last night. This morning they are exploring and it’s nice to see the chicks staying somewhat near to her so she doesn’t have to run around after them. You can see the huge size difference between the four meat chickens (Rainbow Ranger) and everyone else. A few chicks are showing signs of rooster-ness already too.
https://youtu.be/Kmrjp0AmV0M

perepelki posted:

:3: poor little things. the outlook must be pretty bleak for leftover roosters at a farm store, so i'm glad they ended up with you. even if they don't end up having long lives, at least they will be cared-for and happy for the duration!

Thank you for saying this. I try so hard to do the right thing and it’s such an uphill battle sometimes. If I can get these guys a little tamer I think some may be rehomeable as pets. One guy seems to be a Bantam Cochin, so once his feathers come in he might turn out to be a real cutie. Here’s hoping!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've got a question about one of our hens.

She (Rose) is just over 1yr old, a cream crested legbar, and has only been laying since this late winter.

In the last 2-3 weeks we notice some calcification on the ends of some of her eggs, like its putting too much shell on some bits than others giving it an appearance of like a rock formation or something. It's pretty small and not in every egg so we haven't thought much of it. The last 2 eggs shes layed though have been very very thin shelled, one of them cracked in the nesting box.

We've looked her over and she by all outward appearances seems fine, has an appetite, drinks water and moves around without issue, scratching etc. 2 weeks back or so one of the orps had a fairly flimsy shell so we added in crushed oyster shell and all the eggs have been fine since then until the last 2 days.

Not having had chickens for long I have no clue if this is just something that happens now and then or if it might be indicative of something I need to deal with or keep a look out for. Any thoughts?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have that problem periodically but I can never determine who is laying those eggs. It seems to resolve itself eventually, maybe that’s due to changing to layer feed for the winter or the soldier fly larvae they get for treats when I’m feeling flush.

Are you feeding a layer feed with calcium added in?

For your hen I would try to give her calcium citrate (I think it’s one tablet a day, but google that to verify) for a few days and see if the shells improve. If they do, you know she is not eating enough of the oyster shell or she may not be absorbing it. If they don’t improve you can continue the calcium citrate for a while longer. If it’s an ongoing problem it might just be her own special weirdness.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Joburg posted:

I have that problem periodically but I can never determine who is laying those eggs. It seems to resolve itself eventually, maybe that’s due to changing to layer feed for the winter or the soldier fly larvae they get for treats when I’m feeling flush.

Are you feeding a layer feed with calcium added in?

For your hen I would try to give her calcium citrate (I think it’s one tablet a day, but google that to verify) for a few days and see if the shells improve. If they do, you know she is not eating enough of the oyster shell or she may not be absorbing it. If they don’t improve you can continue the calcium citrate for a while longer. If it’s an ongoing problem it might just be her own special weirdness.

Thanks! They are getting layer feed which I believe does have calcium in it and they also get a ton of vegetable scraps from the garden and from cooking a couple times a week. I'll check out the calcium citrate, thanks for the tip.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i love Large Marge, such a good mama.

also folks, Lil' Pep is so fancy! i think most of my babies are part frizzle but Lil' Pep is certainly the frizzle-iest (and tiniest). this picture doesn't truly do the frizz justice

e also RudeCat took some wild orb pictures and i wanted to share one:

the yard of our new house is on their morning and evening route which is pretty great. they were enjoying a gentle sprinkler mist + seeds here. i hope they are not cross that we chopped down the tall grass

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 20, 2021

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

lil pep is gorgeous and peppy! i look forward to watching her grow up.

i love the wild orbs. i have so much respect for any wild quail that actually makes it to maturity, especially californias with their jaunty little "free food!" head flags. i almost bought four native australian quail yesterday, even though they were all roosters, because i'm desperate to get to know them - but i'm moving house in six months, and that on top of rooster drama would have been too much to potentially deal with :(

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

that would be a lot of rooster drama! there is a spare rooster that tries to follow this covey sometimes and one of the others told him off yesterday. it was very windy today and we didn't see them out, i'll be interested to see if he is with them next time. poor guy.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

Unfortunately, two days later and there still wasn't any pipping and the egg wasn't cheeping anymore so I brought it in and the chick had passed away.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

:smith:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Lil' Pep is so fancy

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Joburg posted:

Mine are about this age now and I'm surprised they manage to make it through the day without killing themselves or each other. One of them doesn't understand the coop is where you go to sleep. I have to catch him everyday and put him in the box or he runs around panicking that everyone else is gone.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ah, another day with my beautiful hens, another dead raccoon.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Mozi posted:

Unfortunately, two days later and there still wasn't any pipping and the egg wasn't cheeping anymore so I brought it in and the chick had passed away.
:( forever young.

queen of the orbs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

and furthermore,

they were squiggling blissfully around in the dirt for about an hour. i watched them the entire time, which was good, because a hawk kept coming back to circle above them. they would tilt their heads and bibbit at it inquisitively, so i know they saw it and recognised it as something of interest. but did they hide or move toward cover or do anything to protect themselves? absolutely not. that would violate the quail code of conduct