Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Oh man, after watching chickam every year for all this time I'm finally getting pullets today. I can hardly contain my excitement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Inveigle posted:

You have to at least post some photos! :)

Oh I will, I get to have my very own Weedcat holy poo poo I'm stoked.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Turns out the other person involved in this process did not obtain the necessary permit yet, soooooo it looks like I have to do everything myself and the chicken getting will have to wait while I do that.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

As promised here are my chicks :woop:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I do know what they are, but not which is what. So far one will be Weedcat, and one will be Sherlock. I think one will be Poot, if I don't come up with a better name. I'll have to go look at the receipt to tell ya what the hell they are. Besides cute, that is.

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 23, 2014

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Alright the chicks are: black Australorp, easter egg Ameraucana, Barred Rock, silver laced Wyandotte, and a Rhode Island red.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Nice mix! Expect Miss Rhode Island to be fiesty, they generally are. Easter Eggers and Americaunas both lay green-blue eggs... if she grows up and has facial tufts and 'willow legs' (kinda green-blue-slatey leg color) she's an Americaunas, no willow leg or face tufts and she's an Easter Egger. :)

When you can, more cute chick pics please.

Errant Gin Monks, the hen hiding in the dill plants is doing the best 'Dontseemedontseemedontseeme' thing.

We did individual pics this morning so I'll get those posted eventually. They grow so fast it's crazy.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

My neighbor has (I think) six chickens, talking to him this afternoon he said they are going to get two ducks. This should be interesting, not in a bad way or anything since we live in a wetland sort of area but I've never known anyone with pet ducks.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I was going to comment on the enormous spider but that explains it.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Left my chickens outside in their coop for the first time last night, a house cat came through and killed my Weedcat. It didn't get into the coop.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Here's a gigantic cellphone pic of my chickens

e: ok two pics

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 15, 2014

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

In my coop there is a ladder the chickens are supposed to walk up to the nest box/ roost area but the drat things won't go up there. They just sleep on the ground in a pile and it's making me feel bad. I need to build better accommodations for them I guess.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

How old are they? I've found that youngsters under 4-5 months old will tend at first to sleep in a pile on the ground when they first go out into the coop. Eventually they get it together and roost, though. :)

Oh cool I'll try to stop worrying then, they're only like three months old.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The Rat posted:

The grumpiest. :reject:

Okay seriously where did this thing come from and what's it supposed to imply? :henget:

procure poultry.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Man, stupid weather making a heavy shower blow through right after I let my chickens out. Soaking wet chickens makes me feel bad.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Though they look similar, those nuisance geese might actually be cackling geese. There are a ton of them in my area and they won't freakin leave.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

If I wanted to go out and buy a chick to replace the one I lost to cats, how much trouble would that create with the rest of my birds? They are only about three months old right now.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The backdrop looks like Tippi Hendren's coat.

ShiftyNipples, if you are thinking of putting a newly-hatched chick in with 3 month olds--don't do it, the baby doesn't know to get out of the way or anything about the pecking order, and would get trampled. I wouldn't put any chick any younger than 4-6 weeks old in with the 3 month olds. Also youngster chicks of course have to be feathered out enough to stay warm by themselves.

Yes of course, I'd raise the little dude until she was old enough to survive basic chicken stuff.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

saint gerald posted:

An extract from my late grandfather's memoirs:

So when I moved out of town and acquired the space to keep chickens, picking the breed was a simple choice.

I found a local breeder with Buff Orpingtons and a few Lavender Orpingtons. They seem to be settling in well, although I'm kinda nervous about leaving them alone tonight.

One horribly nooby question, however. I picked up one of these waterers. How on earth do I fill the jar without dumping water all over the place when I flip it over?

That's a feeder, for food.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

My rhode island red is such a dumbass, she tries to jump through the wall of the coop if I stand by it because hell if I'm outside there must be a way for her to get out too. Right?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I was under the impression chickens were capable of learning a routine, seems that is not the case at all and the dumb creatures will simply do whatever they want. Point is I'll be damned if I'm going to continue chasing them around.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Are you using food as a reward for learning the routine, or having their feeder be at the end of the rainbow (like when you are trying to teach them where to roost, get their rear end into the coop at night, etc.)? Food works wonders...

Also, Nettles--you forgot EAT. The large breeds EAT EAT EAT. All the better to stomp around the yard & shake the ground.

Yeah that's the source of my frustration, I had the food and water hanging out in the shade but they completely ignored the direction I was trying to coax them in. Some days they cooperate with me and some days it's "screw you I do what I want."

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

My chickens sound like they're transitioning to clucking, it's pretty funny.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

What in the hell are those. Holy crap that was startling.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Guess I didn't know people did that, eggs are still gonna come from chickens kept in terrible conditions. Those that you have are simply replaced by other chickens and the cycle continues. But good on you I guess.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Here's my chickens hopefully they will brighten the mood here.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

spookygonk posted:

They are SO checking out every nook and cranny of that yard. If there's a spot they can wriggle under / into, hens will try it. THat's an dorable foursome, btw.

Indeed they are! I'm working on chicken-proofing the yard but for the time being I stand out there babysitting them if they aren't safe in that homemade pvc pipe run I've got going on. It has ended up being quite a project to have chickens.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Inveigle posted:

Hey Shifty: Why breed is that white chicken that looks like it's been spotted with blobs of black paint? A black-laced...something?

Nice chicken variety you have. They all look so happy...pecking, eating and exploring. :)

I think she is a black laced wyandotte.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Daaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww. :3:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I'm still waiting for my chickens to relax and not be all skittish. They freak out about everything, "jeez guys it's just a bluejay".

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Mine just saw a squirrel in the yard. Every damned last one threw a screaming FIT. It took two people to go out and sit with them for a minute to calm them the hell down.

Well alright I'll continue to just laugh them then.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Dick Tracy is why people think they can wear a fedora.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I took my puns to a best pun competition to see if I could win, but not one pun in ten did.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

My chickens started clucking so I figured I'd cluck too, they look at me funny now.

e: egg time is approaching :dance:

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 9, 2014

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I'll be damned one of my "hens" has started crowing.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I'm sorry about your hen, Faerunner. Everyone has had 'learning' experiences' of some sort like that where they felt they should have known better. We've all been there.

The Rat--I'd look for the shiny, longer, backwards-pointing, spikey head feathers on your bird, that's the first sure sign of Silkie rooboys I've seen in mine.

Shifty Nipples, some hens DO crow...but usually it's single birds kept alone of hens going through a hormonal shift. Got a picture?

It's the big white fluffball in these pics, but I can get a better picture the next time I go out there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417601&userid=113963#post429780677

The first thing I did was google whether hens would crow so I know it's not completely odd or anything, it's just a little obnoxious.

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 9, 2014

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do then as it's illegal to have roosters in the city, and I want eggs not crowing.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Guess we found a store that will take my rooster and if that doesn't work out we'll try craigslist. I don't have it in me to dispatch vertebrates up close and personal.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

We successfully rehomed our rooster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Aww drat sorry to hear that VS.