Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

The only bird of prey big enough to take down a full size chicken is a great horned owl. Maybe a full grown peregrine could get one, but I doubt it. Bantams are another story. I'd be much more concerned about alley cats than birds of prey for bantams, though.

I had a young hawk kill two full size chickens by piercing their necks.
My biggest predator is other people's dogs, despite the fact I'm out in the country with hawks, owls, cats, coyotes, weasels, fox, possums, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Here's a pic of hen saddles to protect hen's backs from roos.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

A flying piece of posted:

Questions:
1) Do I need to make these laying boxes I keep hearing about?

2) How quickly will they rip up a small area of grass?

3) How long should I expect them to go through the 'getting used to each other' phase? Only two of the four were in the same coop before.

4) Where the hell do I get chicken feed? (I got a bunch from the lady I bought them from)

I didn't really want a rooster because I'm afraid once it grows up the neighbors will hate it... but she claimed sometimes they grow up to be really quiet and I guess I can get rid of it if it becomes an issue.

1) Not really. Unless you want to watch the chickens pointedly ignore them.
2)Immediately. In two weeks it will be a lunar landscape
3)The younger they are the sooner they will sort it out. Shouldn't take long for yours...maybe a few days.
4)Agway, Southern States or Tractor Supply

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Then why have a few people, both in this thread and elsewhere, recommended using poultry netting over chicken wire. You people need to get your stories straight. :colbert:

I think they mean to use the netting over (as in above - like a roof)to keep things from flying in, chickens from flying out.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

They will need some sort of shelter in winter to keep the wind & snow out.
When it gets 20 degrees or below, I use a heated waterer - basically a heated dog bowl that the 1 gallon waterers sit in nicely. It's so nice not to have to bang ice out of the waterers every couple hours. Under 10 degrees I use a heater coop mat (third down on right) http://www.shopthecoop.com/chickens/He.html
It also comes in handy for sick or injured birds.

Choose a breed with a small comb and make sure they have a roost wide enough so they can sit on their feet to keep them warm. (Roost should be flat as well - they're not big parrots....curved roosts can cause foot problems.)

I don't know how often it gets below zero in NY.....maybe someone further up north can answer.....

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

What the hell are my hens doing?

So I've had them now for a couple weeks and I have not seen this yet. We moved the coop/run to fresh ground last night after they went into the coop and it also rained. This morning I go outside to see the two larger hens in the corner of the run rolling around and clawing at the ground while they're on their sides. Are they cleaning themselves on the wet ground (and mud since they're clawing)? Are they trying to find worms?

They are dusting. Theyu kick up dirt under their feathers which cools them down and also dislodges any poultry lice that may be on them when they shake all the dirt out. Pretty scary when you first see it - looks like some kind of seizure doesn't it?

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

I tried 3 times to put some straw under my broody turkey instead of
a plywood, eggs, hen = uncomfortable stack. Every time I came back there was straw every drat where - not a wisp under the turkey.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

That's all well and good, but what do Cockatrice eat when there are no available pit bulls?

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Yes, both yolks in the egg can be fertile. Both chicks will develop in the egg but they usually don't hatch because there is not enough room in the egg to hatch and not enough air in the air cell.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Don't really recommend buying other people's used birds. There is a reason they are getting rid of them. Some don't lay, some may be sick, they may have parasites or they may all be roos. Don't get me wrong - some people sell decent birds but you have to be careful. Get pics and try to go there to pick them up so you can see the birds' living conditions.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Maximusi posted:

So I got some chickens! I got a buff orpington and an americauna. Let me know what you think of my setup. They seem to scratch the ground a lot. They peck at their food but I'm not sure they're eating it. I hope that the bottom isn't slippery, please let me know if the shavings are enough:

http://imgur.com/a/himaO

The images are huge so I just linked to the album. We also built a coop over the weekend.

Cute peeps!
I usually use paper towels in the brooder for the first week, mainly so the chicks don't eat too many shavings and to give their feet some traction. Make sure they are drinking water. If they aren't, you will have to dip their beaks in the waterer to give them the idea. (Make sure you don't dunk their "nostrils")

The coop looks nice. Are you going to build a ramp up to the door?

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Sorry about your roo. It sucks when you don't even know why they died.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

If it's not a sting it could be a respiratory infection. CRD is common in chickens and is not curable.
His nasal passages will swell and the bad news is he may never loose that puffy look. The fluid crystalizes in chickens for some reason.

Hopefully it is a sting of some sort and he'll get better.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Usually watery poo w/ green means she's not absorbing food. Try some plain yogurt (with cultures) mixed with oatmeal and some crushed granite to grind it all up.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Tiny dinosaur hatching....

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

More baby pics:

Jerry the turkey:

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Inveigle posted:

Oh my god! So adorable! What different kinds of chicks do you have? Why is that one chick so much bigger than the rest?

What kind of chicken is standing behind Jerry? I really like that grey color.

The chicken behind Jerry is a chicken shaped resin doorstop. It would be cool to have a live one that color!

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Is Jerry a male or female? Male domesticated turkeys can get huuuuge. We grew three turkeys one year (2 hens and a tom) and butchered them leading up to Thanksgiving and Christmas. The first hen dressed out at 21 lbs and she beat the poo poo out of me while I tried to hold her wings down and my dad lopped her with the axe. The second hen, we wrapped in duct tape to keep her wings from thrashing us, she also was over 20 lbs. The tom.. Oh god..!

Here's Jerry with some of his children....he's a great daddy.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Finally got around to taking pic of my big, fluffy roos - Duke & Albert. They are english Blue Orpingtons. Pretty mellow guys.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Jenner posted:

Also, I heard chickens need to eat gravel/limestone to have hard egg shells. Is this true?

All chickens need to swallow grit/gravel to grind their food. Hens also need crushed oyster shell (calcium) to make strong eggs. Most commercial laying feed has enough calcium in it already.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

marauderthirty posted:

New backyard chicken keeper reporting!

but her feathers glow green and purple in the sunlight. I had no idea there were so many varieties of chicken until I skimmed this thread, do you guys have any idea what she is?

She looks like a black sex link to me. Once she has a friend to hang out with she won't follow you around as much. (Unless she thinks you have treats)

Couple of pics to share:
Tiffany:

Spikey:

Bill watching Vanna lay an egg:

Trixie:

Spookygonk, can't wait to see what your girls look like all feathered in!

meriruka fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 6, 2012

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Hens do make noise, especially when alarmed. Mine fit up when a dog strolls by or a bird flies overhead, sometimes for no discernable reason at all. Some hens will sqwawk loudly after laying an egg.
Chickens love grass and they will scratch it up, dig holes for dusting, destroy/eat flowers and generally turn it into a mud pit. the mesh on the bottom may prevent some of the damage. They'll need grit to digest their food.
Some people do well with moveable coops -I'm too lazy to keep dragging it around all day, moving it back into the shade as the sun moves. I have a fenced in run attached to the coop and move the fencing when they've torn up the grass to give them a new patch and reseed the old one.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

They don't need constant access to their coop, but they will need water at all times and somewhere to lay eggs. A box on it's side will do if you put some straw inside.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

I got chicken saddles on ebay. They're usually around $3, worth it for me - I can't sew worth a drat.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Chicken-Saddles-Hen-Aprons-/260957322005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc244bb15

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Vaga42Bond posted:

So how many of what is still left?

Also, can't wait for a chance to have a Queen Elizabeak hatch! :dance:

I liked the name so much I stole it ....the white chick sitting down in the photo is Queen Elizabeak II

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

piscesbobbie posted:

I will ask my same question here. What is the difference, size and taste, between eggs from Bantam hens and the regular heritage breed size hens?

I have both bantams and standard chickens. They both eat the same feed however the bantam eggs taste a bit richer/sweeter than the regulars. This could be because there is less egg white but I don't know that for sure.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

*MOD NOTE: DO NOT GIVE TREATMENT RECOMMENDATIONS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU AREN'T A VET. CALL YOUR VET AND HAVE THEM CHECK YOUR FLOCK.

I read this and was curious - how many of you chicken owners have a vet that will treat chickens? I have been unable to find one here in VA despite the fact that I live in farm country. It doesn't help that the attitude around here is that chickens are disposable. I've had to do a lot of research and stock up on meds so I could at least try to save a sick chicken.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

LordOfThePants posted:

The Cluck Palace is nearly complete!

Nice job on the coop! The only thing I'd add would be some slats across the ramp for chicken footholds.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

I use crushed granite for grit. I think it was $6.00 for 50 lbs.

Chido, you could maybe try a bird hand feeding food like they use for parrots. It has all the nutrition they need until you can get them interested in regular food again.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Pardalis posted:

Awkward teenage birds incoming:

What kind of turkey is that? A Bourbon Red?

meriruka fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 5, 2012

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Pardalis posted:

Yes! She is a Bourbon red, around 10 weeks old.

If turkeys stayed that cute I would have hundreds of them

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Inveigle posted:

That is one drat fine-looking tom turkey. Are those juveniles or hens with him?

That's Jerry with his children. (They're about 3 months old) He is a really good dad.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

WrathofKhan posted:

http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/orpingtons/

Just because I care, Alterian, just because I care :devil:
Greenfire Farms is hella expensive, but I've noticed that once Greenfire has done the hard work of importing the birds, a few years later other breeders are selling chicks for a less breathtaking price. There are a bunch of people in the US who have Lavender Orpingtons.

If you are considering buying birds from that place, please PM me first!

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Customer Service,
I was looking at the pic of your chick and automatically thought it was a boy.
We hatch Orpingtons and the boys always take longer to feather on the back and tail. Is it possible your chick is a roo?

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Actually it was the big feet and the start of wattles already.
You could watch for chest-bumping with other chicks but then again I've seen
a few hens do that. I'm not an expert by any stretch but I have been hatching chicks for a few years.
I just know I glanced at the pic and thought "oh, a roo." then read the text.
Hopefully I'm wrong and it's the camera angle or something. I do know that our Orp boys take longer to feather in than the girls. Maybe it's a breed thing.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Zeris,
You could try to massage the area and see if it feels like it's filled with a wad of grass. It wouldn't hurt to give her some form of grit to help grind the food and maybe a few peices of olive oil soaked bread to help slide it along.
None of these things will do any harm even if it's not a blocked crop.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Not sure what is specifically in your presentation but here is what I would have
loved to know when I first started:
Symptoms of illnesses and how to treat them. Parasites and safe treatment.
Please also mention that you should never use any ointment/medicine with an ingredient that ends in 'caine'
the Neosporin with pain relief is toxic as well.
A list of what foods are toxic to poultry and no serving of mouldy crap that died in your fridge.
Using telfon coated light bulbs is also fatal. (fumes)
Proper set up of a brooder (HEAT LAMP SAFETY) - I tie every piece of the lamp together and use the guards for the bulbs)
and proper nutrition (Scratch should not be a primary source)
How a crop works and why crushed granite & oyster shell are necessary.
As for protection, even though I live in nowheresville, the worst predator is other people's dogs.
When I lived in the city - right on a highway, I had a young hawk kill two chickens before I could put up netting.
If netting isn't possible, hang shiny CD's or crinkly plastic shopping bags or a scarecrow.

Basically all the crap that can go wrong that no one tells you until you have dead chickens.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Random cute chicken pic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Chido posted:

I tried to get Megatron "singing" after laying her egg on video, but she didn't do it. Instead, here's a picture of her wound. I haad put tape to try and close her wound on Sunday when it was fresh. It didn't quite work, but at least the wound isn't as wide. How is it looking? Does it look like she's healing well?

I also want to try to clean some of that dry blood/oozing liquid/neosporin at the bottom of the wound, but I don't want to hurt her, so how should I do it?

You could try Blue Kote spray. It will help protect the wound & keep other chickens from pecking it.
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/blue_kote_wound_dressing.html