Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Chido posted:

Actually we do. I hold him while my nieces go "wattle wattle wattle" and play with his wattles.

Never be ashamed of this. It is the only logical thing to do when you own pet chickens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Enelrahc posted:

Usually I just live vicariously through this thread, but "Thinking Chickens" came up on Dr. Yin's fb feed today. I want to clicker train a chicken so badly, if only to watch that little brain think Awesome.

(Please someone on here do this)

Cutest thing ever. Watching that wattle flap around as she's examining the dots, eeeee.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Geokinesis posted:

That would be the best suggestion, Naked Necks are quite adorable in their way.

e: A picture for those of you who haven't seen the breed:

The only appropriate reaction to most breeds of chickens is to giggle like a maniac.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Inveigle posted:

chicken nipples

Words you never think you'll read in that sequence.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Chido posted:

This is adorable. "Oh, it's dark? I better just go to sleep."

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

At first glance, your chickens look like circus performers, with one balanced on the other's tail. Had to do a double take at this one.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Sad to hear about Spaghetti, but you did so much for her and gave her personal care up until the end.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

coyo7e posted:

"Whenever you want some nuggets"? What exactly does this mean? Do you think you can just get chicken mcnuggets by casually pulling them off of your chickens? Have you ever slaughtered a bird and cleaned it?

Also, raising and caring animals because you would like to "just be able to step out the back door for free food" is idiotic. You don't raise animals to increase convenience, you start a window herb garden. You raise animals to improve your quality of life.

No, raising livestock for food is perfectly fine, as long as they are treated humanely. Why do you think humans domesticated chickens in the first place, just for funsies and cock jokes?

You should check out notsoape's meat rabbit thread in GWS -- a perfect example of raising animals in great conditions solely for eatin' purposes. Keeping livestock on a small scale for personal consumption is much more humane than the way the meat and eggs you buy at the store were produced.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Tim the Enchanter posted:

It's called Mrs. Stewarts liquid bluing, supposed to be non-toxic and ive never had a problem with it other than staining stuff and bird feathers if its not diluted before they're put in.

And I wish I was joking but i actually did build a shed outside with extra counter tops and stuff I had just as a chicken washing room. It's not heated so i have to bring birds back in the house to dry off but it has power and running water. It only took a couple of times washing birds in the house before i was convinced to do it. An angry bird in a sink full of water can be a very messy thing.

Does it work to calm them down if you put something like a small bag over their head?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Just call me Zeta. We are all friends here.

The fact is I'm not really upset. The guy is a friend of a friend, he does quality work at a fair price, he shows up when he says he will. I was talking with other friends and co-workers and they said that contractors have weird bonds with their dogs. It's not like having 2 week old chickens in the basement is a normal thing, and I didn't think to tell him ahead of time.

Plus they cost about $4.00 each, I bought more than I need, and in a way it was a relief it was instant because I had just leaned boards up against each other and I was afraid 2 of them got out and were wandering around the basement hungry and scared.

Still, I've known a lot of contractors and none of them brought their dogs with them on jobs in other people's homes, special bond or not. It's just unprofessional.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

The rooster is not sitting on the hen.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Chido posted:

I was talking with my sister this morning and she told me that I should start writing a blog or make a website about the chickens. Basically just post stories and anecdotes about them. She was listening to the radio the other and and head a caller describe how he makes his income mostly from the ads in his esoteric website. She said that I should give it a try and see if my writing style is appealing enough to get some extra income. Should I do it?

Do this. I will add you to my Bloglovin, which is currently all nail polish blogs.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've always heard outstanding things about Blogger.

Plus, it's owned by Google, I believe.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Sometimes you have hens that regard any roundish object as an egg, like Poof did the other day...

She's getting blinder by the day and mostly navigates by feel/sound now. I was putting away Christmas stuff and found her carefully snuggling in amongst these ornaments, quietly trilling and clucking to them.

This is the most thing that has ever been posted anywhere ever.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

Inara died this afternoon, RIP little girl. You were almost one.
I'm a complete wreck right now - she was far and away my favourite girl. Not sure if I'll be able to do an autopsy, or even what I should do with her body.

I found her lying facedown outside a nestbox, no signs of struggle or injury but a bit of clear pinkish (bloody?) fluid seeping from her vent. She was just fine this morning - when I found her rigor mortis had set in but she was still warm. We had some particularly strained lay-cackling happening earlier in the afternoon - I know I shouldn't but I keep going back to the thought that if I'd checked on her then, she might still be alive now.

I already miss her so much and am falling apart bawling as I type. Oh god

I'm sorry to hear about your hen. A suggestion for what you can do with her that you may like: Bury her in a corner of the garden where the chickens live and plant a flower bush over her. She'll help nourish the plant and you'll have a pretty remembrance of her where she lived.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

Holy poo poo don't get so mad at an 11-year-old

11 is old enough to know better than to mess around when it comes to injured animals, and it's reasonable to be upset when it resulted in Mega's wound being torn open again. She'll learn from the experience.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Real talk: I love this thread and want to keep reading it without the FYAD sewage that has leaked in. Maybe time for a new chicken thread? Would be cool to see a lot of the thread's repository of info made into a comprehensive OP or series of posts.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

I'm glad to hear Baba reincarnated with VS, though.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Chido posted:

Roo didn't make it.

Day ruined. He was a drat fine boy, and looked good in a dress too.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

unprofessional posted:

Lot more yolk to albumen than a chicken egg, so richer in that regard. Not terribly different, though, no. I did it over easy and topped some salmon with. Was really a tasty meal.

Interesting how a number of people I've told have thought it was gross or that they wouldn't eat a duck egg.

I will eat all the duck eggs they don't.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Chido posted:

Sorry, but I'm eating all the ggs!

Smash Mouth should have tried to eat duck eggs

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

WrathofKhan posted:

Happily, a friend is ordering in some chicks from Meyer Hatchery, so I'm going to get chick to slip under her sometime next week. I hope that works, because if it doesn't I have no other options.

I love this. You can just stuff a chick under her and her silly little chicken brain will just go YES THIS BABY MUST BE MINE.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Greycious posted:

So we have a nearly full bag of scratch that is tainted by some little worms that are spinning silk in there. Is it okay to feed the chickens still? I mean, the worms will just be bonus snacks, right?

Used to happen to my pigeon's feed, little weevils and such. We just stuck the stuff in an outside freezer to kill the bugs and served it to her with dead bugs and all. Extra protein!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Greycious posted:

Okay, I figured it probably wouldn't hurt them.

I think the bag might have come like that because it's a pretty new bag, and we keep it on our enclosed porch that isn't usually buggy.

I did think of freezing it but we have a pathetically small and overstuffed freezer, so we'd have to freeze like a single ziploc bag at a time and well, yeah,

Yeah, if you keep the bag outside regularly, I wouldn't even worry about it. We used to keep her seeds inside, though, so we made sure the bugs were all dead before it came in. Also, they were tiny tubs of seeds, maybe no more than a gallon sized jug's worth total at a time, so no real hardship on finding space in the freezer for a day. I imagine the chicken feed bag is significantly larger.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Chido posted:

I have to confess something. I don't quite like Tabasco 100% because he's much more hyper than Roostroyer was, and the horny cock has pecked my feet rather hard a couple of times already. He's never tried to flog me yet, though. Also dust my ghetto head henhoe has never been friendly exactly, and I'm not too attached to her.

However, these two have earned their food. A couple of days ago a hawk landed on the grass in the backyard. We have the yard divided in half with a silt fence because of house remodeling, and the chickens have been pretty good at staying on their enclosure, even though they can jump over the tarp of the fence (it's only about 3 feet high). Anyways, at first I couldn't see what the commotion was about. It was early in the morning, almost 8am, and I was half asleep. So I see most of the chickens gathered around and under our pomegranate tree, and only see Tabasco's huge comb on the opposite side from where the chickens are.

Then I see it. The hawk was on the ground and flew to the tarp to perch there. Then I see dust mad as hell (she's barely getting over a broody stint)jump from behind the tarp and tackle the hawk. she landed outside and the hawk flew and perched on the fig tree. Dust jumps back in and rushes to the fig tree, Tabasco closely following her behind. Both of them are screaming like possessed b y a bird devil and were probably yelling "huh you want a piece of me you muthafucka HUH HUH YOU STUPID PIECE OF poo poo COME DOWN HERE I DARE YOU HUH HUH WHAT'S WRONG YOU SCARED MUTHAFUCKA HUH HUH HUH!?" in bird lingo (well, dust probably was saying that, Tabasco was most likely saying "yeah what she said yeah you afraid of us, huh?"). they both were all fluffed up and looked twice their size and look so angry the hawk didn't even try to find another spot to perch on and try to get breakfast. It just flew away.

It was a pretty amusing way to start the day.

Your birds are hard as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I'm wondering if it was a weasel--like someone's ferret they got tired of and turned loose or something. Since she wasn't eaten, just killed by a head wound, it could have been. Weasels tend to kill at the head/back of neck.

Chico, don't get discouraged. One year I lost 7 birds in 2 1/2 months. It sucks, but it happens with chickens...

I wouldn't guess a ferret. They die very quickly if they escape or are set loose. No sense in their heads at all, and most of the pet ones in the US are mill bred and have basically zero real prey drive.

Sorry for your loss, Chido.