Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Chido posted:

Roo looking cool with a hat.

This picture is begging for a Scumbag Steve macro. Except Roo is clearly not a scumbag so I can't bring myself to disparage him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Maximusi posted:

I thought those hens were retired and they wouldn't lay eggs anymore? That's cool though.

When I was a kid, my grandpa bought a lot of 100 "retired" battery hens, many of which were still pretty good layers. I assumed they based it on age, and not all hens are created equal?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I would think a premade shed should work ok, but you may need to cut in some extra ventilation.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I always worry when I see people buying chicks at the feed store, in case they have no idea what they're doing. There's a guy at my work who actually made me cry last year with his tale of how he bought ducklings at the hardware store to give them to his kids for Easter. They were little fuzzy yellow babies, who lasted in his house for less than a day before being banished to the (unheated) garage because "they are so loud and they poop". He kept them in a cardboard box with with a bowl of water that they refilled once a day, and fed them chunks of bread and birdseed.

Later he put the box in the backyard. "It was raining, but that's ok because they're ducks. I was worried that they would fly away but I don't think these are the kind of ducks that grow wings."
:suicide:

After about a week he stopped talking about the ducklings. He had mentioned taking them out to his sister who has a farm, so I like to think there was a happy ending. But I'm fairly sure they just died. :(

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
You had best keep in touch with the new owners so you can post photos of Roo's babies as they grow. :3:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
My mom used to tell me that double-yolk eggs only occur if they're fertilized. But she also told me ponies were baby horses, so... grain of salt.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Don't let them fool you, chickens are just fuzzy derpy-looking dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Do they still make those teeny little sunglasses for chickens? I saw them on Antiques Roadshow once; they come tinted in green or red and they're supposed to reduce chicken aggression somehow. I really really think you should invest in those and report back to the internet on the results.