Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

My sister has been using my camera so much lately that I feel I need to ask for permission to borrow my camera :mad:. Roostroyer is so big and fluffy now! :(

Has he been behaving himself around Rusty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

He stills pecks her at dusk when getting inside the coop, but it's much better now :).

That's good. I was a bit worried.

...and I fully admit that I am a dork.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

stereobreadsticks posted:

I know they eat bugs all the time and a lot of the bugs aren't exactly sanitary but what if the rat had died from eating d-con at a neighbor's house, is it possible this could have an effect on the birds?

I wouldn't be overly concerned but the quantity that they would have eaten would have been really small if it was even metabolized by the maggots, but if they start acting lethargic or start hemorrhaging or bleeding (many rat poisons are anticoagulants) get them to a vet immediately. I did a wikipedia search for rodenticides and that was the advice that they recommended for dogs. I imagine if the chickens would have a reaction, it would be similar. Keep an eye on them for 1-2 weeks for suspicious symptoms. Some rat poisons have a delayed reaction because rats are very suspicious creatures and won't eat things that taste off.

I also found this article that may answer your question. I didn't read the whole thing, but it is a rundown of 9 different rodenticides and their effect on non-target animals. I hope it helps.

http://pi.ace.orst.edu/search/getDocketDocument.s?document=EPA-HQ-OPP-2006-0955-0005

Also keep us posted. :ohdear:

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

stereobreadsticks posted:

Thanks for that, honestly I doubt it'll be a problem but I'll keep a closer eye on them for the next couple of weeks. On another subject the relationship my dog has with the chickens is hilarious, when they're resting in the yard he'll bed down next to them like they're his babies and when they're wandering around he likes to try to herd them back into their run. He's a great help in getting them to go back in at the end of the day.

It's like he's the Head Roo! :3: That is so cool! I want chickens. drat urban apartment living.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
Thanks for sharing! Your flock is certainly growing, but it's becoming more adorable by the day. :3:

Does Dust get along with the others? How long have you had her?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Nettle Soup posted:

RIP Thorax...

So sorry to hear about your rooster. You gave him love and a good home, and it seems that he especially appreciated it near the end.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

meriruka posted:

Here's Jerry with some of his children....he's a great daddy.

I want to pet Jerry so bad. He looks so soft. I have never seen such a beautiful turkey. Most of my experience is with wild ones, and they tend to be quite ugly.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

spookygonk posted:

All four hens alive and shouting to get out of the nest this morning, apart from Boo who needed helping out. All have been eating and drinking (they're not used to sleeping for 16 hours at a time) and the pecking order is starting. Unsurprisingly, it's Pip who is vying for the top spot as it was she that had the least in captivity.

Other news:

Two eggs!*

*Yes, I know hens lay eggs and I have a half dozen shop bought eggs in the cupboard.

Glad to hear that they are doing well. Please keep us posted on their progress. How big are they?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

c355n4 posted:

I think she just needs an excuse to get more hens. :p

Roo is a horny dude.

No problem with that. More hens means more pictures! Go! Chido! Go! I live vicariously through your images.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

spookygonk posted:

We got one like that:

... but she's feathering up nicely now. :unsmith:

I really can't believe how much they've improved in the short time that you have had them. When they first arrived they looked so rough: few feathers and droopy, pale combs. They look so much better.

Do they trust you enough for cuddles (although with those feathers coming in they probably don't want to be touched at all)? Or does their previous life preclude any touching?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
Is it sad that this is the first thread that I check every day?

I love living vicariously though all of you chicken keepers. Thank you for amusing me.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
Chicks are pipping on Chickcam!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476644

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

My nieces spent the afternon with the people that adopted Roo's babies. We got videos! The chicks will be 3 weeks old this Friday.

7 chicks, one big bug. (Jaydan is a 6 year old kid who is a bit of a pain in the butt XD)

They look like a perfect combination of Roo and their mama. :3:

Also, your nieces are wonderful: "Jayden, get out! This is for my aunt!"

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

CantDecideOnAName posted:

This chicken has the most beautiful feathers. I must have stared at that pattern for a good two minutes. Does anyone know what kind of chicken she is?

Is little Napoleon growing on you?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Captain Foxy posted:

I was at the family farm up in Vashon, WA, and snapped a few pics of my dad's beloved flock.

This is our main roo, named Louis the 16th, as all of our roos have been named for their always present potential to lose their head.

Have you ever actually seen Louis move? I'm convinced that he's just a bunch of chicken parts glued together and stuffed.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Roostroyer had babies?! When did this happen?

Roostroyer impregnated one of the stray chicken hos. She disappeared for a few weeks and came back asking for child support.

The arrival of the kids is announced on page 21, and Chido posts an update (with video :3:) on page 23.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

I don't have ay crate big enough to keep him isolated during the day :(, and Roo never sleeps on a roost. I'm gonna try the booties, or at least wrap his feet in bandages with gauze covered in neosporin against the ball of his foot. Should I try to remove the scab, or just leave it like that to heal on its own?

I don't have chickens, but the general rule is that you shouldn't pick off scabs because scabs provide protection against dirt and bacteria while the new skin grows in. I think that the Neosporin, periodic Epsom salt baths, and scrubbing should be enough.

Again, I know more about people wounds (lots of first aid classes) than chicken problems, so others may be able to offer better advice.

Poor Roo. :(

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

Oh yeah, I got now 5 chickens wearing a saddle. This is how they all react to the saddle.

I think you found the kryptonite for your super chickens.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

Thank you piscesbobbie! In other news, Roo somehow managed to break one of his spurs completely in the hour I took a nap. The spur was just holding by a bit of tissue, and while my BIL was holding him and my mother was checking the wound (I was inside grabbing the bandages and first aid stuff to wash and treat the wound), Roo managed to removed it completely. I don't know if it will grow back, it broke off completely at the base. For once my mother was being nice (or her version of nice), and she washed his leg and put on the bandage... while telling me I should just put on the gauze and nothing more, that I shouldn't wrap up the gauze in the watrproof tape I bought, etc.

I tried to ignore that and told her to just humor me, and we finished bandaging his foot. Dammit Roo, stop hurting your giant footsies!

Wow, he's just falling apart. Poor Roo. :ohdear:

You are a beautiful, caring, and thoughtful person. If only everyone took care of their pets as well as you do, the world would be a better place.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

Update on Roo's feet. I showed this to the people in chickam chat, and they say his feet are looking better.

The Princess' feet after being scrubbed clean.

Dumb Roo, stop hurting your foot, you already got bumblefoot plus ripped claw now you broke off your spur. All in the same foot, you dumb cock :argh:

It's looking so much better. Your hard work has definitely paid off.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

Spaghetti didn't make it. I was hoping she'd make it at least one more week until I get paid so I could take her to the vet, but she died some time early this morning. I fed her some watermelon and baby food last night and she ate it, but I guess her body couldn't keep going.

I don't wanna go to work today. I know she was only a chicken but it hurts, she was my grumpy lady and the sweetest of them all.

I'm so sorry. You are a great chicken mom, and you should be proud of the great life that you gave her.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

Roostroyer

I love that you have to hold all of the other chickens for the picture, but Roo just stands there. He knows how good he looks. Quite the dapper gentleman.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

My eye healed fine :D. I'm getting 4 chicks I ordered from mypetchicken.com. I guess I'll start keeping her in th crate this sunday, and see how it goes.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Glad to hear that your eye healed well.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

... Well, it seems our house has an invisible sign that reads Wayward house for domestic poultry. The neighbors across the street have quails and one wandered from their open gate to our front yard. My BiL called me to check what bird it was, grabbed it, and went to ask around to see who it belonged to. *sigh* Those neighbors also have a couple of horses and a goat :3:

Well, you are an awesome chicken mom, so maybe the quail just wanted some pampering too.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
Love the names! It's so sad that these girls have to struggle so early in life, but you (and your nieces) will get them through.

Have fun and good luck at class today.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Inveigle posted:

ChidoCam Video #1: Where's Mom?

Chido leaves the room to get coffee and Waffle becomes very upset and starts searching for her "Mom." There follows four minutes of frantic, non-stop cheeping/screeching for Chido, with both chicks performing a duet at the end. Chido returns and the chicks are happy again. :3:

http://youtu.be/4pQpGTGeV3Y

Imprinting in action!

The peeps just get louder and louder. Once they got to their loudest, my finches started cheeping along. It was hilarious.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Heres some slightly less terrible photos to go with the videos I posted earlier,I took a lot less than I thought originally, next show ill take more of various breeds.

Sebright pictures to start off.

Intellectually I know that this is a picture of a real chicken, but every time I see a picture of a sebright, something breaks in my mind. My brain cannot fathom how this is not a statue of a chicken. It is just so... perfect.

Thanks for the pics, Tim!

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

I made one in blogger, since I have a gmail account, and already titled it The Roostroyer and the Henhoes Saga... Now if I change it to Princess Roo and the Henhoes, hmmm.

I'll post a link here later once I have stuff actually written in it.
Edit: maybe I can get the girls and my sister, to get a picture of Roo in his tuxedo and two hens on his side in dresses, a la James bond.

I use blogger for my cooking/baking blog and have been quite happy with it. (Vegan Chocolate-Covered Espresso Bean Brownies and Vegan Swedish Fish Cupcakes! Woot!) It is pretty easy to use, and it's easy to share the posts on facebook and twitter.

Wordpress is a little more complicated (I'm webmaster for a non-profit organization that uses it), but it does have increased functionality. Honestly, I prefer blogger for my blog. It is just so quick and easy. I think that there's even some opportunities for monetizing through the site, but I don't use them so I don't know much about them. You chose well.

When you do start posting, I'll happily be one of your followers.

luloo123 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 22, 2012

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Pardalis posted:

I'm horrible and didn't stream the very successful hatching I had two weeks ago so have a photo of scruffy baby quail cuddle pile instead.

Were you able to fix the temperature problems this time around?

How many eggs did you start with?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

spookygonk posted:

The trouble with ex-batts is they're pretty much worked laying eggs until they're nearly worn out before the whole contents of the barn is shipped out to be minced animal feed (and the system restarts over with new hens). The lucky few that get rescued come out in a terrible state and, hopefully, with love and care they can get their health and feathers back. Once the egg laying starts to fail, it pretty much never returns to normality and that's when sterile peritonitis sets in; albumen falls into the stomach cavity, rather than the normal oviduct and it all starts building up. The pressure builds in the abdominal cavity, the hen has trouble sitting or even breathing and becomes, understandably listless. If a hen then goes into a natural (eg Winter) moult, when she naturally stops laying eggs, the fluids can be reabsorbed, and the symptoms decrease. If bacteria gets into liquid then it becomes septic peritonitis and that is more than likely a death sentence for a hen.

We had to have one of our hens drained by the vet when this happened, he took about 300ml of yellow liquid from her swollen belly and diuretics helped remove the rest along with the antibiotics to prevent infection. Of the original three hens, we definitely lost one to peritonitis, possibly two. The third who had the above treatment by the vet made a full recovery, but six months later was diagnosed with liver cancer and we had her put to sleep.

For us, looking after ex-batts is not about the eggs, so now any hen that shows definite signs that their egg production is failing we get them the implant. It allows them to do all the running, digging and mooching for treats they want (in what was left of our back garden) without having to worry about their insides. We still have two hens, Boo & Pip (alpha hen) still laying normally.

Hope this made sense.

Wow. All the more reason that you are a saint for doing this. I take it that the hens are just so broken by their intense situation at the farm that their poor bodies just can't take it any more. I'm glad that you have the compassion and ability to give them the life that they deserve.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Bantaras posted:

You guys had some good ideas, especially about the online shop. I really can't see how I can set up an Etsy store because of how each feeder is different and has to be approved before I can commit to printing and construction. If anyone has a suggestion I'd love to get some advice.

There are options on etsy for "made-to-order" and special orders. I have sold on etsy, but never used those options. As I understand, you would just put up a blank version and some samples, and then when someone puts in an order they would have to submit their logo to you.

I'm a non-chicken owner, but I'm trying to talk my family into starting a flock. I would totally buy a couple of these from you if they eventually set up a coop.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Inveigle posted:

Velvetsparrow and 12_String have the best camera setups for close-up cam shots. :)

For those curious, my second most-popular video is: Smokey the Rooster Frightens Baby Chicks. So adorable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsO5XsVOJec

I'm pretty sure that at least thirty of those views for the Smokey video were me. I love how the chicks just disappear in the corner.

This video was recommended after I watched the Smokey video for the 31st time. Jake the Rooster calls his ladies over for treats. http://youtu.be/TZ8692hhQHs Jake is awesome.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Mine stole my tasty peanut butter corn thin and sprinted around in circles grabbing it off one another and freaking out. They also sit under the pony's head when he's eating his bucket of chaff and gobble up any bits that fall out of his mouth!

They definitely love squishy food the best. Kali and Alecto completely ignore fresh cucumbers, but horrible melting cucumbers are fantastic - especially split open so they can get at the seeds. I've tried feeding them fresh apples and pears, too, but they weren't very interested at all, until they've had enough time to sit and decompose. They also seem to appreciate having the more unwieldy things held in place for them while they eat. That could be me spoiling them, but it's worth it to see a happy chicken neck deep in a cucumber. :)

I wonder if your chickens like the alcohol in the decomposing fruit.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

For your own safety (at the hands of your wife) I recommend clipping ASAP.

Well, our styro Little Giant forced air incubator started fluctuating like a mad bitch after have three test eggs in it for two days. End of using styro for us!
I just pulled the trigger on a brand new ReptiPro 6000 incubator, no egg turners since I'll be hand turning the lil' suckers. Also, lookit that huge viewing pane for the cam!

Chickam is goin' high-tech. :black101:

Very cool! How many eggs are you planning on incubating this year?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

How can a white chicken be so very colorful? Tim, you are magic.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

VVVV Oh for gently caress's sake.

My sentiments exactly.

How did Monday's candling go?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

unprofessional posted:

Oh god, who just bought two red shouldered yokohama roosters ($4.50/each), a polish rooster ($4), a sumatran rooster ($5) and four muscovy duck hens ($4/each)?

This guy.

Pictures or it didn't happen! :colbert:

Fake edit: Seriously, congratulations. You got some gorgeous breeds. Why did you get so many roosters? Isn't that problematic?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Yay! :neckbeard: Thanks for sharing. The Polish looks so delightfully surly. Do they have names yet?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The new kinder kids will have to vote on a name, they get to name one of the chicks. :) There will be a pop-out screen that will show just the picture, no chat--it should be great for kids since chat can get more than it's fair share of language, plus idiots sometimes come in and post innappropriate BS before we can ban them. Here is the link for the kids:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008/pop-out

We tested the cam last night in nighttime lighting conditions, we'll be doing the same today for daylight. Had some audio bugs last night that 12_String ironed out, and the stream worked fine while I played Halo 4, so our Internet connection can handle it. :v:

I got a plaintive, bored-sounding 'PEEP!' out of egg #25 about half an hour ago. :keke:

Edit: Frilled Lizard, awesome! Great to have more schools watching, I know hatching chicks is very big in Kindergartens!

I'm so excited to meet the new kids. Do you think some might make their debut early?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Fake edit: luloo123, you hexed us! :aaa:

Oops. I do tend to do that, don't I. I'm glad the little chickie is doing well. I hope it isn't too long until she has company.