Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chido posted:

I want my fortune told by Bear, please let it not be more chicken poo poo on my shoulders, please :ohdear:

It's turkey poo poo next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Didn't Pardalis literally post that quail and the clippers picture in this thread? You aren't awful for slaughtering your own meat. Hell, you're better than most that are too cowardly to do it. :colbert:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chido posted:

Man, I wish I could dare to process my own meat, but I'm powerless against so much cuteness. I wouldn't be able to avoid naming every single quail and put tiny barbie dresses on them and cuddle them instead of eating them :qq:

Whenever I get whatever I end up getting to slaughter for the house, their ceremonial sacrificial dinner outfit is going to be a frilly pink dress in honor of Roo and all the other dress up chickens. :black101:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I’m so confused and a bit hurt by my downstairs neighbors. I’m now getting about 2 or 3 eggs a day so I gave them half a dozen. They gave them back to me. I didn’t realize it, but they somehow convinced themselves that my chickens are disease bombs because I have 13 of them and they make poo poo, and somehow chicken poo poo is like poison. All they can picture is eggs coming out of the chickens butt out of the same hole poo poo comes out of.

I can’t figure it out. In the space where I have 13 there would be at least 1000 battery chickens stuffed into cages 10 deep breathing air so full of ammonia it’s toxic, and everything would probably be kept going by poorly paid undocumented workers. And they are still coming out of chicken butts.

It reminds me of my ex who wouldn’t eat carrots that came from my garden because he saw me pulling them out of dirt.

A lot of people are really removed from how we get our food and the idea of how, say, those carrots get from the garden to their plate does not matter to them (they do not want to hear about it and it's probably gross to them) as long as it's there when they want it. And people don't trust home grown stuff a lot because it doesn't come in a fancy box or carton from the grocery store, which is totally safe all the time don't you know?

:shobon: I think you did a nice thing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

There was a roo perched on my fence today, yelling at us to get up. The dogs were goddamn fascinated. I went to catch him and pitch him back in the neighbor's yard, but by the time I grabbed gloves he had already disappeared. I thought chickens were fairly slow. :ohdear:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

As for Chickam naming

No Roses, no Waffles. :cry:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's gonna be less pretty when your chicken eggs hatch out as basilisks. :ohdear:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You know as soon as those chicks are old enough to fend for themselves, all of the girls will go broody and not a minute sooner. Are you starting naming submissions on the chickam thread? And is it just me or are some of those eggs enormous?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hell, I dunno. You sound a lot more patient and nicer to her than I'd have been treated if I'd done something that dumb at 11 even if you included that last bit.

Can you put stitches in a chicken? Would that help her if a vet did that?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Well, at least the chickens will be in fine fashion to go to the beach when it warms up a bit more. :bigtran:

I'm curious how much you have to shear off and how often you have to shear it off.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tricky Twisty posted:

I read that smelly things that you feed chickens will have their smell go into the egg, true or false?

That's true, but it's usually very pungent things so it's easy to avoid it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pardalis had some quail she slaughtered. There was also a backyard rabbit meat thread a while back in GWS, though I don't know if it's been archived and there's a huge livestock thread in A/T that talks about slaughter. I think (mostly?) everyone in this thread keeps them as pets with the perk of eggs, though.

Which isn't to say anybody has a problem with slaughtering and eating chickens (I think), it's more just that they want eggs and pets rather than meat.

If we ever have a rental that allows us to have chickens (or when we settle down) I fully intend on having them for both purposes, which is one reason I follow this thread so closely.

E: see? I'm wrong, we do have some that keep them for meat too. Awesome!

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 16, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

I hope the dye isn't bad for them :ohdear:

It's injected into the egg when they're developing. It kills a lot of them. Most countries don't dye live chicks. I saw them all over the place at the festivals in Japan and a lot of animal rights groups are really outspoken about not supporting it. But if the chick still hatches, nah, it shouldn't bother them.

Are they just slinging chicks in those paper bags?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oh honey I'm so sorry. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chido posted:

Well, I just got a bit of news that cheered me up. I thought the family who took Roo's babies traded them all but one for other chickens. I was wrong. They traded one rooster, kept one hen, and gave the rest to their son's friend's family. My nieces told me the babies have been busy making more babies, so Roo's legacy does indeed live on! :unsmith:

Any chance of you getting a roo from those babies to keep the ladies in line down the road? And how are the hens taking it?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chido posted:

Tim, you should ship me one of your cockerels, my henhoes need a tiny pimp to keep them in check :3:

If you get a really tiny angry little roo, please be a stereotype and name him Napoleon.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Respectfully, VS, I think that hawk might need to keep an eye out for Chido's :ese: chickens. :ohdear:

It's a quiet evening in fall when all of a sudden, machine gun fire erupts near a hawk's nest. There's no proof, no bodies, no anything by the time the cops get there because that hawk got mowed down by the Cartel. ...The chicken cartel. *dramatic reverb*

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lynza posted:

He has this darling little crest, which I have photographed in the worst possible way. I have brought shame to my family's name (my dad was a professional photographer).

Little dude was shivering a bit, it's kinda cold in here. We figure we'll put him out with the ladies tomorrow, if the weather isn't super awful. It's been relatively warm for the last week or so, and I'm hoping we'll get lucky.

You said he's mellow so my vote goes for Zen.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Well if we're gonna be goony about it, his name should be Drumstick.

E: Tenderloin, Crispy, Mealsworth.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Schmooz the lttle sucker with goodies, handle him a lot and make him love ya. I know about Dahlia & Daisy, what are the names of your other chickens? Maybe we can go with a same-theme name here...

With the silly doodad on his head you could go with Dandelion or Thistle... :keke:

In other news, this year's hatch at our house may experience their first snowfall today or tonight...

Dandelion would be adorable because you could call him Dandy :keke:

How do the chickens do (historically) with first snows?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aw Chido, I'm really sorry.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

There is a chicken hatching in my house RIGHT NOW and I'm a terrible person because I don't have a webcam :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do then as it's illegal to have roosters in the city, and I want eggs not crowing.

Eat him or give him away to somebody on craigslist. Those are pretty much your only options in your case from the sound of it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You know, it'd be pretty lovely and stupid if he'd just cut it's head off (and still illegal). But why the gently caress would you beat the chicken with a shovel? That's stupid. Like VS said, that's where it passes into animal cruelty and the dude oughta get his rear end kicked for it (but he won't because "it's a chicken who cares" will be laughed out and then he'll shoot some black kid or something down the road and they'll all get up in arms about the chicken then because "we should've seen it coming!")

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

bewbies posted:

My neighbors utterly horrible dachsund got into our backyard when my chickens were out and about and hurt one of them pretty badly. My girlfriend who has gotten very attached to the chickens saw it and went full mama-bear on the dog and chased it down the street with a hockey stick. Chicken had a huge wound on her back and lost all but one tail feather...I was pretty sure she wasn't gonna make it. Gave her some aspirin and cleaned/disinfected the wound and put her in a little bed so she'd be comfy as she expired.

As of today she's running around with the flock just like nothing is wrong and her wound has healed so well it is almost gone. She has a little limp but otherwise seems just fine.

In conclusion I did not realize how tough chickens are.

Prey animals hide pain extremely well because otherwise they're eaten first. Stay wary if she's showing a limp.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

torgeaux posted:

I'm putting my coop together today/tomorrow. I only want 4 birds, but you can't really order that few. I want chicks to raise so the dogs get used to them. Any suggestions?

You can order as few as three chicks through my pet chicken. They aren't the best in the world, but you can do it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So. How do you catch a human hating chicken that's in a huge bramble of blackberries and knows how to outwit a net? And a humane trap? Because I'm thinking gattling gun at this point.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

We caught haterade last night, almost a week after she escaped. Apparently her wings were -not- clipped and now she's all sorts of mannerly and begging for treats since she's inside the pen with the others. Flirts with the black roo really hardcore too. Much as I like the lavender, it might be the black one that stays.

And haterade really, really likes bugs. She murdered the gently caress out of every anthill she finds. Everybody else ignores them.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Wait, wait, WAIT--you have a CHICKEN that eats ants?! Clone that mother fucker.

She is insane for anything that creeps, crawls, or skitters across the ground. Including ants. She ripped apart a whole ant mound and was started on another. She's a reptillian brained little thing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'd loan you Haterade but her rat murdering beady eyed face is necessary here. She and my barred rock destroyed a rat that dared put it's paw in the coop. I've never seen chickens play tug of war.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hey chicken people, I know it's december but lol whatever. I'm looking at gardening poo poo already and what's some stuff I can plant for my chickens (and ducks and quail)? I intend to plant in small, flat-ish containers with wire over the top so they can't rip it to shreds and rotate 9 boxes so each box (3 boxes in at a time) has a couple weeks to recover.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

Does anyone have a pattern for one of those rooster collars?

One of the chicks we hatched is driving me absolutely insane. We're gonna try fobbing him off onto my brother, but if that doesn't work out, he's gonna have to be dinner. He starts crowing about 4am and doesn't stop until it gets light, at about 9. He doesn't even crow well, he just kinda wails! And I can hear him through the chicken coop + closed windows + other side of the house + the pillow over my head.

I'm going nuts.

Sounds like ideal xmas dinner to me.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

Mum won't let me, and my brother would cry. :(

"Oh no he got away". And then you have him for dinner. Voila.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The last time I got an egg was some time in November but then we've literally been getting like 8-9 hours of light (which is amazing oh my god it's so good)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Erethizon_dorsatum posted:

That's quite a gap. What breeds do you have?

Chickens.

Non-sarcastic answer: there's a shitlord buff orpington that I'm going to murder for dinner one day and it will be Fantastic, Tard the silkie who stands there looking very sad about all the rain but won't go in any of the multiple shelters (she's not harassed, there is often nobody in any of the other shelters and she just stands there being stupid as poo poo), a barred rock, australorps, and easter eggers.

It's just because we're getting 8 hours of light a day, or less, and it's foggy lovely light with a whole hell of a lot of cold. They stopped during the first cold snap (and then some proceeded to molt because that's what all the smart chickens are doing these days you guys) and I don't expect them to pick up at all until much later. I don't have any lamps on them or anything like that. My quail and ducks aren't laying either.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Our Silkies and Polish chickens have always been great about the rain. As in THEY STAND OUT IN IT and refuse to take cover, then their crests get weighted down and they enjoy a bout of Head Boink syndrome, staggering around unable to eat, drink or walk prpoperly, looking like they are going to die.

Every time it rained hard we'd have to either lock them up in the coop or bring them into the house and dry them with the hair dryer before Head Boink set in. Dumb chickens.

Also, bad weather is ALWAYS the humans' fault. Always. And they will be thoroughly scolded/whined at by all flock members.

Thankfully neither Tard nor her little boyfriend have quite that much head floof, so they just stand there together looking like the stupidest lawn ornaments known to anybody, ever. (While Haterade endlessly calls to them because what the gently caress are you doing? The dry is right here.)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

How sure are you guys that that bird isn't dead? Because I'm surprised at there being like almost no wing flapping going on.

E: especially as floppy as his neck is on that first turn.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The Rat posted:

Hard to say. When he first started developing, I noticed that the comb and wattles were both tiny, like his mom Crimson Typhoon, so I assumed he was a hen. Then today I was out feeding them and thought to myself, "Hey, Groot's starting to get sickle feathers on the tail, wonder if that's just from being half-Cochin or-" and then he interrupted me with a gargly-sounding crow and I went "aw, gently caress."

I'm no stranger to hens crowing, I mean we used to have a Polish that did that. So I guess we'll see!

He's saying "I am Food(t)".

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My chicken feeders are startin to piss me off and I'm gonna set them on fire and it's gonna be great stress relief. Pretty bad for my lungs tho since they're pvc and I'm terrible at building Everything Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I pick up mine, turn them upside down and hack off their feathers like a mean old bitch because I don't want them getting over the fence. They scream and fuss and I tell them to shut up. (then I give them shitloads of radishes, cranberries, raspberries and mealworms as rewards and they act like I'm an angel again. until next time.)