Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Well you picked the right name for Napoleon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

5er posted:

Going to be real difficult not winding up naming one of those birds Rona.

Rona and Roni

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Minor uplift: duck egg production went from 3 per day to SIX overnight and they all yelled at me for taking their shell children. I am not sorry. the ducks plot to increase production to confuse me and perhaps satiate my need for their infantile flesh.

also the llama ran across the pasture to carefully inspect the eggs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I had a feather-shaped necklace once and it was not infrequently mistaken for a leaf. :(

Also, Cyrano hadn't known about Avs' weird only-permaed-if-you-look-directly-at-her status. Admins had a chat last night and we're officially lifting the perma.

blessed be the birb

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

5er posted:

Dry oatmeal oats. My adult chickens love them, and the babies just go apeshit over them.

You can get these in a 50lb bag at tractor supply for so, so cheap

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That Works posted:

I give them maybe 2 tbls (split between 10 chicks) maybe 2x a day just so they will come sit on my hands and eat.

Also, we have some chick grit and they have gone into it pretty enthusiastically. So far all seem healthy. It's amazing how much they change in appearance every day (except the buff orps, they just get bigger and stay little golden fluffs).

The 3 silver / gold wyandotte chicks were a little bigger and now they are flapping wings around a lot and perching up on things and generally run to the door and jump on my hand as soon as I open the cage. Pretty cool little guys.

The coop is coming together. No work today since it's 100% chance of rain until midnight here.

So uh, not looking forward to this but our batch of chicks is going to probably have a few roosters. Is there a good resource for best practices on humanely killing / cleaning? I have experience prepping ducks from hunting them as a teenager, but it's been 20 years since I've done that. I don't intend to raise the birds for meat, but we can't have roosters here and unless I can find someone to take them off my hands I'd rather at least make use of them :smith:

broomstick, over the head, stand on the broomstick as it lays across their neck, yank their legs back in one shift jolt until you feel the pop. Flap flap, chicken dinner. They dress basically the same as you remember cleaning ducks. They flap less than a poorly shot duck.

good coop imo.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

5er posted:

Yeah, I get that. I uncontrollably, automatically emotionally invest in any animal I take care of however.

every time someone brings up eating chickens you get really weird. maybe you need to make a pets only chicken thread?

someone is going to take this snotty because everyone thinks I'm a huge bitch but I mean, you seem actual upset about the idea of meat animals being used as meat animals and it concerns me that you get upset.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

5er posted:

I wasn't judging, I really was just making conversation, expressing and exploring what I acknowledge as my own personal aversion and resistance to raising anything I intended to kill and eat myself. I was raised on subsistence farming, and have seen plenty of animals humanely raised, and just as humanely slaughtered. I've also been an avid personal enthusiast of studying the philosophy of mind, and it's all just overlapping for me here.

I'm both impressed with, and glad at the level of care you're going to give the birds up until the point they're ready to become food. But it will always make me think of the Hitchiker's Guide restaurant at the end of the universe, where the cow you're going to get a steak from sits down with you to tell you about how good your meal's about to be :)

Better the animal you knew had a happy life than the one that lived on this:

And I mean, that's not a feedlot that's covered with literal piles of poo poo, I guess.

I just thought a pet chicken thread would be right up your alley because you get weird about it and folks could see both sides of it more clearly I guess?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

5er posted:

I wonder how fuckin weird I'll get in the eventuality I own a parrot.

at least as weird as I am about my parrots.

Captain Log posted:

I'm not really seeing how someone is "getting weird" saying they wouldn't be able to do it themselves. It sounds a lot more like conversation to me.

it's more like the long history of 5er getting upset when people post meat birds and talk butcher methods and stuff like that. Yall act like I'm going "HEY FUCKBITCH MAYBE THIS THREAD ISN'T FOR YOU" and I'm just not. I just don't like seeing 5er go D: whenever it's brought up.

And, there's also the point that pet husbandry of chickens is a different thing (especially with medications and withdrawal periods) than eggs/meat birds. I just figure 5er would be one of the best folks in this thread (spoopy would be another) if folks wanted a place specifically to talk pet chickens/quail and to ban meat talk for their comfort.

I do think it's a drawback if you can't euth your own animals because if you come out to a chicken missing half its head from getting swooped and you gotta run it to the vet I... that's a lot of suffering for a bird. But at the same time, I get that it's hard for some folks to put down something they love. It's the whole reason a lot of people don't watch their dog get put down.

Captain Log posted:

She judgin' you.

Ugh, I lost my cockatiels this year. It blowed. I had every loving window in the house open. Every single one. Huge squirrel box fans blowing, towels under their door, everything. I had to use drano to fully unblock a drain. I walked in and all three were dead in a little heap in the corner of their cage. That was a couple of months ago and I'm still debating if I want to go get another little derp buddy. Webster and Michi, the ringnecks, still make cockatiel calls at the cockatiel cage like they're trying to find their little pals.

She's wonderful and I want to give her a nice paper bag to yell at me about.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 18, 2020

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I want to see more of your posts. Learning about raising meat birds is an interesting topic, from both the practicality of it (these birds will not be able to live for long without major health issues) and the emotional side of it.

I was looking up turkeys a while back and it's just... there's something very strange to me about breeding a bird so it will get as big as possible with a giant breast, so it will be delicious. I'm not saying it's wrong - I'm saying that it's strange, and American culture is so distanced from food production that it's something of a culture shock to learn about how we do it these days.

cornish x, broadbreasted, etc really aren't necessarily about taste so much as feed to meat conversion ratios. The heavier the bird is on less feed, the less overhead you have and the more you make.

turkeys are cool friends. they just also die really easily. if you have the right land and the right shelter, they're great and there's a bunch of really gorgeous birds. Royal palms look amazing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Alterian posted:

What if you dislike breast meat and prefer leg meat. Is there a chicken breed that gets thicc legs?

You want pastured rainbow rangers/freedom rangers/god those birds have like 90 names. Preferably roos.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Log posted:

My God, I'm so sorry that happened. I don't have the words for that experience. Birds, as I'm sure you know, are incredibly sensitive to airborne stuff. I don't use nonstick pans for that reason. (Even though they'd have to be heated to 500-600 degrees, which most American ovens cannot do.)

I once lost two family members, a close friend, and all three of my parrots to different causes in a five month period and it nearly broke my brain. I hope you're doing OK.

I'm super careful with everything and I even called their vet to ask about the drano: who said "oh I'm sure it'll be fine".

It was not fine. It wasn't fine at all. I just. every window open. No way for it to get into their room. I did everything and it was just a sad little pile of friends. I'm up and down about it. While I know I couldn't have done anything else and it -had- to be done, if I'd had an outdoor area for them I could've shoved them out there, maybe? Something? But the local stray cats are a problem.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

These diffuses kill each other trying to eat.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VKU72uj

pipe feeders work pretty decent

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Could you imagine 27 of these idiots trying to eat from a pipe feeder? They would murder each other.

a horizontal pipe feeder, not a verticle one.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What would make a several weeks old duckling suddenly stop eating/drinking?

My gf called me this morning saying one of four ducks she's concerned about, but as far as I know, nothing has changed in their habitat or their food/water situation. (duck crumbles/water with electrolytes/duck pellets we haven't used yet afaik, and they have a heat lamp and she gives them a bath every day while she builds the shed thing for them)

Is it doing anything other than not eating? Is the crop totally empty? How hot is it in there?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It was pretty listless and couldn't walk very well. It was apparently fine last night but we found out it had been coughing or wheezing? For a few days. It was brought to the vet and apparently had a viral infection and maybe pneumonia. They suggested putting it down and she decided to do that. :( they didn't have a lot of hope for intubation would help.

She does not have a "shed" built for them outside yet (maybe tomorrow) but for now the remaining three ducklings are in basically a big tote in the bathroom with a infrared heating lamp, and water, and water electrolytes mix, and had duck crumbles and duck pellets. They'd be on pine bedding changed daily and a bath daily.

The ducks are five weeks old.

I haven't really been heavily involved in their husbandry, but this seemed fine for ducklings on Google. They might have had chicken feed maybe in the past but not really since I've been involved in it.

Their legs/knees shake a bit when they are drying off and idk if that's normal or a niacin deficiency, all their food is formulated for duck pellets Purina stuff.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

either lack of b vitamins (which is unlikely considering diet) or it got overheated and died.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

LuckyCat posted:

We started our backyard flock 8 days ago. Definitely learning as we go. One rookie mistake I made was the first few days using straw in their coop as bedding. I’ve since switched over to cedar chips

We know they are frizzled (and adorable!) but can anyone ID the breed?

Frizzles are a breed in most of the world. Where are you at?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

LuckyCat posted:

North Texas. From our online research any breed can be frizzled. Our neighbors have a frizzled barred rock for example!

any breed can be frizzled but Frizzle is also a breed in the US.

Your chickens are Frizzles.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Banty Brahma, yeah.

I just hoped she'd have another five years or so to roam around the yard, take dust baths, feud with her son, and make that "burb wurb burble" noise. None of my chickens are very old, and the ones who have died have died suddenly from what looked like heart failure. I don't think I'll ever buy from a big online breeder again.

Yeah, none of them last very long. You get the occasional show out, but they're bred to be egg machines. Not long-term pals.

If you want long-term, look for show breeders. Those birds last 90,000 years.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Alterian posted:

Does anyone have any experience putting leg bands on chickens? I'd like to be able to identify them a little bit better since we have three of one breed and two of another. Some of the ones on Amazon look like they're just zip ties. I only need five and it looks like most packs are 100 or more.

they just kind of assume the bird's going to rip them off. most don't.

I prefer the clip ones but the zip tie sorts are fine, too. Just leave them a little bitty bit of room and they're fine. If you see them cutting into the bird, hack it off and put some antibiotic stuff on it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lawson posted:

What's a clean-neck?

it's a turken, 5er just forgot the breed

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Are questions about other 'livestock' birds welcome in this thread? I've got chickens, but I'm thinking about getting some quail also. Unfortunately most information is geared towards people who plan to slaughter as soon as they're grown, so they don't much care about quality of life and just keep their birds in big storage tubs. Finding information on how to build an outdoor quail pen with the right kinds of shelter and enrichment is harder. Some places suggest buying rabbit hutches but I don't know how legit that is, and there's practically no info on how to keep them cozy through the winter (maybe move them to a shed?)

... I also want pigeons and ducks but those can wait until I've kept a second type of bird mostly alive.

you're going to have to put quail down inevitably kfbb. if you can't handle that, I strongly suggest not getting the little murderseekers. they desire death and frequently get hurt so bad that they end up needing euthed.

however, if you can, I recommend hanging rabbit cages with 1/4-1/2 spacing on the bottom. If you want to go absolutely nuts, build a greenhouse and set them free.

and factory farms are poo poo. but quail don't care much about their quality of life, either.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

As far as I know, I'm the only ethical person who actually does not sex quail chicks when selling them unsexed. My folks usually got 50/50 or so.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Joburg posted:

Speaking of surprise roosters in particular, I think it’s better for the bird to just be raised in one home and meet a dignified end at 18-20 weeks, rather than have the stress of going to a brand new place (or multiple places) to end up meeting the same fate. Unless he is a rare breed, most roosters don’t get a long life.

And if you have to slaughter any extra roosters yourself, YOU get to determine the how and when. I give them extra treats on the last day and then wait until dark to avoid any sort of stress from having to catch them.

I call them names and insult their mothers.

For real though, I don't even eat meat and the best meat I get to work with is stuff we raise.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

snake and bake posted:

I found someone nearby who has Light Brahmas, but I was feeling kind of worried about those feathery feet being prone to problems. Is that the case?

Edit: I also wondered how well they would handle humid heat with all that fluff. I'm on the Florida coast, it gets super hot for months here and it's always humid.

I'm in GA. Light Brahamas are super popular around here and we're not far from Savannah. You just watch to make sure they don't get mudcakes.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's 120-ish heat index here during the summers. It's only just now 102-108 heat index during the days. I chuck ice out at the birds late in the afternoon, they get fresh water out of the well so whatever the hell temperature that is, and that's about it. I've never lost a chicken to heat issues.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

spookygonk posted:

For some reason pin feathers can be considered a tasty treat for some hens, there's an urge to pluck them out and then go silly over them.

We had to fashion a cape for Daisy a couple of weeks after we rehomed her and Bella as Bella started plucking her newly coming through feathers.

It was only needed for a few days until the feathers had grown enough and by then Bella had lost interest.

Super Daisy:

It's because they itch. I usually slap a little hydrocortisone on it and it seems like it helps out. Capes do, too, but if you ever have one of these suckers that likes to take their cape off; boom, that stuff.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

LuckyCat posted:

One of ours has sour crop and our vet told us to start putting ACV in their water to treat it and prevent it. Idk if there is any truth to it because it’s been a week and the sour crop has not improved.

your vet is a moron. sour crop is caused by a yeast infection and vinegar isn't going to fix it. https://oakabode.com/sour-crop-home-treatment-instructions/ this is similar to what I do.

E: I do recommend finding a vet that will give anti-biotics/anti-fungals to the bird but most won't and it's a pain in the rear end to find a chicken vet. The fact that you can't buy most of them over the counter sucks. So we end up with stuff like the link above working to treat our birds. :smith:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

snake and bake posted:

Lab results came back for my poopy hen. Nothing of concern on the lab report, so it's likely been caused by diet, stress, or heat. I have them on medicated starter, so the vet suggested trying non-medicated feed since the hen came up clear for coccidiosis. Otherwise I'm to keep her clean and monitor her. If she gets worse, we'll try an antibiotic.

try some plain greek yogurt.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

snake and bake posted:

I've tried giving her some on a spoon and she just looked at me scornfully. I put some on a little dish and she trampled through it and made a big mess. :(

tell your chicken it's a bad chicken

Mozi posted:

Man if you don't occasionally take a swig from the apple cider vinegar bottle late at night after polishing off some cheese I don't know what to say.

I don't know how many ways i can say I hate this post.

My own personal chickens: so I have this bird named Zapdos. She likes to shove her head under the hotwire and electrocute herself. She's real into it. Whatever, you do you, bird.

Except she taught Sprinkles, a furious old frizzle, how to do it too. Sprinkles did it once and has been attacking Zapdos ever since, like she literally understands it's that idiot bird's fault. I had to separate them today for a bit.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I hate so many things.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing.818879/ corid instructions.

E: If you need good mouse snap traps, get the ones that look like a slice of cheese. Use a screw, a fork, and a pair of tongs to set and place. Peanut butter or nutella (for those who are putting them out of pet reach) is best. I love mice. I bred mice for a hell of a long while.

Kill the gently caress out of the little bastards in your house. Rats, too. Bucket traps are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgXvD3vm0uo

Instead of just using a fork, I slide a screw under the bait panel, too. Pull the break bar back, pin it with a fork, slide the screw out once it's hooked then slowly let up on it with the fork. Grab it by the sides with a pair of salad tongs in case it decides to try to wreck you mid-trip to wherever it's going. And it's less contact you have with it, so less of your scent on it. Good for shoving it back in little crevices, too.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 2, 2020

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

I caught a blue jay in a snap trap once and felt so bad about it that I don't really want to use them anymore. My next-door neighbor also has chickens and also tried a bucket trap which worked as well as the one I set up, by which I mean not at all. :shrug:

Joburg posted:

I caught some robin feathers in a rat trap once but the robin got away, thank goodness.

Now I set the traps under a box with a hole cut in the side. Sometimes I put sunflower seeds there for a day or 2 to attract them before I set the trap.

If you have dumb baby birds (I have a ton of mockingbirds that nest everywhere around here and a bunch of finches and I love them all) do what joburg says. It absolutely works.

Bucket trap needs to be the coke can type. Yall want me to link a video on those?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

newts posted:

Has anyone ever kept faverolles? I'm in love with their floof, but heard they can be loud. Maybe too loud for my neighbors...

The ones I've had have all been pretty quiet, but I also keep screamster eggers.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

multiple feeding points=chill roosters (*meat birds not included)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Treat list for today:

poultry- peanuts, lentils, oats
horses- peppermints and oats
llama- oats and spinach
rabbits- spinach and chard and a tiny wedge of apples
sheep- oats, oats, graham crackers
dogs- they're splitting a whole turkey
cats- with the cats, too.

what are you giving your #farmlyfe bros

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm very tired and I read that as oberyn not oberon and I thought you named him incredibly well for a moment

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Waffleopolis posted:

I need some advice. I had a neighbor behind me that kept 3 chickens in their backyard. They moved and left the chickens behind. The person who move in does not know what to do. I don't know what to do. They have started roaming the neighborhood to feed. We have safflower seed that we feed birds to feed them but that's it. We can't take care of them but we don't want them to get hurt by a car or a wandering dog or coyote. I feel bad for the new neighbor because this was forced upon her. Any idea that I can do to help?

send them to the processor and enjoy some chicken and dumplings on a cold winter night. https://unclecharliesmeats.com/locations/processing-plant/ these folks might know someone!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

holy poo poo they lived to come out from under mom. Truly, this has already become an impressive feat.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Alterian posted:

Any recommendations for places to buy live insects on the internet? I'm in the southern US if that matters. Related: Anybody raise their own mealworms or other insects? Any recommended guides?

"Southern US" doesn't help. Give us a city/state near you.

I know about a billion different places. Some ship, some don't, and you'd be in great if you have one near you so you can just go get them instead of stressing them in shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

Stressed bugs is a new concept to me.

If they were going to just be fed, yeah, rainbow.

spookygonk posted:

Sorry everyone.

Queen Pip the Glorious has passed away.

sorry about pip