Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

This morning I did a breakout on big eggs gathered in the last two days--infertile!!! So the kid and I are heading out into the run with a pair of scissors right now to give everyone a butt haircut.

WEEDCAT!!!! :argh:

I can only imagine this being put on a resume: Professional Chicken Brazilian Clipper.

I also imagine the chickens aren't exactly big fans of this treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Also, Yoya the Giant Cochin has joined Wiggles in the broody hen department!

If they're both broody, will you split the babies between them? I kinda want to see two mommas, one huge and one tiny.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Ill try to take some new ones but nobody is in good shape right now because ive clipped all their asses for the hot weather.

You do know that is a reason for MORE pictures, not less, right? :frogc00l:

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Inveigle posted:

Don't know why rice is worse to clean up than bird seed, but evidently rice on slick, hard surfaces can cause people to slip and fall. I suspect that most places prefer that nothing be thrown at all (including movie theaters during "Rocky Horror Picture Show").

Rice when wet turns into a sticky glue-like mess. Moreso when it's been crushed after being stomped on. Not only hard to clean it up, but anything else it touches becomes glued to the ground. (Ever had mochi? Now, stick that onto the floor. Yeah.)

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Well we're coming down to the wire... the chick brooder box is built (and is almost ridiculously huge) and ready to go, and the eggs get their last day of turning tomorrow (and a final candling) before going into their three day lockdown. I'm candling the second batch of eggs on Friday night to see if any have developed, so I'll know then if we'll have a second hatch on May 4th. Although we have 4 broodies at the moment, I think either Wiggles or Yoya will be recruited for a mom. Yoya would be the better choice since she's bigger & fluffier, but Wiggles REALLY wants it.

Wiggles for the comedy option of tiny momma and big brood!

Also, figures the hatch will probably begin while I'm on vacation. Any idea when the Naming/Hatching thread goes up? Will it be like last year's hat system?

I want to get in my "Queen Elizabeak" nomination early. (Also try to sneak in a "Kriemhild Gretchen" too...)

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Chido posted:

It's been really hot these last 2 days, so I'm progressing slow in changing coops, but I'm gettign there. I got the hoes new nest boxes and they've already use, and got the new waterer ready and I'll use it tomorrow. It's so weird to look outside and not see Roo walking around or boking outside the kitchen :smith:

I'd like to imagine that Roostroyer donning some sorta Build-A-Bear Spartan battle armor, then valiantly giving his life fighting off a Lovecraftian Ancient One Horror to save his henhoes, Chido, & Family.

That is not the truth, but it's how I like to remember him. :unsmith:

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

I made a thing, in tribute to Roostroyer.

(Yes, perfectly playable in Arkham Horror. Not entirely sure on the balance, but what the hey...)

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Chido posted:

The Cthulu references an Vaga42Bond's character sheet she made of Roo have made me feel like writing the history of how i got Roo and the hoes from a Lovecraftian perspective. Fluffy chickens fighting octopii :3:

He made. Thank you.

And it's an Investigator Card from Arkham Horror. There's an Let's Play for it going on right now.

(Yes, perfectly playable in Arkham Horror. Not entirely balanced, but what the hey...)

Vaga42Bond fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 10, 2013

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I cant remember any Chickam assists that survived. :smith:

Inveigle posted:

VS assisted one of the Light Brahmas this past hatch, but I can't recall if it was the one that died. I remember that it was a really BIG chick so it had a hard time shifting around inside the shell to get out.

I think Roostroyer was, being such a big boy he couldn't turn around properly. :unsmith:
Tho the overall success rate is pretty pisspoor.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Dunno about this heat we're having...it's been 100 degrees for the last week, today got up to 105, tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter and this will last for at least the next 4 days or so.

The chickens are handling the heat OK but not great. Tonight Kiev, our Giant Cochin hen hatched last year, is obviously suffering. She had been drinking tons of water and was hanging out next to my feet (something she doesn't do) and looking unhappy.

We go out every hour during the day and hose off the chickens, coop & run to keep them cool, plus we have a large pan of water in the coop for them to wade in (they love to do this on hot days) and I've been making them 'chicken popsicles'--I take a big plastic dish and fill it with chopped veggies & fruit, top off the dish with water & freeze it. It gives them a nice cold snack during the hottest part of the day as it slowly melts.

Anyone else battling the heat with their chickens? This sucks and I'm afraid I'll lose some birds but don't know what else I can do. :(
Not sure if it works for chickens, but on humans, get a spray bottle, fill it with water, and spray away at them. If you've ever been to some amusement parks in the summer, many of them now have misters/sprayers to keep people cool down while in line, and prevent heatstroke occurrences.

Maybe set up a sprinkler and let it run in the run with them?

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Pogonodon posted:

Well, the constant rain has taken a heavy toll.
So far, I've lost two pied guinea keets, one seven month old turkey, one white d'uccle rooster and the lavender keet I handfed for weeks to get her over sourcrop. :smithicide:
Plus I just had to bring one of the adult guineas in and stick her under a heatlamp in the brooder. Turns out adults can't take two months of rain either! Tonight will be fun, she's a real screamer when she's not actively dying.

Where on Earth are you to have two months of nonstop rain, and how are you not living on an Ark? Or are you...?

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

On the Duct Tape Island Special of Mythbusters, nobody told Adam Savage that chickens can fly either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op-lPcNRWZc

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Those duck pics remind me of one of my favorite Mythbusters one-liners, "Quack, drat you!"

Also: So many ducks! (0:38 for the line.)

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

The BBC had a special about The Private Lives of Chickens.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

After that BBC Special, I say name him Lloyd.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Ohhhh. If you have a "D-" naming thing there, how about Dillinger?

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

I found this cute little video of baby chicks arriving through the mail. :keke:

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

I keep forgetting to mention, but these were on Dave Barry's 2013 Gift Guide:

Dave Barry posted:

CHICKEN DIAPERS
$12.50 plus shipping and handling from pamperyourpoultry.com
Suggested by Ronald Glondys of Venice, Fla.

Why does your chicken need a diaper? Here's a helpful quote from the folks at Pampered Poultry:

"Our diapers fit comfortably and allow you to enjoy your birds in the house or car without worry!"

So if you know people who wish to enjoy birds in their houses or cars — and far be it from us, in the 21st century, to judge these people — then this is the gift you are looking for. The diapers come in a variety of fashionable colors that will go with any décor as long as you keep the lights fairly dim.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/24/3778623/chicken-diapers.html

Dave Barry posted:

CHICKEN BRASSIERE
$19.99 plus shipping and handling from hensaver.com
Suggested by Terry Spurgin of Bedford, Texas

A question that we have all asked ourselves is: "Does my chicken need a brassiere?" To answer that question, let's refer to the website of the company that sells the Birdy Bra:

"The Birdy Bra not only supports a slow or pendulous crop but can protect a bird's chest, which is a common location of pecking of hens by other hens. Once blood is drawn the pecking can escalate, resulting in infection and even death. Our Birdy Bra can also be used on parrots that self mutilate."

That's right, people: If you are not putting a brassiere on your hen (or self-mutilating parrot) (which would be a good name for a rock band) you could very well be contributing to its DEATH. So if you, or some person on your holiday list, would prefer not to be thought of as a heartless murderer of fowl, this brassiere is the perfect gift item. It comes in a variety of sizes and colors, as well as instructions that probably make a ton of sense if you are in possession of an actual chicken.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/24/3778627/chicken-brassiere.html

So, gotta ask. How much use in reality will they have for people with chickens?

Vaga42Bond fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 18, 2013

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I can only assume that these chickens do not walk as we understand the term, and instead roll around like feathery Katamaris, gathering more and more chickens to add to their bulk as they go.

Funny you should mention that...

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Some chickens I encountered in the parking lot of an amusement park in New Zealand. (A farm was next door...)

THIS cheeky fellow was quite persistent in trying to beg for treats from me and others. He eventually resorted to pecking at pant cuffs for attention.

In addition to chickens, cows, and sheep, they were raising these fellows!

This is a Pukeko, a funny blue-ish bird. Notable for being quite a pest in gardens, as one story I heard about them was one was carefully eating the seeds behind some poor schmuck planting. (He showed up outside a hotel one morning.)

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Vaga42Bond, in answer to your question in chat, my best guess would be a mix that includes Easter Eggers.

Quite interesting but I guess that makes sense given the frequent free-rangers there. (A notable lack of very many predators will do that, probably.)

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

The Los Angeles Times has an article about backyard chickens.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-0702-lopez-chickens-20140702-column.html

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

AHAHAHA, we're getting dense smoke again from several huge California wildfires, just like last year. Our AQI right now is 197, 'Very Unhealthy'.

Don't worry, if I have to bring the chickens into the house again I'll get pictures and start the webcam. *sigh* :suicide:

At this point, maybe you should consider building an addition to the house for the chickens...

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Hopefully relevant enough, but a friend of mine is making a webcomic about the last chicken in the universe.

http://www.cluckedcomic.com/

quote:

When a chicken lands on Earth in search of kin, he discovers that not only is his kind considered the tastiest thing in the universe… he’s also the only one left. Can he survive the hungering hordes, cosmic chases and entirety of the Galactic Federation long enough to save his homeworld?

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yoya says 'Hi...'

All fat & fluffy and ready for winter...just in time for National Hug A Chicken Day, huggable and squishy-soft as she should be. :v:

Oh gods, I remember when she was just being broody as all heck and fluffed up in other pics.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Now to decide what we will hatch next Spring...

You want a kiwi. You really want a kiwi. Kiwi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

My friend was going home (while carrying a rotisserie chicken dinner, of all things), when she encountered this fellow.

Any identification as to what breed he is?