Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So my dorkettes are about 9 weeks old right now and are allowed to spend most of the day in the area outside their coop/run. No matter what time of day they come out they immediately start running around flapping and sparring and going berserk for about 10 minutes. Then they get down to the business of eating every living thing in sight. Teenage chickens are funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I put out a flock block and of course we get torrential rain that night so now it’s a flock.... hill? of scratch basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gfptOf56qo

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 25, 2020

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Hill or block, it’s still tasty for the flock!

How old are they?

About 8 weeks right now.

It’s funny 8 weeks and the meat birds were 5-6 lbs each and the Roos were heading off to camp freezer. These things are lucky if they are a pound.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 25, 2020

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

I shudder to think and is why I don’t eat commercial bought chicken

A friend of mine did a doco on meat a couple of years back and spent a few months in a barn raised meat chicken farm. He came back with some pretty bleak stories and footage.

Yep that’s why I raised my own. They had a short but good life with lots of treats and wandering and one bad day at the end.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Joburg posted:

Right now I raise rabbits for most of our meat but I’m planning to raise some buff orpingtons for meat next year, rather than just eat the few roosters or old layers that we end up with. I really like the more complex flavor and texture of the dual purpose chickens but anything home raised is tasty!

I raised freedom rangers but I’m tempted to try speckled Sussex.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Nettle Soup posted:

I might if I knew who raised it and how, like it was one of the chickens you guys raised up there or something similar, but I just feel too bad, and I don't have the heart to process them myself.

I do miss chicken nuggets sometimes though...

I dont process mine myself. There is a very nice family owned processor an hour from me that I have toured and seen them in action. They are very professional and handle the birds as humanely as possible.

The only thing the bird knows is it’s being turned upside down, seconds after their feet are in the holders the next person has an electric knife and stuns them and cuts the throat. They are dead right after that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Enfys posted:

spookygonk has a vet who puts in an implant that stops them laying. I really wish I could find a vet here for that as egg laying issues are what seem to do my ex-batts in eventually.

That’s suprelorin. It’s pretty common, you should be able to find a vet to implant it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The reaction of the other two is hysterical

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Roos frustrate the crap out of me. Why can’t they just chill out with some chill cake and be chill??? No point looking all handsome if you’re not going be be chill. Chill out!

We’ve tried keeping roosters on a number of occasions. Never seems to work out. The bantam Roos seem to be more aggressive toward the kids for some reason. That red line...

When I was raising my meat birds I had 12 Roos. Once they got big enough all they did was crow and beat the poo poo out of each other. That’s why they went to freezer camp at 9 weeks and the girls went at 13 weeks. I wanted the girls to have a month of peace and quiet. Had they not been destined to die at 18 months I would have kept them they were so sweet.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I have decided my newest flock is about as dumb as you can get. It’s painful how stupid they are. While the weather has been nice I put in their new roosting bars with a wire floor under them to allow the poop to fall through. There is a ramp right behind this to allow them access. They have been happily roosting for a week now. I finally placed the front wall on to close off the roosting space for the winter since it’s about to drop into the 20s and I figured they would go up the ramp to go to sleep.
I WAS WRONG!!
Instead they kept trying to fly upward and kept smashing into the wiring or the side of the new wall. Keep in mind the ramp is 10 inches away. I thought one of them killed herself because she flew as hard as possible face first into the welded wire poop screen and then just smashed downward. Just.... idiots. I spent an hour teaching then how walk up the ramp.
100% chance they die in there tomorrow of thirst by not figuring out how to walk down the ramp.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Alterian posted:

One of my dumdums doesn't like my nest boxes.

But she built herself a very nice alternative

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Alright!! My idiot morons figured out the ladder. Now I have to remove the board blocking the light and maybe they will still walk up the ladder. Probably not though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So the girls dont like snow. 12 of the idiots stayed inside, these 3 idiots decided to try something different.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Why is this cute little light Brahma inside on a towel?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So my girls decided they were super angry at the heating lamp in their roosting area and they knocked it outside and onto the ladder.

This promptly began igniting the ladder and causing smoke to billow out of the chicken coop and my wife to run upstairs screaming and waking me up this morning.

So now they have no heating lamp. And they refused to go upstairs because they couldn’t see. So I had to hold a flashlight up to allow them to walk up the ramp at the pace they felt was needed and find their spots on the roosts. This resulted in me standing in 20 degree snow with a flashlight waiting for chickens to go upstairs for 15 minutes.

I’m not going to need to kill them they are going to die of stupidity any day now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Source4Leko posted:

Why are you using a heating lamp? Like everything I have ever read says they only start fires exactly how you just described.

Ask my wife. She demanded a heating lamp even though chicken don’t need one. She has changed her point of view now.

I tell everyone not to use them but you know.... she says it must be done it just be done.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 18, 2020

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

snake and bake posted:

Been busy for a while, just catching up. Sorry for those of you who lost birds recently :(

Here's a little brighter news for the thread

At least 2 of my ~25 week old hens finally started to lay in the last few days. Looks like one or both Easter Eggers made the green eggs, and the brown one's probably from the Australorp instead of the Buff Orp.

They're no more than a week or 2 apart in age but you can see that the Australorp matured way faster than the Buff Orp.

Edit: Oh, and a couple weeks ago 2 jacked up pitbulls invaded my yard and scared the poo poo out my hens, which might have delayed laying. Luckily they stay in their run and that Eglu stuff is sturdy as hell. I got it to keep out bobcats and coyotes, so the dogs didn't break in it. Hens were unhurt but noticably traumatized for a while. :(

That’s black headed Easter egger is hysterically cute

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

snake and bake posted:

I :love: bearded hens

It’s the fluffy tube neck they have that cracks me up. I only have one Easter egger this time and the fat neck head chicken stands out around all the thin necked tiny head birds.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Joburg posted:

I need a name for this lady. She’s a Partridge Rock that I got for her brooding abilities. The family I got her from said she hatched and raised 2 chicks for them last summer.

She’s very inquisitive and she loves to be held. And she pecks a lot. Yesterday she would have had my eye if I didn’t have my safety glasses on. My other friendly hen is named Bronco so I was mulling the name Chevy, but I don’t have any other great ideas.

Clearly Blazer if the other one is Bronco.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

perepelki posted:

hahahaha :kimchi: that is amazing and legit looks fantastic on her, i hope she forgives you

Yeah that’s not happening. Chickens are dumb as hell and can’t remember anything, but they can hold a loving grudge their entire lives.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Yooper posted:

Hi Chicken thread. We bought a house out of town and we're thinking of getting ducks or chickens. A few questions.

1. How well do they stay in the actual yard? We've got a bit of property but I don't want them waddling over to the neighbors.
2. Beyond food and a place to chill, what more do they need?
3. Is there a minimum amount we need?
4. Is there a recommended place to buy them other than Tractor Supply?

They don’t, you need a fence or they will wander off.
They need a ventilated draft free coop to roost, egg boxes to lay eggs, feeder, watered, keep some blue kote in hand for wounds.
I think 3 is a minimum but that’s just me.
I get my girls from Meyer hatchery.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

perepelki posted:

friday has five chicks, all of them stripy. she's managed to go all day without losing any; she puts me to shame.

Well she is closer in size to them and this is her new full time job so... it’s understandable.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Can you sneak the other two under her?

In other news my girls are grounded. I got a text from the neighbor who said the FedEx man asked if she knew who had chickens because there was a gang of them running around the alley/parking lot behind my house. 5 of the idiots had decided the run, fenced in area and the lawn wasn’t good enough and went around the garage and out back. They are all confined to quarters until I chicken proof the way over their fence.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 15, 2021

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
They didn’t learn anything from being grounded. I know the fence is only 3.5 feet tall and they can easily get over it but these four have their wings clipped and they still manage it. The other 10 are perfectly happy to wander in the enclosure and find all the treat we hide everywhere.

I’m fencing a large section of the backyard off this spring with a 6 foot decorative fence they won’t be able to get over hopefully.

https://i.imgur.com/SCyMLng.mp4

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Mine have been less than happy about the cold, but they still venture out when I go outside to see if I’m going to feed them something tasty.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Went out this morning to feed the girls their scratch since there is over a foot of snow on the ground and they don’t come out of the run often and one of my Brahmas was hiding upstairs in the coop. I went to check on her and picked her up and she had a 3 inch hole in her back that the other chickens and pecked into her exposing her hip bone and muscles.

So an hour and half drive to the chicken vet’s house later and she has about 20 stitches in her and is quarantined inside for the next two weeks with some nice medication. Hopefully she bounces back fine.

Stupid rear end chickens.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Quite possible the other chickens disemboweled her after she was killed. If she was killed from outside the cage and the chickens noticed when they got up they can do a lot of damage with their beaks as i was reminded yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Got our first two eggs today. A little pink one and a little white one. So that’s some good news.
Martha on the other hand isn’t doing well. After the vet sewed up her injured back she has been having crop issues. She’s on a slurry diet to see if her crop will empty out with increased amount of water. It’s hasn’t emptied in 3 days. She is still having bowel movements so something is getting through. We will see how she does.