Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Disco Nixon posted:

Yeah , they get rid of them pretty early, around 18 months while hens can keep laying until 5-6 years.
The only difference is that instead of laying 6-7 eggs a week they might lay 4-5 eggs.

Like replacing fluorescent lights in a large facility: it's probably makes more economic sense to simply replace them on a rotating schedule whether they *need* to be replaced or not.

It has to cost less to replace them early than get busted with cages full of dead birds every time the health inspector comes by :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Poop Drawer. No drafty fannies.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

What do you suppose has her attention?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Good news from my city last night: Backyard Chicken Ordinance should be finalized in the next 30 days or so. $50 per year for 5 hens is really steep ($20 per dog every 2 years) so hopefully they'll adjust that figure downwards. The $50 figure is the same as a pigeon license.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Next time the lottery gets super high you should have the chickens pick the numbers, VS.

Somewhat related: Chicken poo poo Bingo. Make a board, draw squares on it and number each one, place bets on your number and wait for the chicken to do it's thing.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Inveigle posted:

Lynza! Please post some photos of your flock. You know we all like seeing chicken photos here. :)

Stolen from TFR:

The Rat posted:

An hour later, armed and armoured, Khârn stood ready once more.
‘You don’t have to do this.’
Khârn looked at Kargos by the console. ‘Yes, I do. I’ve done it before. Open up.’

The Apothecary worked the key controls and the doors swung silently outwards. Beyond them, sticky with drying blood, a set of bone steps went down into the shadows. Another roar, wordless and deep-throated, came echoing up from the gloom.

Khârn walked forwards and let the darkness fold over him as Kargos swung the doors closed behind him. The first thing he heard was the dead whispering in the dark. The second thing was the beast’s breathing. Even his genhanced eyes couldn’t pierce the absolute lack of light. He walked slowly, drawing no weapon despite the temptation, listening to a daemon breathing in the black.

‘Khârn,’ said something unseen, from everywhere and nowhere. Whatever it was, it smelled of fresh graves and funeral pyres, and its teeth were wet.
‘Lord?’
Slow thunder answered. No, a laugh. A chuckle. ‘I am no one’s lord. I never was. Even less so now.’
Khârn swallowed, still edging through the dark. He heard the thing that had once been his gene-sire licking its maw.
‘I want something from you, Khârn.’
‘Name it.’
‘Hnnh. Take your axe. Take your brothers. Kill three hundred souls on the thrall decks.’
Khârn stared in the direction where he was sure the monster was at rest. ‘Why, sire? To what purpose?’
‘Three hundred of them. Take their mags.’

Khârn heard the thing smile, heard the wet peeling of its fanged maw curling into a grin. Something huge, winged, and wreathed in the smoke of dead souls tried to move closer to him, and strained against the rune-etched chains that bound it. He saw its eyes burning in the dark, orbs of ember-fire, the colour of boiling blood.
‘Take their mags, Khârn. Build me a throne.’

(Apologies to Aaron Demski-Bowden, author of the outstanding book [i]Betrayer[/], from which the above is taken.)

I can't be the only one going overboard. Post your ridiculous mag/clip/belt hordes, goons! :regd08: :zaeed: :ducksiren: :krakken: :catdrugs: :shrek:

(Note that I have good reason to stock up. I will stop buying mags, after 1 July 2013.)

The Rat posted:

He's a Polish rooster that I got by trolling cragslist for cock. Due to his complete timidity, he does not at all live up to his predecessor, who unfortunately had his head bitten off by a fox.

This one was a huge rear end in a top hat; chased people around and attacked them and everything. He was awesome.

Come on, I can't be the only one in TFR with a stash of mags. (I didn't have anywhere near this much till the CO legislature got lobotomized and started thrashing around.)

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

The Rat posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but those chickens look fabulous.:gay:

Indeed. I'm getting a Liberace vibe from them what with the spots and cape and whatnot.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Inveigle posted:

Do they have inhalers on Amazon? Order a few for Saturday delivery.

Prescription only unfortunately. I pay the copay and buy an "extra" inhaler off somebody with insurance every few years rather than pay the $50 prescription + $$appointment cost. I guess that makes me some sort of criminal but it seems ridiculous to pay that much money to breath easier a few times a year.

Lenswork posted:

Here's another photo of my little chicken family.

I'll be sad when they are big enough to go in the run with the grown chickens, but I won't miss the smell in the kitchen.

Awwww :kimchi: I can't wait to see what those little poof helmets turns into. Any more pictures of broody-mama? She's speck-tacular. That's a wonderful picture.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 23, 2013

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Have yall forgotten how to name a goon chicken?

Captain Loyd Zenspike Wigglesworth III, Esq.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
derp, wrong forum

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Most of my neighbours who raise chickens for eating as well as eggs have RIRs. They are nice reliable layers and then once they're a year or two old, they're nice and fat and ready for eating. They're also pretty good at free ranging, being smart enough to go in when it rains and tough enough to scare off most cats during the day.

So..... Boring.....

"Hey it's a flock of reddish hens that are nearly identical".... bleh

So booooring

looking.

Maybe I'll never have my own chickens but I can tell you now I'll never have a flock of RIR.

Gonna have lots of silkies (so cute! so fuzzy!) and serve black hotwings...

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Errant Gin Monks posted:

[RIR]

I only have one.

Sounds like plenty to me!
One or two seems fine but there are so many "heritage" breeds out there, ya know? Want me some silkies and frizzles and those frizzle-silikies and those japanese chickens that stand so upright and some of Tim's birds and a Roostroyer and a whole bunch of bantam mille fleur d'uccle
and
and
and...

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Velvet Sparrow posted:

And watch Tet for signs of a head injury--Silkies have a hole in their skull through which their brain protrudes, so thumps to the top of their heads can cause brain swelling and resultant difficulty with balance/walking. If that happens let me know, I have a treatment that's worked for me in the past.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

piscesbobbie posted:

I had a weird dream that humans could control the sex of hatching chick eggs by adjusting the temperature in the incubator (I know, weird dream!).

No, it's really not that odd. Temperature-dependent sex determination doesn't happen in chickens but it's a thing that exists for some reptile species. Sure would be handy if it worked with chickens!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Pretty sure that's been on the worst things for sale blog that's in heavy ad rotation here. So yeah, we've probably had a hand in writing those reviews.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Inveigle posted:

And now for a chicken photo from a Redditor. This roo's owner was trying to identify his breed and evidently he's a "Denizli Longcrower" and quite rare.

Video of a Denizli Longcrower crowing. VS, you REALLY need one of these! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqFkLvSoGto

Here's a second vid of the same roo, again crowing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuxfZVFzL6I

Have another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENSMDHYewy4

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
So surprising. Nettle's been holding out on us!

No goon-names for these chicks :argh:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

timg'd the tiny version of an imgur link!

"l" version

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

In chicken news here - it's finally rained so the chooks are loving being outside. Their favourite thing to do at the moment is sneak into the neighbour's pigeon paddock (the paddock attached to his pigeon coop), which is full of long, thick green panic grass that is about waist-high on me. For chickens it is like a delicious grassy forest. It's full of bugs as well as nice and cool. You can see where they are by watching the rustling of the grass and it's amusing when they come dashing through when you call them for grain or the bucket-o'-scraps.

Jungle Fowl!

quote:

With Alecto gone, the two little chickens are trying to figure out who gets to be boss chicken. But Agatha (brown chicken) is so nice and Virginia (white chicken) is so shy that they don't peck each other and have very gentle tussles for the best dustbathing spot/best spot on the roost. When they are both trying to get into the corner of the roost at night, they try sneaking under each other. Virginia also likes sitting as close to Agatha as she can, and even sometimes pokes her head under Agatha's wing when they are sleeping. :kimchi: They're both laying lots of eggs (Virginia's are white, Agatha's are mid brown) and are good friends with all the neighbour chickens and pigeons.

Awwwww
Double-Awwwww :kimchi:
Glad they finally decided to get along

quote:

Our neighbours who raise game bantams have recently added white bantam hens to their flock (if they're not game bantams as well they certainly look it - small combs, sharp angular tail, long legs) and has a flock of little adolescent chickens - they're grown up enough that you can mostly tell who's a rooster and who's a hen, but they still cheep instead of clucking. :3: The crazy neighbour has added geese, which Virginia and Agatha were rather frightened by until they realised they were on the other side of the fence. The neighbours with an extensive vegie patch have been getting a good haul now that the fence between their yard and our paddock has been fixed - no more chickens trying to dustbathe in their cabbage patch. Their chickens are enjoying getting fresh vegie scraps as well as green grass I throw over for them.

That sounds like a very active neighborhood!

The Rat posted:

It came out of a TFR Secret Santa package for me. According to the packaging, my Santa got it from someone on etsy.

I stay out of secret santa stuff and TFR secret santa sounds like a whole ball of worms I'm glad I knew nothing about. I mean my budget is "Buy Mishaco a new pair of black shades" so...

We could probably update:

I mean, we already have

and

(seconding the "hold a yardstick up next to WeedCat" BTW)

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Inveigle posted:

LOL! Mud hens! Now I want to see a photo of them wallowing in the mud!

Here ya go:

I hope "lounging" is ok. I couldn't find one of them wallowing.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Explosions! posted:

I got more chickens this year. God the meat ones are so loving huge. They're all 4 weeks old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G0stojwYjI
This was linked in the chickcam thread and it makes it really apparent just how much more weight a meat chicken has on it these days.

Just look at those breasts:

That thing looks strange and misshapen to my "costco rotisserie chicken" eyes.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Faerunner posted:

OMG SERAMA MAMA! :kimchi:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Backyard Chicken Keeping: they go so quickly.

I try not to be bothered by all the chickens passing on since it's such a regular occurrence but sometimes...

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh somehow my rear end split open, I will run from the humans and hide it until i... *dies*

:barf:
I tried to look up what "worm phobia" is called, multiple time, but I just keep clicking the windows closed.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

spookygonk posted:

You can almost see him just sighing, "They'll put me down in a moment if I just stay still."

Cross posting from the Cute Pictures Thread:

That looks familiar.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wywl-utVEv4

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Free chicken snacks sample: http://grubblyfarms.com/products/grubblies-free-sample

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Avshalom posted:

i'm worried about the crime baby, i had four other eggs that were meant to hatch at more or less the same time but they're not pipping yet :ohdear: will she be okay as a sole chick if they've died or whatever? is there anything i can do to make it easier on her? she has an ecoglow brooder and a tea towel to snuggle up to and she's quietened down and seems to be sleeping a lot. should i be handling her more than usual? put a quail in there?

Do you have other chickens already?

NVM I clicked the "?" under your name. You have, like, all the birds.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://i.imgur.com/NqOjBXS.gifv

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Reptile Gardens in Rapid City, SD used to have chicken cages where you'd drop in a quarter and the chicken would play basketball or tic tac toe or peck at a piano. On one hand it was pretty neat, on the other hand it was depressing to think chickens locked behind glass for amusement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okC7UF3Kg14

Rockome Gardens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-12N3kVh3Q

Fake edit: apparently these things were all over the place at roadside attractions. Tic-Tac-Toe seems to have stuck around the longest.

You can see a bunch in Werner Herzog's Stroszek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcoqeNdMAfA

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Broody bantam trying to balance on an ostrich egg.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
So graceful!

http://i.imgur.com/UoSQWI3.mp4

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Queuing up stupid names: pets shouldn't have people names.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Wonder if any of the chickens I've named have hatched chicks.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Toaster @ 2 months.

Tater Tot Hot Dish, aka "Tater":

]

Mailbox:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/reddit-dl/2h877hu24qw01.mp4

Tried a couple of options to embed. Click link for broody hen noises.

gyfcat link removed: it made a 15 second gif with no sound out of a 1:13 video with broody hen noises

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 10, 2018

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

McGiggins posted:

That girl really trusts and likes you! She didn't even get super freaky deaky like my mother's hens do, they'd rather peck and squeal-grumble than eat out of your hand while broody.

Just a quick thread reminder that I don't have chickens, I just post the most :shobon: pictures and gifs I run across.
I couldn't possibly raise chickens right now from my apartment even if I could afford the bureaucratic fees.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
TFR goon Sixgun Strumpet's quail, Boo.
With captions here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811637

More pictures of Boo:

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Post titled "Calling my chickens for treats"

https://cdn-b-east.streamable.com/video/mp4/tcyel.mp4?token=CQquOvIwrC3feHY0cORK3Q&expires=1538016891